PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider Haters

LaraAngelOfDarkness
24th Dec 2002, 18:05
Don't you hate when people just judge the new Tomb Raider without even reading about it? Or sometimes call you a pervert and the only reason they say you play it is to see lara run around in tight clothes. I have now have learned people are too judgemental. Like for example this
place:
http://www.gamers.com/game/1086415/reviews/userpreview

Most of the people love the game there but the people who gave it 1's,2's and ,3's had no good reason why.

Snickrep03
24th Dec 2002, 18:33
that makes me mad! Everyone always says the graphics,story,and controls for 1,2,3,4,and 5 sucks. Well for the graphics part the older games are old! Of course the graphics are not as good as todays. For story, tomb raider was never big on have a big plot. It was the gameplay and levels that make tomb raider good. All that was changed when tomb raider 4 came, tr4 introduced a huge storyline. Is for controls, only reason why people say the controls suck is because they suck at playing the game. And why would they rate AOD 1 and 2's even though the game hasn't even come out yet!

DaveJ
24th Dec 2002, 18:38
Originally posted by LaraAngelOfDarkness

Most of the people love the game there but the people who gave it 1's,2's and ,3's had no good reason why.

Sadly the people who gave it 7, 8, 9 or 10 had no good reason to score it that highly either....not until they have played it.

I'm hoping its gonna be great, but won't shout that out until I have proof positive.

jso2897
25th Dec 2002, 06:32
Why pay attention to all that negativity? Actually, I AM a pervert, and only play to watch Lara run around in tight clothes. What about it?

TombRaiderChik
25th Dec 2002, 14:37
ive learned people have come to love and hate tomb raider for many different reasons. some people maybe play it because they like the game in general, and some people play it for lara, like jso said. it doesnt bother me much that people hate it because we all like different things. ;)

Runtime
25th Dec 2002, 17:06
Noy another **bleep**ing lara croft game
by Gives (3/13/02) Recommended by
1 of 1
The Hype:
"who the **bleep** is going to play this peace of **bleep** except all you **bleep** head lara croft fans out there this game is what guys play when they can't meet any girls and turn to the one thing that won't reject **bleep**ing lara croft who can't even see them let me just say though if she could see you see would reject you like all the others"

Sniff sniff Lara would reject me :confused:

Not Lara she loves me :D Realy she told me so. ;)

Justin888
26th Dec 2002, 01:04
I hate that site for the most part, because there are idiots there who have nothing better to do than rate games 1 or 2 without even playing them or reading on what they're about.

A review I saw there for Summoner 2 was this:

This game stinks...
by (cant remember) (8/30/02) Recommended by
0 of 4
The Score:
AHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAH

Play Time: 0-1 Hours

jso2897
26th Dec 2002, 03:25
None of these people have played the game - they are basing their views on the subject matter - Lara Croft - and not on any direct experience of the game. But we all know that subject matter, whether it is a book, an existing game franchise, or just a concept, doesn't directly translate into the quality of a game. Plenty of great stories and concepts have been made into deadly dull video games, and plenty of great games are based on concepts so dumb it boggles the mind. One of the greatest franchises is based on a goofy looking little Italian plumber who runs around squirting things with his hose.
Sorry folks, but we're just going to have to wait and see. It's enough of a departure from the franchise that we will need to play at least a good demo before we can really see.

DaveJ
26th Dec 2002, 10:16
Don't worry about them...they are the kind of 'net geeks that Jay and Silent Bob visited and beat up in their "...Strike Back" movie.

And rightly so.

Lady in Black
26th Dec 2002, 17:11
Will Tomb Raider never end?
by Seraphim_12 (2/28/02) Recommended by
0 of 1
The Hype: 3

"Okay, I admit I have wanted for Tomb Raider to be good because it has such potential, but the graphics have always been below par, the gameplay is archaic and the control schemes are horrid. The games have always seemed unfinished, and unpolished. I hope that this one is more PS 2 oriented than PC because PC games are always riddled with all kinds of bugs that never get ironed out in thier console ports. If Eidos models the controls after the nearly perfect control of Legacy of Kain: Soul Reavor that will help emensly to garner my interest. But they also need to rework the character models and what have you to make the game more realistic. Use Angelina Jolie as the model! (PS the movie sucked too. Knowing Eidos, this game is not likely to be any good. Kain is the only good thing to come out of those guys.)"

Yeah right! I've played the demo of Legacy of Kain and I thought that game sucked! No offense Eidos, you're still my favorite company. Anyways, I didn't see any purpose for that game! I thought Tomb Raider was the best game they've ever made! Also I think that Lara deserves all the fame, fortune, and rewards she got.:)

btw: LOL Runtime.

DaveJ
27th Dec 2002, 10:35
the gameplay is archaic and the control schemes are horrid.

28 million people around the world must be having a hell of a time fiddling with this "horrid control scheme" and "archaic gameplay" then.

Lady in Black
27th Dec 2002, 16:02
Oh God...
by Master_DarkSeph (3/29/02) Recommended by
0 of 0
The Hype: 1

"If I have to hear her in another game, I'm going to die. The controls for every one of her games sucked, not much of a story-line, and they want to make a new one? This will be a disgrace to the name of Sony. Someone put this woman to sleep!"

Anyone up for making Tomb Raider 15? LOL:D :D :D

DaveJ
27th Dec 2002, 17:02
The idiot.
Not only will TR:AoD be one of the best selling titles on the PS2 ever, he is as good as admitting he is crap with the controller and crap at the game.

Anyone here had problems with the controls of a TR game? To such an extent you couldn't take it any more?

L Croft
27th Dec 2002, 19:20
Originally posted by DaveJ
The idiot.
Not only will TR:AoD be one of the best selling titles on the PS2 ever, he is as good as admitting he is crap with the controller and crap at the game.
Exactally Sony arent going to miss out on earning that much money.

Anyone here had problems with the controls of a TR game? To such an extent you couldn't take it any more?
I found the controls fine but I do play on the PC. I played on PS once and I didn't find the controls too bad.

DaveJ
27th Dec 2002, 19:39
Originally posted by L Croft
I found the controls fine but I do play on the PC. I played on PS once and I didn't find the controls too bad.

Exactly.

Rose662
28th Dec 2002, 03:03
I have never had any problems with the controls of a TR game on a PC.

In fact, I found the PC controls of TR games to be the easiest of all of the PC games I have played!

:)

The idiot.

jso2897
3rd Jan 2003, 02:18
The control schemme beef is an odd one, I agree. The contols in Tombraider may be simple and not quite cutting edge, but they're rock solid compared to most games. Ever play American McGee's Alice? Or Serious Sam? The contols in some games are more like guesses than contols. There's another franchise that never uses the very latest technology, but only that with proven reliability. Rolls Royce. Maybe it's not such a bad formula.

susan
3rd Jan 2003, 10:16
It's really funny isn't it. These guys get upset about a game they haven't even played yet to such an extent that they have to write reviews predicting how bad it will be. I wonder why? I'm not a fan of games like Fifa football but I don't get angry with every yearly update or the people that do like playing it.

The one quote that really makes me laugh is the one saying "The controls for every one of her games sucked". So, you hate the game but you've still played every one of them...? Why? If I don't like a game type I stay away from it (unless I hear it's changed drastically), I don't play the next version and the next one and the next one and then get angry about it!

Some people always have to make everything "personal" and take sides like it's a football match and the games are our teams. It's the same when people review the consoles(xbox/cube/ps2) - all those needless insults and ridicules and defensive posturing....yawn, yawn, yawn. I still have no idea what the genuine benefits of each are because of all the emotional dialogue written.

lararaider
3rd Jan 2003, 19:13
Okay, first off, men are men. Did you really expect them to say they only play, "Cuz the graphics are cool"?! Pleeeeaaassssseeee!!!!!!!! I think we all know the truth.....

Second, how can anybody "hate"(such a strong word, don't you think?) or even dislike the brilliant Miss Lara Croft. I'd give any thing to be her, what's to hate? She's awesome! And who cares if these 'tards dont like the graphics, uh, hello, numero uno(Spanish for # 1) was made in '96, or perhaps you have'nt noticed? Geez, people.

~Laters~

me

Runtime
3rd Jan 2003, 21:36
Originally posted by lararaider
Okay, first off, men are men. Did you really expect them to say they only play, "Cuz the graphics are cool"?! Pleeeeaaassssseeee!!!!!!!! I think we all know the truth.....
I play because of her wit and charm. ;)

She also has a nice eyes. :D

unkwon
3rd Jan 2003, 23:51
The same people who gripe that lara is a slut, are the same people that play Dead or Alive for hours just to look at bouncing boobs[no Offense Dave, I'm making a point here] and then go and play a game of GTA and start picking up 16 hookers and look at that :/! Today's word Kids.... Hypocrite!

charm
4th Jan 2003, 04:21
If People Would just give Tombraider a chance. I am pretty sure they would like it.
I'm 36 and Love the game!!!
after playing Tombraider I can't seem to find any other game I like as well as I like this one.
The Graphics are fine to me and I have no problem with the controlls.
I find the game very intertaining.
and have played all of them. I'm waiting for the angel of darkness to come out. it will be out Tuesday.
I can't wait. I went out and bought a playstation 2. two days ago just for this game. I am very Pleased lara did not die In Chronicles!!!!!:)

DaveJ
4th Jan 2003, 10:09
Originally posted by unkwon
[no Offense Dave, I'm making a point here]

Bless you Unkwon!

shirl123
4th Jan 2003, 12:48
Originally posted by Susan
It's really funny isn't it. These guys get upset about a game they haven't even played yet to such an extent that they have to write reviews predicting how bad it will be. I wonder why? I'm not a fan of games like Fifa football but I don't get angry with every yearly update or the people that do like playing it.

The one quote that really makes me laugh is the one saying "The controls for every one of her games sucked". So, you hate the game but you've still played every one of them...? Why? If I don't like a game type I stay away from it (unless I hear it's changed drastically), I don't play the next version and the next one and the next one and then get angry about it!

Some people always have to make everything "personal" and take sides like it's a football match and the games are our teams. It's the same when people review the consoles(xbox/cube/ps2) - all those needless insults and ridicules and defensive posturing....yawn, yawn, yawn. I still have no idea what the genuine benefits of each are because of all the emotional dialogue written.

my thoughts exactly.
but we should respect those people's opinions, even when their opinions are very immature...I don't even see the point in getting upset by 'em, I personally find those opinions/comments very ammusing and if those people don't like that game- it's their problem.
don't forget that we all got the freedom of speech, and if those people don't like the game- let them say whatever they want because you guys know that you're gonna have a good laugh when you'll read it. :D

charm
5th Jan 2003, 03:49
Dave

I like Your Poetry.

DaveJ
5th Jan 2003, 13:42
;)

Its worth remembering that the chick magnet fan-boys who frequent that site spend most of their time giving poor ratings to games coming out on the "oppositions" consoles...without having played them/heard of them/waited for their actual release.

As most people there are illiterate mouth-breathers, I wouldn't worry too much about what they have to say.

Henry
6th Jan 2003, 00:12
I dont understand people who hate Tomb Raider .Like my family.Once when I played tomb raider for few hours my mother said :"jesus christ,why are you playing that game,only perverts play it"!and almoust like that think most of people who I know.thats sad,very sad.
And about controls, controls are fine ,in most games I set same controls.Theres nothing about this game what sucks!:)

DKSM
6th Jan 2003, 00:20
I hate Tomb Raider yes I do.
I hate Tomb Raider how about you?
I hate Tomb Raider, do you know why?
I don't know either, I just wanted to sing that's why!

Damn that stunk....You won't be seeing me on MTV anytime soon.
:D

Actually, I don't love Tomb Raider, nor do I hate it. I just play it.

Jorge22
7th Jan 2003, 00:46
I agree with Henry in setting the same kind of controls for other games whenever that's possible. When you play a game like Return to Castle Wolfenstein or Max Payne it's a different story. But I still think TR rocks in every possible way! The controls are the best and they allow an enormous quantity of movements (I'm speaking of controlled movements because in many games you just hit the keyboard expecting the movements to come out right), the graphics are amazingly beautiful and very solid even when compared to games (not many) that make you go wow!, the main character does have character, the music is one of the best adapted to a game, it has enough storyline only you have to imagine a little from the things you actually do in the game and no matter how criticized as archaic Lara's moves are they still beat most of the games you can find where the characters' movements look like those from robots. So, what the hell, as much as I may have really liked games like Max Payne and Alice (even with its harder than hard commands as you find in the last level) among those I've played, I still think TR comes first and I'm truly unable to understand all the critics that come even from TR players... Of course, the perfect game is (and will be) yet to be invented!

glamiss
7th Jan 2003, 01:41
the only things i didn't like about 4 and 5 were the movie sequences every 5 minutes. well, and in 4, breaking the levels apart into 20 minute fragments, but having 3 chapters of each of those. i actually liked the longer levels of tr 1 and 3, but having movies that i can't skip outof just annoys me.

i liked that lara could somersault in 5 :) i went back and was playing 3 and 4 one day and because it had become so natural for me to have her do that i kept trying it out of habit.

the ONLY person i know that has problems with the controls of this game (tr 1-5) (and he doesn't like it because he can't control her and it requres thought and precision jumps and so on) has fingers that are too big and isn't that fast a thinker ;)

unkwon
7th Jan 2003, 11:33
I just want to think...

Maybe they just want to get on your nerves!

So in my advice, Ignore them!

I have the same problem in school!

Runtime
7th Jan 2003, 22:13
Originally posted by unkwon
I just want to think...

I have the same problem in school!

You have a problem thinking too :D

Blind Intentions
11th Jan 2003, 01:25
LOL@Runtime

That was mean :D

I liked the many cutscenes. They kept me interested in the levels that I thought were a drag. If I knew I wasn't going to miss anything vital to the game in those levels I would have done a cheat and skipped the levels in a heart beat.