PDA

View Full Version : Collector's Edition...No Steelbook?

Valenka
8th Aug 2018, 00:07
Is anyone else confused and/or frustrated by this weird decision to release a $200 collector's edition and not include the steelbook? Some of us are paying serious money for the top tier of the game and still don't get everything we should and I'm mildly offended.

I preordered the collector's edition the moment it was available, so I'm grateful to have secured one. I ended up having to preorder a second copy of the game just to secure a steelbook. Fortunately, I used my GCU 20% discount from Best Buy, so I appreciate the savings, but I'm still rather up in arms about the CE lacking the steelbook.

Has anyone heard anything from SE/CD about their decision to omit the steelbook? Rather disappointing, really.

:scratch:

Tihocan
13th Aug 2018, 03:45
I found this on multiple fan sites, apparently from an announcement FAQ I haven't seen:

"After listening to our fans, we decided to add the Steelboook to Shadow of the Tomb Raider Ultimate Edition at no extra cost."

Relight-TRHQ
13th Aug 2018, 04:24
I see soundtracks being mentioned in some of the million different pre-order editions (75% of which don't seem to have PC versions sadly), but I'm guessing they're all digital. Any word about a soundtrack CD, whether as part of a pre-order or as a separate release?

Metalrocks
13th Aug 2018, 12:15
I see soundtracks being mentioned in some of the million different pre-order editions (75% of which don't seem to have PC versions sadly), but I'm guessing they're all digital. Any word about a soundtrack CD, whether as part of a pre-order or as a separate release?

so far no. only digital. which im not too surprising since majority are listening to music through their phone. i did pre order the game though steam and the soundtrack is only available if you purchase the "digital deluxe or croft edition".
i did check my local game shops, while they do sell the croft edition for ps4 and xbox, that includes the soundtrack but its not stated if its a CD or download.
for PC there is nothing. both my local stores only sell the standard version. steam is the only that has the whole lot.
however, EBgames (australia) does have for ps4 the steelbook edition plus a little figurine.
https://ebgames.com.au/ps4-217350-Shadow-of-the-Tomb-Raider-Special-Edition-PlayStation-4

Valenka
26th Aug 2018, 17:54
The Square Enix Store Team reached out to me to inform me that the steelbook case was added to Collector's Edition preorders. So I'm happy.

dark7angel
30th Aug 2018, 16:18
In case you're curious about how the statue and the rest of the content looks like, here's an unboxing of Shadow's Collector's Edition by IGN: http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/30/unboxing-shadow-of-the-tomb-raiders-impressive-collectors-edition-a-ign-first

Heavenlyfire93
1st Sep 2018, 16:52
In case you're curious about how the statue and the rest of the content looks like, here's an unboxing of Shadow's Collector's Edition by IGN: http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/30/unboxing-shadow-of-the-tomb-raiders-impressive-collectors-edition-a-ign-first

love it!

a_big_house
2nd Sep 2018, 11:00
The Square Enix Store Team reached out to me to inform me that the steelbook case was added to Collector's Edition preorders. So I'm happy.

Ooh, now ask them to release all versions of the game a week early! :cool:

NightRain'06
6th Sep 2018, 03:48
I found this on multiple fan sites, apparently from an announcement FAQ I haven't seen:

"After listening to our fans, we decided to add the Steelboook to Shadow of the Tomb Raider Ultimate Edition at no extra cost."

So it had to take fans' reactions for SE to include a steel-book.

You'd think for fans willing to seriously spend a lot of money for that version, SE would have planned to obviously and automatically include that from the beginning. :rolleyes:

Heck, for that amount, everything should come in a light-weight steel vault !! :lol: :D

Well, I'm glad it worked out for fans like Valenka. :)

While I'm a huge fan of the TR series myself, to get the CE is a bit much, mainly because I'd probably accidentally damage and / or lose the items.

Valenka
10th Sep 2018, 00:58
So it had to take fans' reactions for SE to include a steel-book.

You'd think for fans willing to seriously spend a lot of money for that version, SE would have planned to obviously and automatically include that from the beginning. :rolleyes:

Yeah, unfortunately that was my thought process, too. I was very disappointed that adding the steelbook was an afterthought due to feedback; for a $200 price point, it should have been included from the beginning. I mean, they offer the steelbook with the regular edition and the Croft Edition, but not the Ultimate/Collector's Edition until people started complaining, and I find that absurd. I know the gaming industry is turning into manure, but I didn't expect this from Square Enix. Rather shocked, honestly.

Now my current issue is trying to figure out why, 3 days away from the 48 Hour Early Access launch window, my order still has not shipped. I was told previously by a Square Enix Store support representative that they ship preorders out a week in advance to ensure release day delivery. Well, now we're 3 days away and it still hasn't shipped, so that was false. Just as well, they billed my credit card 19 days ago after sending me an e-mail saying they'd be shipping the order soon. Billing me on August 21st and then 19 days later it still hasn't shipped? Something isn't right. I just dispatched another e-mail to Square Enix Store Support basically asking what's going on and politely telling them that if it doesn't arrive on the 12th, then the 48 Hour Early Access is false advertising.

Not to mention the fact that there's ZERO information on the store to help customers make informed decisions on shipping methods. I chose Super Saver Shipping (5 to 10 days) since it was the cheapest option, but for PREORDERS, delivery windows shouldn't exist; ship it out early enough to guarantee release day delivery, especially when one of the main preorder incentives is 48 hour early access!

Lord, I hate being that kind of customer, but I hate not getting what I paid for when I'm actually supposed to receive it. If they didn't make it a Square Enix Store exclusive, I could have preordered it from a store and picked it up on release day myself, which is my actual preference. I hate having high-ticket items shipped to my house, God forbid it were stolen, since I work office hours during the week.

And Square Enix has the nerve to say they aren't responsible for lost or stolen items, yet do not offer a Signature Confirmation when selecting a shipping method. Yeah, my credit card company says otherwise. I'm paranoid and already reached out to my credit card company who told me that if I don't receive it or if it's stolen and SE refuses to replace it, I can reverse the charge and secure a refund, especially since they don't offer a signature confirmation option at checkout.

Worst part is that their only support is via e-mail like this is 2002. Add a Live Chat option and add a support phone line, please. Some people have ASAP issues and waiting 24 to 48 hours for a response on high priority issues is unacceptable.

Sorry, rant over. I'm just so high strung. If I don't receive a shipping confirmation with a tracking number tomorrow, I'm going to panic. And if that tracking number does not show me an estimated delivery of September 12, I will panic even more and send SE a very stern e-mail.