PDA

View Full Version : (Possible Spoliers) I hate to say it, but I'm pretty bored with this game so far...

Whitty1109
13th Sep 2018, 04:43
**Possible Spoilers ahead**The game looks beautiful. But it feels like that was too big of a focus along with tombs. The tombs and graphics are great and all, but not if it is going to take focus away from the campaign. I feel like I am a decent way into the game and so far I have run into only 3 "small," groups of Trinity soldiers. Why incorporate more stealth and only give a few opportunities to use it? The game also feels alot less action packed because of this. The most exciting thing to happen so far was getting attacked by a panther which was still kind of blah. Hopefully I'm not as far into the game as I think I am and will be surprised later. Not looking good so far.

dark7angel
13th Sep 2018, 14:05
I'm actually really glad to hear that combat is taking a back seat in Shadow. The previous two games were way too action-oriented and that's simply not Tomb Raider. It seems like this time there's a much greater focus on exploration and puzzle solving and actual tombs, which is what TR has always been about.

Nathrezim666
13th Sep 2018, 19:29
I'm actually really glad to hear that combat is taking a back seat in Shadow. The previous two games were way too action-oriented and that's simply not Tomb Raider. It seems like this time there's a much greater focus on exploration and puzzle solving and actual tombs, which is what TR has always been about.

Completely agree. I was so positively surprised of how little killing Im doing and how much exploring and tomb / crypt raiding I'm partaking in instead.
Glad that the dev returned to the roots to a larger extent than the previous games.

Whitty1109
13th Sep 2018, 19:34

I'll be honest. I never played a tomb raider game until the reboot. I understand the exploration and tombs aspect of the game, but it is a reboot. Which means it switches the mechanics up a bit. I think stealth goes great with the game, but going in guns blazing seems a little bit unfitting. My issue is that they put more focus into stealth, but aren't giving many opportunities to use it. Also when I was talking about action, I was talking about scenes like the Tsunami, button mashing scenes and etc. Which is what the reboot was built around. The game seems to be lacking there with no real sense of danger so far.

dark7angel
13th Sep 2018, 23:18
I'll be honest. I never played a tomb raider game until the reboot. I understand the exploration and tombs aspect of the game, but it is a reboot. Which means it switches the mechanics up a bit. I think stealth goes great with the game, but going in guns blazing seems a little bit unfitting. My issue is that they put more focus into stealth, but aren't giving many opportunities to use it. Also when I was talking about action, I was talking about scenes like the Tsunami, button mashing scenes and etc. Which is what the reboot was built around. The game seems to be lacking there with no real sense of danger so far.

I understand where you're coming from. The reboot was a huge departure from the original formula and attracted a pretty different audience. But as a long time fan of Tomb Raider I won't deny that I'm really glad it's finally getting closer to its roots.

Whitty1109
14th Sep 2018, 03:29
I understand where you're coming from. The reboot was a huge departure from the original formula and attracted a pretty different audience. But as a long time fan of Tomb Raider I won't deny that I'm really glad it's finally getting closer to its roots.

Understandable, but after playing over halfway through the game, I feel like nothing has really happened story wise. Which should be big for everyone. It just doesnt feel immersive like the first of the series. I though RotTR was kinda lacking in narrative, but this one takes the cake imo. The tombs and graphics really are the best part of the game, but puzzle solving still seems too simple. I'm just overall disappointed although I'll still finish the game. Don't get me wrong, I am excited for everyone that has been a long term fan of the game. Hopefully they keep pushing in the direction you want the game to go. If the narrative was better, I would be okay with it.

a_big_house
14th Sep 2018, 16:54
Understandable, but after playing over halfway through the game, I feel like nothing has really happened story wise. Which should be big for everyone. It just doesnt feel immersive like the first of the series. I though RotTR was kinda lacking in narrative, but this one takes the cake imo. The tombs and graphics really are the best part of the game, but puzzle solving still seems too simple. I'm just overall disappointed although I'll still finish the game. Don't get me wrong, I am excited for everyone that has been a long term fan of the game. Hopefully they keep pushing in the direction you want the game to go. If the narrative was better, I would be okay with it.

Having finished the game, I will have to agree with this post completely.

The overall "journey" through the game is amazing, plenty of tombs to warrant the name Tomb Raider and enough puzzles / challenge tombs to keep me going, but story wise - meh.
For the "defining moment" in Lara's origin story, I was vastly underwhelmed by what I played.

dark7angel
14th Sep 2018, 17:31
^Well, for me, the story in the previous reboot games was pretty lackluster, so I didn't expect too much of Shadow's story anyway. I've kept my expectations in check in that regard.

Still, I'll come back to this topic once I actually finish the game.

kjl5146
14th Sep 2018, 18:26
I think you both have hit the nail on the head (Also kudos to being respectable of each other - I often see people arguing angrily about this). The game was trying very hard to balance the older Tomb Raiders with the reboots. I think they struck thebest balance they could - which partially alienates both audiences by forcing compromise. Reboot-fans are surprised and maybe disappointed by less combat, but older fans feel slightly refreshed by this change.

I'm personally a reboot fan - never touched TR before the 2013 game. While I would have preferred more action, even if just more small groups of enemies, I understand why they made the change, and I still feel satisfied with it as a piece of the reboot origin trilogy. I'm also very happy that the story is much better than Rise's!