PDA

View Full Version : What was the most atmospheric and moving moment you had playing any Tomb Raider game?

The Crimson One
5th Jan 2003, 01:44
What was the most atmospheric and moving moment you had playing any Tomb Raider game?

For me it was when I was playing the first Tomb Raider for the first time in early 1998.

I was exploring the City of Vilcabamba with the center area that had the small pool and the Bear in a nearby room/stall. Alot of wolveseys and bats, and simple exploration, but I had no walkthrough and was playing in the dark listening to my radio. At that time, Uninvited by Alanis Morisette came on the stereo
with that cool beginning theme. That was very atmospheric if somewhat eerie. That was when I got hooked on Tomb Raider.

Aquarius
5th Jan 2003, 03:23
Will this include custom levels, or just the official?

Hmm.....the most atmospheric was the first time I played the India levels. I mentioned in another thread, that the first time I ever played the India levels, my mom had a candle burning that smelled just like the jungle, so it literally smelled like I was in the jungle. :)

HikingBoots
5th Jan 2003, 04:10
It was in TRLR definitly.
There were a few- first, when the young Lara got her backpack.. and then later in Tomb of Set, when she comes into the large room with a sphynx head.. and then finally in Catacombs, when she gets up onto the higher sand covered ledges.. the music is just... ahhh... lol I'm a dork.

The Crimson One
5th Jan 2003, 06:40
If you're a dork than so am I, cause these are things fond memories are made of.

the last frustration
6th Jan 2003, 01:41
Several:

- Caves and the City of Vilcabamba, played on a grey but bright, sunny day during Christmas;
- Angkor Wat, played for the first time;
- Antarctica, played on a bright day in the attic (there was a window) and getting scared out of her skin when a mutant attacked;
- India, played on a demo. We killed Lara instantly, heh.
- The Base, at about 5 in the morning after playing all night;
- Most of the TRLR sections;
- South Pacific levels late one Summer evening, when the sky had turned red and pink and orange and other such pretty colours.

Now that is dorkiness, HB :D

THE True Lara
6th Jan 2003, 09:51
-there was this great moment when I was going down the escalator in TR3 in the underground, it all felt so atmospheric and real, I walked along the platform, and looked down the tube tunnel the red train warning lights shining dimly in the dark, it was almost as if I could feel the hot air of the approaching train on my face.
...then all of a sudden someone asked me what the time was and I realised I wasn't in the game I was standing waiting for the tube at Hyde Park Corner before rush hour when it's near empty.

Deekman
6th Jan 2003, 19:46
I always loved the Cistern. The first time I played it,
I wondered if I would ever find out where all that
screaming and moaning was coming from.
And since nothing ever materialized, maybe this could
be one for the Level Editor experts...

jso2897
7th Jan 2003, 02:50
In chronological order:

Walking thru the Lost Valley, and suddenly the earth starts to shake, and 'round the corner comes the T-rex. I just about evacuated my skin.

Out of the tunnel, and into the canals of Venice, and Vivaldi starts playing! I almost wept.

Coming out onto the rock shelf, in Nevada. I had just gotten and installed my first real graphics card, and was admiring how cool everything looked, and then WHOOOSH! A jet fighter right past my head!

A little later in Nevada, walking thru a metal channel under an evening sky, with distant clouds, I suddenly felt a sense of loneliness and distance and a certain unfocussed longing - it was a strange and powerful emotion. There was no event that triggered it - just the setting and imagery of my situation in the game.

The reason I love this game is it's ability to elicit complex feelings and evocative memories and dreams. Any game can thrill you, scare you, or let out your agressions - but this is special.

HikingBoots
7th Jan 2003, 03:36
Originally posted by the last frustration
Several:

- Caves and the City of Vilcabamba, played on a grey but bright, sunny day during Christmas;
- Angkor Wat, played for the first time;
- Antarctica, played on a bright day in the attic (there was a window) and getting scared out of her skin when a mutant attacked;
- India, played on a demo. We killed Lara instantly, heh.
- The Base, at about 5 in the morning after playing all night;
- Most of the TRLR sections;
- South Pacific levels late one Summer evening, when the sky had turned red and pink and orange and other such pretty colours.

Now that is dorkiness, HB :D

Remember that one time I told you about the mutant in the shed, but you thought I was talking about some different shed, and when you got to the right shed, you pisspants yourself? And then you yelled at ME for it? Ahhh.. good times...

Originally posed by jso2897
The reason I love this game is it's ability to elicit complex feelings and evocative memories and dreams. Any game can thrill you, scare you, or let out your agressions - but this is special.
Very well put. I get very excited in places where there are lots of enemies- it's like a huge adrenaline rush to just go on a shooting rampage and then come out in the end as the ONLY one left. But I came to love the London levels for the very same reason you love the Nevada levels.