PDA

View Full Version : [SPOILER] How about a LOK movie?

Pages : [1] 2

Robertus_Aurelius
24th Aug 2002, 00:38
Without a doubt, I wish one of the movie corp.'s would pick the blood omen/soul reaver series up and film a movie........none of that cheesy cr@p though

Umah Bloodomen
24th Aug 2002, 00:41
If this movie were to be made it would definately have to remain a CGI movie.. (hopefully done by Glyph X - the company responsible for the SR FMV).

This is the only way to ensure that the film would stay true to form with the plot elements and the voice castings.

I don't forsee this emerging as the great "blockbuster" hit. But a DVD release would be nice.

Naja
24th Aug 2002, 01:07
... most of the people I've heard talk about it are pretty much against a movie (because of how it would be destroyed and such). I think it would be cool, but those people did bring up some good points; check out Nosgoth.net forum, they have a big ol' section about this topic.... if you're interested.

Lady Kreliana
24th Aug 2002, 04:19
I think that Nosgoth's vast history would be too much to fit into a movie. I think that LoK would make a great mini series though. Maybe a five part mini series each episode spanning one hour. I think that'd be a sufficient amount of time to tell Nosgoth's stories to their fullest :)

Power reaver
24th Aug 2002, 04:59
If SR/BO did become movies alot of things would have to be changed , not the main plot , but things like abilities you got by killing stronger people etc , plus the glyphs and replacing all the puzzles with more challenging and interesting stuff , should be added . Plus the fighting should be really intense .

Rook
24th Aug 2002, 06:24
A Legacy Of Kain movie thread was finally started on the new forums! And, what's more, I'm not the one who started it this time!! I've been waiting for this forever!! :cool:

As I've said all along, I can't see LoK films done in anything less than glorious GlyphX CGI!! I can only imagine a live-action venture turning out badly. Either it would be cast badly, or it would be partially computer animated and the effects wouldn't blend. (Do I have faith in Hollywood, or what?:rolleyes: ) No, I would much rather see it all CGI like the SR intros.

As for issues I would rather not see incorporated in an LoK film, I only really have one I can think of. I would definitely prefer it if they didn't do the "telekinetic blood sucking" thing. What's the point of having fangs then?!

And just for kicks: www.glyphx.com

:D

KainSyndrome101
24th Aug 2002, 13:16
I think long, detailed novels by the creators would be better.

Rook
24th Aug 2002, 22:02
I'd give a big thumbs up to almost any LoK venture outside the confines of video games, be it books, or a movie, or something else. I did buy multiples of the action figures, after all.;) But I think I would much rather see a film (or series of films:eek: ) made of it than anything--just not a live-action film!

FierceClaw
26th Aug 2002, 09:08
Originally posted by Rook

As for issues I would rather not see incorporated in an LoK film, I only really have one I can think of. I would definitely prefer it if they didn't do the "telekinetic blood sucking" thing. What's the point of having fangs then?!

I always liked the "telekinetic blood sucking" thing. IMO, seeing Kain make a mess every time he got hungry would reduce his air of sophistication a bit. Besides, he's arrogant enough that he would look down upon "tainting" his lips by bringing them into contact with the flesh of humans ;) .

Rook
27th Aug 2002, 06:46
Maybe so.:D I don't necessarily think the telekinetic thing looks bad in-game. But, in a film, I can't be so sure. I thought the BO FMV of Vorador sucking up the Circle members' blood looked weird enough... Besides, one would hope that years--or centuries!--of practice would teach Kain how not to make a mess, so he may be very tidy when he takes an actual nip at somebody. We may never know... ;) :D

Nonetheless, it still begs the question: What's the point of having fangs then? ;)

Kobra Fang
19th Nov 2002, 22:45
What would I give for them to get in touch with WB or anyone and make the SR/BO FILMS! They could computer animate it, and I would maybe go to see it possibly 80-100 times in the month it comes out!

Should they make a film?

Yes?

No?

If anyone with enough authority at Eidos/Crystal reads this... well.....

Omega One
19th Nov 2002, 23:01
Love that last line!

But I'm not sure... Tomb Raider was great in my opinion, but others have said its not that good, so I'm inclined to take a step back from making the decision from game-to-film.

If computer generated, HELL YEAH! That would be so cool, ya could get the real voices in it then, and everything would be good, but what about plots? Taking actual games? As much as I'm addicted to the games, I don't think I could watch Raziel fumble his way around Nosgoth...

If its real people, then no. The voices wouldn't be right (don't dub, makes it look sad) and I personally hate it when voices arn't right.

But I voted YES! :D

Darakari
20th Nov 2002, 00:16
I was watching the extras on the Blade 2 DVD and the director Guillermo Del Toro was talking about his take on vampirism.

He explained how in Blade 2 he was trying to get away from the "romantisized" vampires like in Anne Rice's novels. He also explained about the introduction of the "Reapers" because he was trying to create vampires that were more animalistic. Vampires that were not at all romantic, but pure killing beasts.

He also expressed his wish to work with a vampire story that deals with vampires that have been around for millions of years. Vampires that are so old that they just don't care about anything anymore.

I really hope somebody brings a good script of SR1 for Guillermo to read. Dealing with animalistic vampires millions of years old sounds like a perfect fit for an SR1 movie. He did such a great job with Blade 2 that I am sure he could make one Kick-@$$ LOK movie.

Of course, they have to keep all the original dialogue and voice actors of the original. There is dialogue in these games that make awesome script for a movie. The LOK dialogue is irreplaceable.

chinese-soul-eater
20th Nov 2002, 04:51
I say no no no no

i would die if soul reaver or any LOK game turns out to be another tomb raider

in my opinion if they make a film it would jus cheapen the story line

so i say no

Rook
20th Nov 2002, 08:00
http://www.smilies.nl/iconss/icontup.gifMost definitely YES! I would love to see a film (or a series of films) based on the Legacy of Kain series!!http://www.smilies.nl/iconss/icontup.gif

I would have to say, though, that I can't see any film based on this series as a live-action venture. I would much rather see them as completely CGI films (like the intros to both Soul Reaver games), and hopefully done by GlyphX, also. I'd love to see an initial film based solely on the events in the original Blood Omen.

www.glyphx.com

Edit:
http://www.imagemagician.com/images/rook/generals/fudge.jpg

Welcome, Kobra Fang! http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/grinser/grinser003.gif

http://www.imagemagician.com/images/rook/Smileys/razsmfin.gif

blincoln
20th Nov 2002, 17:07
Guillermo Del Toro is rad on the Blade 2 DVD. I wasn't familiar with him before, but just hearing his commentary was enough to make me a fan.

Kobra Fang
20th Nov 2002, 21:15
[COLOR=royalblue]c'mon then... let's see sum script ideas![ :)

Omega One
20th Nov 2002, 21:32
Already started one ;)

Ok, my SR2 Dialogue file will have to wait... but I think I can come up with some pretty cool ideas :)

Gimmie a few weeks, and a thesaurus for those nice long words we know and love in the SR games ;)

Darakari
21st Nov 2002, 00:59
Guillermo Del Toro did an awesome job with Blade 2.
Blade 2 is even better than Blade 1.

I am positively absolutely confident that Guillermo could do the same thing for an LOK series of movies.

George Lucas has shown what can be done with CGI to make realistic environments in SW1 and SW2.

I say if Guillermo can turn BO1 into a blockbuster, then let him do the entire set of games as a series of movies.

Omega One
21st Nov 2002, 02:42
Having a bit of trouble coming up with the story-lines... I'm not sure if I should take directly from the game... I haven't played BO1 (yet - getting it on Friday though for the PS :D) so I'm at a loss at where to start it.

One idea (if not taken from game play), centered around the Elder God... that he becomes stronger as Nosgoth decays. He becomes so powerful that he collapses the Pillars and thus release the Hylden who seek vengance for their imprisonment. Only Kain and/or Raziel can save the day...

This would be great IMO, all people everywhere :)

FierceClaw
21st Nov 2002, 09:29
I'm strongly against there being any LoK movies for the following reasons:

Since the average movie audience isn't composed of the brightest of people, the movie studios would likely want the script dumbed down
A live-action LoK movie just wouldn't seem right and wouldn't accurately capture the look and feel of Nosgoth and its inhabitants, and fully animated movies (whether CGI or hand-drawn) cost too much time and money to convince a studio to devote such vast resources to a license as relatively obscure as LoK
Tthe people in charge of the movie would probably want celebrity voice actors, and we all know that the characters wouldn't seem right without the voices of Simon Templeman, Michael Bell, etc.
Blood Omen 1 and Soul Reaver 2, the two most important games story-wise in the series thus far, each have too big of a story to shrink down to a 2-3 hour movie without losing a lot of great material from the games
Hollywood loves to alter stories that are based on existing works (just compare the Minority Report movie to the short story for an example of this), and that wouldn't be a good thing with LoK

The LoK story was written for games, and as such, is best suited for this medium. The only other mediums in which I believe it could work are novels and comic books, and those still wouldn't be as enthralling as seeing the characters in their video game forms.

However, as Dennis Miller often says, "Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Valzara
21st Nov 2002, 09:59
Well, this subject had actually been discussed a lot of time at other LOK forum.

Anyway, if they really make a movie for LOK, It can be in computer animation, like the Final Fantasy( of course the story line will be much more better). Tomb Rider can be made up easier due to all human charactar inside, just imagine noone can play as Raziel or Sarafan Lord in that movie. So Computer animation will be more suitable.

Morbid Abyss
21st Nov 2002, 18:39
:D I think that a film should be made but it should all be animated tht would be awesome. Does any1 know whether blood omen 1 is out on pc?

Umah Bloodomen
21st Nov 2002, 23:38
Your best bet at locating a PC copy of BO1 is on Ebay.

Morte
22nd Nov 2002, 00:02
I concur with FierceClaw on this.
Except for one thing; it is possible to make a good CGI(the only way for this, in my opinion) film, or even something like a trilogy.
And length does not have to be restricted to two hours or some such, there are plenty of films that are four hours long.

There just have to be three things present for this concept to work well:
-money
-motivation
-dedication to the original storyline(including voice-actors)

As you might imagine, those things are not easily obtainable.
But it can be done, and it can be done well.

Lady Kreliana
22nd Nov 2002, 03:17
I don't think LoK would make a good movie at all, but I do think it'd make a great mini series. If they make it a miniseries (CG preferably), then they can take all of the game's complexity and break it into episodes. That way nothing would be lost in having to cut it into a 2 hour movie. If they'd make it into something like ten 1 hour episodes, they'd have 10 hours, as opposed to 2, to show the world of Nosgoth. THen they could release these on DVDs/VHS for fans to purchase and watch at their leisure. :)

Kobra Fang
22nd Nov 2002, 22:16
I am actually quite convinced that a series would actually be better than one (or a set of) LoK movie(s). Everyone post their script ideas here, and we'll try and get in touch with... whoever...:cool:

Omega One
23rd Nov 2002, 00:12
Originally posted by Morbid Abyss
Does any1 know whether blood omen 1 is out on pc?

Yes. Amazon.co.uk have it for £5 (without P&P) and it'll be released on the 13th December 2002, for the UK anyway :)

Since the average movie audience isn't composed of the brightest of people, the movie studios would likely want the script dumbed down

Exactly what a mate said last night when we were talking about it. Shame really, as its the whole complex and elaborate language that makes SR games great.

But, FierceClaw, if a person or a company was willing to spend time on it, and the money, and not dumb down the script as much as possible, would you want it then? ;)

Power reaver
24th Nov 2002, 11:48
Well , for LOK to be turned into a movie , there would have to be changes .
1) First of all , we shudent be following Raziel everywhere , then it wud juss seem like a game trailer . And for that some things wud have to be changed .
2) A lot more action shud be in tha movie , and the puzzle solving shud be cut completely , some extra boss like chars shud be added.
3) The Glyphs no doubt are cool , so are the elemental reavers , SR wouldent be SR without it , but all that puzzle solving is borin to watch , so like i said , some exciting fights shud be added here .

1 movie isnt enough by far for all tha games , there shud be 5 LOK movies , one for each game . The order of the release is also critical , as , if the ppl dont understand wats goin on then they will probably not attend the sequels . Thats y there shud be a lot of great fighting , to keep everyone interested .

Well thats my 2 cents ......

Duckman Drake
24th Nov 2002, 13:25
Super Mario Brothers. Tomb Raider. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. Resident Evil. HollyWood doesn't exactly have a good track record with converting games to movies, and it doesn't look like it's going to improve. We now live in a day and age where sequels to movies are guaranteed. We know there will be more Harry Potter, more Spider Man, more Rez Evil... the suspense is gone. HollyWood is obsessed with quantity and not quality. I was really looking forward to seeing Aliens Versus Predator done by somebody (anybody!) but now official word seems to be the guy that directed RE is going o be writing and directing AvP sometime in the future. So I look at it as doomed from the start. I'm looking foward to seeing what they will do to Half Life (another of my hallowed favorites). LoK was meant to be enjoyed as a game. A movi would only be good if it were produced solely by Crystal with all the same writers and voice talent. Nuff said.

FierceClaw
25th Nov 2002, 09:09
Originally posted by Duckman Drake
Super Mario Brothers. Tomb Raider. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. Resident Evil. HollyWood doesn't exactly have a good track record with converting games to movies, and it doesn't look like it's going to improve. We now live in a day and age where sequels to movies are guaranteed. We know there will be more Harry Potter, more Spider Man, more Rez Evil... the suspense is gone. HollyWood is obsessed with quantity and not quality. I was really looking forward to seeing Aliens Versus Predator done by somebody (anybody!) but now official word seems to be the guy that directed RE is going o be writing and directing AvP sometime in the future. So I look at it as doomed from the start. I'm looking foward to seeing what they will do to Half Life (another of my hallowed favorites). LoK was meant to be enjoyed as a game. A movi would only be good if it were produced solely by Crystal with all the same writers and voice talent. Nuff said.

I guess I'm in the minority since I enjoyed Final Fantasy...

I think there are a few games that would translate well to film, but not many:

Half-Life - lots of action, not much story
Max Payne - This game is practically begging to be made into a movie.
American McGee's Alice - I'm not sure how it'll turn out since Wes Craven is directing, but it would have been great if Tim Burton was at the helm.
Anachronox - It has a great story that could easily be compressed into a length suitable for a movie. In order to turn out well, however, it would have to be directed by the guy that directed the game's cutscenes, and the camera movements he tends to use would likely require that the movie be animated in some way (which would probably be the best way to go, as it would allow the characters to be voiced by the actors from the game).
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - I'm only about 15 missions into the game, but from what I've seen, it could make for a very entertaining movie, assuming they base it on the game's cutscenes rather than its gameplay.
Any Blizzard game - All of Blizzard's games have stories that would translate well to movies. I would prefer that any Blizzard movies be animated by their excellent cinematic department, but time limitations would make that impossible.

Morte
25th Nov 2002, 14:31
Originally posted by FierceClaw
I think there are a few games that would translate well to film, but not many:

Half-Life - lots of action, not much story
Max Payne - This game is practically begging to be made into a movie.
American McGee's Alice - I'm not sure how it'll turn out since Wes Craven is directing, but it would have been great if Tim Burton was at the helm.
Anachronox - It has a great story that could easily be compressed into a length suitable for a movie. In order to turn out well, however, it would have to be directed by the guy that directed the game's cutscenes, and the camera movements he tends to use would likely require that the movie be animated in some way (which would probably be the best way to go, as it would allow the characters to be voiced by the actors from the game).
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - I'm only about 15 missions into the game, but from what I've seen, it could make for a very entertaining movie, assuming they base it on the game's cutscenes rather than its gameplay.
Any Blizzard game - All of Blizzard's games have stories that would translate well to movies. I would prefer that any Blizzard movies be animated by their excellent cinematic department, but time limitations would make that impossible.

You can add Deus Ex and Outcast to that list, they both have great stories which could be well translated even into live-acting film. Provided of course, that the factors I mentioned in my post are met.

Kobra Fang
25th Nov 2002, 20:35
Okay... I contacted GlyphX (The people who made the graphics for SR) and according to them the LoK movies are "not in the cards" for them. Can anyone get in touch with Crystal, or has anyone got any... 'links'? :D

Duckman Drake
26th Nov 2002, 12:32
Okay, stay with me here... the version of Shenmue 2 released on the Xbox comes packed with Shenmue: The Movie, Its basically a 90 minute CG recap of the events of the first game. INSTEAD of a LoK movie, I'd like to see Crystal do something similar: package an extra disk with the next game that highlights the events of all four games (or, if its impractical thinking you can cram that much LoK on one disk, just the events of SR 1 and 2). I would prefer this over a botched HollyWood attempt at cashing in on the games, and it would be a great thank you to the fans who have stuck with the series over the years.

Embla
27th Nov 2002, 09:29
Oh, I would love that!

Okay, stay with me here... the version of Shenmue 2 released on the Xbox comes packed with Shenmue: The Movie, Its basically a 90 minute CG recap of the events of the first game. INSTEAD of a LoK movie, I'd like to see Crystal do something similar: package an extra disk with the next game that highlights the events of all four games (or, if its impractical thinking you can cram that much LoK on one disk, just the events of SR 1 and 2). I would prefer this over a botched HollyWood attempt at cashing in on the games, and it would be a great thank you to the fans who have stuck with the series over the years.

Normally, when games turns into films, the films turns out not as great as everyone had hoped, so I voted no.

But maybe a LOK film will be made anyway. Here is an article about the former Eidos president heading to Hollywood.

http://www.gamer.tv/page/feature/3316101.htm

Rook
27th Nov 2002, 10:28
Super Mario Brothers. Tomb Raider. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. Resident Evil. HollyWood doesn't exactly have a good track record with converting games to movies, and it doesn't look like it's going to improve.

But the LoK series has something that most other games, and particularly those that have been made into films, lack: a solid storyline with strong characters. It's very true that Hollywood could still make a perfect mess of something as phenomenal as that. In fact, it's highly likely. But I prefer to imagine it in the hands of people who care about the material and how it is presented. Under those circumstances, I would love to see an LoK film.

FierceClaw
27th Nov 2002, 10:31
Originally posted by Morte
You can add Deus Ex and Outcast to that list, they both have great stories which could be well translated even into live-acting film. Provided of course, that the factors I mentioned in my post are met.

I never got to finish Outcast (I'm going to eventually reinstall it and complete it one day), but from what I saw of it, it would certainly translate well. As far as Deus Ex goes, although it's my favorite game of all time, I wouldn't want it translated into a movie. The same things that could potentially ruin a Legacy of Kain movie apply equally to a Deus Ex movie. Unfortunately, it's already on its way to Hollywood.

levelwave
30th Nov 2002, 17:22
This has probably already been discussed but are there any plans in the works for a LoK movie?...

I honestly believe an incredibly deep movie could be made out of this series if it is made right... I'm not talking about the way they handled awful movies like Tomb Raider or Residen Evil... Nothing Hollywood or flashy...

Perhaps have Ann Rice write the script (minus the overbearing homosexual themes... we don't want Raziel becoming a Fairy on us now do we).. and maybe getting the Lord of the Rings guy to direct it...

I can just imagine this great dark epic with an intriguing story... It would have to be done WITHOUT cheesy actors though... Anyone have any good nominees for actors?...

Remember how cool the Demon looked in that old movie with Tom Cruise and princess?... I forget the name... Thats how I would imagine Kain looking... Maybe have Raziel played by Johnny Dep?...

Any ideas?...

Vampmaster
30th Nov 2002, 19:17
Nah, Amy would have to write the script for a Soul Reaver movie or Dennis Dyack for a Blood Omen movie or both.

solidsnake
30th Nov 2002, 21:49
that tom cruise movie was legend I think...

Rook
30th Nov 2002, 23:02
I'm gonna go ahead and say this every time a Legacy of Kain movie subject comes up....

:eek:Please, dear God, don't make it live-action!:eek:

I can't see a movie version of LoK in anything other than CGI. I sound like a broken record saying that all the time but, frankly, I can't think of any actors in Hollywood that I would actually want to see play these parts--and even if I could, they very likely wouldn't even be considered. Besides, I was far too awed by both the animation from the SR1&2 intros and the voice acting throughout the entire series to want to see or hear anyone else play those parts. And there are some things that just work better in an animated film than they would in live-action, like some of the costumes (which might seem odd on real people), and some of the environments.

Bottom line: CGI all the way, baby!!http://www.smilies.nl/iconss/icontup.gif

And just for kicks... www.glyphx.com

sonofraziel
1st Dec 2002, 02:25
if somebody did come with a idea to make a lok movie it whould
have to be in 3D like final fancey with the same voice actors from the game
that whould be nice if they did make it in 3D kain and raziel will look like them you no what i mean

I AM THE LAST OF THE WINGED RACE

I AM RAZIELS SON

:)

Mr_Freak
1st Dec 2002, 12:07
The only reason i would like to see the movie is because it takes ages for eidos to let the sr3 out :rolleyes: :D

Omega One
1st Dec 2002, 19:45
I'm gonna go ahead and say this every time a Legacy of Kain movie subject comes up....

:eek:Please, dear God, don't make it live-action!:eek:

I can't see a movie version of LoK in anything other than CGI. I sound like a broken record saying that all the time but, frankly, I can't think of any actors in Hollywood that I would actually want to see play these parts--and even if I could, they very likely wouldn't even be considered. Besides, I was far too awed by both the animation from the SR1&2 intros and the voice acting throughout the entire series to want to see or hear anyone else play those parts. And there are some things that just work better in an animated film than they would in live-action, like some of the costumes (which might seem odd on real people), and some of the environments.

Bottom line: CGI all the way, baby!!http://www.smilies.nl/iconss/icontup.gif

And just for kicks... www.glyphx.com

I have to agree. Real cast would just make it all wrong. No-one has similar looks to any of the cast (apart from Moebius, probably the only human in the game)... plus, you can't have the right voices, and I personally hate (with a passion) films that do not have the right voices or are even dubbed!

But yeah levelwave, this has already been discussed ;)

Rook
1st Dec 2002, 21:11
I think, if it was live-action (God forbid!) that Anthony Hopkins could play Moebius, but that's only coz that's who Moe reminded me of in the SR2 intro. :D

Of course, if it was live action (God forbid!), they'd probably have to make characters like Raz CGI anyway. (I mean, really, who has a waistline like that--that isn't a supermodel.:rolleyes: ) And that's where the other problem comes in: in most instances, CGI doesn't blend well with a real environment. Yes, there are movies that have done well at blending live-action and CGI together somewhat convincingly. But there are also films that have crashed and burned miserably trying to do the same thing (and ending up looking blatantly fake). If that possibility is even there, I'd prefer to avoid it and just go completely CGI.

I can't stand dubbed movies, either, Omega One. :D

chinese-soul-eater
1st Dec 2002, 22:38
i hope they dont make a movie im afraid that it WILL suck

Rook
1st Dec 2002, 22:52
Think positive! Just imagine how cool it would be if they actually did it right! http://www.imagemagician.com/images/rook/Smileys/pant.gif

Dragonissa Lunafire
3rd Dec 2002, 21:18
The only reason i would like to see the movie is because it takes ages for eidos to let the sr3 out

Ditto!

Omega One
3rd Dec 2002, 21:45
Originally posted by Mr_Freak
The only reason i would like to see the movie is because it takes ages for eidos to let the sr3 out :rolleyes: :D

Whoa, wait a minute! Don't rush genius!

It takes time to make great games :D

Omega One
4th Dec 2002, 11:44
Think positive! Just imagine how cool it would be if they actually did it right! http://www.imagemagician.com/images/rook/Smileys/pant.gif

Thats a mighty big [b]if[/i] Rook :(

Duckman Drake
4th Dec 2002, 14:44
Originally posted by Omega One
Whoa, wait a minute! Don't rush genius!

It takes time to make great games :D

Amen to that! I'm looking forward to SR3 more that Star Wars Episode 3!

Duckman Drake
4th Dec 2002, 14:51
No LoK HollyWood excursions: I think a bonus disc with the next game featuring full CG rendering of the events of the previous games would rock. All the same voice talent, written and directed by the gods at CrystalD. PAAAALLLEEEEZZZEEEE!!!

solidsnake
16th Dec 2002, 00:56
Yep... it's basically agreed then that it'd have to be CGI. How would u have different actors for each evolved Kain... seeing how they look drastically different (BO, BO2, and SR Kain). I'd love to see a big ass trilogy... that's the biggest I think they'd make it. Make em long like the Lord of the Rings. Just my two cents :)

the abyss
16th Dec 2002, 16:09
Honestly, I'd prefer a movie based on something other than the games. Maybe something along the lines of vorador's existence or maybe the Ancient battles (flying blue vamps swoopin in to lop off a hylden's head would be awesome). Although the games do have a fantastic story i believe they should be limited to just what they are, games.
As for cutting out the puzzles, I don't think it would be possible to keep the story working with that. The puzzles were vital to proving the point that the ancients wanted Raziel and only Raziel to enter and activate the forges, at least IMO.

JANOS_KING_OF_VAMPIRES
10th Jan 2003, 15:17
has any of the game dev. team considered making a movie of LOK, i am sure we would all see it

Baby_drew
10th Jan 2003, 15:45
althrough this would kinda be cool I think it would cost like wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than it would get bak but if they need media study type people to consult .... :-D

Riovanes
10th Jan 2003, 16:07
Considering the way most movies murder the CRAP out of the original stories they are derived from, this would be an awful idea. Look at the Final Fantasy movie - excellent franchise, HORRID film, lacking the inspiration, inventiveness, and the overall lustre of its parent games. What makes you think LoK would be any different? And more than this, the vampire theme has been done to death in Hollywood. If you look at the performance of vampire movies such as Blade II and others over the past few years, you'll see interest in vampiric films declining rather steadily - why in God's name would CD jump in on a venture that is currently on a downward trend? No money in that. In fact, there's a potential to take a serious loss.

On my own personal note, I wouldn't waste my time seeing this movie. Why, you ask? You're not an LoK fan if you wouldn't see this movie, you say! Well, do me a favor, and don't tell me what I am and am not - at least not before you hear me out. I've got three very good reasons why I'd never waste the eight bucks for this flick, if it came to be.

One, vampire movies, in general, are horrible. Popular culture has this perverted picture of the vampire as an esoteric creature, as opposed to the predators they originally were. In that, Hollywood actors have a tendency to WAY overdo vampiric characters, turning them into prattling fops rather than the deadly foes they SHOULD be portrayed as. Look at Lestat - would you honestly want some no-talent hack actor turning Raziel into that pansy? Not I, and I certainly wouldn't pay for the "privelege" of watching such a travesty.

Two, the games have already laid out the story. There is no direction in which you could take an LoK movie involving Kain, Raziel, or any of the other main characters that wouldn't be a complete rehashing of one of the four currently existing games - or that wouldn't give away the plot of any of the forthcoming titles. Call me crazy, but I can't see myself paying out the nose to see something when I already know how it's going to end, and the nuances of every little thing that goes along with it. Okay, I take that back, I paid to see both currently existing LotR movies, but that was because I wanted to see the physical picture of things I had only imagined in my head whilst reading the books. With LoK, it's different - we already know what everything looks like - the faces, the voices, etc. More than that, we haven't been passive observers to Raziel and Kain's sagas - we've lived them by playing through the games. We have fought the same battles, thrilled in the same triumphs, and cursed the same damnable defeats. To be forced to sit back and watch some actor portray Kain or Raziel in a way we never would've played them would ruin the experience.

Three, can you even CONCEIVE of the disparity between the Hollywood actors they'd choose for this thing, and the voice actors from the game? I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this, but though Simon Templeman is an incredible voice actor, he just doesn't have the physical presence to carry the character of Kain on film. He's not big enough, and certainly not angry enough. And more than Templeman, some of the voice actors were used for multiple characters - are you going to film them in different roles in the same scene? No. This might work for comedies and Eddie Murphy flicks, but certainly not LoK - LoK is all about suspension of disbelief, and my disbelief will be in no way suspended by seeing the same person as a vampire, a Sarafan, and a townsperson - it just doesn't work that way. So in this sense, it would be impossible to get a perfect translation from game to movie, and you KNOW how we fans are - if it isn't Simon Templeman's voice coming out of Kain's mouth, we're going to hate the film. Say what you will about lip-synching, but that never comes off properly, especially if there is a great disparity between the physical actor and the voice actor, it's going to sound hokey.

If they're going to do this flick, they'll basically HAVE to do it as a CG film - there's no way live action would carry the intensity and flexibility of the games properly - it just can't be done by the human body and the limitations of physically-grounded filmography. This is why I responded with a "no" in the poll - a live action movie would be TERRIBLE. A CG movie I might think better of, but would still likely not see, for the reasons listed above.

Face it, the only people that would see this movie are serious LoK fans, and I'll guarantee you that we don't make up a large enough market group to warrant the millions of dollars that would have to go into making a movie. Movies cost infinitely more to develop properly than video games - a venture of this magnitude would have to have some SERIOUS return profits, and I doubt our little corner of the gaming market is capable of delivering such a thing. Even the FF movie (since Final Fantasy has a MUCH larger fanbase than LoK does - at least for the time being) tanked out horribly - the precedent for game to movie conversion is one of failure, and not one I see CD taking anytime soon.

BAH!!!

Riovanes
10th Jan 2003, 16:09
And oh by the way, Janos, just so you know; posting an option such as, "No, movies are silly and I have no taste," is not only insulting to those of us who view the poll and may actually HAVE the opinion that film in general is a waste of time (which I do not, but that isn't the point), it's lacking in foresight. If you want people to take your poll seriously, do us all a favor and DON'T insult people by leaving arrogant options that devalue someone else's opinion as it differs from yours by labeling it as "having no taste." Joke or not, that's poor form, my friend, and not appreciated by most people.

BAH!!!

JANOS_KING_OF_VAMPIRES
10th Jan 2003, 17:34
that was clearly that joke option.

anyway, i would see a LOK movie, but it would have to be done right.

yes the video games are great, but we dont(at least i dont) get enough from the cinematic scenes

LOK has a great storyline, and it would be cool

on the other hand, i understand where your coming from and respect your opinion, if i didn't, i wouldn't have started this hread or made the poll, would I?

i am just a strong fan of vampires and it seems that LOK is the only good vampire saga out,. at this rate, i dont think i will see another vampire movie(a mythological one, that some sci fi one, like blade or queen of the damned)

well anyway, thanks for repling

darien_specter
10th Jan 2003, 18:20
I'm not going to comment on that 'realistic environments' in the Star Wars films... as a friend of mine said, ''90s George Lucas should never have been allowed to touch the work of '70s George Lucas"....

I've been a big proponant of LoK films, because I think that the storyline across the entire history of the world is good enough to be successfully divorced from the gaming environment. And while I love the idea of GlpyhX rendering a CG film, others might not handle it as well; and I still really think that most of it could be done live. AND with the actors themselves, with the sole exception of Michael Bell! If you look at the SR2 site sometime, and look at the cast photos, all of them but Michael Bell rather resemble their characters, Simon Templeman especially. (And I'd say that Bell's problem is mostly his age...) As for dubbing his voice over a different actor... well, that actually works better than you might think. (And the benefits of my theatre-major training strike again...) You see, very often in films, the dialogue you hear is not what was said at the time. A scene in a film is comprised of many different shots and takes spliced together; and sometimes (more often than not, actually, from what my friend the film studies major tells me) the actors come back in and record their lines as a new dialogue track, matching what was said in scenes where we see their face. And Michael Bell is a veteran voice actor with a resume as long as my arm. (And I'm a rather tall fellow!) So I wouldn't sweat something like that... so long as the actor doesn't mind his voice not appearing in the film. (See my hand being raised to volunteer for this position???!!!) As far as the objection that you couldn't have one actor play Kain at different stages of life... why yes you can. Because, as he ages, we just add more makeup and prosthetics... For instance, would Kain's head really be that much more difficult than a Klingon in Star Trek? Or an Uruk from Lord of the Rings? Those are all prosthetics and makeup. Raziel post-execution would probably have to be animated; but LOTR did an excellent job of that with Gollum. No problems there. The live angle would work, if done by someone with vision, as opposed to someone trying to merely cash in... like a Peter Jackson with fidelity to the story...

I've even been giving it thought again recently, and had thought of roughly three films that could comprise it. The problem is that translating the actual events that we play into film is a dicey trick. It would take some serious skill... But films could also help us see events that are difficult to render into a single-person game, such as the rise of Kain's empire (even though we all hope for this in BO3, I really can't think of a way that it could happen in a similar format.) So my proposed trilogy:

'Blood Omen': recounting the events that sparked BO1, and attempting to render that story in some fashion; lightly touching on BO2 (this is my film concept after all, if you thought BO2 was a great addition to the story make your own damn movie!); and then seeing the sweep of history unfold as Kain raids the Tomb of the Sarafan, raises his children, and builds his empire... and ends with the SR1 intro events: Raziel has grown wings, and presents them to his lord, who kills him; and we see the others hiding their awakening gifts (all of which, I've said before, could have been happening about then, and are much eaiser to conceal than great wings) as the empire collapses...

'Soul Reaver': the really tricky one... but begins with Raziel's execution, only this is his side of the tale, and continues through the events of SR1 and SR2, and maybe a bit of whatever comes next... we'd have to see. This one is the biggest problem, in that it would cover far less time, and so de-gaming the story would be somewhat trickier, but I think it could be done...

And a final installment, spanning that which have not yet seen, with a third title of some sort... but which would be the conclusion to the story. Unless, of course, SR3 ends with another 'To Be Continued...'

And that's my proposal... I"m done for the day...

Omega One
10th Jan 2003, 20:46
Another overlook of the search feature, me thinks...

The Amazing Rando
10th Jan 2003, 23:18
Originally posted by Omega One
Another overlook of the search feature, me thinks...

I second that. I'm pretty sure we now have enough lok movie/online game threads to last until sr3 comes out.

Rio, just noticed that you've had 2 posts in a row close together in time a few times lately. Anything up with that? Just want to separate the two points or forgetting about edit?

FireSnake
11th Jan 2003, 00:15
Thought I'd drop in a few short lines myself.

I voted 101% no.
I'd very much dislike to see LoK follow the footpath of Tomb Raider or any other movies listed below.
Super Mario Bros. (ESPECIALLY SUPER MARIO BROS.); Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within; Resident Evil; Dungeons & Dragons... all good examples.

... And wait till You see 'Return to Castle Wolfenstein - The Movie'...

-SIGH-

Besides - the movie is really diffcult to actually make, the only reasonable way is computer graphics (FF-TSW). I've heard a few people that Leonardo DiCaprio could play Raziel's fallen form...
Now that's just sad.
There will be a lot of problems with the movie, so better forget it for we're all going to be very, very, very disappointed.
The LoK Series theirselves serve as a nice movie. Leave it that way.

- Matthew

TempySmurf
11th Jan 2003, 00:33
Someone should make a combine threads feature.. :D

Omega One
11th Jan 2003, 03:34
vbulletin (the script this forum uses) does have such a feature.

Those with power should note a drop-down box near the bottom of the page. This contains all sorts such as close threads, delete threads, move/copy threads, and more importantly... merge threads ;)

I think its also done via the mod/admin CP - its been a while since I've had access to a vB CP so my memories a bit dodgy.

Riovanes
11th Jan 2003, 05:11
Originally posted by The Amazing Rando
I second that. I'm pretty sure we now have enough lok movie/online game threads to last until sr3 comes out.

Rio, just noticed that you've had 2 posts in a row close together in time a few times lately. Anything up with that? Just want to separate the two points or forgetting about edit?

Actually it's just been that I've been remembering things I wanted to say to someone I didn't include in the primary post five seconds after I got done posting, and creating a new post is a little faster than editing, because I write on the fly - and I can't do that if I have to make my new commentary jive with the writing of the previous post. Basically it's because I'm lazy.

BAH!!!

The Amazing Rando
11th Jan 2003, 06:35
Ah, okay. Just curious. I find it quicker to edit b/c then you don't have to wait for spam guard. I don't ever feel the need to "make my new commentary jive" with the rest. I don't think anyone really cares, so I just let the words fall as they may.

Rook
11th Jan 2003, 06:46
I wouldn't mind a CGI LoK film. The thought of a live-action one just makes me cringe.

the abyss
11th Jan 2003, 17:34
honestly i wouldn't mind seeingleonardo that badly mangled

Riovanes
11th Jan 2003, 19:33
This entire discussion has just recently been hashed over again in the LoK Chat forum... Man, we do hate to use that "search" feature, don't we?

BAH!!!

Umah Bloodomen
12th Jan 2003, 21:52
Originally posted by Riovanes
This entire discussion has just recently been hashed over again in the LoK Chat forum... Man, we do hate to use that "search" feature, don't we?

BAH!!!

That's my line, sir.

Riovanes
13th Jan 2003, 03:34
Really? I wasn't aware it had your name on it - and I've certainly seen some of your other legions of worshippers using it. S'matter, am I not good enough to be your sycophant too?

BAH!!!

Umah Bloodomen
13th Jan 2003, 03:42
Really? I wasn't aware it had your name on it - and I've certainly seen some of your other legions of worshippers using it. S'matter, am I not good enough to be your sycophant too?

BAH!!!

Why Mr. Riovanes, it would appear that you are clearly displaying a sense of jealousy over the fact I fail to consider you amongst those legions you speak of. :rolleyes:

"S'matter", are you upset that I don't consider children on the same intellectual level as myself?

Riovanes
13th Jan 2003, 03:45
Originally posted by Umah Bloodomen
Why Mr. Riovanes, it would appear that you are clearly displaying a sense of jealousy over the fact I fail to consider you amongst those legions you speak of. :rolleyes:

"S'matter", are you upset that I don't consider children on the same intellectual level as myself?

Gee, should I be hurt that I have enough of a personality and sense of self-worth that I don't have to worship every female that happens to appear on the internet? I don't think I'm too terribly hurt that I'm not amongst the sheep that drool over every word that comes forth from your fingertips - however, I do think perhaps you're a little miffed that I'm not so easily beguiled into being a total ass just for the sake of POSSIBLY having the attention of a woman - you know you live for the pathetic obsession some of these fools have with you - it's the sole reason you keep coming back.

BAH!!!

darien_specter
13th Jan 2003, 03:47
Well, some of us have been gone for several months, haven't made it to the Community forum yet, and are replying to topics as we see them...

I am glad to note that a point that I made this summer has found a greater acceptance! I guess I just got tired of it first... Maybe if more of us were to gently point out this sort of thing, we could reduce repetitions, in favor of someone who has a point on an old discussion instead sending that old discussion back up top, and thereby providing both new discussion on an old topic as well as the entirety of what has been said about it... This would be a good thing! :D

Edit: Remarks that were hasty and, upon reflection, off-topic and therefore inappropriate by my own standards :o have been edited.

darien_specter
13th Jan 2003, 04:29
Back to the topic of the thread at hand: FireSnake, you're absolutely right: no movie at all is far better to a bad, Boob-Raider-esque film rendition. But maybe if Amy were allowed to be at least a producer, and therefore exercise some control... though I suppose that defies Hollywood logic.

Who said DiCaprio? Yecchhh...

EDIT: to reflect the above edit.

darien_specter
13th Jan 2003, 06:33
Wow - Rio has, for the first time, made me question the viability of an LoK film... See, he made this point:

Two, the games have already laid out the story. There is no direction in which you could take an LoK movie involving Kain, Raziel, or any of the other main characters that wouldn't be a complete rehashing of one of the four currently existing games - or that wouldn't give away the plot of any of the forthcoming titles. Call me crazy, but I can't see myself paying out the nose to see something when I already know how it's going to end, and the nuances of every little thing that goes along with it. Okay, I take that back, I paid to see both currently existing LotR movies, but that was because I wanted to see the physical picture of things I had only imagined in my head whilst reading the books. With LoK, it's different - we already know what everything looks like - the faces, the voices, etc. More than that, we haven't been passive observers to Raziel and Kain's sagas - we've lived them by playing through the games. We have fought the same battles, thrilled in the same triumphs, and cursed the same damnable defeats. To be forced to sit back and watch some actor portray Kain or Raziel in a way we never would've played them would ruin the experience.

This reminded me of the attitude that Douglas Adams apparently developed over time... My sister has read 'The Salmon of Doubt', a posthumous compilation of stuff they found on his computer after he'd died. (If anyone else is a fan, about a third of it was the beginning of a new 'Dirk Gently' novel, which I have come to enjoy even more than the Hitchhiker's novels.) A few years ago, Adams published a game entitled Starship Titanic, developed around a one-paragraph anecdote in one of the Hitchhiker's novels. The basic format was 'Myst' style screen navigation and puzzle solving, with an inventory and a cast of interactive robots, with whom you could hold actual conversations - it had some sort of text parser or something which I don't understand very well, but which allowed you to type in anything that you damn well pleased, and they woud reply in kind. And of course, the whole game was infused with his wit. It was a hilarious game, and the conversation system made it hours of renewable fun - even when you knew how to beat it, it was still fun to go play it again and hold conversations.

The point of that story is that, as my sister tells me, the book contains an essay or something that he wrote after the game was published to the effect that he had come to the conclusion that games were more fun to do than novels, because through the game medium he could create a way for his fans to interact with the world that he had created, and in that way immerse themselved in it. Rio's comment reminded me of this idea, and the combination leads me to consider that it might well be significantly better to experience the history of Nosgoth directly, rather than sit in a cushy chair and watch a story we've all already played... (though I'm still rather fond of the idea of seeing the rise of the empire on the big screen... but I posted that idea and my defense of a live film in the SR version of this topic, and see little reason to repeat it...)

Morte
13th Jan 2003, 15:09
Must every thread degenerate into pointless arguing?

Azuriel
13th Jan 2003, 16:25
i also voted No, because of the same things Rio spoke off.

FireSnake
13th Jan 2003, 17:22
Looking at the polls it seems that actually people would like to see it.
As for the movie being a "hit", I don't agree not so too also much.
The Lord of the Rings is a hit, Harry Potter is a hit, Star Wars is a hit.
Now, don't get me wrong - if Amy and the LoK team assisted the film makers then I think that the community will indeed consider the LoK movie as a hit.
But I'm just afraid that if a non-fan sees the film, he thinks: "Bah, just another blue monster hopping around".
If a garage film producers are going to make the movie, then I'm just gonna hang myself. But if Amy helps, then it just might be something. If no then at least for us - the fans.
And I REALLY would like it to be computer-generated, becuase I really really really !!!DO NOT!!! wanna see Leo DiCaprio painted blue... :rolleyes:

- Matthew

DarkWraith
14th Jan 2003, 01:09
After seeing what has been done to vampire novels and computer games in the past ( excluding Blade I and II) i always find that directors take so many liberties with thing which are important to story lines. I understand that sometimes it is just too difficult to make things take form on screen. IStraying away from the topic and example of the liberties directors take is the Spiderman movie. although i enjoyed it they changed important things about spidey like his web shooter and the fact that parker appears in the movie to be so much more of a nerd than in the comics. (sue me i like spidey incidently did you know that stan lee the creator of spiderman got no royalties from that movie)

I just don't want to see LOK butchered by some director even one as good as Guillermo Del Toro

Lets leave LOK and the Soul Reaver series to those wonderful ppl who created him. God/ Gods bless you Crystal Dynamics/Eidos:D

Angel of Music
16th Jan 2003, 06:15
Chris, is there any way we could get an "official" response to this thread from you guys? You know we always appreciate info from the creators.

DarkWraith
16th Jan 2003, 08:50
amen to that brother

Lady Kreliana
20th Jan 2003, 03:12
If Leonardo DiCaprio would ever be casted as Raziel in a live action LoK movie (or have any role in an LoK movie), I'm going to have to borrow Tom Servo and Crow from Joel Hodgeson and MST it with my buddy Talos. :D

Duckman Drake
20th Jan 2003, 14:43
Don't Forget Gypsy!!!

Vampmaster
23rd Jan 2003, 12:17
IMO the reason that movies of games suck is that the games gave no plot to begin with, of the plot is altered beyond recognition or the writers try to include gameplay in the movie, which is impossible and makes no sense. If a movie were to be made, it would have to be written by Amy and have nothing that is only good in a game such as the glowing orbs appearing in a circle (glyph menu) when ever he want's to use a glyph.

Nigel
7th Feb 2003, 00:44
Any Shenmue Fan will tell you that included in Shenmue II for the xbox was Shenmue the movie. It was basically every cut scene put together in a movie format to retell the entire story of Shenmue.

Personally, Id really like this for LOK. I know its unrealistic with the different engines, cg movies etc from BO, Bo2, Sr, and Sr2 but its just a thought. I love the story and the crazy complex paradoxs and charater from the series and I really like to watch the cut scenes over, but sometimes dont want to play through just to see them again.

If they sold this would anyone buy it? I think I would for a reasonable price. Kinda like super uber extras like those in SR2

warpsavant
7th Feb 2003, 01:01
I'd buy it, but I really don't see them making it.

Nigel
7th Feb 2003, 01:47
Yea, as I said there is no way they would ever do this but it would be something really neat to sit down and watch 45 min of story goodness

Jeffers
7th Feb 2003, 23:33
I would buy it if they did do this kind of thing.

I would definatly make a point of going out and buying it whether I had enough money or not if it was fully render by GlyphX like the beginning of Soul Reaver 2 was. :)

Jeffers

Omega One
8th Feb 2003, 01:38
I swore I posted something about using the search funtion... hmm *thinks*

Raziel689
28th Feb 2003, 02:20
It sounds like a great idea in theory, but I can't imagine how long it would take. Does anyone have any idea how long the SR2 intro movie took to make?

Stone Cold
28th Feb 2003, 10:21
*Passes a beer to Nigel*
Always glad to see a fellow Shenmue fan.

Reidbynature
9th Sep 2003, 14:49
Like many other LOK fans, I too would like to see an LOK movie. The good thing is that we could keep the original cast.

I've seen Simon Templeman on Just Shoot Me (he acts like Ozzy Osbourne and goes out with Nina). He could easily be Kain. Pre-diety or not. And Raz would probably have to be CGI even if he wasn't Micheal Bell could stilll V.O.

Rene Auberjonois could be Janos in make-up. The good thing is that either through being there on set or still being a V.O. The original cast could keep their jobs.

The bad thing is the cost would sky rocket. I doubt an LOK film is really possable at the time.

An anime however would be ideal. You could keep the look of the videogames and look of the promotional art. You could even do an anime on every individual game.

I know there are not a lot of American anime's but Kurt Russel and John Carpenter are doing the third 'Escape from...' movie as an anime. They have got the makers of Ghost in the shell on board. Plus it would be cheaper. Once again original cast would be on board (yah).

N0V4
13th Sep 2003, 18:43
Not that anyones cares about my opinion since I hardly ever post.

I think that a movie would be nice, but in Manga.
Vampire Movies are great... I mean, I loved Dracula 2000.
But Vampire Manga is waaay better, look at Vampire Hunter D : Bloodlust.

I think a Manga film of the Legacy of Kain series would be great but they should take time long after or long before the game timeline.

But the chances of going to someone like WB and getting funds for making that thing arent big...
Game Movies aren't always good.... Look at Tomb Raider.
Everyone watched the 1st one Im sure, but I think that hardly anyone went to the movies to see the 2nd.
I know I didnt anyways :P.

Just my 2 cents.

Now excuse me while I go hide in the shadows again...watching, in peace.

Flaming demoness
17th Sep 2003, 19:03
hmm.....in fact,i think i've allready had about 3 dreams concerning a lok movie...I think it would be kinda cool.But the charachters have to be either real people...or 3D like final fantasy....hey,i wonder what would happen if they had to make it a TV series ? Cartoons for example...or mabye not...

vampire of balance
20th Sep 2003, 11:52
LOK movie is the worst idea I have ever heard.
This way the series will lose it's unique style of "puzzle story" .. if you know what I mean..

Matt from Spam Buddies
20th Sep 2003, 13:06
Worst idea ever?

Naah. Tetris, Pong or a Pac-Man movie... Now that would scare the jibblies outta me.

- Matthew

vampire of balance
21st Sep 2003, 13:30
Originally posted by Matt from Spam Buddies
Naah. Tetris, Pong or a Pac-Man movie...
Disney can make a movie from everything. They have a movie with talking dinosauros. Why not talking( and singing) tetris blocks :D

Jag
22nd Sep 2003, 06:51
Originally posted by vampire of balance
Disney can make a movie from everything. They have a movie with talking dinosauros. Why not talking( and singing) tetris blocks :D

"Just lloking for the perfect spot, yes the perfect spot. That one tight space where I can fit in! Yea!"

Anyway, I would watch a LoK movie, but I do not recommend that one is made...
As the above posts have mentioned, cost, look & fell, and overall quality would most likely be utter crap...
But I love LoK, so I would watch it if it came out :p

darien_specter
22nd Sep 2003, 23:15
It having been a very long time since I'd wandered through all the wonderful new stuff at Nosgoth.net, I was doing so, and saw the wonderful way he set up the SR2 credits page. And that led me to want to make a point in support of a live film... Now, I've written about that a lot, and I do believe that if the right attitude were taken towards it - by which I mean, respect for it as a story, not to just make a schlocky game movie out of it - that it could be done very well, and as has been noted above and elsewhere by me, performed by the original cast. Seeing the cast headshots on the old SR2 site first put me in mind of this... but I invite everyone to have a look at this page (be sure to scroll down to the cast section) (http://www.nosgoth.net/sr2/credits.htm)... I love how he even captured screenshots of the characters in poses similar to their headshots! Kudos to you, keeper of Nosgoth.net... :D But take note of how much the characters and actors look alike (except for Raziel, and the Elder - of course); and imagine the possibilites...

Alastor
2nd Oct 2003, 17:34
Well maybe not a movie... but what about an animated series, with all the original voice actors and a well done animations?

Viator
4th Oct 2003, 18:17
What a wonderful idea! ^_^

I've dreamt of a LoK movie for a long time, but in CGI, NEVER EVER EVER with human actors (NEVER EVER). God forbid Hollywood from ever getting their hands on LoK and putting pretty boy, no talent actors to play Kain or Raziel. Sends shivers down my spine! Brrrrrr....
Someone mentioned an animated series and I think it would be a good idea IF handled carefully, otherwise it might end up as just another 'politically correct, crowd pleasing piece of....'
Ahem...
Maybe something like the animatrix stuff released for the Matrix series. I despise the Matrix series (a personal opinion), but I found the use of the animatrix 'featurettes' as rather nice.
maybe something like that as a bonus feature in future games.
Let us pray to our particular deities this may happen...
Anyway, if there was a series/movie, CGI would be the way to go. Something like the SR jaw dropping opening movies. In that particular style and no other. I must admit, when I saw the CGI opening movie on a SR demo I ran out and bought myself a copy. I went hungry for a couple of days but I've never regretted it.:)
Ah! to see pre fallen Raziel for more than thirty seconds on screen and to follow the intrigues of Kain's vampire court for a day. Delicious!:D
Then again, this also must be well animated, quality stuff, not the cheaply produced stuff like some shows I will not mention here.
Trust me, they looked cheap and the plot was worse.
So, if it ever happens, where and when would it be set?
It would be pretty daft to base it on any of the games (existing or planned) because no two people have the same experiences playing any of these, although we face the same challenges.
Maybe following the rise of Kain's fledgeling empire would be nice, and different, but it might never get approved by censors, particularly the 'godforbidweseeanygorescaredyjanies', who would reduce all the lovely gory bits of a vampiric Nosgoth to nothing. The sad fate of many a potentially cool show.
Would they ever give a G or PG rating to a show where:
A) the hero is a vampire set on world domination or a soul devouring spectral creature set on vengeance
B) the show has plenty of blood, battles and gore but no car chases
C) there is no exploitive use of blondes, or women in general
D) there is no perky sidekick making idiotic wisecracks, no tough girl who needs rescuing every chapter and no elves or vulcans
E) no profanity and no canned laughter every two minutes
F) there are no token actors (or any actors) as approved by hollywood and due for an oscar if the show/movie succeeds
and
G)there are no 'be good' messages at the end (remember kids, uncle Kain always brushes after every meal)

MAybe the 'animatrix' featurette stuff as a game bonus feaure would be the way to go, but as for a movie/ series, although I would love to see it...
Alas!, Political correctness will damn us all in the end!:(

vampire of balance
5th Oct 2003, 17:41
Originally posted by Viator
Maybe something like the animatrix stuff released for the Matrix series.
HELL YEAAA :D Thats a bullseye idea!;) If they make a DVD with unrelated short films in Nosgoth universe with the style and beauty of Animatrix I'll be very happy. They must be enigmatic to let us wonder what happens :) and they must hint us some elements from the games

Viator
8th Oct 2003, 12:38
Cool! I've finally come up with a good idea.:)
Who should I write to to suggest it? Any particular department?
Would they be terribly annoyed or simpy file and forget it?:confused:
I think the main expense would be in using the game's voice actors, but then again, not using them would see loyal fans rioting through the streets within twenty four hours.
If worse comes to worse there's always the LoK Drinking game:
(I suggest backcurrant juice or V8. Any form of alcohol would be lethal and frankly, only the foolhardy drink...wine)
Ready?
Take a drink every time Raz devours a soul in SR 1 & 2
Take a drink for every time Kain says "vae victus" in BO
Take a drink for every time Kain takes a 'drink' in BO2
Take a drink for every Sarafan killed in SR2

vampire of balance
10th Oct 2003, 10:42
Originally posted by Viator
Cool! I've finally come up with a good idea.:)

But... I doubt it could happen :( I mean LOK is not as popular as Matrix and such bug project is very expansive...

Viator
15th Oct 2003, 15:42
Where is thy faith, oh vampire of balance?
A fool once said "if you build it, he will come".
Doesn't ring a bell? Hmmm...what about "when you wish upon a star?":)
Since Defiance WILL be a great success (for all closet doubters out there) I think it would be a viable idea,
if properly implemented and budgeted, not like Squaresoft's lamentable venture (they could have bought any third world country for the price of THAT movie, you know which one).
I know CGI can be a tad pricey because of the computing power and time involved but hell! I've seen some homemade CGI movies done by some uni friends of mine (mainly for their final year portfolios), and it was damn beautiful work done over two years on a shoestring budget and poxy pentium four machines running Maya.
If these guys can do it that makes me think it's not really the artists that are in charge but, alas, the accountants. And what do THEY want?
Money, moolah, cash, dough, bread, cashiola, payola, dosh, dinero, bucks, coin-o-the-realm...and so forth.
I don't mean to sound too critical but lets face the facts, when all is said and done its how many units sell, its as simple as that.
I don't blame them, after all, no company ever goes into business just 'because'. And as for Matrix...its a joke! take it from a LONG time fan of fantasy and Sci-fi.
I have seen just about everything in the fantasy/sci-fi genres, including horror, and for something to catch my attention it has to be either damn good or extremely innovative. Matrix is flashy, extremely well executed, full of fantastic effects, but plastic and hardly original. Well marketed it is, you can't go anywhere without seeing posters, DVDs, adverts., or hearing some sci-fi newbie going on and on about it, but its nothing really innovative. And that is my personal opinion.
Nevertheless I will never despair!
I will be heard and I will submit my ideas. I had been thinking of offering it to them as a contest they might hold, somethig like "win a golden Raz' or something like that for the best entry.:D
If I find nobody but me is interested I will do it myself (or dare some uni digital media guys into doing it as a 'project'.:p
Although courses in digital animation can be stratospherically priced I might pursue one later just for the hell of it.
If they can do it so can I! MWAHAHAhahahahahahahahhhhhhh:D

Tsaphel
17th Oct 2003, 02:46
Look at Lestat - would you honestly want some no-talent hack actor turning Raziel into that pansy?

I want to defend Lestat, for an extremely brief moment. Anne Rice's vampires are aristocrats. They are written that way. What the film Interview with a Vampire did with Lestat is no travesty. I felt it very properly portrayed the cultured, aristocratic power of the Ricean vampires -- immortals wishing to live the 'High Life'.

soniqstylz
18th Oct 2003, 04:00
Well, if they did live action with the voice over actors, you'd have to think that Tony Jay would need a LOT of makeup.

N0V4
19th Oct 2003, 14:45
Originally posted by vampire of balance

LMAO!

Man, can anyone say ''It lives!''

Old thread.

kittylefemme
20th Oct 2003, 05:54
Why would America be getting a look in? Why could it not be produced in England? Why wouldn't Eidos & Silican Knights and Crystal Dynamics have control over the movie? Afterall the games are thiers so why couldn't thier animation teams make the movie too? It could start with the intombment of the Sarafan and how they originally died. (I am sure that I read somewhere that Sarafan Raziel and co. where lead into and ambush by Malek and murdered hence the bodies for Kain later. Fallen Raziel came along and by killing them himself would have changed the original outcome. Not too much because they still died so Kain could have them later.) Kain desecrating their so called impenatrabley sealed place of rest etc etc. Raziel getting his wings. First flight. The wiping of his clan from the face of the earth like excriment from a boot. (quote Raziel). We might even see Arials' murder and Kains' birth. So on and so forth.
It could not be made with people. That, too me, would destroy it. Look what happened with Interview with the Vampire. I loved those books but Tom Cruise sucked as Lestat. Hehehe. No really he did.

Thanks.

kittylefemme
20th Oct 2003, 06:05
Lestat was perfect. Tom was not. My opinion. Differing opinions are all valid. I had read the books many years earlier before the movie was made. In some ways I was disappointed. "They" botched Loui and Armand in how they looked in the movie as opposed to how they were vividly described in the book. The ending was typical Hollywood Hoohar too. Still, I loved the books. Would recommend someone have a look in. Can't wait for SR3D. Hope the movie will be done by the teams that do the games. If there is ever to be a movie.

Thanks.

Trelela
22nd Oct 2003, 19:26
LOK movie can be created but only if:

1) it'll be few episodes serie
2) it's gonna be very very very good animation
3) i have no more idea

maby I'll write more later

Viator
29th Oct 2003, 10:01
Movie shmovie. :)
Let's think laterally people.
Move over Chicago, what about:
Legacy of Kain: the MUSICAL!!!

barak777
1st Nov 2003, 09:43
as most of you heard a few computer games become a movies....

so i think that eidos should make a contract with movie company that will create a movie for the soul reaver 2

think about it!!!!
it have an excelent story that combines action drama and vimpers and this kind of stuff....

that movie can do a lot of money and to make a lot of people to buy the games....

i and i belive that everyone in this forum will go to see the movie in his first night that the movie will come out...

think about it!!! the games have excelent story!!!

if there anyone in this forum that conected to eidos... pass this massege to them

and if anyone support me on my request please response, it could help to convinse to manegment

Viator
1st Nov 2003, 15:30
Hi! :)
You're not alone in wanting a LoK movie.
The topic is being discussed at this link:

legacy of kain movie discussion thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12124)

Add your comments here and help us convice Eidos to give us a movie.:D

barak777
1st Nov 2003, 17:56
look....

to make soul reaver 1 and 1 movie is excelent idie because the story full in things that people love to see in a movie, maybe in the begining the crowd wont be so big because its a new thing but in the minute that they will see the movie they will join to the fans of the series.....

and about those that think that a story should stay story i have a few examples that will show you how much it good to publish a story as a movie:

lord of the rings
green mile

and there is a lot more that become a huge sellers just because they was it theathers

think about it....nothing happanes if will try....

fneh
1st Nov 2003, 18:08
Am I the only person that thinks a LOK movie is the worst Idea ever?

garbagefanuk
1st Nov 2003, 18:30
Plus this topic has been discussed a billion times in a billion threads. God in heaven, NO MORE!!! :(

garbagefanuk
1st Nov 2003, 18:35
I guess it could work, but i'm not holding my breath. And there isn't a big enough core fan base to even bother with the idea.

RA Fox
1st Nov 2003, 18:47
Of course it could work , but they should get really good cast [at least very good known by public , such movies need good actors to gather public at first]. Serious director who could direct such kind of movie. And enormously interesting storyline. Look at the Final Fantasy , game - good , movie - only beautiful. Cuz game gives the feeling of all atmosphere , i doubt that movie can make the same. In the best case - a bit similar. More idiotic game , the better is movie like Mortal Kombat. There wasn't nothing except fights in the game, so they gave some story for it in the movie it got better. But with such story like in LoK:SR/Defiance I'm sure movie wouldn't have even 1/3 part of the story of the games. Ah.. I think there is allmost no good game movie project realized to risc destroying such story. And even if they start such project - how much money they would need to hire good actors / director.
It's better to forget about it , until they decide to make one. If You ask me then i say - they shouldn't.

fneh
1st Nov 2003, 20:14
the final fantasy movie is proof that videogames shouldn't have movies made about them.
The only game movies that were even watchable at all were resident evil and mortal kombat (first one)

even they weren't that good. the only thing that puts res evil above the rest is because they changed everything more or less.

LOK wouldn't even work in CG because he games al ltie in. It would have to be a SR1 the movie thing and even stil it would have to say "to be continued on your PS2" because there's too much story to fit into 2 hours

leave it as a game I say

Umah Bloodomen
1st Nov 2003, 21:10
People are entitled to discuss whatever it is they want to discuss (within the limits of the TOU of course). We should not discourage that. If a discussion is repetitive, it can always be merged with similar discussions. (As this one will be when I feel confident the author has acknowledged Viator's advice).

Welcome to the forums, BTW, barak777. :)

Newbeing
1st Nov 2003, 21:37
I think LOK would be a good movie if it was animated. Stop motion animation that is. Done by the same guys and gals who did the nightmare before christmas. except much more serious and such.

The reason why I would like it animated is because you simply can't replace the voice work of Kain or Raziel and live action would look to clunkly and less exaggerated.

Serul
1st Nov 2003, 23:48
Originally posted by fneh
the final fantasy movie is proof that videogames shouldn't have movies made about them... Final Fantasy the movie didn't work because it wasn't Final Fantasy. If they actually made it more like the games, it probably would have attracted a larger audience (including kids and whatnot).

Whether making a movie from a game or a game from a movie, it's difficult to pull off... And I haven't seen any good game/movie movie/game adaption ever.

barak777
2nd Nov 2003, 14:37
thanks its good to be here...

Lady_D
2nd Nov 2003, 15:09
I love the idea of an LOK movie. An animated one is good but not live action. I don't think LOK lends itself well to live action. However,....... I doubt It'll ever happen. :(

*X-LR*Darharhar
4th Nov 2003, 17:10
the movie idea would be cool im unsure on if it could be done and live up to the high standards i hold anything lok related to, but would still be awsome to see. + the movie would be either really really really long or we would miss out on some important things. i would hate to see the story sold short for time limitations...

but with that in mind why not a line of books based on the games. its not a new idea and some of the books based on games were good i red the doom series and the first two books i thought were great it really added another lvl of depth to the games (the 3rd and 4th book ~shudder~ were awful dont waste your time on em) and i also red the resident evil series and that was a decant series i really enjoy reading storys about games because of the added depth that it provides :D i mentioned this in another topic but think about it the books could go into more of nosgoths history detailed descriptions of battles that were waged between the hylden and the vampires of old. this would truly be a welcome addition in my opinion to the world of LOK.

Viator
5th Nov 2003, 02:41
Serul's right. FF the movie didn't work because it was a weird mystc/sci fi blend, not FF straight up.
Same thing for the Anne Rice novels into film. I've read only two books and they ROCKED! I had hoped the movie would be just as good but...alas.:(
A LoK movie CAN work if approached the right way.
Anyway, it would be a movie to introduce the general public/newcomers to the LoK series. Purists know the dialogue of every single game backwards and would probably watch it to either love or hate it.:) (or post stuff about it):D
Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. The only reason why some things don't work is because:
a) too much negativism (nah, it'll never work. Never.)
b) the wrong approach ("Britney Spears as Umah. ">Bleah<)
c) the wrong media (eight hours of makeup do not Kain make)

If Andrew Lloyd Webber can make a musical about singing cats, then anything is possible.
If we kept being negative about things in life computers would have stayed in science fiction books.
Then again, life without Britney Spears' singing. Hmmm...:D

zerocrisis
22nd Nov 2003, 12:47
Hey, you guys gona make a LOK film? do you need ideas? actors? or just huge funds? :P

Zephonsfate
22nd Nov 2003, 13:15
well, first off, this will most likely be redirected to the general Legacy of Kain discussion board. Secondly, I think there has been a few posts over there on the subject. It would be a great idea, but probably would not translate well into film unless it was done on an epic scale similar to Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings production. It would be much better as an animated film, then they could use the same voice actors.

Lady_D
22nd Nov 2003, 13:39
The subject of an LOK movie has been brought up before. I for one, love the idea, but not using actors. I think the only way to do it justice is to make it animated or computer generated. I don't think it'll ever happen though.

zerocrisis
22nd Nov 2003, 13:51
So an animated / digitised film would serve best? hmm would LOKD serve as the best version to create first? would it confuse people if it was released in the same way as star wars?

Zephonsfate
22nd Nov 2003, 14:12
Of Course it would not be wise to begin the series with Defiance, but rather with Blood Omen where the tale truly begins. I feel Lucas made a grave error in beginning his saga in the way he did. The new Star Wars movies just don't do it for me. I love the older episodes, but not the new ones. Just my opinion though. Don't hate me.

Crimson_Pain
22nd Nov 2003, 14:29
I think the only way to go is a CGI movie similar to that of Final Fantasy: the spirits within and i totally agree with Zephonsfate about making the movie on an epic scale, one for ever game and in the same order that they were released.

But for some reason i doubt it'll ever happen though.:(

zerocrisis
22nd Nov 2003, 14:30
Yes the old ones were better! i think LOKD would have more action in it.... after all thats what most films are based on.... if you make the story line too good/complex people will lose intrest..... but in a game the more complex etc the better! it will just make u play it again to understand it LoL!

zerocrisis
22nd Nov 2003, 14:32
well if the film is planned i am prepared to work for free :P

Umah Bloodomen
22nd Nov 2003, 15:09
Here are some related threads on the subject:

A thread on a fan-based animation. (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26266&highlight=LOK+Movie)

How about an LOK movie? (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12124&highlight=LOK+Movie)

An offer to Eidos (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26258&highlight=LOK+Movie)

LOK Movie (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13226&highlight=LOK+Movie)

What about making the film? (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9975&highlight=LOK+Movie)

LOK Movie II (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10586&highlight=LOK+Movie)

Should hit the big screens (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4475&highlight=LOK+Movie)

Please note that this will most likely be merged with one of those tomorrow. Thanks. :)

fneh
22nd Nov 2003, 15:28
merge the lot of em together umah! And don't forget to merge all the PC gamers lusting over defiance threads too!;)

I personally don't like the idea of a LOK movie for the following reasons:

it would havce to be done in CG. Do you have any idea how muich it costs to make full CG movies?

Then remember the story would need to be deep and exceed 90 minutes. Maybe double that. A CG movie that's 2+ hours would take FOREVER to make.

AND it will only be popular with a small selection of viewers.

Why make a multi multi million $$$ movie that's not going to take any money in the box office?

I guess you'll have to keep dreaming.

And praying they don't meet you half way and make it live action with a guy wearing a latex Kain mask.

Imagine. Teenage mutant ninja turtles 4! turtles Vs KAIN!:D

zerocrisis
22nd Nov 2003, 16:06
ive got lots of cash to splash around.... i think i will make a few calls...

LauraOrganaSolo
22nd Nov 2003, 17:06
Why make a multi multi million $$$ movie that's not going to take any money in the box office?

Thanks, come again.

Zerocrisis, please, do us a favor and... I can't think of anything to say that one cause me to get another warning but just... don't.

Please.

I really hate these threads.

zerocrisis
22nd Nov 2003, 22:29
i need a vacation.....

MURDOCRAZIEL
23rd Nov 2003, 22:35
i personally think that if a movie like lord of the rings made it fine why woulnd't lok ? i didn't know anything about lord of the rings and i went to see the movie why? i'll tell you why.... in this world there is a lot of people that love the epics adventures and stuff and if you are afreid or somewaht about not making money with the movie i would say that with a good marketing and promotion they will make it just fine i repeat why? becouse it is a new and unseen tale with a lot of plots and a deep filosofy now remember the matrix film people didn't undesrtand it well and did they do? they went to see it again and again and again, couldn't it be the same with lok? now it just can be one one it just has to be like at least 2 or 3 or the minimum one per game (i wish :$) the money thing...i think the script will take the producers and movie companies to keep their eyes on it! the point to succed in the lok movie will be the promotion they give to it! for example in mexico the people just love this kind of movies and even those who does not they go to see the movies just becouse they think that maybe it could be fun.

the other problem you all people say is the creating of the movie in a cgi so i think that if final fantasy made it i think they can too becouse it has been several years now and perhaps the software and all that stuff is more easy and bring more capabilities to do it in a faster way

people just don0t be so negative on it it may be hard to achieve but the hardest things to do are the most succesfull ones (Y):D

having said that i wait for reply

XenoZero
24th Nov 2003, 14:48
I think a movie would be awesome, and as far as live action and stuff goes i would rather it see animated. now on the subject of animation, i would not want to to be a CGI movie. I want them to take it to Mad House and have them animated it. Mad House did Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust and the X movie and tv series. I could actully see a whole series spawn from the LOK series and i think that would be the best way to take it and you could keep to the kick ass cast.

Amara Moonshade
24th Nov 2003, 22:53
I'd love to see a LoK CGI film. Am I the only one who likes Final Fantasy? I saw it twice in the cinema, and although it wasn't remotely similar to the games, I still enjoyed it.

babifrence
25th Nov 2003, 04:28
Hiya Peeps,

I cant vote as it appears as it is over. Anyway Id vote hell yea all the way. For those who quoted Blade 2 as an excellent film - tut tut tut, shame on you, that film was sooooo crap that the volume of words in a profanity dictionary couldnt cover how bad that film was. Blade (the first one) was amazing. This was the benchmark for the Matrix. The martial arts, the hi-tech special affects. The story was really good, Blade 2 lacked everything. They even changed special effects, I was pleasently content with the original stuff (e.g. the way vampires disappeared, or not in the case of Blade 2).

Anyway, back to the topic. A film would be great - be it a proper movie with proper actors who play each vampire/ancient/hylden/sarafan then so be it. I think a CGI movie of the whole series would be far better and far more appreciated though. But I really would like the story to be very detailed so that we can understand EVERY single little nitpick so that there is no room to question the legacy.

PEACE OUT !!!

fatih
3rd Dec 2003, 18:30
hi everybody!
i think that eidos must make a movie for this game.
u know the senario is great!
what do u think about it? i believe that it would be a special movie and very effective .
eidos must do something about this. what u say?

VoRaDoR
3rd Dec 2003, 18:38
I think you mean Animated Movie Fatih? But the game is like a movie anyway. Besides some movies based on games are crap.

An example would be Mortal Kombat. However an animated movie of Legacy of Kain Like Final Fantasy would pull my interest.

Door
3rd Dec 2003, 18:54
An animated movie would be excellent.
If it was animated or not, there would have to be many movies to fulfill the series properly.
I currently aspire to be a movie screenplay write/director/action choreographer. Maybe if I make it big! :)

fatih
3rd Dec 2003, 19:30
off course ! an animation movie.
i imagine ... Sr1 intro as animated movie ... it would be very fantastic and impressive.
but it takes too much time and it costs too much .
but it would be a masterpiece!
why not?

kal123
12th Dec 2003, 02:31
The story in the LOK series is so good. It has the potential to become the best videogame to movie adaptation ever! The first movie should focus just on LOK: Blood omen(PS1) and then in the 2nd installment introduce raziel and follow the soul reaver I story line. Then for the last chapter, combine soul reaver 2 and LOK:defiance. Who do you think would be the best movie director for this idea if it were to happen?

Janos of Uschtenheim
12th Dec 2003, 06:56
The problems of this kind of media, like books, can really make or break a series. I agree that the series would have to be in the CG form to really look right. But here's the thing: Games are interactive; they leave some space open for the player to use their own imagination, especially with a series like LoK. Movies on the other hand are straight forward; if spots are left open then the movie is penalized for plot holes and the like.

Take the Lord of the Rings trilogy for example: When I walked out of seeing "The Fellowship" I vowed to wait until they were all released to home view, why? Not because I didn't like it, heck no (I loved it), because it was long and then ended in a *dundundun* cliff hanger and that means I had to wait for the next movie that wasn't due till the following year.

LoK has spanned 5 games already and there's still unsolved plot (not that I'm complaining 'bout that :D ), but how much of it can you cram into a move that can hold the attention of the audience and not have them leaving the theater groaning at the cliff hangers the series seems to love? ^.^

Back to the LotR example: Lok has this similar "problem", perhaps worse: Lack of female characters. Upon seeing "Fellowship" I instantly noticed a problem when Arwen appeared in the woods and rode Frodo back to Rivindell; it doesn't happen in the book. Not only with just the female characters, but with lines, scenes. Though they did a great job, there was still a good deal of the book cut from the movie.

It's harder with Game-to-Movie because the majority of us have already seen it, if something was cut, added, or changed to better suit the theater rating system (which is a whole different ball game than video game rating) we would instantly notice and probably end up comparing it with the games. It seems now that if a movie contains more males than females it's slapped with sexism sticker, and with LoK with it's two females with one only lasting one game, I'd fear for it.

I'd go on with more but I don't want to annoy you all with excessive reading.

The only way where this might work is if it were the last installment in the series (which I hope isn't for a while) and then released straight to DVD, advertised in magazines like most video games.

On the big screen... *gulp* I dunno... I'd be wary... but if it were released either way I would probably go to watch it.

And it would probably be the only case where I would do so too, I'm quite stubborn (Under no circumstance will I view FF7: Advent Children, I will purchace it because I am an avid fan of the game and put it with my collection, but it will stay in it's plastic. I won't argue this here, though if you'd like to PM me about it I can argue for days http://www.yaoiforum.com/forums/html/emoticons/icon5.gif)

SonneDieNacht
28th Dec 2003, 08:45
I'd like to poll who wants to see a movie of the series. Who would buy/watch it? What material would be included? Should the complete LoK series cinematics be included? Etc. Unfortunately, I don't know how to create a poll like that nice controller usage poll (KB+M vs. Gamepad vs. etc.).

If CD and EIDOS made a movie for the LoK series, perhaps a home DVD rather than a cinema event, then I'm sure they'd make a profit margin to keep the PS2, XBox, and PC platforms alive for a sequel (especially if they used the same graphic engine and imported all the cinema/cut-scene material). Something like Pulp Fiction (I'm not sure about that though) to incorporate the time-streaming events in a chronological, watch-able format?

Of course original material, wouldn't hurt. *grin* Then also, "gaps" could be visually filled, and the complete time-continuum-paradoxical story would be clarified for all (for those that don't seem to understand the concept).

Holler back y'all.

Wraith_BlaDe
28th Dec 2003, 08:57
If they make a movie out of the series, it had better be Animated, rather then using Real actors, Video game Flicks using real actors are silly, and just flat out dont work.

The Only reason Tomb Raider, did well as a movie containing real actors was because Angelina Joel Lee is Hot! And alot of guys went to see it for her.

I cant recall any other Video Game movies that did well, remember Final Fantasy, was a great movie, that had some of the best CG ever, but the movie lost millions of dollars.

LOK: The Movie needs to be animated, and I just cant see it being in the movies, I see it being a Str8 to DVD type flick.

frodo098
28th Dec 2003, 10:07
I agree, a LOK movie would be much better if it was all animated, in fact, they should just use that machinima technology, a ton of people play LOK for the story anyway, it would be a win win situation.

A few other notes,

Tomb Raider didn't do good just because she was "hot", alot of girls and women loved that movie too. Even though I didn't like the movie, I think they did an ok job of converting the game to film considering how awful alot of other game movies have been.

Mortal Combat was a great game based movie, probably a living testament to all hollywood producers that good game movies are possible, most just don't care.

FF did awful because it couldn't have had anything less to do with the series. How do you make a FF movie and not have a single chocobo in it or moogles for crying out loud? All that great cg could have been put to great use in an interesting fantasy fiction setting, but instead they chose a pretty generic sci-fi setting that ended up boring both fans and casual movie goers, if it wasn't for this, Squaresoft wouldn't have even needed that Enix merger, I miss the old logo so much. :( I don't think Biggs and Wedge were in it either, or were they?

The horror is never going to stop with these game movies.:rolleyes:

BloodOfPunk
28th Dec 2003, 10:36
Oh holy crap, I'd sell my damned soul for a LoK movie! Since I played the first one, and I'm heading into the biz' I've been wantign to make one, or watch oen whichever came first!

karpo_007
28th Dec 2003, 11:04
It would be great, but doesn't seem realistic. I'm hoping to see a Legacy of Kain graphic novel someday...

Evelin The Winged
28th Dec 2003, 13:55
Originally posted by karpo_007
It would be great, but doesn't seem realistic. I'm hoping to see a Legacy of Kain graphic novel someday...

Graphic novel? ...what's a graphic novel?

frodo098
28th Dec 2003, 14:07
A comic book with alot of pages.:D

Umah Bloodomen
28th Dec 2003, 16:58
And often more "mature" content than what is available in regular comic books.

This is being merged with the other movie thread.

Acrobad
11th Jan 2004, 00:12
Luckily I made a search before I created a new topic...

I am definitely voting for LOK to be made into Movie, but I can't vote...

If ever it be made into a movie though, it must be a CGI movie like Animatrix or Final Fantasy... and they better make sure the voice-acting casts are the same...

I can see LOK being divided into portions of movies, like Lord of The Ring or Matrix (urgh) they're a Trilogy, or they can make it even into something like Star Wars (but I think that would have gone too far)

Anyways, I would definitely like to see a LOK movie... I would watch the movie, then get the DVD collection, and force everyone I know to watch the movie(s)!! :D

babifrence
11th Jan 2004, 00:36
Hiya Peeps,

Originally posted by karpo_007

At this thought, I have to say they already do make graphic novels of LoK. However, so far, they have only done Soul Reaver 1999 and Defiance 2003 (2 different front covers). Blood Omen never made a graphic novel for some reason.

Both novels were designed by Top Cow. Check the net, theres loads of sites you can still buy them. Remember though, that the Soul Reaver comic is extremely rare and unsurprisingly becoming extremely sought after. I am going to buy the Defiance comics with both front covers from a great contact I met over ebay.

PEACE OUT !!!

sarafan queen
20th Jan 2004, 15:08
come on ppl of eidos!!!

make a movie of lok will ya!

if you can afford to have simon do the voice over why not the movie too! didn't you guys use his face to make kain look more like him!? (bo 1)

As for raziel, it don't mean you can't find someone to be him and looks like the handsome raziel...he don't need to speak, just the voice of ...uh oh, forgot his name...well you know....as for the soul reaver raziel, there's computer animation now...and this guy can still do his voice....no excuesses!!!

Whats up!? It's been a while since I and everyone else has seen a really good vampire movie, and you guys can't say that you can't come up with a script that is good enough, because if that was the case, ppl would not continue to buy your game, I buy it for the story and graphics and...oh what the hell, for all it's worth and made for!!!

Come on, please make a movie!!!

sorry for double posting but just remembered his name...Micheal bell....yay!

LOK kain is the greatest
20th Jan 2004, 15:50
yeah a movie would be great, FF style. thats the onlyway they will be able to do it, but don't chop it up like the FF movie, don't say (we can't follow the game as they know the ending) What? look at the Harry potter movies. loads of people knew the ending but it still made loads, it's just the fact we all want to see Kain slice and dice.

HolyMoses
20th Jan 2004, 16:01
As much as I'd like to see this happen, there are a few things we'll have to face.

If there was a movie, and if it were to do the story justice, it would have to be at least a trilogy. How you're going to break all these stories up into three movies? I dunno.

Video games made into movies don't do too well, imho. Take Super Mario Brothers, or *gag* Mortal Kombat (there was a game that had no plot be put into a movie.)

What do you think something like that would be rated?
Would it even get a rating?
I, for one, would feel like the story was cheapened if it got rating like PG-13 (12A).

Personally, I say forget the theater. Go straight to VHS and DVD box set sales. Therefore you can make it as gorry and as long as you wish.

van_HellSing PL
20th Jan 2004, 16:23
A feature length movie by GlyphX... Would be so damn cool.... But I doubt it will happen (call me a pessimist, I am one)

DarkWraith
20th Jan 2004, 17:52
I agree that a CG generated movie would be the only way the films would work. But the economics of it wouldn't work. Not everyone out there is a LOK fan.

It's a real toughie!

garbagefanuk
20th Jan 2004, 18:48
Lost track how many times i answered variations of this theme of thread :) There will never be a LoK movie, the core fan base is too small to make the expense worthwhile. And beyond that, all movies made based on games have sucked. It would spoil it i think.

Raziel98
7th Feb 2004, 23:52
I think it would be really cool if they made a LoK movie with alot of CGI though and a little bit of live action in it.

Raziel98

TheWatcher
9th Feb 2004, 01:16
This is probably a dead thread and most certainly a dead topic, but I gotta respond. Garbagefanuk (and others), I'll admit the LOK fanbase isn't exactly big but consider this - how many people had heard of Middle Earth before LOTR, and how big was the X-Men fanbase before the movies?
Every LOTR movie has cleaned up in awards and box office profits, and every X-Men installment (thus far) has debuted at #1. If you watch any TV where folks otherwise uninterested in sci-fi on the whole talk about LOTR, they admit they don't know what the story is about (even after seeing the movie) but they still love the movies.
So, small fanbase is no reason to not make a movie like LOK.

The Angel of Death
15th Feb 2004, 09:35
thats a kool idar but it should be like the opening movie clips 4 sr1 & sr2

The Angel of Death
15th Feb 2004, 09:35
thats a kool idar but it should be like the opening movie clips 4 sr1 & sr2

Kain's Right-Hand Man
15th Feb 2004, 18:06
I'd like it if the movies had extra footage like scenes of Raziel and his brothers killing vampires and then humans,the stuff we've never seen before

King Otmar
16th Feb 2004, 13:28
The thought of a LOK movie goes through me like I have butterflies in my stomack. I would love to see one, and I guarantee u that I would Go camping outside the cinema just to see it.

It's an obssession
9th Mar 2004, 20:34
Forget Queen of the Damned (even though it rocked) but even though it's impossible, there should be a movie of LoK! .........Just one of my crazy ideas....

AndaPanda
9th Mar 2004, 20:44
Um no, there should not. Unless Amy would direct it, which I doubt. Oh and btw, this has been discussed so many times before on these forums..

It's an obssession
9th Mar 2004, 20:50
It has? Oh well....I thought it was a good idea...:(

Raptor666
9th Mar 2004, 20:55
I don't think what your saying is a bad idea, but the problem is the more it seems like a good idea for a game to be made into a film the more likely it is that whoever makes it will botch it up.

Take Devil May Cry, I heard they're making a film of that, and as a concept it sounds like something that should work, which tells me more that it'll probably be complete pap.

It's an obssession
9th Mar 2004, 21:01
Yeah, that's why I said it's impossible:

1. Too long! There'll need to be loads of movies to make up the whole Legacy.
2. If it was to be made it wouldn't be very good.
3. Voice actors. Think about it...

WraithStar
9th Mar 2004, 21:12
If they did make a movie, it would absolutely have to be CGI, in my opinion, but that's way too expensive considering that the Final Fantasy movie didn't do too well. If money was no concern, I think that a CGI movie with the same voice actors as the games would be unbelievably outstanding, but it'll probably never happen.

Raptor666
9th Mar 2004, 21:29
I don't think CGI would set them back that much, even if they did it to the standard of FF: TSW, as it should be cheaper by now. But it's not like they would need to anyway, Square went totally overboard with FF:TSW, they blew millions just on Aki's hair, which had individual hairs or something like that. Great for a game maybe, but IMO totally unneccesary for a film which would be rendered only a few times making the whole realistic hair thing a bit worthless.

The Angel of Death
10th Mar 2004, 04:24
if they do make it i would go see & when it gose on video/dvd ill buy it

WraithStar
10th Mar 2004, 18:26
Me too. If they ever did make it, I'd probably go insane trying to find it the very day it comes out, just like for Defiance:D

EDIT: I was refering to a CGI movie with the same voice actors as the games. I voted "no" for a live action movie.

Omni_Sephiroth
11th Mar 2004, 10:36
Im personally agenst the idear of a movie :(

It's an obssession
11th Mar 2004, 20:57
Why?

Zeph
12th Mar 2004, 03:59
If it was a film of BO1, SR1, SR2, BO2, Defiance etc, ofcourse i would. But, a movie after Lok:Defiance would be bad therefore we wants to play to know history and not to attend a film to understand what it was not understood.

It's an obssession
12th Mar 2004, 19:16
Yeah, that's what I mean. :p

uglymonkey
31st Mar 2004, 09:36
prequels - full length and produced in the in-game FMV style, original voice talent only; downloadable to your PC . . . yes yes YES!

Dark_Raziel01
31st Mar 2004, 09:58
Originally posted by uglymonkey
prequels - full length and produced in the in-game FMV style, original voice talent only; downloadable to your PC . . . yes yes YES!
i dont like the idear of it being downloade 2 ur pc i would like it 2 be on dvd & video

card
31st Mar 2004, 10:00
of course it's going to be downloadable on your pc! these days everything is downloadable...

aznxdarkxromeo
12th Apr 2004, 03:01
heyz...probably a lot of you have thought of this already...but wont it be soo cool if the whoel legacy of kain wuz made into a movie of a book...it can have all the gore details the game can't show....I mean...unlike The underworld and other vampire movies...L.O.K. has such a complex and excitin plot and the setting is extrodinary...non other vampire movies character has dark gifts that even come close to Kain and Raziels...everybody will love it don't you think so?....maybe if we have enough people to convince som1 that this will shurly be a hit...then it might come true..I mean for god sake..even Tomb raider has a movie.....

card
12th Apr 2004, 15:21
yea well tomb raider is a lame game and the movie is even worse...tomb raider is cheap ;)

Door
12th Apr 2004, 17:36
A movie made completely with CGI takes a very long time.
Also, Blade 2 was a horrible, horrible movie. The CGI in it made me want to vomit.

Bobman32x
13th Apr 2004, 14:37
this thread has been around for along time and ive just realized i never read it. Because its so long I only read about half of it. Many make good points but you have tounderstand that the only way the movie would do well is if there were more LoK fans. Yeah Sure we all are fans, but were nothing compared to fans of Final Fantasy, GTA, Zelda, Halo, and other huge name games. One reason I thought Resident Evil was so good was because Resident Evil was a A+ game that everyone knew about, which ment the develpoers put so much into the movie, trying to bypass the horrible past of Videogame movies. Seriously, I only think there are 3 good movies that we're adapted from games (Console games) Those would be Mortal Kombat (1!!!, 2 sucked) Resident Evil, and.... well i guess only 2 movies.

Im hoping Some of the newly annouced VG movies will do well, like Metroid or BlooRayne. Expecailly Bloodrayne as its Vampirisim may inspire a good outlook for a possible LOK movie. Though I still cant wait For Resident Evil: Apacolypes (sp) as its going to bring in Jill and Carlos and I finally get to see a Live version of Nemesis. Seriously. I cant think of one videogame character scarier than him, He's the only thing aside from the floor drop in the library in RE2 that actually scared me in a video game. Uhh.. I remember the 1st time i played RE3. I just got the Lockpick and the Magnum, im walking down the stairs of the Police Station...... Crash!!! AAAHHHHH!! SSS.TTT.AAA.RRRR.SSS.!!! RRRRAAAARRRGGGHH!!!!!! AHHH!! Run away Jill! RUN AWAY!!!!!

Umah Bloodomen
14th Apr 2004, 01:39
Comments on the Resident Evil gaming franchise have been moved to this thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36338). Please keep the LOK movie discussion on topic by talking about movies and the prospects of an LOK film venture. Thanks. :)

4thSurvivor
16th Apr 2004, 00:47
y'know, I think LoK would transfer itself to written format much easier. It almost plays like a really good book as it is, if the events of the game were put into a novelization I think you'd have a pretty solid read. There's so much potential, stories of the hylden/vampire wars (the 3 vampire heroes portrayed in vorador's mansion, anybody?) and the forging of the reaver blade, early days of the circle, the purges, the betrayal of the circle, the building and decline of Kain's vampiric empire...so much backstory, that's not even touching on any of the actual gameplay!

never gonna happen, though. -sigh-

lucinvampire
16th Apr 2004, 14:37
Hi,

I think an LoK movie would be great, whatever era or whatever it was about, they have made films of other games, so why not LoK, I think it would work out really well, as long as it was done by people who had played, understood and liked the games!

All the best,
Lucie

Bobman32x
16th Apr 2004, 15:03
I was thiniking. In about a year and a half or so, Pixar is breaking up with Disney, so wih disney out of the way, maybe they could pick up the LoK movie rights, making Pixar a little more adult, like they used to be before they joined with Disney when the 1st toy story was made.

Dark_Raziel01
16th Apr 2004, 15:14
yeah hope fully our beloved lok will come on the big screen but also they could ruin the series with the movie so i thinkif their makin a movie its best that fans have a role in the makin

babifrence
16th Apr 2004, 21:38
Hiya Peeps,

Originally posted by Dark_Raziel01
yeah hope fully our beloved lok will come on the big screen but also they could ruin the series with the movie so i thinkif their makin a movie its best that fans have a role in the makin

I agree :D. But im not sure about the whole Pixar thing. Nothing against PIXAR personally (except the fact that the guy who built the firm was the guy who invented the machintosh hardware and/or software :D ;p ;)) but I think that Glyph X should be hired to do the job. I believe thats the guys who did the Soul Reaver FMV's. I believe BINK have taken over - not too sure about the technicalities or the actual inside info as to who made what but in my opinion, like Pioneer developing and founding the optical drive, then you should stick with the "dons" (UK slang word for professionals, or genius's) that started off with its creation. The same goes here with the guys who designed and made the FMV's.

Its possible that Pixar could make it even better but thats just my preference. Personally, if you wanna make a wicked movie thats all CGI based then I reckon the guys who made "Final Fantasy: Spirits within" should be the guys to look at for complete realism. The film was crap but several times through out the movie I was almost fooled that the movements and people running around were actually real. If you can make me believe Raziel moves like a human but has his "soul demonic ways" then you've sold me!

PEACE OUT !!!

PS Lets hope CD and Eidos hear our cries for a movie and silently pray that they are doing it under our very noses :D :p ;).

webchameleon
15th May 2004, 00:12
I just want to add my two cents saying that Soul Reaver would make a fantastic movie despite inevitable slams by pop-culture critics (if you see were I'm going).

If the drama of the game is thoroughly adapted to the movie, and if the action doesn't become stale and repetitive by the middle (i.e. Van Helsing's first half), the movie could really be a blockbuster. I don't think the game's core was a slash n' thrash, anyway. All great stories have...well, a story .

You need good actors for a good movie, But I'm going to recommend Alan Rickman as Raziel regardless of not seeing a lot of his movies because he closely resembles him (maybe even inspired him)...and because he is a good actor.

I need some head-hunting done for Kain. Any takers? I need a fresh opinion.

Omega
15th May 2004, 00:57
Theres many a thread about an LoK movie.

But, I couldn't see it being real-life... a Soul Reaver movie would have to be CGI (computer-generated) if only to reflect the games natural looks.

But then again, what would the story be about? If it was the games, why would fans pay to see it when they know what happens anyway? It would have to be something different...

AndaPanda
15th May 2004, 01:20
Originally posted by Omega
Theres many a thread about an LoK movie.

But, I couldn't see it being real-life... a Soul Reaver movie would have to be CGI (computer-generated) if only to reflect the games natural looks.

Agreed. I mean, who could ever play Wraith Raziel? :)

Originally posted by Omega
But then again, what would the story be about? If it was the games, why would fans pay to see it when they know what happens anyway? It would have to be something different...

Although I'm not really into the idea of a LoK movie, I would pay to see it if it was made, just because it's something that's LoK related, and I'm obsessed. :o :p

BigKevSexyMan
15th May 2004, 01:43
If there is going to be a LoK movie it should be done like FF:AC will be done. Put out on DVD and all in 3d.

Smoke_Z
15th May 2004, 03:58
Here's a weird idea.... would you pay to watch a movie that they said was based on the original story, before it got tied to kain and the vampires.

Or, would you watch a movie that had been scripted by Amy Henning, regardless of what it was about? (She might get tired of the video game industry someday. Or she might retire but decide she still needs to exploit* her creative talents.

I know exploit isn't exactly the right word, but I don't have a thesaurus handy right now. I'm looking for a word that doesn't have negative connotations.

Sheyda
15th May 2004, 10:19
I only think it would make a good movie if it were focused on stories that aren't covered in the game, for example The Matrix: Reloaded game, it explained things we didn't see in the movie, only with Soul Reaver it would be done the other way around.

As for Alan Rickman as Raziel, I think it would depend on which Raziel it would be, as in where on the timeline the movie would take place.

webchameleon
15th May 2004, 16:55
Number 1, I didn't realize the other thread was closed because I couldn't find it after I made it. Ironically.

Number 2, it says on my screen that I may make new threads, and if I couldn't make a new one on an old subject, I guess I just missed something.

As for which Raziel Alan Rickman plays, he would only need to play the living and vampiric Raziel. I really think he could pull it off quite well with some makeup and a little voice work. (I don't think his hair is naturaly black, either, but he died it for many of his roles).

Huh. Just a forum joke, nothing personal. :cool:

Umah Bloodomen
15th May 2004, 17:00
Originally posted by webchameleon
Number 1, I didn't realize the other thread was closed because I couldn't find it after I made it. Ironically.

Number 2, it says on my screen that I may make new threads, and if I couldn't make a new one on an old subject, I guess I just missed something.

No worries, webchameleon. :) When repetitive threads are created, we try to merge them together in order to make it easier for people who may be looking for them in the forum search to find them and contribute to them.

Additonally, let's refrain from getting involved in attack/retaliation sessions as doing so is a violation of The Terms of Use of Our Community (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18223). (Which everyone agreed to prior to making their first post here).

The other party has been advised to do the same.

Thanks. :)

webchameleon
15th May 2004, 17:06
Originally posted by Sheyda
I only think it would make a good movie if it were focused on stories that aren't covered in the game, for example The Matrix: Reloaded game...

The Matrix: Reloded movie wasn't that good, in my opinion. I never played the game, though.
But the reason I thought that Soul Reaver would make a good movie was because of the game's story.
But I think it would be good to show a flashback of Raziel's human 'occupation' just before he died and was resurected as a vampire. In fact, all of that would make a GREAT flashback when he discovers the tomb of Sarafan.

webchameleon
15th May 2004, 17:27
Why make a LotRs movie? Because it was a work of art that screamed to be expressed in a more detailed way. And were we wrong to do so? Maybe. Tolkein did say "no" to movies, but movies weren't capable of expressing his fantasy as vividly as they could today.

And Soul Reaver is to movies as Shakespeare was to plays. The drama is RELENTLESS. Soul Reaver is Shakespeare for a new, demented generation.

Sheyda
16th May 2004, 12:05
webchameleon - I wasn't saying make it like Matrix: Reloaded, I was saying to do what they did with the movie and the game, as in things are covered by the movie that aren't covered in the game. I wasn't exactly a big fan of the movie either, but the idea of having one thing cover this, and the other cover that was a great idea, however in this way it would only appeal to those who have actually played the game, as only they will understand what is going on.

webchameleon
16th May 2004, 18:27
Actualy, Sheyda I think, to some extent, that may be a good idea. As I said, maybe show Raziel just before his unwilling damnation.

Hey! I just saw the Soul Reaver intro, again, and Alan Rickman looks like he actualy mighty be about the same age Raziel was before his betrayal!

babifrence
16th May 2004, 23:13
Hiya Peeps,

Originally posted by Sheyda
webchameleon - I wasn't saying make it like Matrix: Reloaded, I was saying to do what they did with the movie and the game, as in things are covered by the movie that aren't covered in the game. I wasn't exactly a big fan of the movie either, but the idea of having one thing cover this, and the other cover that was a great idea, however in this way it would only appeal to those who have actually played the game, as only they will understand what is going on.

I would have quoted an earlier quote but seeing as this was the most recent I thought it would be the more applicable seeing as it has an explanation.

Anyway, I think this is a SUPERB idea. Having the films and the game tie-in together is totally amazing. I would deffinately give my thumgs up for that notion. Besides, it would at least give Amy a stepping stone in where to begin the story writing and Glyph X an idea for creating their animation, so its all good :).

PEACE OUT !!!

Sheyda
17th May 2004, 08:01
Yay! People agree with me! *Feels better* =)

I also agree with webchameleon's idea of seeing Raziel before his damnation. I think Alan Rickman might be okay as Raziel, though not perfect, and his voice would need a bit of work to sound more like Raziel. Originally (when I first played Soul Reaver 1 and saw prefallen Raziel for the very first time), I would've chosen Johnny Depp to play prefallen Raziel because of the high cheekbones and he's also a great actor with a lot of flexibility in the roles that he plays, but I think his head and his eyes are the wrong shape; Raziel has a more rectangular shaped head and more slanted eyes and also very thin eyebrows. Eh, I don't know. =\

card
17th May 2004, 09:02
you know who? WILL SMITH! yeah, let's give him the main raziel role and ruin the whole thing!...still a little annoyed about I,Robot..:mad:
but seriously, i don't think anyone would be good for raziel's role..

KainOFthehylden
17th May 2004, 09:09
And no one will fit Kain as well.....

babifrence
17th May 2004, 13:15
Hiya Peeps,

In my opinion, the best way to keep the same voice actors and have the best of both gaming world and hollywood would be to have the voice actors as the actual actors each one plays.

Why not have Simon Templeman as Kain human and post resurrected Kain ? Im sure CG and makeup has gone along way since when it first came about. Fair enough, Michael Bell is a little older than how we would really want Raziel to appear but I still think with a great deal of time and effort it can be pulled off. I mean, could we really have Keanu Reeves play Raziel ? Raziel isnt supposed to be handsome or sound like Ted from Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure/Bogus Journey.

I would really want the original voice actors to play the characters that they were chosen to do for the film. I think Tony Jay might have a little trouble fitting into a Squid outfit though :D :p.

Anyway, I would still rather a CGI movie of the LoK series and buy it on DVD - keep it with my collection.

PEACE OUT !!!

webchameleon
17th May 2004, 16:38
You know, its not possible to have perfect matches for a live-action flick, but I don't think a CG flick would have the same effect on an audience as a live-action movie would.
Johny Depp isn't too bad a match for Raziel, but he really isn't any better a choice as Allan Rickman as far as the number of pros and cons go.
I would have sujested Sean Connery for Kain, but I wouldn't be able to stop laughing while watching him. Simon Templeman doesn't have the...well, besides look...huh, I forgot the word. Well, he just doesn't have it, anyway. And Michael Bell is what--seventy years old?
The voice may not have the same smooth, gothic quality from any good actor I could come up with, But a film like Soul Reaver or Legacy of Kain, if you'd rather, needs good ACTORS to pull it off, and a little voice change is a good sacrifice, as far as I can see for a live-action film.

Solin
17th May 2004, 20:17
I saw an actor who would be brilliant for the human raziel role looks just like him, I don't have his name but he is in Battle royale and plays Shuya Nananara, Yes he may be japenese but if you see him you will understand.
card your so right i can't believe they cast a Will smith in I robot, one more film ruined.

apollo440
17th Jul 2004, 08:07
You guys must have been askin a spontaneous question...like

A story as huge as this , is it possible to make it a movie!?!?

Well , I had chatted with some fans , someone said it would be boring if it was made , the other said it would lose its magic....but I think the contrary...

I think it would be great to make a movie of Legacy of Kain , was Mortal Kombat better ?! ..... Is worth making like they did with Lord of the Rings?!??!

What do yo people think?!?!??!?!

Kains_Queen
18th Jul 2004, 01:44
I want a movie but a CGI and there's no reason why they can't make one there's a lot of people who would go see it I for one would and then i could have all the lovely Movie merchandise :D can you imagine a life-sized cardboard Kain!! yummeeee :D

khorne
18th Jul 2004, 15:26
Originally posted by BigKevSexyMan
If there is going to be a LoK movie it should be done like FF:AC will be done

i agree wit u on this BigKevSexyMan

Radeon
19th Jul 2004, 12:21
Hi all, new user here. Just surfed in from the Lost Worlds.

A Legacy of Kain movie would be a great idea, though not done soley in CGI. Someone on the first page said, IIRC, that it would be impossible to capture the look of Nosgoth in anything but CGI, I disagree. Making the world and using CD's original concept art as a foundation, it could easily be modled as both CG and miniatures and even real locations.

More importantly, the director would be the key element in how good or how awful the movie would be. Remember the AD&D movie and how awful that was? A great example of something good gone completely wrong. And what of Resident Evil- good game, crap movie, and I like Paul Anderson as a director, he just failed to capture the feel of the game.

CG characters is something I have mixed feelings about. Sure Spider-Man and Jar Jar looked good, but the movements sometimes look... unnatural and forced. Using Costumed actors for some scenes and CG for others, with Michael Bell and Simon Templeton doing the voices would be the way to go.

I don't think story would be a problem, either. There are five games to choose from, though personally I would prefer a Raziel based film more than Kain. But would it be a PG-13 flick or Rated R, so would could have decapatations and Raziel ripping people's hearts out. I know which one I'd prefer.

What makes the LoK series work, IMHO, is that it's very epic. It's a grand gothic adventure that spans centuries. It would be awesome to see it rendered on the big screen- the Pillers, the Elder God and the temple- that would be very, very cool indeed.

suicideholiday666
22nd Jul 2004, 04:51
I think a LOK movie would be awesome if i was done correctly. I'd prefer it to be done in CGI, and for it to include what is in the video games. I mean for many fans of the series it may be a little old due to us seeing it several times from just playing the games but I think it's be needed to grasp a bigger audience. I mean if they just had the movie made right after Defience a person that's never played the game before would be lost and the movie would flop. Plus I think if it was done in CGI I think it should have a little more cash pumped into it so that the characters look real, not as much money that went into the Final Fantasy movie, but enough. I know if they made a LOK movie my friends and I would defenitly go watch it in theaters, and if it did suck I'd still buy it on DVD/Video just because it is LOK.

Raziel4ever
31st Aug 2004, 15:01
It wouldn't be cool if LOk series became a movie, like LoTR trilogy???

Mighty_Matt
31st Aug 2004, 15:11
it would indeed

the only problem being that every step of LoK's story has already been presented to us so if they tried to turn it into a movie it'd probably end up like a re-e-e-a-a-aly long FMV sequence lol

or they could just use the ol' hollywood game-movie trick and make up some completely ramdom storyline out of nowhere and fuse the whole movie with Matrix-style Bullet-time, yeah, that'll work....

*pssst* on a slightly offtopic note did any y'all hear about the Doom movie!??

i'm hoping this will be a chance to prove that movies of games CAN work if they are done properly and the hollywood *******s are told where to stick it

i have Faith in ID software and John Carmack as a gaming legend that it can be done!

Raziel4ever
31st Aug 2004, 15:22
A doom movie??? No I never eard about it, but I had eard about a devil may cry movie and a ominysha movie to be released in 2005. I hope the movies will be as good as the games are or they will be a disapiontment...A doom movie??? No I never eard about it, but I had eard about a devil may cry movie and a ominysha movie to be released in 2005. I hope the movies will be as good as the games are or they will be a disapiontment... :rolleyes:

Redeemer_and_Destroyer
31st Aug 2004, 15:24
Yeah, a film would be a great idea, but as Matt said, the fans know whats happening, it's all been presented to us as a game, which to be fair is as close to a movie as you're going to get... I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but I think like Alien vs. Predator, it's going to take a long time to develope, will be a lot of conflict on storyline and will be such a hassle to make that many directors would turn it down.
It would work, but it'll take time to get off the ground let alone make it big

ps. A Doom movie! Now there's an idea that could work flawlessly

Mighty_Matt
31st Aug 2004, 15:44
Originally posted by Redeemer_and_Destroyer
ps. A Doom movie! Now there's an idea that could work flawlessly

lol, well it depends on how its presented, obviously it can't focus exacty on the plot of the game since Doom3 is an emmirsive Single player experience with a character that never talks

but an account of a bunch of people traped deep in Delta labs when Hell breaks loose could be kinda fun, or it could more deeply explore the actions of Swan and his bodyguard as they try to blow up the base, or Both!!

its already evident that Doom3 takes a lot of inspiration from the Alien movies (heck i even saw Carmack say that himself!) so a Doom movie would no doubt have a similar feel, but with more Gore and Demonic references rather than Alien

anyways Back on Topic!!

I'd love to see an LoK movie aslong as it doesn't suffer the fate of Tomb Raider!, does Angelina Jolie even Try to sound British anymore!??

man those movies realy made me feel sad that eidos gave so much control to the Movie producers and pretty much erased any links it had to the videogame, beleive it or not folks TR does have a storyline and Lara does have a character, kinda Ironic how its the games now that have far more depth and intelleigence than the movies

Gatsu81
5th Sep 2004, 20:32
Did everyone ever think of making a movie of this story? maybe an animation movie..
I've really loved this games..geez the story's GREAT!!!
I didn't played the first but from soul reaver i've played everything ;)

If it's of some value: i didn't like the camera of the last one (who did?)..i give my vote for the purposal someone did of insert the choice in the next episode of the "prehistoric" camera..
I was exploding in Vorador mansion..jumping on the pillars..
i still have nightmares..;)

Gatsu81
6th Sep 2004, 10:18
Yes!! absolutely it would be a great film..
For the voices..you know i'm italian..all the films are dubbed and so the game..
in stores there's only italian version..i got used to that voices..
But it's a YES, MOVIE!!! :)

Raziels Avatar
10th Sep 2004, 23:36
I don't think I've ever seen a thread go on for a couple of years ... but here it is!

Ok, I would have to say that if they made a movie of the LoK/SR series, I would spend my hard earned money to see it/purchase it. Del Toro made Hellboy, too, didn't he? That wasn't too bad at all for a somewhat lower budget film. I think he could work wonders.

Which raises the problem; computer animate it to retain the original voice cast? Or, find live actors and chance it will turn out crappy without the original actors? Personally, I cannot picture Kain or Raziel, or anyone else for that matter, with a diiferent voice than they have now. And whoever mentioned dubbing is sad, I agree. So, if they DO make this into a movie(s), then we have to deal with one or another issue: animated or live acting. I personally don't care much about what I see, since that Final Fantasy movie looked pretty damn good. I would vote that they animate it and retain the original voice cast.

This storyline deserves widespread recognition, not just the gamer world.

Smoke_Z
11th Sep 2004, 14:03
I'm sure that with a large enough budget, they could convince Simon Templeman to do Kain in a live-action, and the makeup technology could keep up.

As for Raziel, unless they're going to give him full body armor or do something else to change his appearance, he's probably going to have to be a synthespian. (Did that word ever catch on?)

The Fortified Hooligan
6th Nov 2004, 17:41
a la Final Fantasy : Advent children.

Im not sure how this would work out financially.

I know that games are becomming more and more expensive to
produce as the production value gets better.

The price difference between producing a game and a CG movie
may not be too extreme.

Bonus,

we could retain all the increadable voice talent in the LOK universe, and
expose the games themselves to a wider audience.

it would likely satisfy all the fans who crave the movie experience

would put a nice punctuation mark on the franchise if the next game is intended to wrap up the LOK story.

at least I would buy it, but that may be little solice next to a 30 million dollar budget, or whatever you are working with.

Matthew Danvers
6th Nov 2004, 18:24
Hmmm... truly a tough one... :)

Well, I think you all know what the crazy fan inside us all wants... ;)

But, alas, things are very much different when it involves a company and their financial success, especially the company we love. We all also know how movies based on video games seldom achieve profit.
Actually, this all has been very unnecessary to say. Sorry. Please form a line to my right so I may give you back your time. :p

Um, well, I suppose if a Crystal Dynamics employee accidentally, inexplicably and conveniently stumbled upon a giant pot of gold at the end of the magical, magical rainbow and if they were truly out of ideas to expand the saga of Kain and his legacy, then I'd guess it wouldn't hurt to have a cool CG movie. :)

I mean, I'd go watch it. And buy it. But not before I would drool in front of posters and in front of the PC screen staring at the trailers. :D

So there. :)

- That Matt

rabban
7th Nov 2004, 21:31
i was trying to get a 3d fan based lok animation on that would retell the sr portion of the game's story. since we only have the audio to the games to use...the plot always felt incomplete or had some sort of manipulation that could not satisfy the rest of the group it was a good attempt but it crumbled before we even got to complete the storyboards.

Guardian OF The Reaver
4th May 2005, 17:11
Has anybody ever wondered if the original voice cast will do the new cast. with the game developing team been switched.

I hope it is the original cast cause Simon Templeman is Kain and his voice is just awesome.

Plus do any of you think a film version of the seriees would be totally cool.
cause with simon and the rest of them been totally awesome acters they would make it totally cool.

TheWatcher
4th May 2005, 20:05
I don't see why the voice acting would change just because Eidos got bought out. I would hope those now in charge are smart enough to realize most LOK fans are longtime fans and any changes to something as significant as voice actors will seriously tick us off! (read: drop in sales).

As far the movie goes, do a search. There's pages and pages on that. If it's live action, I could see Simon maybe playing Kain (might have to lose a few pounds, though from the looks of the Defiance outtakes). I can't see Michael playing Raziel. Makes me think of the outtakes from SR1 where he mentions that he feels an obligation to work out in order to wear tight black outfits. LOL!

wozompir
4th May 2005, 20:23
The movie will be always shorter than game, there will be less content and more action to satisfy greater ammount of people than LoK fans (most of ppl likes more action than plot content). I would like to see new LoK game, creating a LoK movie is just a waste of time and money, i think.

Omega
4th May 2005, 21:18
For the record - Eidos don't actually make the games.

Crystal Dynamics do. Eidos just published them (burned them to CD en masse and packages them).

But I no. The actors won't change.

Unless those now in control of Eidos sell the rights and someone else picks them up.

Griz
4th May 2005, 22:30
Yeah. The People In Charge know better than to change actors when we're all so used to them...at least I hope so.

I'd still buy the next LoK game if they changed the actors though. Just to see what it would be like.

Umah Bloodomen
6th May 2005, 04:36
The LOK Movie Discussion is down the hall and two doors on the right. (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=12124) :D

RagingRaziel
6th Jun 2005, 14:09
Hello there?Here,I have asuggestion&request bout LOK.

1)I have a suggestion that make the LOK the movies as appreciation to all LOK fan around the world.... :)
2)Please bring back Raziel...We miss that blue guy so much.... :(

TBS
6th Jun 2005, 14:51
Raziel cant come back...not as we know him anyway - any version of him that we see will have spent millenia trapped in the reaver.

Anyway, theres been far too much of him in the games - we need more kain :p

Raziel'sRevenge
6th Jun 2005, 15:51
Boy have you stumbled into a large topic. This one has been pretty well done, there are two schools of though on it though. On the one hand, it would be cool to have LOK in a movie, but on the other hand why? I mean it's already pretty much a movie as it is, making it into a real movie could only kill the plot. That's just my point to view though.

TBS
6th Jun 2005, 17:16
Well I know if they made a movie I'd go and see it - it would give them a chance to expand the backstory quite a lot. That said, it would have to be a CGI movie so they could use the old voiceactors (Kain without Simon Templeman's voice? unthinkable!) which could well put some people off (non-LOK fans that is). Theres also a good chance that any movie wouldnt do the story justice...regardless Id like to see it happen just to give it a chance.

anger,hate,the_darkside
6th Jun 2005, 17:17
how about they just finsh the games first than the movie because if u have a movie now it would ruin the next game if theres is and what if other people dont like the movie u expect them to play the game if the dont like the movie lol

FalseIdol
6th Jun 2005, 23:33
a move would be nice. but a book would be good too, and thats a lot more realistic

Guardian OF The Reaver
7th Jun 2005, 17:32
If this movie were to be made it would definately have to remain a CGI movie.. (hopefully done by Glyph X - the company responsible for the SR FMV).

This is the only way to ensure that the film would stay true to form with the plot elements and the voice castings.

I don't forsee this emerging as the great "blockbuster" hit. But a DVD release would be nice.

I disagree with you on this point Umah I mean look what they did with the lord of the rings films there awesome and turned out great. Also look at the master of the universe film its totally cool.

My point is if they did a live action version of the film if they took enough care it would turn ok cool.

TBS
7th Jun 2005, 18:25
A live action film could be done and it could be done well - however I would be disappointed to hear different actors voicing the characters (especially Kain, Raziel, Mobius, Vorador and the Elder God..but all the voice acting in the LoK games is superb).