PDA

View Full Version : level editor and Win XP

Nybis
11th Dec 2002, 12:34
How well does the level editor and playing custom levels work with XP. Should I expect any problems?

Data
11th Dec 2002, 17:43
It would appear that some experience problems and others do not, however it is generally accepted that the Tomb Raider Level Editor will run ok on most systems using Windows XP. ;)

Luc [TRO]
13th Dec 2002, 09:25
Exactly the new unofficial patch which has just gone out solves all the known problems for TRLE under Windows 2000/ XP !

The major problem was the slowness of load the game or savegames with regard to Windows 9x. (more than 30 sec)
Now the loading time is less than 2 sec with all operating systems.

Ale
13th Dec 2002, 19:48
Originally posted by Luc [TRO]
...the new unofficial patch which has just gone out solves all the known problems for TRLE under Windows 2000/ XP !...
Not all the known problems , Luc [TRO], not all the known problems : Have a look HERE (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3618) :(

Luc [TRO]
14th Dec 2002, 12:03
that problem is not a "know problem" for me :

I have never had this kind of problem with XP and I have already played more than 200 levels under this system, when I said the "known problems" : they are the problems of loading speed and crash with the high resolutions.

it seems to be an error in the wad or a bug of compilation ?

can you tell me witch level does this problem ?
i will download it and try , i have xp PRO SP1 with GF3 sblive on a P4 2400.

Ale
14th Dec 2002, 23:38
Originally posted by Luc [TRO]
can you tell me witch level does this problem ?...
This bug has already been described several times, and by several peoples, in this forum.
In a few words :

The bug occurs either when Lara fire her pistols, or when she jump into water.
Windows XP crashes immediatly, and the only way to recover is a " Power off/Power on" sequence, which is a shame for a new operating system which is supposed to have built-in protections, and should terminate properly in case of problem.
It occurs with ALL LEVELS, including official levels (revised or not) , where the WADs have probably neither been wrongly made nor wrongly compiled.

It seems that it only happen with some specific hardware and/or specific drivers, so if it works for you, you will probably not be able to reproduce the problem.

Nybis
15th Dec 2002, 00:01
Uhm... I have been playing some custom levels now and I haven't noticed any problems at all. Not of the kind you speak of. And I have not downloaded any pathes at all.
The only drawback is that it takes a very long time to load up a game.
But, No crashes, nothing like that. Are you sure it's not related to your graphics or sound cards?

Luc [TRO]
15th Dec 2002, 00:55
@ nybis ,
ok with you
*******************************...but we can't talk more over that subject here ...

Data
15th Dec 2002, 11:35
The main factor which appears to hinder the Level Editor within XP is which video card you are using. With an XP machine, if you do not have a video card that fairly new, problems with drivers can arise.

I prefer to use W98 and have no problems whatsoever, however this is not the same for everyone.

The PC is never going to be 100% compatible with all software as each machine has a different mixture of cards and drivers. The PC design is particularly flawed and I sometimes think of its architectural foundation having been built on sand Matthew 7:[26] And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand (in case anyone did not understand the analogy) Personally I believe the PC should be redesigned, and this time with a view that it will stand the test of time.

Remember 640k should be enough for any application. :p :D

Luc [TRO]
15th Dec 2002, 15:04
@ data ,

that's OK , some old cards drivers aren't working correctly under xp (3dfx , s3 , Ati)

but , many new computers are now preinstalled with windows XP.
I think that there are some windows XP bugs but also bugs in the games that were not (never) programmed to run under XP.

Windows XP is a very good system and more stable than all older versions ...i would be lucky to run my favorite games (TR) under it without any problem !

In TRLR and TRC , there were already problems with win2000 but Eidos said to support this OS on the box of the games , it was not the case !
If they don't run correctly under 2K , while to hope of better under Windows XP ?