PDA

View Full Version : SOTTR - Welcome to Paititi: Walkthrough Video

dark7angel
23rd Jul 2018, 20:02
-bOeVm-Uzcs

Home to a civilization untouched by modern culture, explore the largest hub ever found in a Tomb Raider game featuring a bustling city with challenge tombs, side missions, and more!

Tihocan
23rd Jul 2018, 23:51
The game looks fantastic. The tombs, rappelling, swimming - it's gonna be great. And the new options will certainly be appreciated.

I did find her dialogue to be a bit... stilted? The "don't worry, I'll do my best to find the bow" line was a bit stiff, or something.
Not going to judge by one conversation.

dark7angel
24th Jul 2018, 12:55
^I actually liked how calm and collected Lara sounded on that line. I think it's a nice contrast to the over-dramatic acting of the past games. :)

Tihocan
26th Jul 2018, 01:38
^I actually liked how calm and collected Lara sounded on that line. I think it's a nice contrast to the over-dramatic acting of the past games. :)

I think the tone was fine, just that it was too long. I mean, it's a total nitpick, but I was oddly aware of it. :D
"Don't worry, I'll do my best, to find the bow" just seemed game-y in that sort of dialogue + "this is what you're supposed to do" way.

"Don't worry, I'll find the bow". "I'll do my best to find your bow". *shrug*

POP3D
26th Jul 2018, 05:21
When he said that you can adjust difficulty for puzzles, exploration and combat and mentioned that raising exploration difficulty to hard removes the white paint that shows the edges i instantly jumped off of my seat screaming 'YES, THEY ARE FINALLY GOING THE RIGHT DIRECTION'. :D

I've been screaming out for such feature since Tomb Raider Legend... Along with the underwater exploration levels. And now that this is finally happening i feel safe knowing that the game is in good hands, also the concept of the interactive hidden city is a really very smart move. :)

What i hope to see next is Lara's acrobatic moves during both combat and exploration, stuff like the back-flip while firing your weapons, or between sloops to reach for a more difficult locations or avoid sudden traps, and flipping in mid-air to switch direction. :D

Also, i'm so glad they made the tombs more challenging and harder in puzzles and traps, after all these tombs are optional so they can kick their difficulty as high as they want without worrying about the playability of the game. More puzzles please. :)

I really have high hopes for this next TR game, what they showed so far is enough to get me to pre-order the game, it won't disappoint me, i can feel it. :)

Relight-TRHQ
13th Aug 2018, 00:17
Been a while :) I decided to drop in and see what was happening :)

I don't know if I can even finish watching this video, it's that painful at the beginning.

1) I don't know what's going with all the crushed blacks, that's the first problem. Maybe it was an HDR video and they didn't convert it properly?

2) Granted there is not much conversation in this video to see, but the facial animations and mouth animations are just really bad... completely stiff, blank, unnatural looking... a huge step backward.

3) Lara constantly has her neck turned while walking or running. Either she's constantly turning her head back and forth, or she's running forward while looking sideways for way too long. No one walks or runs like that. I get it, she's looking at something interesting. But this makes me nuts after watching this video for less than 5 minutes. I'm not going to play a game like this, it will drive me crazy. She should only occasionally turn her head to look at something the game thinks is a point of interest, it should happen less frequently regardless of whether there is a point of interest - it needs to be much more natural - and NEVER while running.

4) What is up with her weird arm movements while running down steps? Yikes. Around 4:39.

5) Challenge Tomb Nearby... why am I not surprised... but at least we could be hopeful that this pop-up might be part of the Exploration Difficulty setting. No white ledges with a separate difficulty setting specifically for Exploration - hey, at least that's one thing they did right! After all the fan reaction in previous games though, I would have hoped for even finer control, such as an option for "Enough already, I don't want ANY pop-ups!"

It's like they threw away everything that had already been perfected by Crystal and made everything worse...

For me, Tomb Raider and Rise were practically perfect video games that I'd recommend to anyone, whether or not they were a Tomb Raider fan. They were that amazing. This, however... is managing to fail at all the basic things.

It's really too bad that Crystal isn't the developer.

First impressions are everything... I don't know... I REALLY wanted to be excited for this game, but now I'm just not feeling it.

:(

dark7angel
13th Aug 2018, 13:37
^Honestly, I'm the other way around - I'm really glad Crystal isn't at the helm of Shadow because I think Eidos Montreal did a really good job steering the game back into actual Tomb Raider territory. I'm really looking forward for this game's release. Is it everything I wished for? No, of course not. And I still have my concerns about it, but for the first time since the Reboot, I'm actually excited about TR again.

As for some of your specific points:

- imo, facial animations are actually improved over Rise, both in cutscenes and in-game.

- i do agree that most of her character animations needed an overhaul because they're recycled from the past two games and don't reflect how much Lara as grown physically since TR2013. I also never quite liked most of them anyway and am really disappointed they're back yet again.

- I also agree that there should be an option to turn the pop-ups on/off.

a_big_house
13th Aug 2018, 21:21
^ @Challenge Tomb pop-up - I would assume that with the Exploration set to hard, those would be off?

dark7angel
14th Aug 2018, 13:03
^ @Challenge Tomb pop-up - I would assume that with the Exploration set to hard, those would be off?

I don't think so. In one of the videos I shared in the previews thread - I think it's the last one - the player set Exploration to hard and the "Challenge Tomb near by" message still showed up during gameplay.

Relight-TRHQ
15th Aug 2018, 00:04
I don't think so. In one of the videos I shared in the previews thread - I think it's the last one - the player set Exploration to hard and the "Challenge Tomb near by" message still showed up during gameplay.
That would be rather unfortunate... one step forward, two steps back...