PDA

View Full Version : New tool: RoomEdit Debug Logger!!

Wee Bald Man
25th Nov 2002, 23:10
Hi all,

On behalf of my friend spider907 who is currently working with me on the next release of TR Media Player, I would like to announce the release of a new tool: RoomEdit Debug Logger!! :)

Read all about it in spider907's own words below...

Download it here (http://www.weebaldman.com/DebugLog/DebugLog.zip)

Blessings to you all,

WBM

------------------

RoomEdit Debug Logger written by spider907.
===========================================

What is RoomEdit Debug Logger?
------------------------------
Not many people know this, but when RoomEdit loads up it looks for another window, DBLogServer. This program is probably used by Core Design to discover problems with DirectX and their programs. This program acts as a fake DBLogServer and captures messages which are meant for the real DBLogServer.

What can it be used for?
------------------------
This is a very simple program that can either be used to diagnose problems with RoomEdit, or for people who want to see what RoomEdit actually does when it initializes.

Installation Instructions
-------------------------
1. Place DebugLog.EXE into C:\ (root directory).

2. Double-click on install.reg to edit RoomEdit's settings

3. The program is now ready to run. All you need to do is run RoomEdit, and DebugLog.EXE will run automatically. (RoomEdit actually runs this file itself - no system settings are modified).

Instructions
------------
After installation, RoomEdit will automatically run DebugLog when it starts up. Once it is ran, RoomEdit will start sending it debug messages. When you close RoomEdit, DebugLog will stay running.

All of the messages logged can be viewed anytime by browsing the main window of DebugLog.

To save these messages, go to the File Menu and choose "Export Logged Messages". A file will be created called "C:\ROOMEDIT.LOG" with all of the messages captured. Choosing this command will erase any previous ROOMEDIT.LOG file created.

When DebugLog is quit, it will ask if you want to delete the mapped memory file. This is a file which is shared between RoomEdit and DebugLog. It is completely useless after DebugLog has finished with it as it just contains some of the messages logged during the session. If you want to take a look at this file, then choose No. The mapped memory file is called "C:\ROOMEDIT.MAP".

Other Notes
-----------
! MAKE SURE ONLY ONE DEBUGLOG PROGRAM IS RUNNING AT ANY GIVEN TIME !

This program was written in C++ and Win32 libraries only - no extra libraries such as MFC, Visual Basic, etc were used. Source code is available on request and may be used only if my name (spider907) stays in the About Box.

Please freely distribute this software to anyone!

No future releases of this program are planned.

My e-mail address is enclosed in the ReadMe if you need to contact me.

Thank you for your interest in this program

#:0)

MountainDewNut
25th Nov 2002, 23:39
Awesome!

Lara's Soul
26th Nov 2002, 00:08
Another great tool!
Will the next release of TR Media Player be soon? Can you give us more info as I think it's a very usfull toll. I wish it could start automatically with the level exe or return to the game automatically after a FMV.

Wee Bald Man
26th Nov 2002, 20:54
Originally posted by Lara's Soul
Will the next release of TR Media Player be soon? Can you give us more info as I think it's a very usfull toll. I wish it could start automatically with the level exe or return to the game automatically after a FMV.

Hi Lara's Soul,

The TR Media Player is being worked on at the moment and we are intending to make it a completely seamless experience for both the designer and the game player. It is our intention that it behave in the same way as the original FMV player with the added ability to play every format supported by Windows Media Player.

We had a break after the first release to get feedback and to allow spider907 and myself to finish some commercial work but we are now actively working on the next public release.

I don't want to put a date on when it will be finished because we want to make sure it is bug free and as good as it can be before we release it. But.. I would expect it to be finished early in the New Year if not before.

Thanks for your exe suggestion, we are currently working on a 'one-click' method which will launch the TR Media Player and run the game without any additional setings / setups having to be made by the game player. So the whole operation should be completely invisible to the user. :)

WBM

Driber
11th Dec 2002, 14:48
good work!

just one thing: the regfile can't be used by people on Windows ME or lower, as it was made with Windows 2000 or XP

try including this regfile in the download instead, I adjusted it so that people on 95, 98 and ME can use the regfile as well: http://home.wanadoo.nl/driberif/temp/DebugLog_regfile4.zip

Wee Bald Man
11th Dec 2002, 18:31
Originally posted by DriberBallZ
just one thing: the regfile can't be used by people on Windows ME or lower, as it was made with Windows 2000 or XP

I adjusted it so that people on 95, 98 and ME can use the regfile as well

Thank you DriberBallZ! :) Have added your Regfile to the download and TheMask's LBPR. ReadMe file updated to reflect my gratitude for your uncalled act of wanton kindness! :cool: http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

WBM