PDA

View Full Version : FFVII on Windows 8

powerincarnate
25th Nov 2012, 15:24
Well, the game will not launch. i tried EVERY THING, from disabling antivirus and firewalls, to disabling various windows components. Nothing.

Installed it on my tiny laptop with 32 bit and windows 7 and it installed fine. I have no desire to play on that tiny screen, and would prefer to play on my desktop with windows 8 64 bit. Considering the game was released in mid August, when Windows 8 was fully completed and RTM, and developers, especially big ones like square-enix would have ample access to Windows 8 prior to release. It's amazing that it was overlooked.

osgZach
25th Nov 2012, 15:27
Works fine on my Windows 7x64 install.

I suppose a compromise would be to see if your laptop has a VGA/DVI or HDMI output port, and plug it in to your monitor.

powerincarnate
25th Nov 2012, 15:56
I didn't check Windows 7 64. I probably should install it on my other hard drive, but it shouldn't be that way. It definitely doesn't work on Windows 8 64.

I actually tried to do the HDMI thing, but for whatever reason it wouldn't output to my monitor?? I'm not sure why. The laptop only has integrated graphics and is just my work laptop. My desktop on the other hand is on a large monitor, and i also have it connected via HDMI to my Receiver, and thus to my TV. So I could play the game on the Large TV. I planned on modding it with some of the high res textures and models and with better sound. But that can only be done after the game is installed fully.

powerincarnate
26th Nov 2012, 22:09
Well, the compromise is I installed Win 7 64 bit onto a second hard drive, and of course it works. I never doubt that it would work, since it worked on my 32 bit laptop. The issue is Win 8 64 doesn't work, and Square should have accounted for that with Win 8 looming just 2 months after release. At least provide a patch or something??

Oh well. Dual boot it is. By the way, I haven't patched the game to use the mods yet, but man, I still have my PS1 playstation disks and man there is a descent difference. I knew there was way back in 1998 when the PC version came out, but now wiht them on at the same time, you can really see how pixilated the polygons are on the PS1 version. In that same token, the sound on the PC sounds like crap. The PS1 version that is being emulated on my PS3 has a sound glitch on the limit breaks. That red energy sound when the limit is activated was changed for some reason.

osgZach
28th Nov 2012, 08:50
imho the best way to play a modified install is to use the original PC release version anyway, according to what I have read. It makes it easier to install them and edit some things, I think.

powerincarnate
28th Nov 2012, 16:25
bootleg has a good tutorial to take the 2012 release and turn it into the 1998 release. After doing this, I must say. Shame on Square-Enix for re-releasing the game without even a change in the audio, let alone upscaling the video, or modernizing the textures a bit. Whether you use the Remaster version, or Bootleg's version, or even the original PSX version, the audio is just SOOOOOOOOO much better than what the PC version comes with. Personally Bootleg's remastered version the best. I combined that with improved texures and character models, and increased difficulty and I essentially have a "mini" remake.

Grimoire
30th Nov 2012, 07:58
Technical issues with [FINAL FANTASY VII] belong in the [FINAL FANTASY VII PC Technical Issues and Support Forum (http://na.square-enix.com/go/forum/view/139347/236247/final_fantasy_vii_pc_technical_issues_and_support_forum)]. You are more likely to receive help there than here.

AngeloBRS
14th Feb 2013, 17:00
Hello my friends!

When I installed Windows 8 I kinda lost all installed stuff on my PC. Since I am a Steam user I wasn't quite used to keeping backups of my downloaded games, so I lost my copy of Final Fantasy VII. When I tried to re-download it, I got lots of checksum errors, asked the square-enix support for help and was told that the game couldn't run on Windows 8. You might know by now that I was pissed and in fact I was, so I got myself thinking, that maybe the problem isn't the game itself, but the digital river downloader who failed the checksums and didn't complie the files properly. As a great fan of Final Fantasy and since the VII is my favorite I decided to download it on a notebook to keep the back up just to have it. After I backed it up on an external drive I decided to try it on my windows 8 desktop and.... IT WORKED! Perfectly! The problem was indeed the digital river crappy downloader! So if you have the same problem as me you should download it on windows 7 or less, back it up (ALWAYS BACK THIS GAME UP THE DIGITAL RIVER GUYS WON'T LET YOU DOWNLOAD IT AGAIN AFTER 30 DAYS) and install on your windows 8 as you would normally.

So that's that, just sharing my experience here, hope it helps!

ToadKart
16th Feb 2013, 22:19
Hello my friends!

When I installed Windows 8 I kinda lost all installed stuff on my PC. Since I am a Steam user I wasn't quite used to keeping backups of my downloaded games, so I lost my copy of Final Fantasy VII. When I tried to re-download it, I got lots of checksum errors, asked the square-enix support for help and was told that the game couldn't run on Windows 8. You might know by now that I was pissed and in fact I was, so I got myself thinking, that maybe the problem isn't the game itself, but the digital river downloader who failed the checksums and didn't complie the files properly. As a great fan of Final Fantasy and since the VII is my favorite I decided to download it on a notebook to keep the back up just to have it. After I backed it up on an external drive I decided to try it on my windows 8 desktop and.... IT WORKED! Perfectly! The problem was indeed the digital river crappy downloader! So if you have the same problem as me you should download it on windows 7 or less, back it up (ALWAYS BACK THIS GAME UP THE DIGITAL RIVER GUYS WON'T LET YOU DOWNLOAD IT AGAIN AFTER 30 DAYS) and install on your windows 8 as you would normally.

So that's that, just sharing my experience here, hope it helps!

I still have my copy of the game installed after upgrading to Windows 8, but it says I need the serial code, which I deleted a long time ago since I had already purchased and beaten the game.

23rd Feb 2013, 19:19
Just downloaded ff7 on my pc and when i try to start it up it tells me i need an active internet connection. i am on windows 8. anyone know how i can fix this?

Grimoire
24th Feb 2013, 01:34
This thread does not belong in the [General Discussion (/go/forum/view/139231/233953/general_discussion)] forum, but in the [FINAL FANTASY VII PC Technical Issues and Support Forum (/go/forum/view/139347/236247/final_fantasy_vii_pc_technical_issues_and_support_forum)]. You are more likely to receive help there than here.

24th Feb 2013, 02:14
Just downloaded ff7 on my pc and when i try to start it up it tells me i need an active internet connection. i am on windows 8. anyone know how i can fix this?

I would really be pleased with Sony if they finished FF7 for the ps4, I don't own a pc everything I use is Mac and still know one has been able to convert it to Mac. I'm sure myself and hundreds of people would be truly excited and would feel they wouldn't leave us hanging like they did when Sony announced the ps3 at E3 with the intro to final fantasy 7 and amazing updated graphics but not once did they release it. Maybe they'll go back and work on a masterpiece besides continue making pointless plots and unessesary cut scenes.

Grimoire
24th Feb 2013, 02:19
The technical demo was just that: a technical demo. There have never been any plans to release a full remake of FFVII for the PS3.

26th Feb 2013, 07:01
I'd like to play the game myself, however I'm on Windows 8 and I've tried the Digital River download 3 times now but it won't complete. I'm oh so happy to know I just threw away $12 when I could have just played the Ultima Edition.... With any luck S-E will pull their heads out of their rear ends and realize what a poor choice it is to have Digital River as their service... suck it up and pair up with Steam so we can have reliable access to the games we purchase.

Grimoire
26th Feb 2013, 07:50
[Customer Support Contact Information (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139347/29631857/Customer_Support_Contact_Information)]

drfunckenstein
1st Mar 2013, 14:21
I have a computer with Windows 8 installed on it, it's a new Lenovo computer. I was wondering if anybody could tell me if the FF7 PC Digital Download will work correctly on the computer? Any help would be appreciated, just don't wanna waste money and buy the game just for it not to work. Thanks.

youngjedi81
1st Mar 2013, 20:48
Can't say for sure but it has been updated to run smooth on windows 7 so that being the case i'd say it should. but you can ask support or wait for actual win 8 user to confirm.

SE-Chris
4th Mar 2013, 12:16
If you head over to http://finalfantasyviipc.com/us# at the bottom of the page you can see the system requirements:

Minimum System Requirements:

Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7 (32/64-bit) • 2GHz Processor or faster • 1GB RAM •
DirectX 9-compatible graphic card

Sadly, the game was not made with Windows 8 in mind. You may be able to get it running with compatibility mode, but I can't officially endorse you making the purchase. Definitely wait to see if we can get a Windows 8 member to give you the thumbs up.