PDA

View Full Version : Square Enix: Financial Losses

stealth
7th Aug 2012, 07:04
andriasang.com/con25k/square_enix_loss/ (http://andriasang.com/con25k/square_enix_loss/)

Physical sales are down, digital sales are down

and fans are not happy

they wont last past the next few years

member_10077577
7th Aug 2012, 08:14
Well, the games that were released during that time (Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Heroes of Ruin, Quantum Conundrum) prbably didn't sell that well because of bad marketing (and yes, the less-than-expected results of the Nintendo 3DS). I believe though, that games like Hitman: Absolution is what they expect to get their money back from.

MagiusNecros
7th Aug 2012, 09:14
I POMPOUSLY blame XIII-2.

http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-cool.gif

member_10628951
7th Aug 2012, 10:36
^^^ ;)

member_10723676
7th Aug 2012, 17:22

/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-cool.gif

I'm pretty sure XIII-2 broke even. Not to mention that people were actually willing to buy all of that (for the most part) useless DLC, which I assume did okay.

Also, I heard that they're now focusing on the bigger releases like Hitman, Tomb Raider, and Sleeping Dogs later this year/next year and then things will come back in their favor.

Also, Bravely Default, so hyped for that game. ;)

member_10628951
7th Aug 2012, 18:57

/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-cool.gif

I'm pretty sure XIII-2 broke even. Not to mention that people were actually willing to buy all of that (for the most part) useless DLC, which I assume did okay.

Also, I heard that they're now focusing on the bigger releases like Hitman, Tomb Raider, and Sleeping Dogs later this year/next year and then things will come back in their favor.

Also, Bravely Default, so hyped for that game. ;)

If they ever plan to localize anything ;p. I kid, I'm a kidder.

CPancer
15th Aug 2012, 14:19
Forgive me for being on the know-about of Square-Enix but I am shocked by the titles they carried over to this game developer, I was actually very pleased. Square-Enix to me is like the Yves Saint Laurent of fashion....it's iconic.

I am extremely looking forward to seeing these legendary titles do well under Square-Enix and hopefully bring in good profit from doing so.

FlameDragon_
5th Feb 2013, 07:44
www.vg247.com/2013/02/05/square-enix-fin... (http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/05/square-enix-financials-%C2%A55-7b-loss-amid-increasingly-difficult-console-market/)

Serves them right

moooka
5th Feb 2013, 08:38
Most companies had financial issues recently. Even THQ was shut down. The video game sales were pretty weak last year for all the companies.

Grimoire
5th Feb 2013, 08:53
"The company still has high hopes for its year-end financial report – presumably as Tomb Raider has yet to launch – with its net profit projection sitting at ¥3.5 billion, which is a 42.2% year-on-year decrease."

Neat.

edger_
6th Feb 2013, 16:02
www.vg247.com/2013/02/05/square-enix-fin... (http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/05/square-enix-financials-%C2%A55-7b-loss-amid-increasingly-difficult-console-market/)

Serves them right

Yea its our fault because they dont release the games we want to purchase but gives us junk All the bravest while we forgot on the games we want

www.gamespot.com/news/square-enix-stung-... (http://www.gamespot.com/news/square-enix-stung-by-increasingly-difficult-console-market-6403413)

FinalFantasy107
6th Feb 2013, 16:24
I just wanna play a new final fantasy. I guess this would explain why their not localizing type-0 yet.

moooka
7th Feb 2013, 00:48

Serves them right

Yea its our fault because they dont release the games we want to purchase but gives us junk All the bravest while we forgot on the games we want

www.gamespot.com/news/square-enix-stung-... (http://www.gamespot.com/news/square-enix-stung-by-increasingly-difficult-console-market-6403413)

If you read the report, they're actually making good money from the mobile and social games, their loss is because of the console games, I heard games like Sleeping Dogs which costed them a lot to make wasn't selling as good as they wanted.

Mad_Angel
7th Feb 2013, 04:42

Serves them right

If you read the report, they're actually making good money from the mobile and social games, their loss is because of the console games, I heard games like Sleeping Dogs which costed them a lot to make wasn't selling as good as they wanted.

When a company fails to deliver what their loyal costumers want to buy that is called bad management. And in this particular case it is not difficult to know what the public wants, after all SE fans are so vocal about their opinion... Thus, when people want vsXIII, Type-0, and Bravely Default and SE management decides to go with XIII-2, LR, Sleeping Dogs what were they really expecting for?

nasos_333
7th Feb 2013, 13:44
Here is the trick

Make stunning games like Bravely Default, with smaller budgets and NOT FORGET to release/market them outside Japan

Simple stuff, you play with that you are best at

Square is trying to immitate the terrible MMOs of the west, huge budgets for generic crappy 3D meaningless games

STICK TO WHAT YOU DO BEST, 2D games, with epic amazing stories, incredible art and characters

Many of them, flood the market, we wil lstill buy them

Not generic crappy 3D artless worlds NOONE cares about

And a reminder of Bravely Default art -

gengame.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/b... (http://gengame.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/bravely-default-ff-tgs-2012.jpg)

www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51... (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510483&page=6)

This is actual in game graphics BTW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And in 3D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND WE DONT GET TO PLAY IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAGGGGGGGHHHH its too much to handle !!!!! :)

WHY SQUARE !!!!! ??????? WHY ?????????

FlameDragon_
10th Feb 2013, 16:32
www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51... (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512664)

dq x isnt selling well either, shocker. Wada forced it to be an mmo for profit, but it turned out ****

clean house time for square

destruction7
10th Feb 2013, 17:03
www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51... (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512664)

dq x isnt selling well either, shocker. Wada forced it to be an mmo for profit, but it turned out ****

clean house time for square

you are SURE damn! RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

Square enix should hire you like a counselor

moooka
11th Feb 2013, 00:41
I hope they learned the lesson after DQX and FFXIV: NO MORE MMOS. That's not what the fans want. Dragon Quest games normally sell several million copies in Japan within a few weeks, but DQX's sales were so bad. Why release a subscription-based MMO on the Wii anyway? They wasted their resources on things that could have been much more profitable. Yoichi Wada surely doesn't know how to manage the company properly, hope to see him replaced with someone more intelligent.

elsonSCCP
11th Feb 2013, 02:56
Just some examples that for me could explain a little why this is happening,i think...

First, in my country it is easier to win the lottery than getting the play MMOs of Square Enix, just to register and make payment gives one hell of a job, then still have the small problem of scarce servers in my country and finally even the games are easy to find in stores of games here ..
Second, not all fans enjoy more of a company's superfast internet and computers capable of running the games online, few have the privilege and who does not like me, is not playing and not buy too ...
Third, we have Type 0 not won a U.S. version and not a European version, many people stopped buying the PSP so many expected the game out to buy the PSP just notice several comments on the internet from people who say "I buy the PSP just to play this game " I bought my psp just to play the games in the series again, but mainly because of Type 0 and not played so far,imagine what millions of other fans like me think the same way but wait and not be as rushed as I was they might not buy the PSP and all because the game has not gone to the PSP ... (just an example)...
Bravely Default is another example and Versus XIII without new information, many disappointed fans who were going to buy a PS3 because they would not have done so far without being able to play the game ....
I know it's hard with so much piracy around, there are contracts to be fulfilled and values, but to say that the fault is only the low sales of consoles ...
It is a succession "of errors", all together in the end the result is this, just forget 2012 ...

elsonSCCP
11th Feb 2013, 03:15
Just my opnion sure...

member_10385825
11th Feb 2013, 03:34
I wonder what they're losing faster, their money or their fans?

alanman178
11th Feb 2013, 22:29
It's a shame. Sad, really. I started playing FF games back in 1990 when I was 13 approaching 14 that year. I'm 36 now, and I'm a little upset with SE because of what they've done to the numbered series. I fully expected to see some changes over the years. But, they just got ridiculous with them. Back in the Squaresoft days, the changes that were made were nowhere near as drastic as what we've seen these days. Except with FF10. That's actually when the 'major' changes started to happen. Any long-time FF fan knows that the transformation 'really' started with FF10. I'd think that would be tough to disagree with.

Grimoire
12th Feb 2013, 00:22
Not tough at alll. FFVI <---> FFVII. There you have the most drastic change.

alanman178
13th Feb 2013, 18:50
Not tough at alll. FFVI <---> FFVII. There you have the most drastic change.

I'm talking about the major changes in the games themselves. Not the 'popularity boost' of 1997. Squaresoft promoted the heck out of FF7. If you look at FF1-9, then, look at FF10-14, it's 'extremely' easy to see where and when the series transformed. FF9 <---> FF10. There you have the most drastic change. You suck! lol j/k man.

marcio.campos.7393
13th Feb 2013, 18:59
Square enix old staff most them are out of company the skilled old ones almost have no opinion or power in the company.

Final fantasy 13 have the story most cruel and sad i ever see.

destruction7
13th Feb 2013, 20:08
Loss? their profited more of 800 m to 1 billion of Dollars, in all year and is loss? i never did see a single 1 million of dollars

All you from internet must be kidding.

Grimoire
14th Feb 2013, 02:23
"I'm talking about the major changes in the games themselves. Not the 'popularity boost' of 1997."

So was I. Enough said.

elsonSCCP
15th Feb 2013, 18:50
After Sakaguchi San (Yep i love him and his works) and other good guys go away Final Fantasy was one,today is another one,i don't think that the new games are bad (from 10 to 14) i just think that Square Enix need rethink some things that they are doing,just give a try and play Lost Odyssey you will see for yourself why i'm talking about (after Sakaguchi San)...

WhitePrism
16th Feb 2013, 20:51
Guess this isn't too much of a surprise to me. I only like their Final Fantasy series and Kingdom Heart series....not into violence.

destruction7
25th Mar 2013, 14:19
Enjoy! They not died!.

shadowdogg
26th Mar 2013, 13:45
Here is my business tip for you square. ADVERTISE.

Simply buying great IPs like Tomb Raider or Hitman doesn't mean people will just buy it outright, you got to inform people. It's not only people who are into games who purchase the games but parents and partners.

I seriously hope you don't mess Eidos around because this is not selling 'to your expectations,' you waste TONS of money on them STUPID final fantasy products with that ridiculous lightning. I can't believe you made another one but anyway.

Do use some common sense square...

destruction7
26th Mar 2013, 13:54
They focused a lot of wasting money more FFXIV and Lightning returns.

Mugen_Vtec
26th Mar 2013, 13:56
www.joystiq.com/2013/03/26/square-enix-w... (http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/26/square-enix-weak-sales-tomb-raider-hitman-absolution/)
www.siliconera.com/2013/03/26/despite-st... (http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/26/despite-strong-sales-tomb-raider-sleeping-dogs-hitman-below-expectations/)

I don't know what kind of kool-aid SQEX execs are drinking, but 3.4 million in sales for TR in less than a month is considered 'weak'???!?!?!! Them execs must have their heads up in a cloud...honestly don't know what their train of thought is. Discuss people!

destruction7
26th Mar 2013, 15:29
THey are strange.

LTOLMAN
26th Mar 2013, 17:48
Freaking bogus!!!

I pre ordered Hitman Absolution and Pre Ordered Tomb Raider as a retail sales disc; then they changed their minds and said "nope, sorry digital versions only" and I guess what i'm irritated on, is the fact that we people who bought the game digitally arent included in the sales report.

I really hope Square Enix didnt say "lets plan on shipping 14 Million Console discs" and hope for the best. Yes I know PC Gaming isnt up there with Consoles like Playstation and XBox but seriously.

This is why I think game developers or whomever should start doing a poll taking. "if you plan on buying our game title; which platform would you play it on"?

I'm really sorry Square Enix but I sincerely hope the Digital Versions of these games will help you out enough to where you're not gonna say "all future games are on hold"

I'm a major fan of Tomb Raider and also of Hitman Absolution. I'm loving the games. I also bought Sleeping Dogs digitally on Steam as well.

And if you produce another title of the these titles; I will buy them again on PC only. Im a major PC Gamer; I personally dont care too much for Console games. I will spend 59.99 on a Digital Version of the game if the title appeals to me

PS. After I read the tweet from Square Enix, I immediately stopped reading twitter and hopped here to voice my opinion.

P.P.S. I seriously wanted a Disc Based game for PC but I was kinda forced into Digital. Again, please hurry and tally those that are playing the game digitally and then tell us if your sales are too low! Thanks :)

Persiangato
26th Mar 2013, 18:49
www.joystiq.com/2013/03/26/square-enix-w... (http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/26/square-enix-weak-sales-tomb-raider-hitman-absolution/)
www.siliconera.com/2013/03/26/despite-st... (http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/26/despite-strong-sales-tomb-raider-sleeping-dogs-hitman-below-expectations/)

I don't know what kind of kool-aid SQEX execs are drinking, but 3.4 million in sales for TR in less than a month is considered 'weak'???!?!?!! Them execs must have their heads up in a cloud...honestly don't know what their train of thought is. Discuss people!

It's a little out there, but not too shocking. The IP is well known, it had high budget development, and large marketing campaign.

The kool-aid is definitely out in the industry as Square isn't the only company that press their releases. Look at the recent Devil May Cry game, DMC: Devil May Cry published by CAPCOM. It was orginally expected to take in 5 million in sales, but they lowered that goal to 2 million and finally 1.2 million following poor forecasts. Their previous game in the series, Devil May Cry 4 was expected to sell 4 million since DMC3 sold 2.1 (standard and SE) as it was going multiplat (and looked for 2 million in sales from each). When it sold 2.4, it was a giant failure despite it's rushed development.

CAPCOM's new IP, Dragon's Dogma, was quoted to hit 10 million!

These big budget titles aren't turning out to work in favor for the video game industry. And for some triple A titles it's not uncommon for a marketing cost to come close to or even match the development costs. I wonder how much those superbowl ads, previews before movies, and Coco's Clueless Gamer Reviews actually cost. Aside from that, Square isn't exactly known for having good resource management with their games. The amount of people they put on their average title is absurd. Crystal Dynamics seems more reasonable in that regard though.

Graphic demands are higher, but are costs truly up from earlier on in the current generation? Or is it just marketing and overexpectations?

I'd be happy if the Final Fantasy in the main series was a sprite based.

NiiChan
27th Mar 2013, 01:13
I am angry tht they blame NA for poor sales, but they Love EU. I mean wth I buy and Play all teir games but not the Eidos brand, I like my old SE FF, KH, FM, DQ and so on... Oh and I Loved FF Spirits withing it was an awesome movie.

zoggerblogger
27th Mar 2013, 12:19
Does anybody know what numbers SE expected? They just see, the sales didn't meet the expectations. What by how much? And in what timeframe (long tail, short tail)?

mitcher
27th Mar 2013, 21:21
Honestly, they might want to reconsider always releasing a game at $60. Yes, you'll always have day 1 buyers but people like me are always looking for the best deal. Europe got Sleeping Dogs on PS+ for free on PS3. That, to me, was the best deal. I also bought it on Steam for 4.49 at the beginning of the year due to a brief glitch they had in pricing. I bought Hitman for $25 recently and am waiting on Tomb Raider to drop down to that level. Don't worry Square Enix, you'll get my sale on TR eventually and I already have the HD collections of KH and FFX on pre-order because those are two collections I feel are worth the $40.

leabarbi
28th Mar 2013, 05:59
Thanks for this post.

member_10007499
28th Mar 2013, 12:08
I bought Sleeping Dogs on release day for PS3 and loved it! I wasn't a fan of the Tomb Raider series inthe past, but then I played it at PAX East this weekend and fell in love! The game was amazing! I went out and bought it this week. I'm doing my part! Now I just need more new FF, KH, and DQ games to be released... Those are the games I truly live for!

Mugen_Vtec
3rd Apr 2013, 00:31
Well, here are the numbers of expected sales via gameinformer.com

www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013... (http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/02/corporate-restructuring-leads-to-layoffs-at-square-enix-los-angeles.aspx)

Sleeping Dogs
Actual: 1.75 million units
Expected: 2 - 2.5 million units

Hitman: Absolution
Actual: 3.6 million units
Expected: 4.5 - 5 million units

Tomb Raider
Actual: 3.4 million units
Expected: 5 - 6 million units

But really SQEX? 5-6 mil for TR in 3 weeks? You guys are outta your minds.

Leaferian-379423
3rd Apr 2013, 01:02
Yeah, Square Enix has always predicted way too high. I can't speak as to their advertisements/marketing for the Western side of their products but I know they have a bad habit of weak advertising of their Japanese-made titles such as Final Fantasy. Most people I've talked to didn't even know 4 Heroes of Light (for the DS) even existed until two or three months after its release, for example.

I'd like to point out the bad reporting again though. Square Enix has been talking about the slow console sales for several months, this is not new with the exception of Tomb Raider's addition to the 'missed mark' list. The lower-than-expected sales are not the reason for the restructuring of their company, and it is the restructure that is costing the company the massive amount of money they are posting in their losses for the fiscal year of 2012-2013. Likewise, Wada is not stepping down because Square Enix is losing money; Square Enix is losing money as a result of refreshing their approaches to everything (which includes replacing Wada). I do feel sorry for those people that lost their jobs, but I hope the new direction the company takes will see marked improvements in ther overall quality and reputation of their various brands.

destruction7
3rd Apr 2013, 01:23
Using These great titles to cover all losses in FFXIV That´s a shame!