PDA

View Full Version : You just lost a customer for Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

whiting1289
18th Sep 2018, 10:40
https://imgur.com/r4D3Zpi

I own both of the other Tomb Raider games and have finished both of them, they are my favourite games, but you just lost me as a customer after you perma banned me from the Shadow of the Tomb Raider forums for simply talking about Lara's new character model. I was going to buy it, but not anymore after I found out it was a Developer that permanently banned me from the Shadow of the Tomb Raider forums for nothing. Hell, I was the one being attacked, being called a virgin, an incel, disgusting and a misogynist because I dared criticize a game character model. Way to go you guys. :scratch:

I think I was mass reported, as I said everyone was calling me a virgin, an incel, disgusting and a misogynist. The fact that I criticized Lara's new character model seemed to really, REALLY pee off a lot of people. It was as if I was criticizing the body of real women, but I wasn't, I was criticizing a game character. That's what actually makes me angry, the fact I was the one under attack, yet I was the one perma banned. Like let's perma ban the victim instead of the mob that is attacking him.

EDIT: Just letting everyone know I am still here and still looking to solve this issue.

Driber
18th Sep 2018, 10:55
Hi and welcome to the forum. That sounds very wrong. Where exactly did this happen? And is the thread where you say you were being mobbed still up or did you take screenshots so your claim can be verified?

whiting1289
18th Sep 2018, 11:22
Hi and welcome to the forum. That sounds very wrong. Where exactly did this happen? And is the thread where you say you were being mobbed still up or did you take screenshots so your claim can be verified?

It happened on the Shadow of the Tomb Raider Steam forums, it was a developer who perma banned me. I think the thread is deleted

Developers have access to the Shadow of the Tomb Raider forums and even though my thread was deleted it should still be on record for Developers with mod powers on the Steam forums.

https://imgur.com/VmzyVU2

whiting1289
18th Sep 2018, 11:37
I honestly didn't think to take screenshots, I didn't think I would get perma banned just for talking about Lara's new character model. But as I said, the original thread and all the posts should still be on record for Developer Mods of the Shadow of the Tome Raider Steam forums.

Driber
18th Sep 2018, 11:44
It happened on the Shadow of the Tomb Raider Steam forums, it was a developer who perma banned me. I think the thread is deleted

Developers have access to the Shadow of the Tomb Raider forums and even though my thread was deleted it should still be on record for Developers with mod powers on the Steam forums.

https://imgur.com/VmzyVU2

Looking at your screenshot the ban reason field is empty - have you tried asking for an explanation as to which rule of their forum you have broken? Perhaps it was done in error. There is a link to Steam Support in the screenshot you provided.

whiting1289
18th Sep 2018, 11:50
Looking at your screenshot the ban reason field is empty - have you tried asking for an explanation as to which rule of their forum you have broken? Perhaps it was done in error. There is a link to Steam Support in the screenshot you provided.

I already did that, but is there much Valve can do when it was a Developer who did the ban? Which is why I am here.

Driber
18th Sep 2018, 12:23
I honestly didn't think to take screenshots, I didn't think I would get perma banned just for talking about Lara's new character model. But as I said, the original thread and all the posts should still be on record for Developer Mods of the Shadow of the Tome Raider Steam forums.

I myself wouldn't expect that either, no, but then again I'm not familiar with the Steam forum ToS. Over here you wouldn't get banned merely voicing criticism of game characters like that. So that's why I would recommend getting in touch with Steam Support in case your ban was indeed made in error.

I already did that, but is there much Valve can do when it was a Developer who did the ban? Which is why I am here.

I don't know how Valve does things so I can't speak to that, but I would assume they would hear you out and at least provide you a clear reason for the ban since none appears to have been given judging by your screenshot. So I'd say it's worth a shot.

Over here we work with a strike system. We first warn members when they break our ToS and only move onto banning as a last resort when the user shows unwillingness to play by the rules. Unless the infraction is a really egregious one. Which at a first glance doesn't appear to be in your case. So perhaps if Valve has a similar system you might be successful in getting your account back.

Let me know if they get back to you.

whiting1289
18th Sep 2018, 12:37
I myself wouldn't expect that either, no, but then again I'm not familiar with the Steam forum ToS. Over here you wouldn't get banned merely voicing criticism of game characters like that. So that's why I would recommend getting in touch with Steam Support in case your ban was indeed made in error.

I don't know how Valve does things so I can't speak to that, but I would assume they would hear you out and at least provide you a clear reason for the ban since none appears to have been given judging by your screenshot. So I'd say it's worth a shot.

Over here we work with a strike system. We first warn members when they break our ToS and only move onto banning as a last resort when the user shows unwillingness to play by the rules. Unless the infraction is a really egregious one. Which at a first glance doesn't appear to be in your case. So perhaps if Valve has a similar system you might be successful in getting your account back.

Let me know if they get back to you.

Thank you for your replies. I'll reply back here if they get back to me from the Steam support.

KManX89
18th Sep 2018, 12:55
Out of morbid curiosity, what did you say about Lara's character model?

Regardless, though, that's f'ed up. I know of certain other forums that ban (read: censor) people for posting character-related stuff that they don't agree with, but actual developers should be held to a (much) higher standard. Like Driber said, I'd try to get in touch with Valve support and try to get the issue resolved. :)

bVriIUInENzfgZaI
18th Sep 2018, 13:01
...I'm not familiar with the Steam forum ToS...recommend getting in touch with Steam Support...I don't know how Valve does things...you might be successful in getting your account back...

1. Those bans doesn't ban the users account
2. Those bans do ban users from the whole game hub (forum, comments, screenshots, videos, all content of the specific game)
3. Only mods or devs from that specific game hub can ban or unban (and global steam mods, but they only do on severe infractions)
4. Valve has nothing to do with it at all and Steam support will mostly recommend to deal with mods or devs of that hub

I never got banned anywhere on steam, but from what i read every day on the forums there, it's not easy to get unbanned once you got banned because nobody cares. I mean only look at the empty reason field, they not even bother to tell you why.

There was even a case where users got banned from a hub solely because they did kill friends of the devs in-game and won too much (No Joke!) ok that case was some indie dev and no AAA company but it still shows very well how cheaply such bans can be cast upon users sometimes.

I also can fully understand the OP here, because for what purchase a game if you are unable to upload screenshots, videos and content and also unable to post any issues in the forums or comment any content. You better purchase the game on another platform then, but that option may not be available for everyone.

whiting1289
18th Sep 2018, 14:23
Out of morbid curiosity, what did you say about Lara's character model?

Regardless, though, that's f'ed up. I know of certain other forums that ban (read: censor) people for posting character-related stuff that they don't agree with, but actual developers should be held to a (much) higher standard. Like Driber said, I'd try to get in touch with Valve support and try to get the issue resolved. :)

I said she looks like she has no shape, like a box, that she has a mans body. Yeah, some disagreed with me, other called me a virgin incel, other suggested I was degrading women. Some also said I have no idea what a women looks like, to which I replied that I studied visual arts and crafts and drew many naked men and women of many different sizes, that getting muscle does not change ones shape from shapely to a straight up and down board, that if anything muscle would make a shapely women more shapely. You yourself may disagree with me on this, but I didn't think I would get a perma ban for it without warning. O_o

Later on in the thread after more people suggesting I am a virgin and others outright calling me an incel, out of annoyance I called a few of them White Knights and one an SJW (AFTER they called me virgin incel that is) and suggested if they are so offended by me criticizing Lara's new character model that they would throw personal insults at them, then that says more about them than it does me, that they are disgusting to come in and just personally attack me like that. Maybe I shouldn't have called them white knights and SJW, but again I didn't think this would result in me getting a perma ban, compared to them calling me a virgin incel and suggesting that I am degrading women.

whiting1289
18th Sep 2018, 14:55
Got a reply back, they are not undoing the ban and still will not give me a reason for the ban.
https://imgur.com/lWZUejH

Everything that I mentioned in the post above is what happened. You guys don't have to believe me, you have no reason to, all I can do is give my side of the story... Hell, the thread and all the posts I made should still be there on record for any Shadow of the Tomb Raider mod or Developer to bring up, so I have no reason to lie.

I'm just so tired and so angry right now. I just don't know what to think anymore.

whiting1289
18th Sep 2018, 16:31
Just got a new reply from Valve, I'll try the new link he/she gave me.
https://imgur.com/CVL0ifZ

whiting1289
18th Sep 2018, 16:50
Nope, the link was a dead end. Basically Valve is telling me there is nothing they can do, it is all up to the Tomb Raider Developers.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.

Driber
25th Sep 2018, 10:02
I said she looks like she has no shape, like a box, that she has a mans body. Yeah, some disagreed with me, other called me a virgin incel, other suggested I was degrading women. Some also said I have no idea what a women looks like, to which I replied that I studied visual arts and crafts and drew many naked men and women of many different sizes, that getting muscle does not change ones shape from shapely to a straight up and down board, that if anything muscle would make a shapely women more shapely. You yourself may disagree with me on this, but I didn't think I would get a perma ban for it without warning. O_o

Later on in the thread after more people suggesting I am a virgin and others outright calling me an incel, out of annoyance I called a few of them White Knights and one an SJW (AFTER they called me virgin incel that is) and suggested if they are so offended by me criticizing Lara's new character model that they would throw personal insults at them, then that says more about them than it does me, that they are disgusting to come in and just personally attack me like that. Maybe I shouldn't have called them white knights and SJW, but again I didn't think this would result in me getting a perma ban, compared to them calling me a virgin incel and suggesting that I am degrading women.

Ah you did not tell us these details earlier ;)

While I would agree with you that your comments about Lara would not IMO warrant a ban, getting into a fight with other forum users might change things and could complicate your appeal.

Throwing insults such as "incel", "virgin", etc at someone for merely trying to have a normal and civil discussion about a game character is of course completely inappropriate and unfair, however once you yourself actively participate in the mud slinging you lose the moral high ground and can no longer claim you did nothing wrong.

Even if those users were being white knighting SJW's (a perfectly believable claim, seeing how toxic the industry has become and how overly sensitive people have gotten) the proper way to handle it probably would've been to contact a staff member instead of engaging in an online fight.

Got a reply back, they are not undoing the ban and still will not give me a reason for the ban.
https://imgur.com/lWZUejH

Everything that I mentioned in the post above is what happened. You guys don't have to believe me, you have no reason to, all I can do is give my side of the story... Hell, the thread and all the posts I made should still be there on record for any Shadow of the Tomb Raider mod or Developer to bring up, so I have no reason to lie.

I'm just so tired and so angry right now. I just don't know what to think anymore.

Nope, the link was a dead end. Basically Valve is telling me there is nothing they can do, it is all up to the Tomb Raider Developers.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.

The first thing I would do is contact Sarah-Lynn again to inform her that the link she provided does not work.

Secondly, she also referred to communicating with the staff through the ban message. Is that something you tried?