PDA

View Full Version : Help neede with my Custom Enemy I built

Mushroom
30th Nov 2002, 08:15
G'day Mates',

I have completed my enemy apart from the animation part, (which I am dreading) but have struck a few problems.

I made it in meta and rescaled and textured and saved it, but I cant load it in my wad without it crashing :( Also in Wadmerger some of the meshes arent in their correct position, but I think once he is animated it will be allright??:confused:

Any way here is a table with the vertices and faces for each mesh
http://flightsimmers.net/va/mrbeer/Table.gif

I not sure if The vertice limit applys to the whole enemy or for each individual mesh. As you can see if it applys to the whole constructed enemy Then I'm up a certain creek without a paddle.

Btw here is a peek at what I am trying to make, I think i still need to make it a bit smaller :D

In wadmerger
http://flightsimmers.net/va/mrbeer/Bot2.gif

In Meta
http://flightsimmers.net/va/mrbeer/Bot1.gif

Any Ideas or is this Baddie Just to much??

Cheers In advance
Shroom

David 070
30th Nov 2002, 08:39
if you want to take a very easy route, replace the machine gun turret with your mesh, it wont move toward Lara but it will shoot and look sort of like a futuristic robot..

cant help you with designing your own enemy though, i dont have a clue on this either but im going to figure it out!

later..

and good luck!!

TRWad
30th Nov 2002, 17:34
Originally posted by Mushroom
I not sure if The vertice limit applys to the whole enemy or for each individual mesh. As you can see if it applys to the whole constructed enemy Then I'm up a certain creek without a paddle.

The limit is for a single mesh. You can have 255 vertices in a mesh, but I don't know if there is a limit for the whole object.

Btw here is a peek at what I am trying to make, I think i still need to make it a bit smaller :D

Yeah, it's a bit large. It's larger then the wadmerger grid, which is 5x5 blocks!

MountainDewNut
30th Nov 2002, 19:56
:eek: I think that it may have a few to many polygons. Try reducing them a bit and maybe it'll work. Make sure that you make backups if nesesary. Usually you can reduce the meshes without deforming the object too much.

Mushroom
30th Nov 2002, 23:53
Thx guys I will give it a go, Back to Meta I go ;).

I will definatly resize it aswell, Cant have The King Kong of Robots running around my level LOL

Cheers
Shroom

psiko
1st Dec 2002, 01:56
what a VERY VERY beautiful enemy! :o
Really nice!

Well, ok, I think you went over the limits for the amount of polygons. I won't go over 1000 polygons in total, but better not over 500.

Think about this: complex meshes can be a little bit improved since the original ones: for example if the original bust (pectoral and addominals) is about 60, it is good to not go over 80 or 90 100 is really dangerous but still can be done. 300 won't surely work, 200 will give you many problems, probably you will have soon to sacrifice many PRJ rooms into your level.

if feet are about 10, don't go over 30, 20 is the best.

Simply keep in mind this: if coredesign could have done, they would have done. Now we "could" add a little bit more of detail simply because we don't have any problem at all to sell our products (so they don't need to work on every machine) but we still have SOFTWARE limits, not "hardware"...

So, stay around the 20/30/40% polygons of more than the original mesh to be "quite sure". But I stillI won't suggest to go over the 170 polygons for a single mesh even if 255 are possible. Engine gets really unstable.

Those amount of polygons for the feet are "too much"... sadly, because this enemy is REALLY fine.. I actually love it..

find a compatible solution with this limited engine :)

Mushroom
1st Dec 2002, 05:56
Thanx Psiko,

I tried to limit the number of vertices, but still have had no luck :(
I really like the look of the Mechwarrior too, I think I may have to put him on the shelf untill I can Figure out a sollution.

Hehe Maybe I should just make a normal Shaped Enemey for my 1st attempt and wait untill I get better before trying this one again.

Cheers again
Shroom