PDA

View Full Version : If you want to trade in PE. read this...

mrdefender
12th Dec 2002, 20:11
I went and traded Project Eden today at our Local EB and.. got a shocker...

Its not worth it (even though I did trade it in, but i finished the game so many times it was getting to the point of playing it with my eyes closed).

I traded it in for... get ready... 1$ !!!

So consider it carefully if u want to trade in PE.

Of course, this might not be a generalised value. I'd bet if a game is popular in one area, it would be worth more (cause they could still make alot of $$ of it).

So consider it very very very carefully. and ask urself this question; Is it worth giving away this game for a buck?

Oh. This was for the PC version. I know its a PS2 game too but im not sure if its on other consoles...

Rook
13th Dec 2002, 07:44
Well all trade-in PC games go for cheap.;) :p

I bought PE (PS2 version) for only $15, so a trade-in (when I've finished it, that is) would probably only turn up about $4 at the most. I have a hard time trading in games, though. I usually keep them even after I've beaten them several times--unless the game totally sucks, in which case I don't even bother trying to beat it first.

I'm surprised that you would part with it for $1, even if you've played through it a lot.

mrdefender
13th Dec 2002, 17:10
It wasnt a difficult choice...

Either I trade it now or it stays on my shelf and gets traded some other time... Decided to do it now.

I'm saving up monney for a GC. I've got 150 and its 229 + taxes.

I'm more than half-way there :)

If I decide to not get a GC, id still have monney for PC games.

I got C&C Generals and Unreal 2 fully paid, but there's Elite Force 2 and Deus Ex 2 comming out in feb and march.

Rook
14th Dec 2002, 07:15
I might get a GC myself, once the price drops just a bit more. I can't think of very many games for it that I am interested in right now, which is why I'm holding off till it becomes a bit more reasonable...

mrdefender
14th Dec 2002, 17:04
I was thinking on a PS2 or XBOX (the fact that its also a dvd player makes it interesting) but theres only a few (2 or 3) games on each console that I'm interested with.

There's like 10 games im interested in with GC.

Besides, the GC is small and i have room for it, the PS2 is as high as my PC Tower and the xbox, i hear, is a very big.

Rook
14th Dec 2002, 21:02
What?! Only 2 or 3 games on PS2 that you're interested in? That's all?!! But how?!:eek:

LOL There are really only 2 or 3 games for GC that I'm interested in. I guess it goes both ways.:D

I ended up buying a PS2 before any other console because, for one thing, Soul Reaver 2 was coming out exclusively for that console, and for another, PS has a lot more games available for its consoles than the others (especially since both regular PS and PS2 games work on the PS2). Basically, though, I spent the whole $300 on the PS2 just so I could play SR2. I'm just addicted enough to that game series to spend ungodly amounts of money to play it...:o :D

mrdefender
15th Dec 2002, 06:37
Yah. only 2-3 games (off the top of my head)

There's the Red Faction 2 (that #@%@% came out only on PS2, leaving the PC fans of Red Faction (1) very very (x1kkkkkkk) dissapointed. Namely me ;) ).

There's the dead of rights (?) that looks alot like max payne and a kungfu mod.

There's blade 2 :)

Oh! metal gear solid (the new one with "OVER 500 MISSIONS!" )

MGS commercial is neat. This guy is sitting at his desk "air playing" the game (another term is using his imagination) and his boss comes out looking for him and the report that was due this morning :)

So he sneaks under the desks, hides in a box (the bottom is off so he can walk and stop and he'd look like a box... a box in the middle of the room but still.. a box :) ).

After putting the report on his bosses desk, he sneaks out thru the window (like at the begining of matrix) and his boss notices em and u see a orange ! ontop of his head.

:)

Is it just me or do commercials keep getting better and better? (but i can name lots that are horrible, imho)

We got the best commercials :) Take a look here; (you need flash 6)...

http://www.blockbuster.ca/ (yes... .CA! .CAnada !!)

Click on "meet carl and ray" go to videos (tv) and take a look.

It might be a good idea to pause the movie and let it download completley before "playing" them. otherwise u'll end up pausing or gowing back and forth in playback.

My favorites; Kungfu, Gotta Dance, Pri... ah heck, they're all funny :) And they're really well done (hamster and rabbit)

Rook
16th Dec 2002, 06:49
Ooh, I almost bought Red Faction 2 when it became a "best seller" and the price dropped, but I haven't yet. It's not really my type of game, though I'll give just about anything, short of sports games, a try. I wouldn't mind playing Blade 2, just to see what it's like.

And I'm hoping the upcoming Devil May Cry 2 will be available for PS2, too. It looks absolutely wicked. I wish the first game had been a bit longer, though. Hopefully the second will make up for that...

I couldn't live without my trusty PS2.;)

mrdefender
16th Dec 2002, 17:41
Red Faction (series) is a fanctastic game! (Red Faction for PC anyways...)

Trapped in a room? Make ur own door :)

You can litterally change the map from inside the game.
(not permanent, once the map reloads it resets. but it lasts until the map is finished (frag limit reached or time limit or whatever)

Rook
17th Dec 2002, 07:53
I've actually had quite a few people recommend the Red Faction series to me. I might just have to give it a try sometime soon.

mrdefender
17th Dec 2002, 20:29
The first one (the original) is available on both PS2 and PC.

the PC version has cheats (all weapons, god mode and no clip i think) the PS2 is non-cheatable. Ud need a GameShark.

But the code for all weapons on PS2 (GS) is like 60 lines long :)

Rook
17th Dec 2002, 20:39
Well, I've got the PS2 Gameshark, but I'm not sure I'd want to bother with 60 lines of anything. I'm bound to get at least one number wrong, and it'd be a royal pain trying to figure out which one. :eek: :o :D

mrdefender
18th Dec 2002, 04:28
Yah need to get into the season of things :)

I had 2 packs of those "if one light is busted, all of em dont work" lights for christmas tree.

Eugh. Try checking thru 150 lights x2 to find out which one is busted :)

Rook
18th Dec 2002, 04:38
LOL I had to fiddle around with a couple of 100-light sets, trying to figure out which bulb wasn't working on one, and putting 20 new bulbs in the other. After all of that, I ended up finding 2 perfectly good strings of the same lights in a storage box buried in a closet. Ouch... :o :D

mrdefender
18th Dec 2002, 18:23
:D LOL!!! :D

I know, its a pain. I think thats why they removed those from the market (around here anyways). They have to test it to make sure they work and most of em dont so the engineers got sick and tired and said "screw this!" :D

Well, thats what I'd say if i had to test thousands of those things per day and only 2 or 3 packs work :)

Rook
19th Dec 2002, 08:00
LOL

I am glad they changed them so that, if one light went out, the rest still stayed on. I remember the "old style" Christmas lights and, dear God, they were a pain to work with!! :eek: :mad: :D

mrdefender
19th Dec 2002, 20:30
The thing is, they put less extra bulbs in the "1 doesnt work but the others do" than in the "1 doesnt work, pray for a miracle"

:/

Rook
20th Dec 2002, 07:59
True.:D

Or the extra bulb or two that they do include is almost never the color of the one that needs to be replaced. And putting two of the same color bulbs right next to eachother seems to stand out more than having a light that just doesn't work. :o :)

mrdefender
20th Dec 2002, 19:51
Not here, here its even. They give u 1 red and one green (if those aren't the main colors, its one of each).

As for you, you might want to try to "swirl" the lights that have 2 of the same color next to each other. Try putting them at the back of the tree (out of sight).

The other lights around those 2 would hide the wrong ones (wrong being the 2 reds next to each other.. or 2 greens.. or whatever)

Rook
21st Dec 2002, 07:25
Well, it seems like putting the same color bulbs in the back would work, but somehow through the branches, they'll still seem to catch my eye in a most annoying way.:D

mrdefender
22nd Dec 2002, 00:06
I never noticed people who spend most of their time looking at the tree. If its properly placed/allinged. They wont notice it for the few peeks at it.

Rook
22nd Dec 2002, 09:28
Well, we did get a fairly nice tree this year, so I've been staring at it a lot. ;)

Still haven't gone back to pay for it, though... :eek: :o :D

SuzieCroft
22nd Dec 2002, 20:03
$1?!

That's 70p!!

It's an outrage!!

mrdefender
22nd Dec 2002, 21:07
70p? 70 pounds?

Is that cheap or expensive?

Rook
24th Dec 2002, 06:42
I don't think it's quite that much, Defender. ;)

mrdefender
24th Dec 2002, 07:22
Dunno. Hard to tell. Maybe Croft thinks its american dollars. :)

the 1$ is canadian, so its 1.50$ US.

Which would be.. ?? 105p ?

if 1$ is 70p, then 1.50 would be 105p right? Half of 70 is 35, + 70 = 105

Taxes extra :)

Rook
24th Dec 2002, 07:58
I believe $1 would be about 70 pence. A good bit less than 70 pounds. :D

SuzieCroft
24th Dec 2002, 16:38
Well, close enough.

Either way, you got a bad deal there, dude.

mrdefender
24th Dec 2002, 20:32
Pence? Is that like pennies?

What country currency is this anyways??

I know I had a bad deal, but like I said. It was either the 1 buck or it would stay at the back of my room until a later time it would get traded in and would be worth nothing.

Rook
25th Dec 2002, 01:07
I probably would've kept it, myself--in case, at some distant future point, I decided to play it again. I would imagine you've probably played it about a gzillion times, though.:)

I haven't even finished it once.... :eek: :o :D

mrdefender
25th Dec 2002, 06:26
Most games I have/bought/will buy I'll trade it in (or return it, if its in the "return policy" time frame (10-20 days) when I played it too many times. I usually finish a game (no codes) in a day or two.

But some games are keepers :) Like C&C Red Alert 2. 007 Night Fire would be a keeper but on the "fence" so to speak. Its a fun game, short but fun.

And It's bond :) The game proves it to you. :) (xray specs and looking at a women will reveal... their.. em.. underwear).

Ofcourse, Lots of kissing scenes. (wouldnt be a bond movie without a bond girl) and em. adult "hints".

Like Bond is walking in the jungle, behind a girl. The girl says the view is stricking (nice scenery) and Bond agrees... but its not for the same reason... :/

I usually skip the movies :)

I like the "end game" movie. its awesome. You see it on the commercials. Bond escapes the defense platform (escape pod) and the defense platform goes boom :)

Downloaded a demo yesterday. It's called "Gun Metal" (some sites have it as "Gunmetal"). It's awesome. Its a small demo (only 1 mission).

Its, basicly, a military "transformers" meets "power rangers".

You're a huge robot that can transforms into a jet fighter at will (well, you're will to push the button :) ). Its awesome. I keep playing the level over and over again.

I got it from Nvidia's webpage. Its a whoping 115MB but thats no prob for a god :) (internet connection poll-related joke)

Took me 5 minutes to download it :)

Rook
25th Dec 2002, 09:44
I won't trade in a game unless I absolutely hate it (and sometimes not even then). I have a hard time parting with games I enjoy, no matter how many times I might have played them. I figure, at some point, I'll probably want to go through them again just for nostalgia's sake.:D

mrdefender
26th Dec 2002, 04:22
really? wow.

I'd rather trade in the game (and get store credit) rather than leaving it in my cd tower at the back of my room.

Rook
26th Dec 2002, 08:34
Well, I've had a couple of occasions when I sold games I had finished, and I later wished I hadn't. Sometimes it's nice to go back through games after not having played them for awhile, especially a long while...:)

mrdefender
27th Dec 2002, 01:05
Hehe.

I bought the sims games (original, Living large and House Party) twice :) (returned them each time).

After House party, it took Maxis time to release another expanison so I returned the games. But I bought em again for the new expansion (at the time, Hot Date).

Then I returned them again and a few months after, Vacation is announced and released. So I bought them AGAIN!

I wanted to try the latest expansion "Unleashed" (with pets). But I dont play The Sims. I just try out the new expansion for a day or two and it sits there for god only knows how long.

Rook
27th Dec 2002, 07:23
That's very weird, Defender. I'm starting to worry about you... :o ;) :p :D

mrdefender
27th Dec 2002, 17:27
The Sims was more of a "Playing God" experience. And I didn't like it.

Also, you basicly sit at the screen waiting for something to happen while directing your Sims to interactions and stuff... :/

In one word, Boring! (for me...)

Rook
27th Dec 2002, 21:05
LOL I still haven't been able to get into SimCity 2000 for that reason. :D

mrdefender
27th Dec 2002, 23:19
Hmm.. Which old-er game do I still play...

looks around his room

I'm afraid the only old games are 1999 and above.

Not counting Solitaire :)

Rook
27th Dec 2002, 23:38
I was still playing all those ancient Atari games up until a couple of years ago when I shorted out my Atari. I miss them...:(

mrdefender
28th Dec 2002, 02:55
Hmm. There's another post about atari.. You never mentioned it being shorted out..

It's a recent one. I think its in one about my N64s shorting out... :confused:

Rook
28th Dec 2002, 03:47
:eek: OOPS! Didn't know I had done that twice...:o

Sorry 'bout that. I do miss it, though... :(

DKSM
3rd Jan 2003, 00:54
Boo!!

PS2 has it's share of good new games.
GTA:VC and The Two Towers being 2 good ones.(Got both for the holidays)

Rook
3rd Jan 2003, 00:58
ooOOOOoooohh, I'd love to play the Two Towers. I might just have to get that one next.:cool:

DKSM
3rd Jan 2003, 22:28
It's very good. Nice smooth graphics, nice atmosphere, and good action throughout the levels(damn them orcs! :D) You get special features like interviews for doing special things(getting your character to level 5) There is even a secret mission's and one has a special character.(Don't know who it is as I haven't gotten it yet) Plus, you get movie scenes as cutscenes, which is pretty cool.

mrdefender
3rd Jan 2003, 23:10
Yah, the graphics on consoles are awesome.

Unreal Championship for xbox looks awesome, but now the consoles have like 2 joysticks... makes it confusing :/

DKSM
4th Jan 2003, 01:28
I use it just fine. Never have a problem with it.

mrdefender
4th Jan 2003, 03:10
Maybe. But which did you start using first and use most often? (pc or console, kb or js)

I could handle the N64 controller. 1 joystick and 1 "d-pad" (up, down,left, right arrows) that do the same thing.

The joystick has the same purpose as the dpad (forward, back, left, right..). So it wasnt much of a problem. And the c-pad (yellow arrows) had (mostly) camera angles. (except for Zelda games... afak which had the ability to bind weapons to..)

But now you have 2 joysticks that moves the player and "free look". Not to mention all the hidden buttons :/ :)

Bringing us back to UC (Championship). I had the look and walk down but I had no clue how to shoot. Only to find out there are 2 buttons hidden on the controller.

Well.. not "hidden" but it was like an E (the middle - was smaller than the top and bottom - so it was "concealed" "hard to see".. )

Not to mention the buttons were reveresed (right was primary, left was secondary.. mouse its the opposite (left primary, right secondary or "alternative fire")

I hear they made a kb for the PS2. :) My sis' bf had some wierd connection wire that looked like a ps/2 wire (what you find on keyboards before USB and after SERIAL ports). but the interior plug was not the right one.

I'm guessing Microsoft will release a keyboard for the XBOX some time.

But then, will there be a "cheating" issue? Keyboards are easier to handle than controllers (for the general population....). Cause, take me for example, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figgure out that I'll do better with a keyboard than a controller :)

The graphics are amazing for any console. (GC, PS2, XBOX). Well.. The new "Zelda" game for GC looks.. wierd... more cartoonish than the n64 versions.

How many bits is the GC anyways? I know the N64 was 64bits (gasp! I never knew that... ;) ). I'm guessing 128?

Rook
4th Jan 2003, 06:41
I seem to find that in most of the games I play, the second joystick has no assigned use. Then, on the few others, it can be used for the "free look" thing, but that function can (usually) just as easily be assigned somewhere more convenient. Then I've had a couple of games where it was only used to open and navigate menus. I eventually get used to any control system, though...

...except Tomb Raider. That stuff is just murder...

mrdefender
4th Jan 2003, 21:03

I still prefer a keyboard. imho, it has the most customizability (is that even a word??) options than joysticks. Not to mention more buttons :)

I saw a game preview for the XBOX. It's a mech warrior-type game (mechs, blah blah). it comes with a new controler with 50 BUTTONS!!!

You got acceleration, brakes and strafe pedals. You got a gear shift, buttons to order your wingmen and team to do whatever.

The thing is just huge.

They copied the game controls. Like the drivers seat of the mech. (you see the mech's controls ingame, it matches the new controller.. so when a screen button blinks, the controller one will blink too).

I was shocked but fascinated at the same time. The developpers actually took the time to make the game "feel" right. :)