PDA

View Full Version : I cannot start SOTTR from Steam.

MauroJVC
13th Sep 2018, 02:06
I bought the Croft edition, just to play it early. The game was pre-loaded and when try to open it an update pops up, but it doesn't download. I have tried erasing the download cache and I restarted my computer. It seemed to work, but when I put play, Steams says that I have to update steamworks common redistributables. IDK what is going on, and I feel I am just wasting my time to play this game.

NixxesSoftware
13th Sep 2018, 11:10
Hello MauroJVC,

Can you doublecheck if anti-virus programs are not stopping your game from running? We are seeing reports that software such as Bitdefender are currently causing some issues because of insufficient permissions.

johnson9191
15th Sep 2018, 10:41
Hello MauroJVC,

Can you doublecheck if anti-virus programs are not stopping your game from running? We are seeing reports that software such as Bitdefender are currently causing some issues because of insufficient permissions.

How do you do this please? I also can't start the game (or Rise of the Tomb Raider). I have BitDefender but what do I need to do?

johnson9191
15th Sep 2018, 11:21
Ok so it was my Bitdefender. I went to view notifications and it showed that it had blocked both Rise and Shadow of Tomb Raider. So I allowed them and all working now.

AdobeArtist
15th Sep 2018, 20:11
And I'm dealing with the very same problem!! Pressing Play from the game widget (that mini window) all I get is a black screen and then it closes back to my desktop. I don't use BitDefender but I created the exclusion with my Panda anti-virus, as well as my Windows Firewall. And using the latest Nvidia driver 399.24

Now there is one other thing, I use a program called StopAd Pro, in place of a browser ad blocker. I disabled that and at first I got in the game main menu. I thought "problem solved". Until I tried starting a new game; I select my difficulty and try to begin.... where it freezes right there. Had to close it through Task Manager. But when I tried starting the game again, even with all my exclusions and StopAd still being disabled, it's like the game had never been able to run at all, black screen closing to my desktop.

So far I have ZERO minutes into the game. I even tried closing StopAd altogether and YES, I went through all the BS of verifying the files through Steam and even trying that absurd notion of setting the game to LOW (something I should NOT have to do with a GTX 1070 and Ryzen 1600X!!!)

So Nixxes, with all the reports out there of PC launch issues do you finally want to admit you released a completely BROKEN program actually rivalling Batman Arkham Knight on its PC launch???? :mad::mad2:

HiWard
15th Sep 2018, 22:13
And I'm dealing with the very same problem!! Pressing Play from the game widget (that mini window) all I get is a black screen and then it closes back to my desktop. I don't use BitDefender but I created the exclusion with my Panda anti-virus, as well as my Windows Firewall. And using the latest Nvidia driver 399.24

Now there is one other thing, I use a program called StopAd Pro, in place of a browser ad blocker. I disabled that and at first I got in the game main menu. I thought "problem solved". Until I tried starting a new game; I select my difficulty and try to begin.... where it freezes right there. Had to close it through Task Manager. But when I tried starting the game again, even with all my exclusions and StopAd still being disabled, it's like the game had never been able to run at all, black screen closing to my desktop.

So far I have ZERO minutes into the game. I even tried closing StopAd altogether and YES, I went through all the BS of verifying the files through Steam and even trying that absurd notion of setting the game to LOW (something I should NOT have to do with a GTX 1070 and Ryzen 1600X!!!)

So Nixxes, with all the reports out there of PC launch issues do you finally want to admit you released a completely BROKEN program actually rivalling Batman Arkham Knight on its PC launch???? :mad::mad2:

Have you tried launching the \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Shadow of the Tomb Raider\SOTTR.exe as administrator?

AdobeArtist
16th Sep 2018, 06:16
Of course I tried launching the game directly from the .exe both normally and as admin. BUT I found my own solution, and not at all what I expected.

First I tried setting the game to DX11 from the launch settings widget. I heard from multiple Youtube reviewers that DX12 was the way to go with Windows 10 (what I run on) and comparisons showing favorable performance. Yet sure enough in DX11, the game actually DID launch, just as it should. I'm in the main menu, checking my settings and preferred options (like exploration difficulty to Hard to turn off white ledges) and upon beginning my new game.... it runs!!! So I'm going through the game, mingling through the crowd in that hood & skull mask, exploring, stealth battling some mercs and the usual.

Buuuuuuut still not all is well in virtual playland. As some others have reported, DX11 is highly unstable and as my game progresses I'm experiencing staggering frame stuttering, even to the point of freezes for as long as 3 seconds, and fairly frequently. Kind of reminded me of Mass Effect 1 on the good ol' Xbox 360... only way worse as it occurred far more frequently. The experience becomes really unplayable! So what are my options? To suffer through game breaking choking (DX11), or not to play at all (DX12) ??

So I consider some of the other pre-launch options. Should I turn the V sync on? Something I usually avoid like the plague. Try a different AA method? But then I check those screen modes. And THAT'S where the problem lay all this time. EXCLUSIVE FULL SCREEN. I just stick to Full Screen mode, DX12 selected, and finally, FINALLY I am running the game, my StopAd pro again running to filter my web browser, and no interference. There is the very odd hiccup, but hardly anything game breaking, and really not too unusual for some other games varying by engine and optimization. Getting a 55 fps average with my GTX 1070 in 3440 x 1440 High settings (my monitor supports 100 Hz). Wow is this game ever demanding but for the most part, a smooth and GORGEOUS gaming experience. And I was able to clock in over 6 hours.... and currently stuck on a swinging crate puzzle.