PDA

View Full Version : A Patch for TRLE

Polar_Andromeda
7th Dec 2002, 17:22
This patch fixes slow loading times on Windows XP. To download the patch, {link removed}

;)

TheMask
7th Dec 2002, 20:08
Excuse me, but first of all, this patch is not related to TRLE in any way! Secondly, this patch does nothing ! There's an executable file tomb4.exe in the ZIP which is exact copy of the original tomb4.exe shipped with TR Chronicles = 790 528 bytes . Besides, if the person who made it available as an unofficial patch wanted to modify it , then it's illegal !

Luc [TRO]
7th Dec 2002, 20:49
I tried this patch and it's not the same exe that delivered with the original TRLE . If the size is the same , severals bytes are modified ... (compared that with winHex 10.5)

the author of the patch say :

tomb4 had 2 threads sitting and spinning (!) on fixed memory addresses. A third thread was responsible for allocating sound buffers, and because of the other two threads, was taking a *long* time (I have a fast machine, and level load times were approximately 1-3 minutes).
The fix: I have patched the executable to make it do a little sleeping while its spinning, and lo and behold the levels now load nearly instantaneously. :-)

This patch is working for TRLE (level editor) , i tested it on: not only on a few number of xp machines but also win9x machines the loading is now 1 or 2 sec ...before more than 1 minute on xp machines

Eidos say that he should not make any patch for the games that are very slow to load on xp systems , if a programmer make it
that's a very good job , illegal or not , i will use this patch !

If a simple programmer can do that ; Eidos can also provide xp patches for the tr4 tr5 and TRLE games ???

This programmer will sure provide the same patches for tr4 and tr5 ...

Thanks to him !

ObsessiveAttitude
7th Dec 2002, 20:50
TheMask is totally right. If you've been a member since July 2002 shouldn't you know that it's illegal to modify the exe file?

TrueRaider
7th Dec 2002, 20:58
Wel aren't you lot hostile? Well it works for me, it used to take about 70 seconds to load a level, with this patch it takes about 4 seconds! I don't know if its modified or not or illegal, but it does wonders for a lot of XP users!

Luc [TRO]
7th Dec 2002, 20:59
@obsessive attitude

may be Illegal ...but it's wonderfull i can play my prefered levels on xp !

but Eidos should rather correct its bugs programming and provide a patch for xp/2000 for the games that have problem to load ...

eTux
7th Dec 2002, 21:01
But this patch isn't made by Polar_Andromeda (just mentioning so this member wouldn't have to suffer from anything just because of this)

And it really depends from "which way" you look at the patch, but I wont even start this...

ObsessiveAttitude
7th Dec 2002, 21:05
@ TrueRaider- ya, now that i re-read my post it does sound a bit hostile doesnt it! sorry i didnt mean to come across like that

@ Luc- it would be good if Eidos released a patch or a revised Editor, or even if they made it legal to modify the exe

Im just trying to keep people out of trouble

TrueRaider
7th Dec 2002, 21:12
Originally posted by ObsessiveAttitude
@ TrueRaider- ya, now that i re-read my post it does sound a bit hostile doesnt it! sorry i didnt mean to come across like that

lol no problem

I don't know whether to put it on my site for download or not yet, it's just that its so increadibly...well...brilliant!! Personally I don't see a problem, ok it might be illegal but who's gonna care? It's not like its been edited hugely or any money being made etc. But it's so useful!!

Mgardiner
7th Dec 2002, 21:19
The dude who made the patch is just trying to make your TRLE experience better...give him a break jeez...its not like Eidos is going to send there army of lawyers after him cause he made the game load in a few seconds apose to 1-3 minutes :mad:

GeckoKid
7th Dec 2002, 21:23
same here! it really works :D took only 1-2 second to load a level and this should help increasing the playability for VERY VERY difficult levels!

TheMask
7th Dec 2002, 22:19
Well, I didn't mean to offend anyone there too. Besides, do you think that the fact Eidos or Core doesn't let the TRLE community modify the executable makes me happy? No, it doesn't! Just wanted to keep that guy out of trouble. Of course, this patch is very useful if it really works but it's not me who said you can't modify the EXE. Anyways, it is only useful for the game itself, not the Level Editor, so the title should have been "A patch for TR4 for XP users" or something like that.

Polar_Andromeda
7th Dec 2002, 22:59
According to my source, "It is legal because it is fixing the software." And that's the end of it.

Polar_Andromeda
7th Dec 2002, 23:01
Originally posted by TheMask
Well, I didn't mean to offend anyone there too. Besides, do you think that the fact Eidos or Core doesn't let the TRLE community modify the executable makes me happy? No, it doesn't! Just wanted to keep that guy out of trouble. Of course, this patch is very useful if it really works but it's not me who said you can't modify the EXE. Anyways, it is only useful for the game itself, not the Level Editor, so the title should have been "A patch for TR4 for XP users" or something like that.

You can't read or something? I did say win xp in my post, and the patch is for the le.

Chronicles5
7th Dec 2002, 23:28
As far as I was told, this patch has no effect on Windows 2000/ME or lower, or macs, it is for Windows XP to increase loading times (by alot) for the tomb4.exe. As Polar Andromeda said, according to my sources, fixing the program is perfectly legal.

However, this was from "my sources" who happens to be Lil' Kid and I'm not sure who told him that or if it is true or not.

I haven't tried the patch yet, but I'm sure it works as others have liked it.

I also asked questions about the legalities, how it works, stuff like that, but Lil Kid answered without hesitation, so I'm pretty sure this is legal.

Also, it is not doing something like modifying parts of the game, it's only making it run faster, which on my book is perfectly alright, and helpful too.

I'm just posting down what I know, and I'm going to try the patch in a minute...

TheMask
7th Dec 2002, 23:52
Originally posted by Polar_Andromeda
You can't read or something? I did say win xp in my post, and the patch is for the le.
I said in the title ;) :p
And tomb4.exe is useless for TRLE itself so it's not for TRLE can't you get it?

TrueRaider
7th Dec 2002, 23:55
tomb4.exe is for BOTH TR4 AND the TRLE, so of course its for the TRLE!

Luc [TRO]
8th Dec 2002, 00:03
@Chronicles5

I tested the patch on a few machines 98 /Me , the loading wasn't slow : 5sec before and after < than 2 sec with the patch.

On a w2K machines : the loading was 15/20 sec and < than 2 sec with the patch.

on a xp machine : loading more than 1 or 2 minute and < than 2 sec with the patch.

the patch corrects errors programming in tomb4.exe and the effect is :

it accelerate the loading on all OS, especially on 2K and xp !
the loading of all levels on my P4 2400 is < 1 sec !

There is well a small bug in the patch ,it don't accept any french scripts .

i think (may be false ) there is well an american version of the TRLE exe that isn't the same as european ...may be , it don't support extended caracters

can somebody here send to me an "american" version of the TRLE tomb4.exe to see ,please ?

(webmaster@tro-online.com)

thks !

TheMask
8th Dec 2002, 00:04
I'm out of this debate

Polar_Andromeda
8th Dec 2002, 00:09
Well, tomb4.exe is the executable name for both TR4 and the TRLE.

Luc [TRO]
8th Dec 2002, 00:16
@polar andromeda

we are only talking about the tomb4.exe coming from the level editor for now ...

but i think it's possible to make the same modifications in the tomb4.exe of the game TRLR (the core of the exe is the same for many things ) to also speed up the loading

CyCro
8th Dec 2002, 00:40
I can only say that I am sorry I didn't have this patch before. It would have saved me a lot of headaches. Works just perfectly, without the compatibility mode. And it looks like the savegame files are compatible with it!

Thanks so much, Romie!!!

[edit] I think Eidos should hire third party programmers to make patches, if they have no time for that themselves. :p

Luc [TRO]
8th Dec 2002, 02:04
@cycro

I think Eidos should hire third party programmers to make patches, if they have no time for that themselves

very good reflexion, i have the same advice !

Guichi
8th Dec 2002, 20:38
Oh dear, this has gotten out of hand. The truth is that regardless of it fixing errors or whatnot its not legal to distribute the executable. program bugs to not justify distributing copyrighted material without the authors consent. A simple patcher would solver all of this once and for all. If the author of the modified executable would like to post what was changed in the original then i can cook up a quick patcher for everyone and it will be completely legal to put up anywhere. :)

btw this is my first post but ive been lurking for a loooooon time. :p

Polar_Andromeda
8th Dec 2002, 21:44
Then you might as well say that to tombraiderchronicles.com b/c they distribute their own patches and no one's getting on their case.

TenChen
9th Dec 2002, 00:08
I just Installed XP so im happy to get this patch :)

As for the Legality Issues , If you would all read the Licence Agreement you'll notice that modifying the exe isnt the only rule we have broken , as for policing what we can and cant post regarding these rules (not to mention curing forum headaces)

LEAVE IT TO MODERATORS !

Driber
9th Dec 2002, 00:15
Until I hear from Eidos or Core that modifying the exe file is legal, all links like this will continue to be deleted.

The best way to make this patch legal is to present it to someone at Eidos or Core-Design.

Rules are rules, no matter what the benifits are. period.