PDA

View Full Version : A Little Tidbit on Thief III

Munin the Raven
10th Dec 2002, 18:27
This is from TTLG, posted at The Circle by Dan:

The following came from The Gamestar News Page, a German gaming news site. It was sent in and translated by Matt Kimmich / Thirith.
On a visit to the Ion Storm offices in Austin/Texas we were allowed an - albeit very brief - look at Thief 3. The third installation in the thieving saga (better known in Germany as Dark Project) almost threw us off our feet due to the excellent graphics, fantastic shadow effects and extremely realistic NPC models. Talking of feet: While the jumping sequences in the first two games still were a nuisance since you never knew when Garret had actually reached the edge of a chasm, in part 3 you'll actually see the master thief's feet when you look down. This makes climbing passages so much easier. Another improvement: When picking locks there's a nice animation of Garrett's hands actually manipulating the lock. Unfortunately there are still no released screenshot.
I wonder how showing hands while lockpicking will work. I mean, before we could pick locks from any position or angle as long as we were in range. In T3, will we only be able to pick the lock if we are directly in front of it so the animation can play? Hrm. Thanks, Matt!

I'm sure the people who were complaining about their invisible feet will be relieved.:p I'm guessing the lockpicking animations will be like the ones used in Deus Ex and Morrowind and won't affect the ability to unlock anything in range/sight.

Mr. Perfect
10th Dec 2002, 19:41
Ooo. I hadn't even thought about feet. That's a cool idea.

ChangelingJane
11th Dec 2002, 05:25
That, on top of having your own shadow, is gonna make things eerily immersive, even moreso than Thief/2. This should be fun :D

Specter
12th Dec 2002, 22:10
If we project shadows, then the question that pops into my mind is; Will the AI take note and react to them? That would put a new spin on things, someone simply having their back turned isnt enough anymore......

Stile451
12th Dec 2002, 23:08
Specter, the original intent by the dev team was to have AI react to suspicious shadows, how it is currently nobody knows(media blackout).

ChangelingJane
13th Dec 2002, 03:34
Originally posted by Specter
If we project shadows, then the question that pops into my mind is; Will the AI take note and react to them? That would put a new spin on things, someone simply having their back turned isnt enough anymore......

Yep, as Salvage said, that's the idea. They said that it WILL be in for Thief III, and NOT in for Deus Ex 2. I'd like to know how the game determines what is a suspicious shadow and what isn't.

Specter
13th Dec 2002, 21:50
I guess Ive been living in the shadows, havnt I? ;-)

Bat-mite
16th Dec 2002, 21:07
I would say that any shadow that looks like a member of these forums would definitely count as suspicious!
;)

Lady in Black
20th Dec 2002, 16:30
Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
Ooo. I hadn't even thought about feet. That's a cool idea.
And you're suppose to be Mr. Perfect. lol

Well, I gotta say it sounds interesting and realistic. Looks as I got something to really look forward for. :)

newk007
9th Jan 2003, 12:04
The third installation in the thieving saga (better known in Germany as Dark Project) almost threw us off our feet due to the excellent graphics, fantastic shadow effects and extremely realistic NPC models.

That's AWESOME!!! Another brilliant game I can't run on my computer!!! ROCKIN! :( :( :(

It's upgrade time...

theBlackman
11th Jan 2003, 01:43
I've wanted FEET for years. I seem to remember a discourse on FM design, as in what do players want to see, and FEET were one of many mentions.

I've stepped off into too many pools of lava because I could never tell where my footses were. LOL

TRoosevelt_26
12th Jan 2003, 01:09
Arx has footsies. :D