PDA

View Full Version : Storyline ideas?

Digital Ruin
16th Dec 2002, 09:53
I was just curious what the general opinion was for the storyline of Thief 3. I would really like to have the third completely about the Keepers, where they came from what is this prophecy of doom that is always correct. Obviously Garrett is destined to be the unexpected savior from some great evil as in the last but where is it really going? Maybe Viktoria makes a surprise return because she was always my favorite from the beginning.:D

Anyone who has played the last two know they have to finish it now or make some real revelations into whats really going on. Both game gave you a little piece here and there of Garrett destiny but nothing was ever really revealed. I think I'll crazy if they try and string it out for a fourth game... any ideas out there?

DR

littlek
16th Dec 2002, 14:47
I sure hope the Keepers, Benny and the Mechanists will be in the T3 story line but I pray they do not end the story.....that means no T4...T5...! Look how many Tomb Raiders there are and I do not think the the LC character and story line are that good.

ChangelingJane
16th Dec 2002, 18:07
Originally posted by littlek
Look how many Tomb Raiders there are and I do not think the the LC character and story line are that good.

However, that's *why* they can churn out so many--the character and story aren't as important, so they can throw together some cliche BS story without any real writing effort required, and instead put their focus on the boob-bouncing animations for the next game.

Even if they were to end the storyline involving Garrett in T3, they could still continue making games in the Thief world itself.

littlek
16th Dec 2002, 19:08
Originally posted by ChangelingJane
....put their focus on the boob-bouncing animations....

LOL. I always thought LC was some animator’s fantasy. I have only played 2 TR games but noticed she even had boobs in one game when she was supposed to be an adolescent!

I do hope they do not write out Garrett. At least that character has personality.

Digital Ruin
17th Dec 2002, 09:24
I would love to see more than one more Thief also, BUT like the post above... when that happens they usually kill the story and characters and just draw out the game longer than it should be. I agree that this should be the last for Garrett. They could always keep the Thief "world" and bring in a new main character in a different city with a completely different storyline.

Besides how many first person, non 100% rpgs last more than a two or three games? Yes I love how Thief is unique in actually having a story line and objectives but thats where the similarities end. If they start putting to much RPG features into it than I don't think that game would have the same appeal. I love rpg's, but Thief gives you a chance to totally forget about having to level your character and increase your weapon power and things like that, and allows you to get more into the story of the game, finding secrets, etc. I've played Thief 2 all the way through three times on every level of difficulty and I STILL haven't found every single secret.

And no I wouldn't want more Mechinists. They had their time just like the Hammers and it would just be boring to ressurect them. Eidos can think up problem.

DR

littlek
18th Dec 2002, 15:18
Maybe they could use Benny as the lead character! :D We could have a drunk mode.

theBlackman
20th Dec 2002, 04:04
Originally posted by littlek
Maybe they could use Benny as the lead character! :D We could have a drunk mode.

Sorry to disappoint littlek. Jackie Chan has a copyright on that. :D :D

Munin the Raven
22nd Dec 2002, 03:17
Myself, I'd really like to see the Hammers again. They're quite possible my favorite faction in any video game I've played. What's not to like about quote-spewing, heavily armed religious fanatics?:D I just like the way their religous symbol, philosophy, and fanatic devotion tie together to represent an extreme ideal in law and order for Thief's quasi-medieval society. They just seem to fit the rest of the Thief world perfectly.;)

Seeing as Thief III is supposed to about the Keepers, I think Thief fans are in for a fair amount of mystery solving but even more mystery making, typical of the previous two games. I would like to see more about the Necromancers too though. I think the developers may have had some plans for this "faction" while making Thief Gold and Thief II (there are references in The Mage Towers and one of the dropped missions for Thief II was a "Necromancer's Tower" mission, there's also the small tower in Life of the Party).

Digital Ruin
24th Dec 2002, 13:24
Yeah the necromancers are a good idea. I got the crap scared out of me in "Life of the Party" when I wandered into that tower and read the book. Suddenly I had two zombies after me. Definitely good for a scare.

DR

newk007
9th Jan 2003, 11:51
Yeah the necromancers are a good idea. I got the crap scared out of me in "Life of the Party" when I wandered into that tower and read the book. Suddenly I had two zombies after me. Definitely good for a scare.

Too right DR. I'm playing Thief II for the first time through and I played that mission 3 days ago. Scared the hell out of me... but I they couldn't see me where I was, so I made a dash for the window and got out to safety... phew!!!

Myself, I'd really like to see the Hammers again. They're quite possible my favorite faction in any video game I've played. What's not to like about quote-spewing, heavily armed religious fanatics? :D I just like the way their religous symbol, philosophy, and fanatic devotion tie together to represent an extreme ideal in law and order for Thief's quasi-medieval society. They just seem to fit the rest of the Thief world perfectly. ;)

Those hammers... ha! No I'd like to see more police... hang on, who ARE the police anyway!?!? You've got Hammers running a prison, but they're just churchies. The Mechanists are churchies too, but they roam the streets like coppers! Then there's the city watch (the dudes in blue)... they don't follow any religion, but they do patrol the streets like the other two. If you ask me, it's a very confusing world! Imagine having 3 different factions after your blood!

Ideas on Thief III. Geez, I don't know where to start! I don't see how Thief III will have much to do with the Keepers because Garrett seems to be entirely against them and their cause. He rarely listened to what the Keepers ever had to say in the past two games. But then maybe he will come around and rejoin? We'll see. I think Garrett's time in the spotlight should start to come to an end. How about this: He gets pickpocketed by a kid, and in this kid he sees himself as he once was. Then he takes the kid in and teaches him like the Keepers once taught him, and eventually takes the kid on a mission. Maybe in this mission Garrett gets captured, and then you have to play as the kid to bust Garrett out of prison. Or maybe Garrett gets killed? (Sad news I know, but it's not real!!!) Then if there's another game, you can play as this kid or something.

Rather lame huh???? lol!

I would love to see more than one more Thief also, BUT like the post above... when that happens they usually kill the story and characters and just draw out the game longer than it should be. I agree that this should be the last for Garrett. They could always keep the Thief "world" and bring in a new main character in a different city with a completely different storyline.

Hey, you took my idea.... :(

CorneliusFuscus
6th Mar 2004, 16:00
Hmm from what I read from the Sotiline section on the site I made some horrific discoveries that don't match the first two games at all.

First: it says that the keepers were the enemies of Garret. Where'd that come from? They never saw eye to eye : true. But that doesn't mean they were enemies. In fact the Keepers busted Garret out of Constantine's mansion in T1, gave him the lead on Karras in T2 and even warned him of Viktoria's assult on the mechanist cathedral. So where did the enemy part come from?

Second: I don't like that mechanists were kicked out of the game. Since when if a leader falls (such as Karras) the whole order crumbles? There should be splinter mechanist factions struggling to unite their broken order by fighting among themselves untill someone gains the upper hand....

Third: I sincerly hope that they don't make Garrett a selfless saviour of the world. I mean he-s a thief... He doesn't feel the urge to save the world... again(Remeber the final of T1? "You can tell your friends that I'm through...Tell them this:<<Garrett is through>>") We've had enough of heroes with principles that try to save the world...These characers are so cliche!

Fourth: I don't know what the part with the hammers is but I assume that with he decline of the Mechanists they gained once again the upper hand.. I want to see them try to inpose their principles in the population and I want them to be as zelous in fighting crime and praising the builder....And let's not forget that Garret saved the high priest back in T1..

imported_deadly_thief
15th Mar 2004, 21:47
i think a thief girl as a rivel then turns to partner in crime story would be good and do remember its been about 3-4 years since the first game so i think they've had enough time

Kerghan
19th Mar 2004, 12:12
From the ending movie of T2, it would seem that Garret did associate himself with the Keepers once again. Something was said like this (I'll make it a spoiler, although after all these years it seems unnessecary)-
[Garret: "And all this was in your prophecy. Victoria's death, blah blah blah"?
Keeper: "Yes, all was foretold".
Garret: "Tell me more..."

Well, it went something like that anyway...

Just my opinions:
*Don't kill off Garret! If you gotta get rid of him, there are better ways to do it then kill him off.

*The City was ruled by a Baron I believe. He went off to organize a war, leaving no firm leadership behind him to keep things running smoothly. This is why the factions have gained power and the city watch was so corrupt. I could be totally wrong about this one, but it's the impression I got from reading a few of the books in T2. I know it was mentioned a couple of times that the City is at war during the time of T2, so maybe give us more details on this? Probably not, but I'm interested...

*Don't have some good looking 'thieftress' come along and 'sweep Garret off his feet'. This is not Hollywood. Nor is it Max Payne 2. Garret is a real playa :cool: (lol, sarcasm). He doesn't let emmotions cloud his judgement.

*Don't make the Keepers the main enemy! I'm afraid this is going to happen and at some point you're going to find those new 'gliph altered assassins' after you. It was mentioned that the Keepers think Garret could be an enemy.

*Necromancers have always been my favorite in any fantasy related setting, and I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same way. A whole faction for them would be great, but it looks doubtful as we have no information on the website about any necromancers.

*I wouldn't mind seeing Victoria again, but they'd have to think of a really good excuse for this. She seemed quite dead last time we saw her. ;)

(more coming if I can think of any)

Guineapiggy
19th Mar 2004, 18:50
Yeah, the barron went leaving Truart to maintain order from what I can work out. As for during Thief1... not a clue.

coldplay_josh_106
21st Mar 2004, 17:09
I dunno what all this talk of a baron is about? Which section of the game do u find this information?

As for the love interest ur talkin about, did no one notice that garrett had feelings for viktoria? Maybe she does come back but instead of her being good, she is the great evil that the keepers had predicted, and garretts task is to kill her to save everyone else.

accually thats a terrible story line its like buffy or somthing. garrett only cares for himself at the end of the day.

I think the story with the keepers, which is explained on the website, is that a member of the keepers is betraying them, and keeper orland suspects it could be garrett, thus he sets his bad ass keeper assassins out to kill garrett (thier sooooo cool)

I tink the hammers are some how involved in the plot, but i aint heard anything about mecanists.

AresJMD
22nd Mar 2004, 21:21
I would love to hear some comments on the mechanists and their downfall in the third Thief game. Personally, I do not want the game to be to faction / cult oriented. Meaning; I don't want all this nonsense with some big tough group trying to be all powerful to later destroy things. I loved the Hammers in the first game, but the Mechanists seemed rather boring to me.

Wouldn't it be nice to see the mechanist devices used as flower pots and gardening tools? Maybe a shop in town will be selling scrap materials from an old bomb launching baddy! I also hope there is much more supernatural adventures in this game! The only time I saw a zombie in Thief II, was at the Mechanist Cathedral in the catacombs...poor Lonely Zombie Hammerite was looking for someone to smite :( Oh and the library, and cemetary..can't forget about those ghosts / zombies also! haahha

Have a good day everyone! Part III is gonna KICK HINEY!

John

Kerghan
23rd Mar 2004, 11:48
I dunno what all this talk of a baron is about? Which section of the game do u find this information?
I'd be glad to tell you where the very limited info on the Baron and the war can be found in Thief 2...but I don't want to replay the whole game! I had found info only about 2 or 3 times, I'm pretty sure that Mosely (Truart's second in command with a soft spot for the Pagans) mentioned it in one of here letters, or maybe a journal. It might have also been mentioned in the bank mission, but I'm really not sure about that one and there are notes left everywhere so even if there is info there, it could be hard to find. Anyway, all it mentions is that the city is ruled by a baron, and the baron is off at war with some enemy of The City. Maybe there was more info about all this in Thief 1? I never played through the first game, but somehow I get the impression that this was brought up in T2.

Captain Mainwaring
24th Mar 2004, 10:16
Actually, they are going to change the story line somewhat. This is what it says on the latest info on the story line of Thief III DS:

'He was a cop, and good at his job. But then he committed the ultimate sin, and testified against other cops gone bad. Cops who tried to kill him, but got the woman he loved instead. Framed for murder, now he prowls the badlands. An outlaw hunting outlaws, a bounty hunter, a RENEGADE!'

And Garrett will have an annoying native american as a sidekick.