PDA

View Full Version : More curvy Lara next time? (Hopefully not controversial feedback)

PicardSavage
13th Jun 2018, 11:40
So if you compare Lara in even the 2013 Tomb Raider game to this one, she is less curvy, very notably. I see they want her to look lean and mean like a female Rambo, and while that's cool. All shapes and sizes of people are cool, both in real life and in stylized video games. So why can't their still be a buxom gal running around adventuring as well?

Lara looks very much with current trends and whatnot, is there any reason why she can't still have a little bit of that classic curvaceous attractive quality?

And again, everyone is beautiful, I'm not saying thin muscular women aren't. But this character had a different body type, look at for example side view of the character in 2013 to this game.

There's a lot more to a game than how a character looks, but even if these days it's only say 20% of the appeal of this game, Lara being like an attractive girl next door was part of the 2013 reboot. That seems to have been abandoned a bit by this one. Just some feedback, one fan's opinion.

Driber
13th Jun 2018, 13:58
Absolutely. Nothing wrong with curviness and sex appeal.

It works great for Bayonetta and many other game characters, so no reason IMO not to #bringbackclassiclara :)

dark7angel
13th Jun 2018, 19:58
#bringbackclassiclara :)

Oh I would be totally down with this! Not only in terms of her appearance, but also her personality and background.

Could you imagine if we had something like this:

God, I miss Classic Lara!

PicardSavage
13th Jun 2018, 20:18
For sure, I'd love to see more of her confident and witty old self as well. And it's cool that this forum is friendly about these discussions. :)

Driber
14th Jun 2018, 08:08
Oh I would be totally down with this! Not only in terms of her appearance, but also her personality and background.

Could you imagine if we had something like this:

God, I miss Classic Lara!

That looks absolutely awesome. Sign me up, heh.

I also saw some nice mock-ups of reboot Lara in classic outfit which looked really great. Just can't seem to find them at the moment. Will post some pics later if I find them.

For sure, I'd love to see more of her confident and witty old self as well. And it's cool that this forum is friendly about these discussions. :)

We're pretty open here. As long as it's kept civil, people can discuss pretty much anything :)

What would you say is your favorite Lara render, PicardSavage? Core era? LAU era?

PicardSavage
14th Jun 2018, 17:03
I'd say Tomb Raider Underworld, but the Core ones were great too, as well as the Image comics from the 90s. I also do like the 2013 look somewhat. So to me the ideal version would be Lara with as much curves as ever and fun style like Underworld, but in the more detailed art style somewhat like the new games.

dark7angel
14th Jun 2018, 17:38
^I LOVE Top Cow Lara!!! Specially the earlier issues written by Dan Jurgens and with Andy Park's art. I think that they did a fantastic job capturing the essence of the character and expanding/exploring different sides of her personality. My head-canon of Lara is a mix of Classic Lara and Top Cow Lara. :D

Driber
18th Jun 2018, 09:07
The popular youtuber TJ Kirk aka The Amazing Atheist agrees with you, PicardSavage. He just published this video a while ago:

yh-8besxRZM

And as usual, the pearl-clutching SJW types were quick to attack and smear, because oh nos we can't have a bit of fun in le current year because everything not PC is oppressive :p

Kanteanar
18th Jun 2018, 14:43
Being a Tomb Raider fan since the very first game came out, I really miss the classic look of Lara. I was hoping to see more hints of her progressing towards her classic look in this game, but I understand that they are still telling the story of when she was young and still learning about tomb raiding (from what I have seen, SoTTR is doing a better job at showing us more Tombs, and amore confident Lara, which I REALLY LIKE).

I do miss the shorts, it was the look that made her popular in the first place, and it would be nice to see this (or more hints :) ) in the next game that Square Enix makes. I understand that Square is modernizing the franchise depending on the current trends in society. Albeit this, I think a lot of fans (especially longtime fans) would like to see more of her classic look in the modern games.

Lara_Fan_84
18th Jun 2018, 23:18
Being a Tomb Raider fan since the very first game came out, I really miss the classic look of Lara. I was hoping to see more hints of her progressing towards her classic look in this game, but I understand that they are still telling the story of when she was young and still learning about tomb raiding (from what I have seen, SoTTR is doing a better job at showing us more Tombs, and amore confident Lara, which I REALLY LIKE).

I do miss the shorts, it was the look that made her popular in the first place, and it would be nice to see this (or more hints :) ) in the next game that Square Enix makes. I understand that Square is modernizing the franchise depending on the current trends in society. Albeit this, I think a lot of fans (especially longtime fans) would like to see more of her classic look in the modern games.

I keep hoping for that too. In each new game I'm looking for signs of classic Lara coming around since we've been told this is basically Lara before she became Lara that we know but then this is a different, more modern Lara so maybe she'll become a different version of the Lara we know. :scratch:

d1n0_xD
21st Jun 2018, 11:05
She's got more curves, have you seen those muscles, like damn girl :D

dark7angel
21st Jun 2018, 18:45
^While I think it's nice to see Lara with more toned arms, I also think the designers went a little overboard with it. It's just a little too much for my tastes, particularly during cutscenes.

NightRain'06
17th Sep 2018, 02:45
So if you compare Lara in even the 2013 Tomb Raider game to this one, she is less curvy, very notably. I see they want her to look lean and mean like a female Rambo, and while that's cool. All shapes and sizes of people are cool, both in real life and in stylized video games. So why can't their still be a buxom gal running around adventuring as well?

Lara looks very much with current trends and whatnot, is there any reason why she can't still have a little bit of that classic curvaceous attractive quality?

And again, everyone is beautiful, I'm not saying thin muscular women aren't. But this character had a different body type, look at for example side view of the character in 2013 to this game.

There's a lot more to a game than how a character looks, but even if these days it's only say 20% of the appeal of this game, Lara being like an attractive girl next door was part of the 2013 reboot. That seems to have been abandoned a bit by this one. Just some feedback, one fan's opinion.

1. I really didn't notice that much of a difference between her 2013's first excursion to now, other than being a bit more lean and muscle toned.

As you know, like anyone with an athletic background, the body changes when exercising so of course she's going to look more fit.
And, after her first adventure, maybe that's what Lara would have thought as well, if she were a real person.

To me, I think the way the developers changed and toned her body is great.

2. I don't think the developers wanted people to constantly think she is the attractive girl-next-door type. [ Even though she still is. :lol: ]

I think they wanted people to know that Lara has evolved into becoming a Tomb Raider throughout the 3 games, therefore, her body had to eventually change to become stronger than she was before.

Driber
17th Sep 2018, 07:30
1. I really didn't notice that much of a difference between her 2013's first excursion to now, other than being a bit more lean and muscle toned.

As you know, like anyone with an athletic background, the body changes when exercising so of course she's going to look more fit.
And, after her first adventure, maybe that's what Lara would have thought as well, if she were a real person.

To me, I think the way the developers changed and toned her body is great.

2. I don't think the developers wanted people to constantly think she is the attractive girl-next-door type. [ Even though she still is. :lol: ]

I think they wanted people to know that Lara has evolved into becoming a Tomb Raider throughout the 3 games, therefore, her body had to eventually change to become stronger than she was before.

So you're saying the devs wanted people not to focus on her looks, yet they still very much used her looks to sell games by purposely making her very attractive. And also at the same time in order to become a Tomb Raider you can't be curvy.

Great message :nut:

NightRain'06
17th Sep 2018, 10:30
So you're saying the devs wanted people not to focus on her looks, yet they still very much used her looks to sell games by purposely making her very attractive. And also at the same time in order to become a Tomb Raider you can't be curvy.

Great message :nut:

Don't look at me like that. It's what the developers did.

~~~~~~

No offense to the OP. :)

But, I cannot believe we're still discussing this video game character's body even after 20 years...

No matter what the developers do, someone still has to comment about it.

Driber
17th Sep 2018, 11:37
Don't look at me like that. It's what the developers did.

Yeah what I said wasn't really directed at you personally :)

Just saying, IF they did as you described, then it really makes no sense IMO.

No offense to the OP. :)

But, I cannot believe we're still discussing this video game character's body even after 20 years...

Maybe that's because they keep changing Lara every single game during those 20 years :D

If only Lara could be like the Simpsons, haha.

No matter what the developers do, someone still has to comment about it.

Well of course, that's the fun of discussion forums isn't it. Heh.

dark7angel
17th Sep 2018, 18:36
^While I think it's nice to see Lara with more toned arms, I also think the designers went a little overboard with it. It's just a little too much for my tastes, particularly during cutscenes.

I noticed that the muscles in the released game were toned down in comparison to the footage we saw at E3. I think they look better now. :thumb: