PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of Final Fantasy before playing Kingdom Hearts?

Roxas1985
7th Feb 2013, 01:30
Hey guys,

I was just wondering, how many of you never even heard of Final Fantasy before you started playing Kingdom Hearts for the first time?

Before Kingdom Hearts, or even a few years after I've started playing the games, I never heard of Final Fantasy, so I never knew that it was a crossover of Disney characters and Final Fantasy being connected through Sora.

I was introduced to Kingdom Hearts by my youngest cousin back in 2003, a year after it was released. I saw him playing it and I was instantly drawn to it, because I've always loved action-adventures games where you get to fight while exploring worlds/cities.

It wasn't long after that that I bought the game and played it, and I loved every last moment of it! And then I bought Kingdom Hearts 2, but I was confused because I never knew that there was a game before this one, that's where my frustation of the games being put on handhelds started, because I never own a Game Boy and therefore I couldn't get the full story until they came out with RE:Chain of Memories. once I've played that, I was like "Oh, now Kingdom Hearts 2 makes sense!"

I remember watching the intro of Kingdom Hearts 2 and to me, it was like Sora suddenly turned into this black-and-white clothed kid who kinda look like Sora but not quite. I spent the rest of the intro, watching Roxas fall through the water, wondering who he was. "Is this Sora's son? Or is it his brother?" I could not figure it out until Yen Sid explained the concept of Nobodies to Sora, Donald and Goofy.

Anyway, getting off topic here. I was introduced to the game by my cousin nearly 10 years ago, and before that, I've never heard of Final Fantasy, so I thought these (Leon and the others) were just characters made for the Kingdom Hearts series.

I never found out until I started reading the characters' profile in Kingdom Hearts 2, and I noticed that most human characters has "Final Fantasy" on them. Even now, I know nothing about Final Fantasy, but I love Kingdom Hearts!

All I know about Final Fantasy is that it is another series of games Square Enix makes.

edward.busch.18
7th Feb 2013, 08:21
yeah final fantasy went huge with the release of Number 7 with Cloud and Sephiroth and Tifa.... Although the most I like about 7 was certain details of Tifa and Sephiroth being the baddest bad guy EVER! i Perfered final fantasy 9..... I cant find 8 anywhere but to be honest the only reason i looked was cuz Leon from Kingdom hearts was in it....!

moooka
7th Feb 2013, 08:32
Maybe many young gamers don't know much about it, can't blame them as the series went downhill in terms of quality in the past 10 years or so. It used to be like the king of RPGs. In fact, I bought the first Kingdom Hearts because of the Final Fantasy characters.

edward.busch.18
7th Feb 2013, 08:35
how many people held off trying Kingdom hearts cuz of Mickey Mouse?

sunup
7th Feb 2013, 15:08
A friend of mine got me into FF7, played that religiously until there was nothing left in-game to do. If I didnt get hooked on FF7 i may have never bought kingdom hearts. Once I found out that squaresoft/square-enix was attached and that sealed it for me, I knew the game was going to be good.

Went from FF7 to FF9 - Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2. (NA ps2 console)

Zidane42
8th Feb 2013, 15:46
I was another one who bought Kingdom Hearts because of Final Fantasy. I am older I guess, I started playing Final Fantasy on SNES, both FFII and FFIII. By the time Kingdom Hearts was about to be released I was very intrigued by a game that mixed Final Fantasy with Disney characters because I had never thought of something like that before. Therefore I immediately bought the first Kingdom Hearts as soon as it came out and loved it immediately. I have continued to play Kingdom Hearts ever since and really hope that Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD remix comes out in North America.

edward.busch.18
8th Feb 2013, 18:44
Final fantasy was the king of RPG's for the longest time with NO challangers.....so square said ENOUGH! im gonna challange MYSELF!!!!

WhitePrism
8th Feb 2013, 19:31
That's a tough question like asking what came first: the chicken or the egg for me. I have a bad memory. I can remember first final fantasy game I played was one of the ones for GameBoy. Then after that I went onto the main series with Dawn of Souls for GameBoy Advance and did all the ones until VI. However, whether or not I played Kingdom Hearts before or after Final Fantasy I forget. I'd have to say I like Kingdom Hearts better though with the Disney characters and if you miss out on something you can come back later and get it. With Final Fantasy, it can be more violent and if you forget to get that one thing that was in that certain castle that just got blown up, tough luck, lol. ( I'm not kidding, there was one event where that actually happened, think it was Final Fantasy V lol.) But yeah, regardless of which I got to know first, I love them both for certain things.

member_10660568
8th Feb 2013, 21:22
Seriously? Final Fantasy was out for more than a decade before Kingdom Hearts was even thought of! That's four generations of consoles! I invested hundreds of hours in the Final Fantasy series before I even heard of Kingdom Hearts!

The short answer, of course, is that yes, I had heard of Final Fantasy before playing Kingdom Hearts. This is a ridiculous question.

I have one for you all. Is anyone here older than 12? :O

edward.busch.18
8th Feb 2013, 21:29
Seriously? Final Fantasy was out for more than a decade before Kingdom Hearts was even thought of! That's four generations of consoles! I invested hundreds of hours in the Final Fantasy series before I even heard of Kingdom Hearts!

The short answer, of course, is that yes, I had heard of Final Fantasy before playing Kingdom Hearts. This is a ridiculous question.

yes im 29 lol ...19 when KH came out....which is why i was agaisnt mickey at first....

MichaelVoid
8th Feb 2013, 21:53
I have been blessed to find it. I was taking a walk in my Goddy's neighborhood about 4-6 years ago and I found this game on the ground called Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. I thought that this would be an interesting game. I couldn't stop playing once I started but I never beat the game. I got back to the United States and found out later that there was a Kingdom Hearts 2. "What the Hell?" I thought to myself. I didn't think it was possible, considering I didn't know anything about Kingdom Hearts at the time. I'm happy that I found it but I'm sad for the kid that lost it. Now I'm 114 and addicted to Kingdom Hearts. I started playing Final Fantasy 3 years ago and me and my friend are addicted to it too, Dissidia is my first one

member_10247755
9th Feb 2013, 09:24
I grew up playing the Final Fantasy series. I started with the original on NES. I missed FF3 (or 6, as its now numbered), and completely fell in love with 7! I've beat the game several times, but never beat ruby or emerald weapons. I'm playing through the PC version now so I can finally accomplish everything. Admittedly, the series is lacking in recent years. It went down hill ever since the Square Soft merged with Enix. I think it's poor management who lack the vision of the original creators.

Anyway, In regards to KH, I originally picked it up just because of the FF characters. It's a pretty sweet series. I'm really hoping that, after Disney acquired the Star Wars franchise, we might see some force powers show up in future KH games.

edward.busch.18
9th Feb 2013, 20:38
they may not include star wars until they make thier own movie.... actually the first Final fantasy for the playstation i played was #9 followed by #7 but before those two i believe i played final fantasy 4 but i forgot about it becuase all my friends pushed me to play mario...ya know kids and peer pressure

MichaelVoid
11th Feb 2013, 15:54
they may not include star wars until they make thier own movie.... actually the first Final fantasy for the playstation i played was #9 followed by #7 but before those two i believe i played final fantasy 4 but i forgot about it becuase all my friends pushed me to play mario...ya know kids and peer pressure

Stupid Mario Peer presure. So addictive now-a-days.

new_tradition
14th Feb 2013, 19:49
I first got interested in Kingdom hearts because I was told there were Final Fantasy characters in it, lol. So yeah, I knew about FF well before I knew about KH xD

WhitePrism
16th Feb 2013, 20:34

23, wish I was younger then 12, lol. Miss being that young, bullies I didn't like, but it was okay compared to now. Idk, it took me a while before ever playing a Final Fantasy game, so Kingdom Hearts had time to catch up lol.

MichaelVoid
17th Feb 2013, 14:39

member_10162287
3rd Mar 2013, 01:23

No need to get offensive. I was not a gamer so naturally knew nothing about games. I saw KH commercial and thought it looked interesting because I liked Disney animations. I mention it to my sister who WAS a gamer, and although she wasn't a Disney fan she bought a used copy for me and lent me her PS2 to play it. I was hooked in ten minutes. I think I played the original KH at least five times before asking my sister for other recommendations and got my own PS2. So yeah, I'd never heard of Final Fantasy before I played Kingdom Hearts. BTW, I was in college when I played Kingdom Hearts.

member_10235475
3rd Mar 2013, 07:07
I remember when I first heard about Kingdom Hearts coming out and hearing it was a Disney/Final Fantasy crossover.

I've known about Final Fantasy since the NES days when I played the first one. Didn't get into the series that much until FFVII, though, on the PS1.