PDA

View Full Version : Cozumel Trasure Chest / Returning to Cozumel

Smutje187
13th Sep 2018, 07:22
As I started SOTTR yesterday and currently being in the middle of the Peruvian Jungle I noticed one particular thing in Cozumel (Mexico): There was a treasure chest which visibly (and hinted by an additional text) needed the Lockpick to open - so, I didn't manage to obtain the Lockpick in Mexiko (and later found out through the Internet that it is acquirable in Peru, actually) and I started to wonder if it was

Possible to fast-travel to Cozumel later, or
One has to obtain the Lockpick through any other mechanism prior to finishing Mexico

additionally, I read that it will be possible to travel to Cozumel after completing the story, but what's the use of in-game items (like the treasure chest) when you already finished the game? Or is it combined with some kind of "New Game+"-Feature?

Smutje187
14th Sep 2018, 05:44
Sometimes it pays off to just keep playing - some time shortly before entering Kuwaq Yaku I suddenly was able to "fast travel" at base camps and there even popped up two base camps in Mexico. Haven't fast-travelled to them at the moment, but I guess then one is able to complete Mexico 100% before finishing everything else.

a_big_house
14th Sep 2018, 16:56
Tip - The lockpick can't be attained until you've completed the "Dice with the Dead" side mission.

kjl5146
14th Sep 2018, 18:08
No items are missable. All are obtainable through fast travelling to and from base camps. You can only open treasure chests when you get the lockpick. You can only get the lockpick from a special merchant. You can only get the special merchant by completing a specific side mission. You can only get the specific side mission when you get to the hidden city.

As for the benefits, I believe the chests only give rare resources, not actual items or skills like in previous games. They are mostly for completion, but the rare resources are nice. Additionally, all skills and weapon attachments/progression carries forward with "New Game +" which only unlocks after finishing the main story. For this reason, the rare resources found in the treasure chests are helpful even if unlocking them after the story because you can buy good gear and use it in New Game +.

Milanoboy20
16th Sep 2018, 18:08
As I started SOTTR yesterday and currently being in the middle of the Peruvian Jungle I noticed one particular thing in Cozumel (Mexico): There was a treasure chest which visibly (and hinted by an additional text) needed the Lockpick to open - so, I didn't manage to obtain the Lockpick in Mexiko (and later found out through the Internet that it is acquirable in Peru, actually) and I started to wonder if it was

Possible to fast-travel to Cozumel later, or
One has to obtain the Lockpick through any other mechanism prior to finishing Mexico

additionally, I read that it will be possible to travel to Cozumel after completing the story, but what's the use of in-game items (like the treasure chest) when you already finished the game? Or is it combined with some kind of "New Game+"-Feature?

You can also obtain a lock-pick through the first Merchant you encounter i believe. Once it's obtained you can open any chest that requires a lock-pick even once you missed before. Just fast travel to them :)