PDA

View Full Version : Tafn 2000-2002

Rutam
12th Dec 2002, 21:50
We are back.....nothing much to say here !

------------------------- 2000 - 2002 ------------------------

Some bad news people....TAFN has officially been shut down. Following are the reasons :

1. Few hits, webspace providers won't accept sites with 200-300 hits a day. Atleast 700-800 are needed to compensate for server charges.
2. Stagnant gameplay, and no changes over the original. No maps/mods, and/or any editing information.
3. Hardly any incentives available, when promoting game development and modification.

That's basically it ! I will be around.....if anybody is interested in launching a website of their own, and need help, do mail me at rutamonline@hotmail.com

Personal Website : http://imaginationincorporated.cjb.net

I am grateful to all the nice people who contributed to the website, and I thank commandos fans who visited the website for their support.

ragsy
12th Dec 2002, 23:41
It is a sad thing indeed that we have to shut down such things through the lack of mods / extended gameplay

I even asked pyro and Eidos for help with mods but to no avail

I've seen this community grow to an impressive size and virtually dissappear, it only took six months yet the community was strong for BEL BCOD thanks to the mods

Hopefully they will learn from this mistake

Xcom
13th Dec 2002, 00:41
Yeah, this sucks. I will never forgive Pyro for not putting any effort in developing some kind of editing tools (any kind of tools, even the most buggiest ever tools). I would rather have them release the GDK for C2 than release C3.

But..eeh..Rutam,

Why do you need this stupid servers with hit counts as measurement? Why can't you get decent payed webspace? For $30 lousy bux per year, you can get 1GB space with 10GB monthly bandwidth (http://www.worldwebhosters.com). If I had the time to maintain website like yours, I myself would have done it long ago.

Rutam
13th Dec 2002, 06:41
Yes, I can understand Xcom, but the point was to establish a website whereby nobody had to shell out even a penny. None of the staff/contributers did....and the funds from Commandos sales (from Amazon) were put into the site shift from a free webhost to a premium host. TAFN never asked for Donations/Paypal services, from the fans. The deal with the host was to display his banners for 2GBs of space, and unlimited bandwidth. I am not cribbing about the service, as gamerspulse.com was outstanding...and the servers were top-class. Earlier TAFN scored about 5000-8000 hits/day. Then as the game grew old, the hits chart followed an exponential curved path and impressions were poorer by the day. So gp.com couldn't afford to keep such a massive website (c2 videos and all), on just 200-300 hits/day. So it was just a matter of time....

Xcom
13th Dec 2002, 06:52
I see. Well, this is sad.

edit:

I forgot to add that you have very nice personal website. Maybe you can explain to Thorup how Flash sites are supposed to be made. :D

1shot1kill
13th Dec 2002, 12:08
:(

Mike_B
13th Dec 2002, 15:17
Sad news TAFN was the best commandos site around :(

Thorup
13th Dec 2002, 22:31
Originally posted by Xcom
Maybe you can explain to Thorup how Flash sites are supposed to be made. :D

eh..mm...eh Hey you are hurting my feelings:(

Sad news that tafn is gone. it was indeed the best commandos site. Drop Zone and The Fortress were nothing compared to it.;)

Longshot
14th Dec 2002, 02:58
This is sad for the Commandos Community I think, all the top Commandos sites are closing down. First CTF then TAFN. Also Commandos: MI6 is pretty much dead...sad sad days for all of us :( :( :(

Thorup
14th Dec 2002, 10:51
I heard that CTF is just moving somewhere else and will soon be up and running:)

1shot1kill
14th Dec 2002, 20:34
It's not much use starting something up again untill C3 is close to release.

Thorup
17th Dec 2002, 07:57
but it is the english that are the best sites....but if I get time to make one it will of course be norwegian

ragsy
17th Dec 2002, 22:36
gee wiz, i better start studying Norge then :rolleyes:

David
17th Dec 2002, 23:29
Originally posted by Thorup
I heard that CTF is just moving somewhere else and will soon be up and running:)
hehe...i wish it would be true:(
i guess ctf is dead for ever:(
well,maybe if Anton will ever make GameMarchal,then ctf will reborn again :rolleyes:

Drop Zone and The Fortress were nothing compared to it.
Hmm,thing again Thorup:mad:

1shot1kill
18th Dec 2002, 14:13
but it is the english that are the best sites....but if I get time to make one it will of course be norwegian

Why would you make a site for the 3 people in Norway playing this game? :P

David
21st Dec 2002, 22:09
i guess a lot of people dont stick with this game too much:( they complete and go to other games.

ragsy
23rd Dec 2002, 00:30
Originally posted by David
i guess a lot of people dont stick with this game too much:( they complete and go to other games.

sad but true :(

1shot1kill
23rd Dec 2002, 15:27
It needs a multiplayer that beats the singleplayer, the community will definatly stay alive then.

ragsy
24th Dec 2002, 03:30
do you mean a better multiplayer system, like deathmatch or somthing? if so i agree,

cooperative missions are really no different to single missions

1shot1kill
24th Dec 2002, 14:15
Well, they have said they will get a better multiplayer, i just hope it will be more than simple deathmatch. Game types like cooperative, conquest and ctf are some other things i hope they are considering.

1shot1kill
26th Dec 2002, 17:36
Ehm, for some reason TAFN is back atm.

http://commandos2.gamerspulse.com/

David
3rd Jan 2003, 00:51
yep....and it will be online for a looong time :D

Rutam
3rd Jan 2003, 13:37
Yeah, it will be online for C3 ! Infact some major updates coming next Summer :cool:

Mike_B
3rd Jan 2003, 18:25
That's good news Rutam!