PDA

View Full Version : The Music of FFVII

Quadocky
6th Aug 2012, 12:39
Okay this may not be too worthy of its own thread but by reading some article on the Escapist I infered that the soundtrack of the PC Re-Release is a recorded version of the PC MIDI soundtrack.

What I want to know, which one? The S-YXG70 version or the Soundfont Version?

I personally prefer it to be the S-YXG70 version as it find it to be the most superior of all the soundtracks.

Can anyone help me confirm or deny this?

I really want to know because the XG soundtrack is probably my favorite thing about the game and to hear it again after all these years would be such a wonderful thing. The S-YXG70 does not work on newer computers (Unless you emulate the S-YXG50 with usermode drivers and VSTI) so this is pretty much a dream come true if the rumors that is, are true.

the_randomizer
6th Aug 2012, 17:45
Okay this may not be too worthy of its own thread but by reading some article on the Escapist I infered that the soundtrack of the PC Re-Release is a recorded version of the PC MIDI soundtrack.

I personally prefer it to be the S-YXG70 version as it find it to be the most superior of all the soundtracks.

I really want to know because the XG soundtrack is probably my favorite thing about the game and to hear it again after all these years would be such a wonderful thing. The S-YXG70 does not work on newer computers (Unless you emulate the S-YXG50 with usermode drivers and VSTI) so this is pretty much a dream come true if the rumors that is, are true.

It definitely sounds like it's the same MIDI soundfont as the 1998 PC version. Thank goodness the music files are in Ogg Vorbis (.ogg) format, meaning they're swappable as long as the soundtrack you're replacing matches the file names exactly. As for me, I personally loved the original PSX version, but that's just my opinion, and I'm replacing all of them with the original soundtrack.

Quadocky
6th Aug 2012, 19:23

It definitely sounds like it's the same MIDI soundfont as the 1998 PC version. Thank goodness the music files are in Ogg Vorbis (.ogg) format, meaning they're swappable as long as the soundtrack you're replacing matches the file names exactly. As for me, I personally loved the original PSX version, but that's just my opinion, and I'm replacing all of them with the original soundtrack.

Oh darn. That is somewhat dissapointing and somewhat odd to me considering there shouldin't be any liscensing issues and that the XG soundtrack was much better. Though, if its not too much trouble could you please tell me which of these two does it sound most like?

1. The XG version of the Battle Theme

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOU4h-3FXzQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOU4h-3FXzQ)

Or

2. The soundfont version of the battle theme

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hzH4XZii5E (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hzH4XZii5E)

the_randomizer
6th Aug 2012, 20:22
The one you posted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hzH4XZii5E is the version it's closest to. But the XG version sounds cooler. If you record the XG soundtrack into WAV or export them into .OGG, you can replace the in-game soundtrack.

Quadocky
6th Aug 2012, 20:40
The one you posted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hzH4XZii5E is the version it's closest to. But the XG version sounds cooler. If you record the XG soundtrack into WAV or export them into .OGG, you can replace the in-game soundtrack.

Whoa, how mysterious. I gotta buy this game for myself when it comes out and figure it out. I suppose they really did somehow lose the license to the XG soundtrack if they are including this one but not it. Though if it turns out dissapointing I could use that already made and quite comprhensive music replacment mod that was made for the original PC version that features all those OC remixes.

OH yes, the XG version is much much cooler. EVERY song sounds perfect. The GM soundtrack was really hit and miss, plus it is missing the ambience in some songs like the bubble noise in the Mako reactor song.

the_randomizer
7th Aug 2012, 18:51
Not sure if anyone can answer this question, since it was a prerelease that was leaked, will the original PSX version soundtrack be in the final build of the game? Or, if we posses the FFVII OST CDs, can we assume it will be swappable?

Quadocky
7th Aug 2012, 22:38
Most likely through the virtue of overwriting files you can do it. I am assuming they may even add both options or something.

I really do hope that Squaresoft does add the XG soundtrack in the final release. But I don't know how the liscensing went down so they may not even be allowed to. Yamaha techincally made the soundtrack conversion for the PC originally so I have no idea. But this also includes the Soundfont that came with the game also.

Though they may end up adding the PSX version in the end. Doesn't seem like there isn't reason why they should not.

If I have enough time on my hands (and the ability to overwrite files) I may make a music override with S-YXG50 recordings. Though the legality of doing so is somewhat uncertain to me.

laphromix
14th Aug 2012, 17:06
So I got to start playing the Updated PC version which looks pretty decent but to much sorrow, the Music is the same bloody midi files from the original PC version. Why didnt they fix this? Im attempting to see if I can apply some of the old mods to the game which allowed MP3 playback as opposed to ogg.

1Clarity1
14th Aug 2012, 17:27
Oh good I thought I was the only one who was going to notice this. Yeah its pretty annoying. To be fair it sounds a lot better than it did but its still not 1:1.

Also if you get it work let me know. :)

member_10754387
14th Aug 2012, 18:13
Not sure man. I wish they would've at least done a little bit to enhance the classic gameplay. Slightly newer sound, updated graphics even if just a tiny bit would have been nice. The achievements are kind of cool though, I suppose.The worst part for me is I can't even figure out how to play it lol. Thought I'd maybe mount it as an iso and that didn't work. You know how to play it?

RyuuzakiMasato7
14th Aug 2012, 18:15
I never even knew that the first PC version had these atrocious MIDI sounds... It's putting me right off. Gods I hope a mod appears soon.

Quadocky
14th Aug 2012, 18:19
Wow, I gotta hear this soundtrack. I am downloading the game as we speak.

All the more reason to make the XG soundtrack replacement mod.

1Clarity1
14th Aug 2012, 18:51
Well I found that if you convert the mp3's from the OST to .ogg it works. It's a lot of work but its worth it.

the_randomizer
14th Aug 2012, 21:18
Well I found that if you convert the mp3's from the OST to .ogg it works. It's a lot of work but its worth it.

That's what I did, converted MP3 to Ogg and it sounds just as good as the PSX version.

Ravoz
14th Aug 2012, 21:28
How and where do you get the MP3 from the OST?

1Clarity1
14th Aug 2012, 22:18
I cant find a certain track, in the games music folder its labeled dokubo.ogg its not on the ost as far as i can tell. Anyone know?

Rokeden
14th Aug 2012, 23:35
Dokubo is "Under the Rotting Pizza" from the OST. Not sure what the literal translation is if you still have them named in japanese.

the_randomizer
14th Aug 2012, 23:38
Here's a list of songs I compliled, the romanized Japanese names next to the official titles

Warning: The list is long and still needs to have a few corrections made

aseri - 107 Hurry!
aseri2 - 408 Hurry, Faster!
ayasi - 108 Lurking in the Darkness
barret - 106 Barret's Theme
bat - 110 Fighting
bee - 116 Honeybee Manor
bukojo - 205 Farm Boy
boo - 302 Life Stream
cannon - 412a The Mako Cannon Fires!
canyon - 301 Cosmo Canyon
cephiros - 305 Those Chosen by the Planet
chase - 122 Crazy Motorcycle
chu - 120 Still More Fighting
chu2 - 214 J-E-N-O-V-A
cinco - 208 Cinco De Chocobo
cintro - Shinra Mansion
comical - ???
condor - 210 Fortress of the Condor
corel - 218 Mining Town
corneo - 118 Don of the Slums
costa - 216 Costa del Sol
crlost - 314 Tango of Tears
crwin - 313 A Great Success
date - 316 Interrupted by Fireworks
dokubo - 114 Underneath the Rotting Pizza
dun2 - 209 Chasing the Black-caped Man
earis - 319 Aeris' Theme
earislo - 112 Flowers Blooming in the Church
elec - 207 Electric de Chocobo
fan2 - 111 Fanfare
fanfare - ????
fiddle - 312 Fiddle de Chocobo
fin - 417 World Crisis
geki - 315 Debut
gold1 - 219 Gold Saucer
guitar - 407 On ther Other side of the Mountain
gun - 401 Shinra Army Wages a Full-Scale Attack
hen - 323 Who Am I?
hiku - 403 The Highwind Takes to the Skies
horror - 213 Trail of Blood
iseki - 318 You Can Hear the Cry of the Planet
jukai - 317 Forested Temple
junon - 406 Off the Edge of Despair
jyro - 308 Steal the Tiny Bronco!
ketc - 220 Cait Sith's Theme
kita - 321 The Great Northern Cave
Kurai - 104 Anxious Heart
lb1 - 415 The Birth of a God
lb2 - 416 One Winged Angel
ld - 413 Judgement Day
makoro - 103 Mako Reactor
mati - 202 Ahead on Our Way
mekyu - 322 Reunion
mogu - Highwind Short Theme (WTF?)
mura1 - 405 Parochial Town
nointro - Those Chosen by the Planet (no intro version)
oa - 102 Opening
ob - 102 Bombing Mission (these will be separated)
odds - 311 Racing Chocobos - Place Your Bets!
over2 - 215 Continue
parade - 211 Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony
pj - 414 J-E-N-O-V-A Absolute
pre - 101 Prelude
red - 121 Red XIII's Theme
rhythm - 113 Turk's Theme
riku - 412b The Mako Cannon Fires!
ro - 410 The Countdown Begins
rocket - 115 Oppressed People
roll - 418 Staff Roll
rukei - 221 Sandy Badlands
sadbar - 217 Mark of the Traitor
sadsid - 409 Sending a Dream into the Universe
sea - 404 A Secret, Sleeping in the Sea
seto - 303 Great Warrior
si - 412d The Mako Cannon Fires!
sid2 - 307 Cid's Theme
sido - 212 It's Difficult to Stand on Both Feet, Isn't It
siera - 411 If You Open Your Heart...
sinra - 109 Shinra Corporation
sinralo - 119 Infiltrating Shinra Tower
snow - 320 Buried in the Snow
ta - 201 Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII
tb - 201 Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII (during Cloud's Flashback)
tender - 123 Holding My Thoughts in my Heart
tifa - 105 Tifa's Theme
tm - 204 On That Day, 5 Years Ago
utai - 209 Wutai
vincent - 306 The Nightmare's Beginning
walz - 206 Waltz de Chocobo
weapon - 402 Weapon Raid
yado - 203 Good Night
yufi - 304 Descendant of Shinobi
yufi2 - 310 Stolen Materia
yume - 117 Who Are You?

Sen_Auditore
14th Aug 2012, 23:50
Honestly yall shouldnt be complaining, THIS IS HISTORY YOUR PLAYING! It may not be perfect but it is a rare version of FFVII with all kinds of fun files and stuff, yall should be so lucky to have so much avalibility to those files, and have them work without mods on current or even old systems! Be happy with what you have is honestly what Im trying to say, plus its not like we all havent played VII at least twelve times before.

Quadocky
14th Aug 2012, 23:58
Honestly yall shouldnt be complaining, THIS IS HISTORY YOUR PLAYING! It may not be perfect but it is a rare version of FFVII with all kinds of fun files and stuff, yall should be so lucky to have so much avalibility to those files, and have them work without mods on current or even old systems! Be happy with what you have is honestly what Im trying to say, plus its not like we all havent played VII at least twelve times before.

Pretty much, I am still somewhat suprised they included the original MIDI data and Soundfonts for no reason.

the_randomizer
15th Aug 2012, 00:00

I never said anything about being dissatisfied, I only mentioned that the soundtrack could use a little tweaking. That is all.

Sen_Auditore
15th Aug 2012, 00:01

Pretty much, I am still somewhat suprised they included the original MIDI data and Soundfonts for no reason.

I giggle honestly, its so cute how rudementary the tech was for a game that was so big on the PS1, but Edios will be Edios.

arubino99
15th Aug 2012, 00:01
In all fairness, if you had an AWE64 sound card when it was originally released w/onboard RAM, you could get better sound quality from the MIDI than you could from the original PSX. You still couldn't get One Winged Angel, but everything else sounded spectacular.

Unfortunately, not many people had an AWE64 card w/onboard memory, and the technology never caught on. This happens mostly because MIDI sucks w/out additional processing, and hard drive space became cheaper and cheaper, which paved the way for more .wav music and eventually to .mpX formats.

So there ya go - that's why. It was optimized for a technology doomed to failure. The re-release doesn't re-address the sound issues, or the odd volume changes, either.

Quadocky
15th Aug 2012, 00:08
Actually, the AWE version sounded partially better than the Roland Sound Canvas Version.

THE absolute BEST verison of the FF7 soundtrack in my opinion is the XG S-YXG70 version. It not only includes CD quality sampling, but extended instrument ranges. Such as the bubble noises in the Mako plants.

The Best Soundfont version was actually a custom soundfont someone made (around 22 MB) that actually included the Choir which all other PC version soundtracks lacked. (Well I THINK the S-YXG70 version did not, but I haven't heard it since 1999, I think it did, but only the S-YXG70 did, not the S-YXG50)

The XG soundtrack was the Best of the best of all options. Only problem was that it had a tiny bit of latency since it was purely softsynth.

arubino99
15th Aug 2012, 00:13
Actually, the AWE version sounded partially better than the Roland Sound Canvas Version.

THE absolute BEST verison of the FF7 soundtrack in my opinion is the XG S-YXG70 version. It not only includes CD quality sampling, but extended instrument ranges. Such as the bubble noises in the Mako plants.

The Best Soundfont version was actually a custom soundfont someone made (around 22 MB) that actually included the Choir which all other PC version soundtracks lacked. (Well I THINK the S-YXG70 version did not, but I haven't heard it since 1999, I think it did, but only the S-YXG70 did, not the S-YXG50)

The XG soundtrack was the Best of the best of all options. Only problem was that it had a tiny bit of latency since it was purely softsynth.

Weird... I remember my AWE64 card also supporting the Yamaha synth driver that you could install with the original. I can't recall which exactly I used back then. But I do remember upgrading my PC and ditching that ISA slot (sad times), and even with the Yamaha S-YXG files installed, it sounded like crap after I upgraded.

In any case, let's get a mod for the original soundtracks to .ogg with proper looping for THIS version. :)

Also, anyone have a fix for the sound fx volumes changing during gameplay?

Sen_Auditore
15th Aug 2012, 00:13
I freakin love learning about old tech. XD

Quadocky
15th Aug 2012, 00:15

Weird... I remember my AWE64 card also supporting the Yamaha synth driver that you could install with the original. I can't recall which exactly I used back then. But I do remember upgrading my PC and ditching that ISA slot (sad times), and even with the Yamaha S-YXG files installed, it sounded like crap after I upgraded.

In any case, let's get a mod for the original soundtracks to .ogg with proper looping for THIS version. :)

Also, anyone have a fix for the sound fx volumes changing during gameplay?

Just to confirm, do you remember the game sounding like...

This? www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOU4h-3FXzQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOU4h-3FXzQ)

Or

This? www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hzH4XZii5E&feat... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hzH4XZii5E&feature=plcp)

arubino99
15th Aug 2012, 00:20
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOU4h-3FXzQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOU4h-3FXzQ)

For sure. I know I used this Soundfont for a while (www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hzH4XZii5E&feat... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hzH4XZii5E&feature=plcp)), until a friend told me to install the Yamaha drivers, even if I didn't have a Yamaha card. I remember I was a total doofus and completely uninstalled the game and reinstalled it (and deleted my saves!). But getting the better sound was worth it in the end.

1Clarity1
15th Aug 2012, 00:25
Here's a list of songs I compliled, the romanized Japanese names next to the official titles

Warning: The list is long and still needs to have a few corrections made

aseri - 107 Hurry!
aseri2 - 408 Hurry, Faster!
ayasi - 108 Lurking in the Darkness
barret - 106 Barret's Theme
bat - 110 Fighting
bee - 116 Honeybee Manor
bukojo - 205 Farm Boy
boo - 302 Life Stream
cannon - 412a The Mako Cannon Fires!
canyon - 301 Cosmo Canyon
cephiros - 305 Those Chosen by the Planet
chase - 122 Crazy Motorcycle
chu - 120 Still More Fighting
chu2 - 214 J-E-N-O-V-A
cinco - 208 Cinco De Chocobo
cintro - Shinra Mansion
comical - ???
condor - 210 Fortress of the Condor
corel - 218 Mining Town
corneo - 118 Don of the Slums
costa - 216 Costa del Sol
crlost - 314 Tango of Tears
crwin - 313 A Great Success
date - 316 Interrupted by Fireworks
dokubo - 114 Underneath the Rotting Pizza
dun2 - 209 Chasing the Black-caped Man
earis - 319 Aeris' Theme
earislo - 112 Flowers Blooming in the Church
elec - 207 Electric de Chocobo
fan2 - 111 Fanfare
fanfare - ????
fiddle - 312 Fiddle de Chocobo
fin - 417 World Crisis
geki - 315 Debut
gold1 - 219 Gold Saucer
guitar - 407 On ther Other side of the Mountain
gun - 401 Shinra Army Wages a Full-Scale Attack
hen - 323 Who Am I?
hiku - 403 The Highwind Takes to the Skies
horror - 213 Trail of Blood
iseki - 318 You Can Hear the Cry of the Planet
jukai - 317 Forested Temple
junon - 406 Off the Edge of Despair
jyro - 308 Steal the Tiny Bronco!
ketc - 220 Cait Sith's Theme
kita - 321 The Great Northern Cave
Kurai - 104 Anxious Heart
lb1 - 415 The Birth of a God
lb2 - 416 One Winged Angel
ld - 413 Judgement Day
makoro - 103 Mako Reactor
mati - 202 Ahead on Our Way
mekyu - 322 Reunion
mogu - Highwind Short Theme (WTF?)
mura1 - 405 Parochial Town
nointro - Those Chosen by the Planet (no intro version)
oa - 102 Opening
ob - 102 Bombing Mission (these will be separated)
odds - 311 Racing Chocobos - Place Your Bets!
over2 - 215 Continue
parade - 211 Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony
pj - 414 J-E-N-O-V-A Absolute
pre - 101 Prelude
red - 121 Red XIII's Theme
rhythm - 113 Turk's Theme
riku - 412b The Mako Cannon Fires!
ro - 410 The Countdown Begins
rocket - 115 Oppressed People
roll - 418 Staff Roll
rukei - 221 Sandy Badlands
sadbar - 217 Mark of the Traitor
sadsid - 409 Sending a Dream into the Universe
sea - 404 A Secret, Sleeping in the Sea
seto - 303 Great Warrior
si - 412d The Mako Cannon Fires!
sid2 - 307 Cid's Theme
sido - 212 It's Difficult to Stand on Both Feet, Isn't It
siera - 411 If You Open Your Heart...
sinra - 109 Shinra Corporation
sinralo - 119 Infiltrating Shinra Tower
snow - 320 Buried in the Snow
ta - 201 Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII
tb - 201 Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII (during Cloud's Flashback)
tender - 123 Holding My Thoughts in my Heart
tifa - 105 Tifa's Theme
tm - 204 On That Day, 5 Years Ago
utai - 209 Wutai
vincent - 306 The Nightmare's Beginning
walz - 206 Waltz de Chocobo
weapon - 402 Weapon Raid
yado - 203 Good Night
yufi - 304 Descendant of Shinobi
yufi2 - 310 Stolen Materia
yume - 117 Who Are You?

I replaced them all except "tb" during clouds flasback( I think that one will need custom editing) and the stand alone fanfare(which I'm pretty sure is used when you do the big finish to the gun salute for rufus' parade). That said they all seem to work just fine, but I'm not very far only just got aerith.

Quadocky
15th Aug 2012, 00:26

For sure. I know I used this Soundfont for a while (www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hzH4XZii5E&feat... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hzH4XZii5E&feature=plcp)), until a friend told me to install the Yamaha drivers, even if I didn't have a Yamaha card. I remember I was a total doofus and completely uninstalled the game and reinstalled it (and deleted my saves!). But getting the better sound was worth it in the end.

I would hope that all should soon learn the glory of the complete XG soundtrack. I just gotta figure out how to convert it and find out loop points. Considering there are like 98 tracks, it could take a while. Even at that, it would probably be violating copyright or something if I were to share the results. Would a recording (or rendering) of copyrighted MIDI data using (maybe) copyrighted sounds violate copyright if I were to share it?

arubino99
15th Aug 2012, 00:32
I would hope that all should soon learn the glory of the complete XG soundtrack. I just gotta figure out how to convert it and find out loop points. Considering there are like 98 tracks, it could take a while. Even at that, it would probably be violating copyright or something if I were to share the results. Would a recording (or rendering) of copyrighted MIDI data using (maybe) copyrighted sounds violate copyright if I were to share it?

I doubt it, since the intent isn't to sell, only to replace files of the same tracks on your PC. Many of the mod makers bundle the soundtracks with their packages as well.

I actually located a link to a compressed OST file, that I *think* has already been processed to .ogg format. If I'm correct, I'll just need to copy/pasta over the .ogg's in the re-release and have a decent track.

I just need to work out that wonky sound fx issue now. :(

Quadocky
15th Aug 2012, 00:39

I doubt it, since the intent isn't to sell, only to replace files of the same tracks on your PC. Many of the mod makers bundle the soundtracks with their packages as well.

I actually located a link to a compressed OST file, that I *think* has already been processed to .ogg format. If I'm correct, I'll just need to copy/pasta over the .ogg's in the re-release and have a decent track.

I just need to work out that wonky sound fx issue now. :(

Hope you fix that sound issue, I don't seem to be having it. In fact, I had no trouble at all with this game.

If the OST files you have found are the XG version let me know, saves me a bunch of work if someone already has converted the music.

Then again I would probably do it anyway and make my own terrible frankenstien version of the Final Boss Music using the recorded choir from that special custom soundfont and then matching it up to the non-choir verison of the XG soundtrack.

EDIT: oh geez, I just realized you may not be able to aquire that special custom soundfont. It was hosted on a Geocites website but those are long gone. I wonder if the author knows about this...

arubino99
15th Aug 2012, 00:43
Yup, looks to be all the .ogg files with looping.

Here's the link: www.gamefront.com/files/service/thankyou... (http://www.gamefront.com/files/service/thankyou?id=22128993)

*note: I have not tested this yet.

Quadocky
15th Aug 2012, 00:45

Here's the link: www.gamefront.com/files/service/thankyou... (http://www.gamefront.com/files/service/thankyou?id=22128993)

I will give it a shot. Hopefully squaresoft will not take offense to that link...

arubino99
15th Aug 2012, 00:47
Hope you fix that sound issue, I don't seem to be having it. In fact, I had no trouble at all with this game.

I'm going to try and set my PC up for mono-out. I'm not sure it's entirely possible, but I remember that resolving the positional audio in the original PC release. I think in the original you could do it in the options within the game (or the configurator), but that seems to be removed from this version.

It's done this on literally 5 different computers with varying hardware (the odd sound fx volume changing thing). I tested 3 with the original, and 2 with the re-release. Frustrating!

arubino99
15th Aug 2012, 00:48
I will give it a shot. Hopefully squaresoft will not take offense to that link...

Well if they do... you already have the file! Mission accomplished? ;)

Quadocky
15th Aug 2012, 00:53

I'm going to try and set my PC up for mono-out. I'm not sure it's entirely possible, but I remember that resolving the positional audio in the original PC release. I think in the original you could do it in the options within the game (or the configurator), but that seems to be removed from this version.

It's done this on literally 5 different computers with varying hardware (the odd sound fx volume changing thing). I tested 3 with the original, and 2 with the re-release. Frustrating!

That is really weird. I am using a XI-FI Creative soundcard in 5.1 mode and everything is hunky dory. The only time I ever get weird volume changes is when I attempt to play something with DTS 5.1 audio like a DVD movie. I actually never had a problem with sound in the old PC version either. Huh, that is very strange.

I mean, the game is just stereo sound through Direct X or whatever. Its very odd that it would mess up like that.

arubino99
15th Aug 2012, 01:01
That is really weird. I am using a XI-FI Creative soundcard in 5.1 mode and everything is hunky dory. The only time I ever get weird volume changes is when I attempt to play something with DTS 5.1 audio like a DVD movie. I actually never had a problem with sound in the old PC version either. Huh, that is very strange.

I mean, the game is just stereo sound through Direct X or whatever. Its very odd that it would mess up like that.
I'm just using integrated sound. One's a Realtek driver, the other is a Turtle Beach I believe. I have a third PC I tested with hooked up to my TV using Nvidia drivers via HDMI.

All have that same issue with sound effects. For instance, going into the Character Menu may produce the "ding" sound at acceptable levels (same throughout), but then I exit, move my character a bit, re-enter the Character Menu, and suddenly it's blaring; "DING" "DING".

Same thing happens in battles, except the volume will change mid-battle, depending on camera angle. For instance, Cloud will slash, and you'll hear the sword attack noise clearly. Then suddenly the camera angle rotates, and his next slash is barely audiable.

Oh, I confirmed those .ogg files are the original PSX tracks. Do you have the XG ones? :D

Quadocky
15th Aug 2012, 01:12

I'm just using integrated sound. One's a Realtek driver, the other is a Turtle Beach I believe. I have a third PC I tested with hooked up to my TV using Nvidia drivers via HDMI.

All have that same issue with sound effects. For instance, going into the Character Menu may produce the "ding" sound at acceptable levels (same throughout), but then I exit, move my character a bit, re-enter the Character Menu, and suddenly it's blaring; "DING" "DING".

Same thing happens in battles, except the volume will change mid-battle, depending on camera angle. For instance, Cloud will slash, and you'll hear the sword attack noise clearly. Then suddenly the camera angle rotates, and his next slash is barely audiable.

Oh, I confirmed those .ogg files are the original PSX tracks. Do you have the XG ones? :D

Wow, that is a very strange sound problem. I would say its the fault of the built in sound, but that would be a cop out.

And sadly I do not have the OGG version of the XG soundtrack... yet anyway. I am trying to figure out the best way to record then convert the XG music. I may have one trick I could employ which would save me a lot of time, however I still do not know how to add loop points so that leaves another problem. The thing I wish to do is convert the XG soundtrack using a XP computer with the old S-YXG50 driver AND player. In the player I can directly convert the MIDI to wav format. Its quite nifty. However I do not know just how well it will work. As in, I do not know of the conversion is perfect or not.

It will take a bit of experimenting to get it completed but I intend to do so as long as no one else is currently doing so.

Though, I will admit it may take me some time to complete it.

member_10532399
15th Aug 2012, 01:13

so what do you do once you download the file in the link? Where do you put it?

Quadocky
15th Aug 2012, 01:17

so what do you do once you download the file in the link? Where do you put it?

Given that it is probably a bunch of OGG files you would most likely have to put them in the Music_ogg folder in the Final Fantasy 7 Data folder.

Example being: C:\Program Files\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII\data\music_ogg

I think it would be a good idea to back up any files you intend on replacing. Or just back up the entire installation of FF7.

arubino99
15th Aug 2012, 01:19
For the file, there's a readme.txt included that tells you how to install.

As Quadocky states, a backup of the original OGG files would be in order. :)

member_10002363
15th Aug 2012, 01:20
Thanks for the list Brandt. I am happy I had the OST sitting on my shelves still and your list helped me quickly convert everything over. I even brought out my copies of Distant Worlds (I & II) to snag some orchestral versions of the 'big' tunes in the game.

member_10532399
15th Aug 2012, 01:23

ok i will try that right now and let you guys know.

MonkeyJamboree
15th Aug 2012, 01:24

Wow, that is a very strange sound problem. I would say its the fault of the built in sound, but that would be a cop out.

And sadly I do not have the OGG version of the XG soundtrack... yet anyway. I am trying to figure out the best way to record then convert the XG music. I may have one trick I could employ which would save me a lot of time, however I still do not know how to add loop points so that leaves another problem. The thing I wish to do is convert the XG soundtrack using a XP computer with the old S-YXG50 driver AND player. In the player I can directly convert the MIDI to wav format. Its quite nifty. However I do not know just how well it will work. As in, I do not know of the conversion is perfect or not.

It will take a bit of experimenting to get it completed but I intend to do so as long as no one else is currently doing so.

I have to say that I, for one, would be ETERNALLY grateful for your work, if you end up getting it to sound as fantastic as the XG soundtrack! I just re-purchased this (despite having it on ps3 digitally and ps1 disc) because I had a fondness for the PC version from the demo I had played. Now that I am seeing all the issues that the... uh... 'wonderful' people who re-released it left in the game, I am severely saddened. However, I hold out for hope that people will make high res mods at some point (hopefully) and that the community will pick up the slack where S-E decided to not bother.

Again, thank you! Please keep me up to date (if possible) if/when you complete your work. I don't know how often I will actually check these forums...

the_randomizer
15th Aug 2012, 01:34
Thanks for the list Brandt. I am happy I had the OST sitting on my shelves still and your list helped me quickly convert everything over. I even brought out my copies of Distant Worlds (I & II) to snag some orchestral versions of the 'big' tunes in the game.

No problem! The swapped files work like a charm (though I'll need to redo the Opening Mission track)! By the way, is there a way to speed up the ATB bar or text speed? It seems kinda funky to me.

arubino99
15th Aug 2012, 01:37
No problem! The swapped files work like a charm (though I'll need to redo the Opening Mission track)! By the way, is there a way to speed up the ATB bar or text speed? It seems kinda funky to me.

You should be able to speed them up under Game Options.

the_randomizer
15th Aug 2012, 01:38

You should be able to speed them up under Game Options.

That's just it, they're at their maximum setting and they seem a little more sluggish than usual. Maybe it's just me. But I do like how smooth the 3D models are this time, and the fonts/windows are much crisper!

Quadocky
15th Aug 2012, 01:41

I have to say that I, for one, would be ETERNALLY grateful for your work, if you end up getting it to sound as fantastic as the XG soundtrack! I just re-purchased this (despite having it on ps3 digitally and ps1 disc) because I had a fondness for the PC version from the demo I had played. Now that I am seeing all the issues that the... uh... 'wonderful' people who re-released it left in the game, I am severely saddened. However, I hold out for hope that people will make high res mods at some point (hopefully) and that the community will pick up the slack where S-E decided to not bother.

Again, thank you! Please keep me up to date (if possible) if/when you complete your work. I don't know how often I will actually check these forums...

Its always nice to hear common interest in this. I will endevor to figure out a way to keep people informed but I cannot make any real distinct promises as I don't even know how long this will take. I am (mostly) sure I can do this, its just the whole loop point thing seems to be throwing me for... a loop at the moment.

If what I want to do works, it will just be a matter of trying to loop the songs properly. Though with College Classes coming up it may cut into my time to experiment.

I have all I need to get started, I plan on delving into it tomorrow as its currently very late.

arubino99
15th Aug 2012, 01:44
Its always nice to hear common interest in this. I will endevor to figure out a way to keep people informed but I cannot make any real distinct promises as I don't even know how long this will take. I am (mostly) sure I can do this, its just the whole loop point thing seems to be throwing me for... a loop at the moment.

If what I want to do works, it will just be a matter of trying to loop the songs properly. Though with College Classes coming up it may cut into my time to experiment.

I have all I need to get started, I plan on delving into it tomorrow as its currently very late.

I might be able to save you some trouble. I still have the original game, an XP box, and what appears to be a Yamaha compatible card. Would the game output the .ogg files in the data directory if I installed it w/the drivers? Then it would just be a simple copy/paste job again! :D

Quadocky
15th Aug 2012, 02:03

I might be able to save you some trouble. I still have the original game, an XP box, and what appears to be a Yamaha compatible card. Would the game output the .ogg files in the data directory if I installed it w/the drivers? Then it would just be a simple copy/paste job again! :D

Actually, I do not think you would be able to. (Or if thats the way I am reading this.)

MIDI data is just text (basically). The original game used MIDI data and played it through a software Synth (or soundbank, or soundcard, or hardware sound modules). The MIDI data, being a written score of music, and the SoftSynth/Sound Module being the band/orchetstra that makes the sounds according to what is written in the MIDI data.

It was a way of saving on space in a time when having a 100-500MB hard-drive was the norm. Even the original Playstation version used a MIDI soundtrack, it just played through the Playstation's sound chip which had the ability to use soundbanks.

What I am trying to accomplish is recording the playback of the MIDI data. Specifically the XG MIDI data playing through the Yamaha softsynth. OR figure out a way to directly covert the sequence of sounds into a wav file using the MIDI player that comes with the S-YXG50 software. THEN converting them into compressed OGG files.

This newer Re-Release obviously does not have the capability to read MIDI files as it is seems it was modified to use OGG Files (Which is a compressed sound file like MP3 except without all the royalty payments.) Also I tried putting a MIDI file instead of an OGG file. Obviously did not work. Think I am going to try a snippit from the Last Remnant Soundtrack for fun though.

As it stands I have all the MIDI data I need, I just got to get all the necessary stuff installed on my XP machine to start converting it into a more tangible format.

EDIT: Just comfirming that the music needs loop points otherwise it will just fade out into obscurity.

lyk13
15th Aug 2012, 03:05
I remember using some sort of Yamaha player on my pc way back when the PC version is still popular...but couldn't remember how it sounded like.

I played the current OGG files on VLC, codec information mentioned Startpoint/Endpoint.

Will keep tabs on this thread as I've basically forgotten how the best FF7 music sounded like for the PC. :D

the_randomizer
15th Aug 2012, 03:06
It would be great if someone could archive them. The battle theme doesn't need them as it seems fine, others, I haven't tested yet, but it will be a real PITA to do....*Sigh*

member_10219055
15th Aug 2012, 04:38
I just stated playing and after finishing my first battle, I heard that terrible midi theme.

Ugh, why wouldn't they update it?

member_10532399
15th Aug 2012, 04:52

ok i will try that right now and let you guys know.

that thing WORKS!!!

Awesome dude, thanks. I am ready to play this game completely now!!

the_randomizer
15th Aug 2012, 09:51
I found out where the loop information is located (just use VLC Player and right click for information on the file). I assume one would use Audacity to complete it.

Quadocky
15th Aug 2012, 10:01
I just stated playing and after finishing my first battle, I heard that terrible midi theme.

Ugh, why wouldn't they update it?

Its still a mystery. Mostly because they could have just as easily done a recording of the XG MIDI soundtrack, but obviously they did not.

What this re-release currently has is a recorded version of the GM MIDI soundtrack ran through some sort of Roland Sound Canvas/Sound Module. (at least that is what it sounds like to me)

Even stranger is that they could have just used the already made, Recorded Playstation version.

I don't know exactly what they were thinking. If they were striving for an experience that was JUST like the original PC version they would have used the XG soundtrack as that is the one that everyone loved the most.

Quadocky
15th Aug 2012, 10:03
I found out where the loop information is located (just use VLC Player and right click for information on the file). I assume one would use Audacity to complete it.

Oh wow thanks, I could use that data to replicate the loops. Hopefully it will match up properly, otherwise I will have to do it manually.

the_randomizer
15th Aug 2012, 10:13

Oh wow thanks, I could use that data to replicate the loops. Hopefully it will match up properly, otherwise I will have to do it manually.

The question now is how do you tell a program to loop a song from point A to point B?

Quadocky
15th Aug 2012, 11:20

The question now is how do you tell a program to loop a song from point A to point B?

I may have answered in another thread but I know you can use a program like Audacity to set up loop points. There is a guide out there somewhere that could show you how I think. I personally have not done it before but I have used Audacity for recording.

gijoesamo
15th Aug 2012, 12:32
Here this will fix your sound problems

www.gamefront.com/files/22128993/FF7+Fix... (http://www.gamefront.com/files/22128993/FF7+Fixed+Music.rar)

Just download and place all files into your C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII\data\music_ogg folder.

hypnotoad2k
15th Aug 2012, 12:43

www.gamefront.com/files/22128993/FF7+Fix... (http://www.gamefront.com/files/22128993/FF7+Fixed+Music.rar)

Just download and place all files into your C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII\data\music_ogg folder.

I hope square enix is paying attention to what is happening here. There is no excuse for this.

gijoesamo
15th Aug 2012, 12:43
I was replying to alot of posts but I figured screw it heres the fix to change it from midi to playstation like sounds<a href="http://www.gamefront.com/files/22128993/FF7+Fixed+Music.rar">

www.gamefront.com/files/22128993/FF7+Fix... (http://www.gamefront.com/files/22128993/FF7+Fixed+Music.rar)</a>

Matheny
15th Aug 2012, 12:45
forums.qhimm.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=367... (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=3672e3c41e2fb12fe9620b81ed39ccb9&topic=12787.0)

Take a look at this thread, there might be a better fix coming from here.

weezerguy
15th Aug 2012, 12:48
Do these files Loop?

sawyerm
15th Aug 2012, 13:07
Does anyone have the earlier mentioned sound font? There is a driver for modern Windows versions that can load XG sound fonts, which would allow someone to convert the improved tracks. See here: www.mudlord.info/bassmididrv/ (http://www.mudlord.info/bassmididrv/)

gijoesamo
15th Aug 2012, 13:46
yes

in the readme it says

"PC RERELEASE MUSIC FIX BY BLOODSHOT

Extract to your data/music_ogg folder

CREDITS GO TO DLPB FOR THE LOOPING OGGS"

member_10525333
15th Aug 2012, 14:04
really how are they not going to put in any upgrades to the game lol...

EpicShuriken-265190
15th Aug 2012, 14:06
battle music at the scorpion boss doesn't loop

molsonmuscle360
15th Aug 2012, 14:50

Every time i try extracting it I get an error saying the files don't exist...any idea around that? I've redownloaded it like 4 times.

crono1973
15th Aug 2012, 15:25
Make sure you backup your original music files, some music doesn't loop properly.

gijoesamo
15th Aug 2012, 15:36
post which ones that dont so we can just start plucking away at the ones that do and dont

member_10808654
15th Aug 2012, 16:30
Thank you for the link, the game just isn't the same with this Midi soundtrack....the boss battle music made me want to cry when i first heard it as Midi..lol

Cgi15
15th Aug 2012, 16:38
There are a few mistakes in these patched files.

For example, in the fixed music, Chu2 and Comical are both Jenova's Theme. In the files that come with PC version, Chu 2 is Jenova's theme while Comical is some upbeat relaxing music that I don't really recognize yet.

Also, in the patch Oa and Ob are the same file, while in the PC version, one is extended bombing mission and the other one is shorter.

The patch also contains duplicate OWA themes, lb2 and lb2_awe.

The patch is missing a file mogu which in the pc version is a short highwind theme.

rocket in the patch is missing a 2 second intro that the pc version has.

These are the only major differences I have seen. If anyone could inform the guy who made the patch that would be great because I do not know how to contact, and also if anyone has other stuff to add to this list, please do so.

josh007cl
15th Aug 2012, 17:09
The oog's (FF7 Fixed Music) work but there are looping issues are many songs. The songs will just end and there is silence. This could either be an issue with the new game or with the tracks.

EpicShuriken-265190
15th Aug 2012, 17:17
This could either be an issue with the new game or with the tracks.

It's the tracks, they don't have loop starters in them.

the_randomizer
15th Aug 2012, 17:38
Oh, good, glad to see such quick release for this! And to think I was going to go have to go through all music files and change the number of samples using Audacity!

the_randomizer
15th Aug 2012, 17:40
This could either be an issue with the new game or with the tracks.

It's the tracks, they don't have loop starters in them.

Great, now what are we supposed to do about that?!

member_10525333
15th Aug 2012, 18:14
maybe Square will make updates to music and such eventually, seeing as how you have to have an internet connection to play

the_randomizer
15th Aug 2012, 18:44
maybe Square will make updates to music and such eventually, seeing as how you have to have an internet connection to play

I stand corrected, the tracks I've listened to so far sound looped, the others I haven't heard yet.

josh007cl
15th Aug 2012, 18:51
I checked some of them. For example the first track (oa.oog / ob.oog) have no LOOPSTART in their codec and someone has to go in and put a loop.

digitoxin
15th Aug 2012, 18:56
Does anyone have the earlier mentioned sound font? There is a driver for modern Windows versions that can load XG sound fonts, which would allow someone to convert the improved tracks. See here: www.mudlord.info/bassmididrv/ (http://www.mudlord.info/bassmididrv/)

I'm currently working on sampling the original XG MIDI's using a Yamaha MU-80 and creating a set of .oggs with proper loop points. If all goes well, I should be done in a few days. What I've done so far sounds great and the process I'm using for looping is far superior to what Square-Enix has done with the .oggs that come with the game. In most cases, you would never be able to tell that the audio has looped.

t1gerdog-242977
15th Aug 2012, 20:23
There are a few mistakes in these patched files.

For example, in the fixed music, Chu2 and Comical are both Jenova's Theme. In the files that come with PC version, Chu 2 is Jenova's theme while Comical is some upbeat relaxing music that I don't really recognize yet.

Also, in the patch Oa and Ob are the same file, while in the PC version, one is extended bombing mission and the other one is shorter.

The patch also contains duplicate OWA themes, lb2 and lb2_awe.

The patch is missing a file mogu which in the pc version is a short highwind theme.

rocket in the patch is missing a 2 second intro that the pc version has.

These are the only major differences I have seen. If anyone could inform the guy who made the patch that would be great because I do not know how to contact, and also if anyone has other stuff to add to this list, please do so.

Good catch man, thanks! I just fixed the ones you pointed out on my install.

Ginnas
15th Aug 2012, 21:31
File not found.

lawlshark
15th Aug 2012, 21:38
File not found, alternate link?

member_10202274
15th Aug 2012, 21:54
Ack...Mirror :(

gijoesamo
15th Aug 2012, 22:20
I have the .rar its 222mb is there anyone I could send it to that could host it or somewhere I can put it back up on so others can use it still??

arubino99
15th Aug 2012, 23:34
I'm currently working on sampling the original XG MIDI's using a Yamaha MU-80 and creating a set of .oggs with proper loop points. If all goes well, I should be done in a few days. What I've done so far sounds great and the process I'm using for looping is far superior to what Square-Enix has done with the .oggs that come with the game. In most cases, you would never be able to tell that the audio has looped.
Awesome!

BTW, I have the OST .ogg files with loops if you desire those. It's easy to implement (download the file + extract) in the re-release.

Let me know if you need these files. It seems the gamefront link was taken down as I posted earlier in this thread. :(

the_randomizer
15th Aug 2012, 23:50
Mediafire would work just fine, but you might have to split it into two files.

the_randomizer
15th Aug 2012, 23:55
Awesome!

BTW, I have the OST .ogg files with loops if you desire those. It's easy to implement (download the file + extract) in the re-release.

Let me know if you need these files. It seems the gamefront link was taken down as I posted earlier in this thread. :(

Who was the punk that removed it and why? I still have the .rar file, too, but do you plan on uploading it to something like mediafire

How do you loop .ogg files?

lyk13
16th Aug 2012, 01:04
Hey guys, I think this is a fix to the earlier link:

www.gamefront.com/files/22135087/Fixed+F... (http://www.gamefront.com/files/22135087/Fixed+FF7+Fixed+Music+v2.zip)

But the oa.ogg and ob.ogg still seems wrong. Same track.

Edit: I found it in this thread: www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48... (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481177&page=40) Couldn't reply as my account is still being moderated after creation.

Conure-253287
16th Aug 2012, 06:31
Please can somebody rehost this? The music is terrible!

the_randomizer
16th Aug 2012, 10:02
Please can somebody rehost this? The music is terrible!

www.gamefront.com/files/22135087/Fixed+F... (http://www.gamefront.com/files/22135087/Fixed+FF7+Fixed+Music+v2.zip)

qasteroid-279946
16th Aug 2012, 13:07
thanks!

you think they might just update the sound incrementally via the software update at all?

the_randomizer
16th Aug 2012, 17:33
thanks!

you think they might just update the sound incrementally via the software update at all?

No problem! I can see them updating the soundtrack via game patching.

osgZach
24th Aug 2012, 11:20
I was -almost- excited after seeing OGG files during the installation but what a fail on their part.
Yes, we no longer have to put up with crappy PC Midi files, but while the music scores appear to be unaltered, the instruments are still something straight out of MIDI-land.

Why could you have not just used the OST tracks? People who love the music of this game love it because of the way it sounded in its original format on the Playstation. There's a reason the PSF patch exists, you know... In fact, Square-Enix could have just USED the PSF patch and saved us all some disk space too..

Hopefully someone will correct this travesty and release some OGG replacements using the OST tracks :(

BobbyMartin-320079
24th Aug 2012, 11:22
Only one of a number of disappointments fans are facing with this re-release. Expectations, I'm sure, were similar to OST soundtracks, upscaling of videos, slightly updated character models, upscaled textures, etc. Looks as if fans will be turning to fan-made mods to fix or update what we paid for again.

osgZach
24th Aug 2012, 12:06
I've done some preleminary research and I think there is hope.

The OST tracks loop twice, but comparing Barrets theme, they should end around the same point with a quick fade-out. The PC game tracks have a few seconds of silence added on. But my OST's are of course in FLAC, so I could probably dump to WAV, and then do some cutting, add a fade, and possibly replace the OGG files.

The question of course, is whether or not the game verifies file integrity and runs checksums against the audio files or not, every launch, and how to get around that if it turns out to be the case.

Migue333-211787
24th Aug 2012, 12:31
You can save yourself some trouble since it's been done already.

forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.0 (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.0)

osgZach
24th Aug 2012, 18:47
Thanks I will check that out

Biggie862005
24th Aug 2012, 20:33
Maybe I just dont remember because it has been so long since I have played the playstation version, but I honestly dont notice a difference. Cant help but notice so many of these music threads though. Is there some kind of comparison video or something that someone could link?

Quadocky
25th Aug 2012, 09:58
Also if you are interested, here is the MU80 Conversion of the XG MIDI data done by Raymond. (I am currently mirroring it on Rapidshare, all the songs are fully looped by the way...)

na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235... (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29324501/Yamaha_XG_Replacement_Music_now_available!?pg=7)

It sounds like an improved version of what the S-YXG70 would have sounded like. Its basically the reason why people proclaimed that Final Fantasy 7: Now for the PC! had the best soundtrack of them all.

Aparently it also mixes and matches well with the PSX soundtrack so its worth a listen.

The reason why Square Enix re-released this PC port with such a so-so soundtrack was the same reason Sega released Golden Axe 3 on PC WITHOUT 2 player mode.

osgZach
25th Aug 2012, 15:17
Interesting links, now that I've looked into them. Thanks for posting them, guys.

But I have to admit, I still prefer the original OST as it was from the PSX version of the game. Nothing else sounds "correct" to my ears :(

And I'd rather invest my time converting my OST flac's to looped OGG's once I figure out the process (my google-fu sucks), instead of messing with PSF patches, or any other music patches, or hacks/mods, etc that have to modify stuff and use other peoples own interpretations of the OST.

I have saved the S-YXG70 renders for listening music in any case, and also another "Remaster" from Final FanTim, that uses more orchestral instruments because they are indeed nice and something different to listen to. But I just can't play the game with them.

edit: Seems its done with Audacity pretty easily. So I guess I'll give that a go and see how it works out.

dhughes2010
24th Oct 2012, 22:24
My issue is these midi files are crap. The original soundtrack sounded great and was exciting and resonated with a lot of the fans and they give us this? I mean really?

Ive seen a few ideas for how to replace the soundtrack but my question is does anyone have a good way to do it? Or does anyone have a complete archive of the original PSX .OGG files so I can have a decent soundtrack?

member_10290294
25th Oct 2012, 02:59
There are really 2 problems here: What you want is a better soundtrack to the PC version of FF7 (2012). What you ask for is the original soundtrack from the PSX version. I'm not saying the two are mutually exclusive, I'm just saying that the two are separate questions with separate answers.

Getting a better soundtrack on FF7 PC:

Since the '98 version, there have been attempts to fix the weak music of FF7 PC. Fixes include things such as replacing and/or activating the correct midi soundfonts for the music, patches, and using external utilities to run the music, etc. Sadly, it seems some (many?) don't work with the 2012 version. There's a thread here (/go/thread/view/139235/29317931/Sound_fix_for_ff7_here)with some replacements (working link on the second page). This may be what you're looking for - Don't have the 2012 release yet so I can try it out.

If you need to have/convert the original files or whatever:

I make no claims as to the legality of extracting the audio files from the PSX version of the game, etc. but these files have been around for like 10+years so you're probably fine.

If you want to find the original soundtrack from the playstation version, it would likely be ripped to .PSF rather than .OGG for one reason or another. It works so I never really looked too far into it.

So, what good is a bunch of .PSF files? Not much to most people, because most things don't play them, but they're pretty simple to convert. A PSF plug-in is free and there's one for Winamp (also free) which includes an export module. Install winamp and the plugin, add all the tracks to the playlist in Winamp, turn on the export module, let it do its thing and you've got every sound file from the original game on Playstation in a different format. Do what you will with that. I have tested this and it works.

ffsf.aaron-kelley.net/download_7.html (http://ffsf.aaron-kelley.net/download_7.html) has a link to one of the above mentioned fix methods for the '98 FF7 PC, including the PSF files and the winamp plugin.

There are also various alternative soundtracks for FF7 PC out there that you may enjoy. /you might want to look into these.

Hopefully this helps if only some.

Jonnothin
4th Nov 2012, 08:37
It would appear that some options for replacing music are having legal issues (such as being shut down because of copyright infringement). I would have to say that I am also unsatisfied with the music. It's junk to put it quite simply. It sounds like someone got a cheap keyboard with cheap sounds and remade all the music. Why remake the music if it's going to be worse than the original? They have an option for original graphics why not music too?

WisemanWong
5th Nov 2012, 11:35
Ok, I haven't read a whole lot about this recent release except for the multitude of download and DRM issues that people have had that don't seem to be resolved much at all at this point. This has steered me away from purchasing the re-release for the most part since if S-E can't and/or won't handle these issue in a timely manner in this day in age, it shows a severe lack of dedication to fans, to FFVII itself and to themselves in terms of maximizing sales/profits, supporting the game and supporting the FF series.

But now on top of that, what it looks like I'm seeing in this thread is that they used the HORRIBLE midi soundtrack from the original PC release - is this correct? /tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-surprised.gif I thought I had read that they updated the re-release with the soundtrack from the PS1 version, which was great and I don't see how it would be that big of a task to do so. Like I said, I haven't really paid much attention to the specifics of the game aside from "lots of problems downloading the game after purchase" and "lots of DRM issues mostly revolving around being connected to the internet but the game not booting properly/frequent crashes and/or cloud save file corruption/deletion".

So just to be clear, I'll ask clearly - does the recent re-release FFVII PC download use the midi soundtrack that was used for the original PC disc based release of FFVII back in 1998? If so, then that definitely seals the deal that I won't be purchasing this because I am not going to go through the hassle of trying to find and integrate a compatible proper soundtrack mod that may or may not be legal, especially with all the DRM issues. /tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-undecided.gif

osgZach
6th Nov 2012, 08:15
It uses an enhanced version of the original MIDI soundtrack that was realeased with the original PC version.

Instead of relying on midi files and having consumers use special software to play them with higher quality samples, they rendered the music themselves as OGG files.

But on the flip side, the good news is that OGG files can easily be swapped out. Someone did release an OGG pack with the original PSX music (I have it), I think it was called "Anxious Heart" or something like that. Although there seem to be a few problems here and there with it, but I don't know if those problems also exist for the original OGG's that come with the game.

The big thing I noticed was during the Lifestream sequence when Cloud discovers who he is/that he was never at Nibleheim as a member of Soldier, and "kills" Sephiroth, the music is not properly synced up to the scene, and it appears to use a section of the World Theme music instead of having its own file to play during that scene (which is why its probably out of sync).. Unfortunately that means when the scene reaches its peak you are actually listening to an overworld theme, because the music finishes the "peak" section earlier in the scene than it should, and continues on with the rest of the World Music file.

Grimpeh-673665
17th Dec 2012, 11:20
I've been searching Google like mad for the past 2 hours but still can't find anything to replace these crappy MIDIs with. I want the original PSX soundtrack. Can anyone help me please?

Thank you!

Square2
26th Dec 2012, 05:06
Yes, I must admit, much of the nostalgia from this game comes from the excellent soundtrack. The midi's in comparison, quite honestly, ruin the entire experience. I think most people who played this game don't want to play through it again without it.

My choices for playing this game, in 2012, are either playing with botched outdated graphics, or playing with a botched soundtrack.

I'm sincerely requesting that whoever has the authority can give us the option to download and use the original, console soundtrack with the updated PC version.

I'd also like to make note that the launcher will read my controller inputs and settings, but there is absolutely nowhere in the launcher or in-game settings to switch from keyboard to controller.

Whoever it is reading this, I want to convey how much I enjoy the updated graphics, and want to replay this game. As someone who grew up with FF7 on PSX, the difference in the soundtrack really just does not work for me. Getting the launcher to work was kind of a pain, it didn't feel like it was very well put together to be honest. Please, in order for me to truly recommend this product, these problems need to be addressed. I know a lot of people who would be willing to buy this if these issues were fixed. As it stands, the product page doesn't mention that the soundtrack is MIDI, and no matter where I look there's nothing to make the game actually read my controller input.

Thank you for reading this, I do hope you share my concerns, I will definitely promote this product with utmost energy and passion if I can soon play it with the soundtrack that I'm used to, and also, properly with a controller.

dickymoon
22nd Jan 2013, 05:25
It seems like since you guys at Square Enix have had enough time to re-res all the graphics that you would have some sort of option on the setting to set the sound to the original soundtrack. I know there isn't much of a difference but if you are like me and playing it for the history of it and all, you notice it. Does anyone know if there is some sort of mod for the game that can be downloaded ? I am speaking of the PC v1.0.6 too...

wiktord.jan
22nd Jan 2013, 15:27
yea and they'll help you ;p i had a problem that the game, which i paid SE for, didn't work properly on my computer, I e-mailed them, and they didn't even answer. So that's it. Yup, S-E it is. NOT Squaresoft.....times are changing, companies too, lol. I really miss the good ol' square.

What encourages me, is that people are not stupid and the see what;s happening here ;p I can myself name you like a dozen of ex-square fans who will never give them a HALF DOLLAR again :P No way not anymore....

Grimoire
24th Jan 2013, 06:37
na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235... (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29318209/Final_Fantasy_VII_Yamaha-XG_Replacement_Music_Sampling_Project)

dickymoon
30th Jan 2013, 03:54
GRIMOIRE do you have those files, the links on that thread are dead. Anyway you would be willing to upload them to a source ?

Grimoire
30th Jan 2013, 06:23
Hmm...well, maybe I have, I don't really remember anymore (there is so much old stuff still lying around from my rebellious era). ^_^'

However, I believe a quick Google search might do the trick. Can't really go and break the forum rules myself nowadays, now can I (says he who in spite of having purchased both the original release and the newer ones (PSN & PC) prefers playing the original PS release on an emulator)?

destruction7
13th Feb 2013, 08:23
Final fantasy 7 Favorite song of the Soundtrack

alexis9000
29th Apr 2013, 08:29
File not found.....again.

robbobert
7th May 2013, 18:46
Ah well, looks like my post/music fix link got deleted. In the interest of not getting banned, I won't repost it again. All I'll do is say it's a shame, because the music included with the game now is physically difficult to listen to. Best analogy I can come up with is a right-handed animator trying to draw with their left hand. You get the idea of what it's supposed to be, but good lord is it ugly. And given that half the game is spent running/flying/driving around while listening to the music, it breaks my heart that SE is forcing these sloppy, muddled midi tracks on customers and not allowing the customers to help each other experience the game as it originally was (and should still be). So, sorry guys.

What was the rationale for not including the original music with the pc re-release anyways? Anyone know? I mean, it took me less than 8 hours to fix the music for myself. Why couldn't SE do this too?

Laraul
19th May 2013, 08:58
What was the rationale for not including the original music with the pc re-release anyways? Anyone know? I mean, it took me less than 8 hours to fix the music for myself. Why couldn't SE do this too?

The PC version was always an after thought. They never even released it in Japan until two days ago. It even includes an instant "Maximum Stats" option that instantly sets every stat to it's max. Take a look at www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao1S-fFVzG4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao1S-fFVzG4) and you'll see at the end. You probably can't undo it either. It's a quick fix for people who've played before and want to rush thru it as fast as possible. It even allows you to run the game at 2x normal. I've never played the international version, but it probably includes these too. The internation version of the games are the North American release with a few more tweaks intended for people who've played it once already.

LowKeeee
17th Jun 2013, 22:26
I have tried every single download for an original soundtrack patch I could find, and most of them are either 404'd, non-existent, or a re-remake or something. Before someone says go search the forums, I already have. All I want is my original FF7 music back, can someone please provide an up to date patch that is actually available for download, because every link I have tried (Anxious Heart, gamefront files, and other mods) are not available at all.

Thank you.

xeveniah
18th Jun 2013, 00:52
Conor try installing the latest chipset videocard and soundcard drivers are the most recent versions for your os / pc x64 aka 64bit drivers are hard or if your pc is prebuilt go to the mfgrs site and redownload them.. in rl Im a Mission Critical systems engineer... thats the best i can do till patch comes out i have both the boxeds triangle edition and digital download editions im lookingforward to ff8 hd remake and better drm for the download edition they both function perfect ff7 retail and download editions

LowKeeee
18th Jun 2013, 12:06
This does not help me at all. I don't need drivers for my soundcard, it's perfectly fine. I just need an up to date version of a FF7 music patch so I can at least get some feeling of nostalgia when I play my favorite game again.

MCMXCIX
21st Jun 2013, 17:40
I don't know what the quality is like since I'm currently downloading it, but there's a torrent at The Pirate Bay that has the game and the music combined. Just search "Final Fantasy VII 2012 Remake (with original HQ PSX music)"

Edit: I checked the quality, and the songs I tested sound much better than the one in the retail release, although they're not as good as the remastered ones.

jacknite3000
28th Jun 2013, 21:02
After i released my latets music piece, in my latest video, Tiffa's Theme my friend suggested that post it here to share it will all of you. I've been working on perfecting this music piece which i believe i have done beautifully. I included an array of clips to help give meaning to who tifa was, and enhance the emotional feature of the music. And her relationship with cloud. This is from the game Final Fantasy 7, Clips used from the movie ff7 advent children. The music i made on my KBpiano 2 software

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qE_JIjCvktg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

the_randomizer
5th Jul 2013, 21:25
Why oh why couldn't they use the original, non-defiled soundtrack in the Steam rerelease? Back in 1998, I can understand as emulating the PSF format was tricky, but in 2013, that's clearly unacceptable. Many people on Steam (including myself) are dissatisifed with the music. The OST is a tribute to Uematsu's masterful music, but the remade version...just doesn't cut it. Can anyone field this question on why the very creators, could not implement the original soundtrack or at least give people a choice between the new and the old one? The fact the commercial uses the original as part of the ad is a real kick to the teeth.

Rest assured, I'm glad the game is finally on Steam, something that should have happened a long time ago, and I'm grateful to relive nostaligc memories of the game, but please, can anyone elaborate as to why they couldn't simply give people two options for the original and new music?

mouthofxenu
5th Jul 2013, 22:07
I agree. When I purchased FFVII on Steam, I did so to relive the experience of playing this game on the Playstation. FFVII's soundtrack is one of the most recognizable RPG themes of all time. It would be a shame to deny new players the original experience of those long nights in a dark room grinding away to save the Planet as Nobuo Uematsu's music carried you away. Final Fantasy VII is a game that deserves to be preserved in its original form for future generations and the original soundtrack is integral to that experience.

It would not be hard to add in an option to use the game's original music, just like the Steam version already lets you revert the graphics to their original form. As it stands, I cannot yet recommend this game to anyone else. But if this is corrected, I will not only encourage others to play but buy this game as a gift for my best friend.

WisemanWong-350185
6th Jul 2013, 09:22
It's funny you mention that because I watched the trailer on Steam the other day for the sole purpose of hoping they played some music from the game to see if they had actually replaced the garbage original PC soundtrack with the real original soundtrack. Since it played the original battle theme, I assumed they actually had used the original soundtrack from the PSX version and was excited but decided I would hold off on buying it until hearing about it up here and glad I did now. I swear, between them being too lazy to do that, which like you said should be incredibly simple code-wise and should be compatible with nearly all modern PC sound hardware and the fact that they're not giving people who bought the game from the SquareEnix website Steam keys at this point, I'm certainly not going to support them on this release.

While I didn't purchase a copy from their website because I refuse to support them just throwing out garbage and then showing no support for the loyal fans that hand them money expecting to at least get a little bit of service from them, I still feel strongly that they need to give Steam keys to those who have put up with that garbage product and zero support for however long it's been out now. Being a loyal customer myself, having invested a ton of money into Square, Enix and SquareEnix games over the past 20+ years spanning well outside the realm of FF, I can certainly sympathize with those people. Sorry, I know that's a bit off topic but just can't help feeling bad for the people getting screwed on that one.

the_randomizer
6th Jul 2013, 13:11
So, since we all know that there isn't a snowball's chance in hell of them ever fixing the soundtrack, I went ahead and installed the official OST in lieu of the crappy "remastered" music they placed in the game by downloading a music mod, because I don't care. It's pathetic!

chicosato
6th Jul 2013, 19:18
Hi, I know there are a lot of remixes out there but I hope mines adds to the variety of them all. Enjoy.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VLXuKdnDPgE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Grimoire
30th Sep 2013, 10:48
Final Fantasy VII

Music update (http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/final-fantasy-vii-music-%E2%80%93-now-updated)! – We've now released an update for the PC release of the game that includes an audio upgrade.

comeonmorenames
6th Oct 2013, 00:31
Please make it so that you can choose the OST or the remastered version; similar to the way we can choose the original graphics or new graphics

KuraudoSutoraifuu
6th Oct 2013, 00:54
Indeed give us options square enix!