PDA

View Full Version : Disabling startup movie

TiVoManiac
4th Jan 2003, 00:45
Is it possible to remove the start up movie? I have StarTopia installed on a notebook PC and would like to recover the disk space.

Thanks.

P.S. The tech support e-mail address is no good. Here is the error message I received:

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<techsupport@eidosinteractive.co.uk>

----- Transcript of session follows -----
550 5.1.2 <techsupport@eidosinteractive.co.uk>... Host unknown (Name server: eidosinteractive.co.uk: no data known)

Mucky Foot
4th Jan 2003, 00:55
No warranties implied or expressed and all, but I just tried running the game without the intro movie files present, and it seems to cope perfectly happily.

Of course, you still need the CD to play the game, and you can just install StarTopia so that it takes the intro movies from the CD, which saves your hard-drive space.

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.

TiVoManiac
4th Jan 2003, 03:25
Exactly which files are the movie files? I should have asked this.

I installed onto the PC figuring it had a big performance imact especially since the notebook is a couple of years old and not the fastest thing in the world and has a slow CD-RW drive. It seems to run okay so far and I'm willing to sacrafice disk space so long as I can afford to but I figured deleting intro movie files that I've I've already seen would be a no brainer (assuming I knew what files they were).

When the full install is performed, does the game need the CD for something other than an initial check to make sure it's in the drive?