PDA

View Full Version : Shape of the Thief three box, no more pyramids?

Mr. Perfect
4th Dec 2002, 01:49
I was looking at my Thief boxes the other day, and I realized something. You know how all the new game boxes are those little paperback-book sized boxes? Well I don't think you can make a pyramid out of one one of those and get the CD to fit in, so it makes you wonder what Thief 3 will come in.

And yes, I did have to make a poll out of it. ;)

ChangelingJane
5th Dec 2002, 20:58
It's about time they got rid of all that needless packaging. The console games industry has been doing it that way for forever.

Peter_Smith
6th Dec 2002, 03:20
I agree, provided it results in a reduction in price. But it won't, will it? It'll just mean more profit, which is not a bad thing if you want Thief to survive..... Nevertheless, I would like to see four nice trapezoidal (not pyramidal) boxes lined up on my shelf.:)

theBlackman
6th Dec 2002, 03:31
Originally posted by Peter Smith
I agree, provided it results in a reduction in price. But it won't, will it? It'll just mean more profit, which is not a bad thing if you want Thief to survive..... Nevertheless, I would like to see four nice trapezoidal (not pyramidal) boxes lined up on my shelf.:)

Picky. Picky. Picky. LOL

ChangelingJane
6th Dec 2002, 17:54
If there is any extra profit to be made by a reduction in packaging, it won't be made by the developers. It will be made by the publisher, or the company (if there is a separate one) that manufactures and prints the boxes. I think the difference-- considering how prices are when ordering in bulk--is negligible anyways.

I know what you said was probably just an offhand remark anyways, but I went and got analytical anyways ^_~

Bat-mite
6th Dec 2002, 21:40
It just wouldn't be a real Thief game if it didn't come in the trapezoidal box.

Even FMs should come in a trapezoidal box....
;)

littlek
16th Dec 2002, 19:14
I hope they keep the box a triangle - made it easy to find it in the stores.

I truly hope they start releasing T1, TGold and T2. Seems kinda silly to release T3 and keep newbies to Thief from playing the originals. If the originals return to the shelves, I hope they release Thief Gold and not only T1 if given the choice.

RedLegg
17th Dec 2002, 07:16
Originally posted by littlek
I hope they keep the box a triangle - made it easy to find it in the stores.

I truly hope they start releasing T1, TGold and T2. Seems kinda silly to release T3 and keep newbies to Thief from playing the originals. If the originals return to the shelves, I hope they release Thief Gold and not only T1 if given the choice.

Actually, we have re-released T1 and T2 in a combo pack. I didn't see it on our store, but I have seen the packaged product. Check with your local retailer.

Cheers,

BrokenArts
17th Dec 2002, 15:17
Hey, I like things that match. :p

littlek
18th Dec 2002, 15:15
Originally posted by RedLegg
Actually, we have re-released T1 and T2 in a combo pack. I didn't see it on our store, but I have seen the packaged product. Check with your local retailer.

Cheers,

Any plans for TGold?

Bat-mite
3rd Jan 2003, 16:33
It is now at the Eidos store. Too bad it's not TG, but at least a whole new generation of fans can come of it!

TRoosevelt_26
6th Jan 2003, 18:41
Trapezoidal! I, too, want four oblong boxes blessing my cubicle at school with Thief-y greatness. :D

newk007
9th Jan 2003, 11:01
Does Eidos have anything to do with the making of Thief III? If they don't then you'll probably find that the box will be NORMAL, as opposed to the "trend-setting" trapezoidal box. It's an Eidos thing... only they do it. I've seen a Soul Reaver box of that same shape. So HOPEFULLY the box designers will forget what the other Thief boxes look like, because I like rectangles!!!

ChangelingJane
11th Jan 2003, 14:37
Me too, newk007. I like the new small boxes especially much more than any of the boxes computer games used to come in. For one thing, I actually have space to keep them now!

TRoosevelt_26
12th Jan 2003, 01:15
From all I've heard, I am under that impression that it will be Eidos that will put out Thief III.

Huntress
13th Feb 2004, 22:42
Well I know it's the growing trend to make those dinky lilttle boxes and the store owners like them as it saves shelf space, and less costly for the publisher, etc. But my preference is to have the original box shape (providing I buy it)? Ta and Good Hunting!

thegrommit
14th Feb 2004, 04:05
Originally posted by ChangelingJane
It's about time they got rid of all that needless packaging. The console games industry has been doing it that way for forever.

Agreed. Even with the current smaller boxes, my pile of games is getting out of hand (relatively speaking).

Tenkahubu
18th Feb 2004, 09:29
Just so long as it doesnt have any stupid sounding slogans or terrible artwork on the front I wont mind what the shape of the damn thing is. Ideally it would be a sphere though, that would give the shelf-stackers something to do with their time.

coldplay_josh_106
19th Feb 2004, 23:11
The last slogon on the thief 2 box was "the greatest thief the world has never seen" i thought that was really catchy. can oyu think of any better slogans for thief 3?

Kerghan
19th Feb 2004, 23:21
I could really care less how the box looks, and my guess is that the PC version will be a small rectangular box like just about every other PC game these days. I mean, come on guys! Its just a box, doesn't affect the game in any way :D

The last slogon on the thief 2 box was "the greatest thief the world has never seen" i thought that was really catchy. can oyu think of any better slogans for thief 3?
Sure, I can think of one:

Thief: Deadly Shadows
A sequel to a GAME OF THE YEAR!

Tenkahubu
20th Feb 2004, 00:15
Kerghan - That was brilliantly cynical, I really laughed out loud!

Kerghan
20th Feb 2004, 06:50
Glad you found it to be humorous :D

Rommel_1891
1st Mar 2004, 04:39
I'm one for tradition... Give me the over-sized trapezoid!! :D

triniphen
2nd Mar 2004, 01:54
nooooo... we need a goddam Dodecahedron box stuffed with LED's to blink in a beckoning fashion. and it should be at least a foot around, so my cat can sleep in it.

oooh oooh oooh it should be a "treasure chest" manufactured with the same, dam near impossible plastic packaging everything seems to come in these days. heh i imagine many a frantic ripping and clawing....

DreamEndless
2nd Mar 2004, 12:24
I've gotta ask: What the hell are you guys on about??! Trapezoid boxes? Huh:confused: I am guessing this is a USA thing. In the UK we either get those damned great cardboard boxes or the DVD plastic cases. What do you guys get?

Mr. Perfect
2nd Mar 2004, 14:14
It's like the big old cardbaord boxes, except it was angled so that the top was about half as wide as the bottum. Ended up looking like a pyramid with the top chopped off.

BTW, anyone noticed the origonal posting date of this thread?;)

grafixmonkey
2nd Mar 2004, 19:14
I was kind of hoping the box would be a Mobius Strip, or a "Two-Pronged Trident" shape. :(

Can we have one shaped like Janet Jackson, with a little fold-out flap in just the right place, for screenshots? :D

Eridyn
15th Mar 2004, 00:14
"Actually, we have re-released T1 and T2 in a combo pack. I didn't see it on our store, but I have seen the packaged product. Check with your local retailer."

I discovered Thief by playing a demo which came on a disk a relative gave me for Christmas many years ago. It wasn't until (relatively) recently that I recalled the game... Roughly 10 months ago I was quite bored and began going through old game discs. Lo and behold, I found the Thief demo again. Purchased the combo pack the same week.

grafixmonkey
15th Mar 2004, 06:07
It's nice to run into old school games for the first time isn't it? I put Thief 2 back onto my PC recently, first time on my new graphics card, and it was a whole new deal - for the first time it ran perfectly, silky smooth, and looked awesome at 1152x864 with 4xS Antialiasing turned on. I tried reinstalling Alice too, to see if it ran with AA - it looked even better than Thief 2. Too bad, I can't turn AA on for any of my new games, grafix card can't handle it.

calthaer
18th Mar 2004, 05:43
I saw Thief Gold re-released just like the Thief 1 + 2 combo pack. I picked up 2 copies for $10 each; have already traded one of them for a $30 game - hehe.

A few years back the entire game industry decided on a standard box size for PC games that everybody would use, largely so that you could fit more titles on the shelves and there'd be more room for everybody's products. Because of that, I highly doubt that we'll be seeing a trapezoidal box. That Thief 1 + 2 combo pack as well as the re-releases of Thief Gold and Thief 2 were all in the new standard size - not in any other type of box. Deus Ex: Invisible War was also in this same, standard-sized box.

grafixmonkey
18th Mar 2004, 18:53
I for one am glad that everybody is opting for boxes that have less packaging. Number one, it's bad for the environment to have so much excess for no reason but to have bigger pictures on the store shelf. Number two, it was downright depressing to open a big cool lookin' box and just see a single jewel case and a registration card strapped to one side of a big empty space.

ChowYunFat
21st Mar 2004, 03:55
I agree with you grafixmonkey--those big boxes are depressing especially because they always seem to emphasize the absence of a decent manual!!

But I'd still love to see a properly shaped Thief box for T3. Most game boxes have a flap on the front that lifts up so you can see more information about the game. If T3 has to be in the standard-size box, maybe they can make this flap in the shape of the old boxes, just for old time's sake.

grafixmonkey
21st Mar 2004, 06:25
Personally I'd much rather that companies went the more environmentally conscious route, and eliminated the excess packaging.

I suppose though, at least old boxes were made of relatively degradable material - the box for Deus Ex 2 is a cardboard sheath around a plastic DVD-style box.

I don't use game jewel cases or boxes after I get them. All software goes into a CaseLogic binder to keep it all together.

coldplay_josh_106
13th Apr 2004, 13:39
its just a bloody box, id be more worried about how the game is gunna turn out!

we didnt get those style boxes in da UK anywayz, not that it matters.

Mr. Perfect
18th Jun 2004, 22:41
This thread was started over a year ago, but every time someone votes it gets bumped back up to page 1. Let it die already.:p