PDA

View Full Version : Attention UK taffers

Shadow Creepr
28th Nov 2002, 11:50
I need some travel information to help me plan a trip to England next year. I would like any opinions on things to do, places to see, and some of your favorite (oops, I mean favourite) activites in your area. I have found some excellent information on www.travelbritain.org but that doesn't give me word-of-mouth opinions, which is what I would like. I like bus tours and I don't mind walking either. I am missing the shopping gene so that is not important to me. Castle tours have been suggested (thanks, Thorin) and there are so MANY to choose from. I would like to see some of the country areas if you know of a good way to do that. I like moonlight carriage rides......oh, wait a minute...wrong forum for that. Anyway...any suggestions would be much appreciated! If you don't wish to post then PM or email me.

Thanks

BrokenArts
28th Nov 2002, 17:20
The caldron boils, the plots thickens, two taffettes are making plans. ;) :D

Saturnine
28th Nov 2002, 17:44
Waitaminute!!
Shadow Creepr *AND* BrokenArts are coming to England???

*runshidesshivers*

Well.........as long as you're not armed or anything :(

Zaccheus
28th Nov 2002, 17:46
There's a town in hampshire that you might want to visit.
:)

BrokenArts
28th Nov 2002, 17:52
Originally posted by Saturnine
Well.........as long as you're not armed or anything :( [/B]

Well now why would you say that? :confused: :p Armed with a hug. :p

Saturnine
28th Nov 2002, 18:03
Originally posted by Zaccheus
There's a town in hampshire that you might want to visit.

Don't bring them to Hampshire!!!!!!

North.....yeah North, that's where it's all ummmm interesting n' stuff :D

Shadow Creepr
28th Nov 2002, 18:13
Oh yeah...something that BrokenArts forgot to mention. Any volunteers to put us up so we can save money on hotels will be greatly appreciated. Now that should have all of you taffers running scared!:D

Saturnine
28th Nov 2002, 18:35
You guys are coming together???????

Oh man it gets worse :eek:

BrokenArts
28th Nov 2002, 18:41
Yes we are planning this trip together, save on costs, etc. :p Can you put up with two taffettes? :p

Yeah crash on a couch or two, would be great. Just don't make us sleep in the Burrick pit.
Lets see.....hhhmmm....we could me Sat...well maybe. :p GumDrop, Thorin, Zac, RichC. Ohh this could be interesting. :D Fun!!! LOL!
The UK will never be the same. ;)

Saturnine
28th Nov 2002, 18:44
Okay ....say If I grew some balls by then to face you two in real life ....where are the other guys?
I'm on the Isle of Wight, nearest town on the mainland would be either Southampton or Portsmouth, I think I'm close to Zac, but Thorin is MILES away

BrokenArts
28th Nov 2002, 18:48
Whats there to be afraid of? HHmmm? ;) I have met enough taffers, to know, we are the best kind of people to meet. Don't worry Sat. :)
We don't know any details yet, just really started discussing things. Need to really plan this right.

Xcom
28th Nov 2002, 19:09
Originally posted by BrokenArts
Just don't make us sleep in the Burrick pit.

Just bring your gas masks, you'll be okay. ;)

bravus
28th Nov 2002, 20:22
I think the um, backward Burricks in the blooper mission are the UK sub-species, right...? ;)

Bravus

Thorin Oakenshield
28th Nov 2002, 22:41
... but Thorin is MILES away

Hi Sat, Yeah a few hundred miles away from you. Rich is my closest neighbour around 35-40 miles. I keep meaning to vist your little island. I want a nice fossil to place on my wall near the wife's pc:D (really I used to like collecting fossils:rolleyes: )

Girls;) If you come here in the summer then you must visit the lake district. Lake Windermere and Coniston Water are the most popular with tourists. As for castles I think Warwick castle is one of the best ;) And for the olde worlde, Cantabury is nice. It has a cathedral if you're into that sort of thing as well as many other attractions. I could imagine roaming those streets in olden times meeting someone like Garrett. There are lots of nice places around the UK, It boils down to how much travelling you want to do.

Saturnine
29th Nov 2002, 00:02
Heya Thorin,

I think they are aiming for around March, maybe if you're thinking of visiting the Island anyway you could visit here when they do?
CaffeinatedZombeh lives here too, we could go for much beers ;)

And I'm sure we could get your wife a cool fossil, its Dinosaurs r us on the Isle of Wight!

Shadow Creepr
29th Nov 2002, 00:20
Thank you for the input Zaccheus and Thorin. I looked up the areas on the map. Zac, Hampshire is one of the areas I was interested in.

Saturnine - The time of year for the visit will depend on my newly aquired travel partner. Oh, and by the way...isn't the Isle of Wight located in the SOUTH?!! I believe your directions were for us to head NORTH for interesting sights!!! LOL!;)

Zaccheus
29th Nov 2002, 09:27
I work in a town called Guildford and I live in North Hampshire.
It would be great to meet up with you all.

Here are some Photos of Guildford (http://www.simonlynch.btinternet.co.uk/photography/myarea/038.html) (just keep clicking 'next').

Guildford has some 'Thiefy architecture' and we are only one hour away from London.

EDIT:
Here's a map and some random "South England" photos.
http://homepages.pavilion.co.uk/nmarchant/semap.htm

Saturnine
29th Nov 2002, 10:16
Originally posted by Shadow Creepr
by the way...isn't the Isle of Wight located in the SOUTH?!!

I'mmmmm................not.......sure.......

Zaccheus
29th Nov 2002, 12:43
I thought it was located just north of France.
:D

Shadow Creepr
29th Nov 2002, 12:46
Zaccheus -

Thank you SO MUCH for the slide show. That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Your area is beautiful. I love the town. I could live in a place like that!

As soon as we get more travel info confirmed we'll let you know when we will be there.

Saturnine -

I am sorry you have having trouble remembering where you are located. When BrokenArts and I come there we will be sure to find you so we can confirm if you are in the south....just so you'll know! LOL!;)

Shadow Creepr
30th Nov 2002, 07:25
Zaccheus -

I had a better look at that second link. That is very helpful and even allows for direct booking of hotels, attractions, and cars. I was even able to get the map down to actual street names within a city. Very nice! Thanks again.

Thorin Oakenshield
30th Nov 2002, 11:49
Checkout this Map Site (http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=europe&ukwidth=200&ukheight=200&scale=1000000&uk.x=105&uk.y=121)
You can zoom right in to get street names, If you type in de11 for the postcode You can see my area. (de11 is only the first part of my postcode)

Type la23 into the postcode box and it should centre you on lake windermere. Bowness is a really nice place, There's hotels, guest houses(cheaper) pubs, hiking, boats etc. Last time I was there on the bank of windermere I held a piece of bread in the air and artic turns (birds) would swoop and take it from my hands.:)

Hey Sat, I can see your house:)

Shadow Creepr
30th Nov 2002, 12:41
Oh yes, thank you very much Thorin. The ability to actually be able to stalk the people I am coming to see is a delightful discovery!

If you are able to see Saturnine's house you might want to let him know exactly where he is...he seems to be having a little trouble with that! LOL!;)

Saturnine
30th Nov 2002, 17:31
Originally posted by Thorin Oakenshield
You can zoom right in to get street names........Hey Sat, I can see your house:)

DUDE!!!!!!!
Do we know these two aren't psycho stalkers???????
I think not!
I'm going into hiding (at least until I know one of you other guys survived)

Gonna die gonna die gonna die...................

BrokenArts
30th Nov 2002, 18:05
OK then................you'll die with a smile on your face. :p ;) :o

BrokenArts
30th Nov 2002, 18:17
All kidding aside. If some of you guys want to meet up with us, that is fine. If not that is fine too. We are making plans, and want to have a great time, I know we will. :) I have met enough taffers to know we are a great to meet.

Zaccheus
30th Nov 2002, 23:16
DUDE!!!!!!!
Do we know these two aren't psycho stalkers???????

Oh .. I thought we knew that they are.
Am I missing something?

BA & SC, I'll PM you ladys later.

Shadow Creepr
1st Dec 2002, 00:05
Originally posted by Zaccheus
Do we know these two aren't psycho stalkers??????

Oh .. I thought we knew that they are.

LOL Zaccheus!

That's right....and formidable women we are too!!:D

Here you go Saturnine - fair is fair

Where I am (http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=-9650000&Y=4325000&width=700&height=400&client=public&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=mercator&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&scale=1000000&down.x=16&down.y=14)

Zaccheus
1st Dec 2002, 10:53
Hampshire !!! (http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=-9720000&Y=4220000&width=700&height=400&client=public&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=mercator&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&scale=100000&out.x=9&out.y=7)

Shadow Creepr
1st Dec 2002, 14:15
Wow, Zaccheus...I had never noticed that before! I am more of an East side girl and don't get to the West areas much. I am afraid this Hampshire is not as beautiful as your Hampshire. This one is just a small town area with rolling hills and trees, yours is much more architecturally interesting!

Note: This mapping stuff is too much fun, especially in some areas where you can change from text to aerial satellite photos.

Dinksmallwood
3rd Dec 2002, 19:42
Oh, :( I'm really envious that I don't live in England and won't get a visit of two hot taffettes ;-)

Shadow Creepr
4th Dec 2002, 01:07
Dinksmallwood

You are good for the ego! Maybe one day I can "puddle jump" back over to Germany again and meet you in person. Thanks.

Danke sehr. Du bist herzig! Grobe umarmung deinetwillen und familie. Werden sie daraus klug?:D

Dinksmallwood
4th Dec 2002, 22:38
Danke Shadow Creepr :)

Ja, ich verstehe Deine Nachricht. Es ist ein bißchen vermischt und holprig aber trotzdem gut zu lesen :p

Eine große Umarmung an Dich zurück

Shadow Creepr
5th Dec 2002, 03:31
Ich freue mich du verstehen mein nachricht. Diese war hart aber ich bin lernend. Ich hoff diese vergnugungsreise macht mein traume erfullten sich!

GroBe umarmung zu deinem kleine Lara.

Zaccheus
5th Dec 2002, 12:52
Hey, hier koennen alle Deutsch!

RicknMel
5th Dec 2002, 16:57
I'm so confused!! It's like everyone's speaking a foriegn language or something!!
:p
:eek:

Xcom
5th Dec 2002, 17:08
Originally posted by RicknMel
I'm so confused!! It's like everyone's speaking a foriegn language or something!!
:p
:eek:

Check this out (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.eidosgames.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Fs%3D%26threadid%3D10446%26pagenumber%3D2&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&prev=%2Flanguage_tools)

Shadow Creepr
5th Dec 2002, 18:26
LOL Xcom!

That is so funny but I am afraid the translation is just a tad off! German is a hard language and there are several meanings to one word...I guess it picked up the first word it wanted too!

My first message was actually:

Thank you! You are sweet. A great big hug to you and your family. Does this make sense to you?

My other message should have read:

I am glad you understood my message. This was hard but I am learning. I hope this pleasure trip will be the answer to my dreams. A great big hug to your little one, Lara.

Peter_Smith
5th Dec 2002, 20:36
LOL. Wish I still lived in the UK and could entertain you..;) Actually I lived in Lancashire for 2.5 years in 1970. We did a lot of traveling, so I can recommend some cities and places to visit. Where you go depends on your time and intinerary, of course. You can't see all these places well in a couple of weeks - maybe a third of them

London, of course.
Oxford
Stratford-on-Avon
Bath
Cornwall area (West country)
Stonehenge
Chester - roman walled city, but not much remains
Blackpool (a working man's holiday resort - something completely different)
Lake district (I rather like the villlage of Ravenglass and Wastwater (a lake) with the trek to Skafell. More rugged and much less touristy than Windemere and surrounds. Near Wastwater there is a good after-hike residential pub). There is an interesting windy road that goes over the hill.
York
Edinburgh
Loch Ness and vicinity
Wales - mountains and coast, if you have time (near Chester).

Shadow Creepr
5th Dec 2002, 23:22
Thank you Peter Smith for your input. Some of the places that you mentioned have been suggested by others too, so to me that makes them definite "must see" places! Thanks!:)

Peter_Smith
6th Dec 2002, 02:31
You're welcome.:) I remembered the name of that road that goes from Wastwater over the mountain. It's Hard Knot Pass.