PDA

View Full Version : HD Partitioning

Optik45
3rd Dec 2002, 03:13
Dammit Im pissed. Im trying to delete my Extended Dos partition but it says "cannot delete Ext Dos partition while logical drives exist"

So I try to delete the logical drives and it says "No logical drives defined" "All Logical Drives deleted in the Extended DOS Partition"

All I want is one primary partition using 100% usage

Any clues?

bravus
3rd Dec 2002, 03:19
It might be worth trying a 'fdisk /mbr' to repair the master boot record, before trying the sort the partitions. Are you using a commercial software package or fdisk?

Bravus

theBlackman
3rd Dec 2002, 03:50
Ok: So FORMAT WHAT YOU HAVE. If you have an extended partition try to format it. If that does not work use fdisk from a cold boot WITH A FLOPPY.

If you don't have a floppy, then use windows ADD/Delete programs and create one.

Then cold boot from the disc and use FDISK.

You cannot do it in windows. You need to be in DOS and running from a seperate floppy or hard drive.

Optik45
3rd Dec 2002, 04:02
ok I found my problem. My ext dos partition is used for Linux. So I believe I need to use Linux's Fdisk to delete this. Ive been playing around with it for a while but cant figure it out. Anyone know?

These are the Partitions I see in Disk Druid:

/dev/hda1
/dev/hda4 --> /dev/hda5

theBlackman
3rd Dec 2002, 04:10
PM to Leatherman. He is a LINUX guru.

LeatherMan
3rd Dec 2002, 04:41
Originally posted by theBlackman
PM to Leatherman. He is a LINUX guru. Oh no, not a guru. User yes, guru no. :rolleyes:

DOS and Windows 9x (Glorified DOS?) or NT/2K/XP cannot see Linux partitions and that may be your problem. You can use a Linux partitioning program to convert the Linux (ext2/3) partition to a DOS (FAT16/32) partition. You should then be able to delete it with FDisk.

Komag
3rd Dec 2002, 08:06
I find it funny that it's called "fdisk", as in "F#*% the F@$&#$ disc"!

:D :p

Stile451
3rd Dec 2002, 22:49
Are you sure, LM?

In Fdisk there is an option of deleting non-dos partitions(fdisk>3>4).

Fafhrd
3rd Dec 2002, 23:21
for some reason it doesn't seem to work correctly. I don't remember what I did (or did to correct it) but I screwed up something when I tried to install slackware the first time and had to play with the partitions. windows/dos fdisk does NOT like linux partitions in certain instances, but sometimes it deals fine.

LeatherMan
4th Dec 2002, 02:13
Originally posted by Salvage
Are you sure, LM?

In Fdisk there is an option of deleting non-dos partitions(fdisk>3>4). There may be a few filesystems that fdisk can delete but Linux can use dozens, and fdisk doesn't have that level of compatibility.

The problem is that his Extended partition says there is one or more Logical drives, but fdisk cannot read the label(s) since they don't have DOS labels. Therefore, it cannot delete the Logical drive(s) that aren't there (even though they are) and is confused since the Extended partition says there is. (Confused yet?)

Have a look at this page (http://fdisk.radified.com/delete_partitions.htm) at Radified.com (http://radified.com/index2.html) with info and links to programs to delete Linux partitions that fdisk cannot. There is a ton of partitioning information/strategies at this site.