PDA

View Full Version : A New Tomb Raider Game Is Coming

Tihocan
8th Dec 2017, 03:06
Announcement on the Tomb Raider twitter:

https://twitter.com/tombraider/status/938815473478615040

Mike_B
8th Dec 2017, 03:59
If you take the first letter of each sentence it looks like it spells out SHADOW : someone figured that out on twitter

[edit]

Looks like no exclusive this time either (well I hope) as Playstation exec mentioned during Game Awards that Tomb Raider is coming.

Rai
8th Dec 2017, 21:57
I'm glad to see finally official confirmation that a game is coming. Looks like 2018 is going to be a good year for TR.

Tihocan
9th Dec 2017, 00:18
If you take the first letter of each letter it looks like it spells out SHADOW : someone figured that out on twitter
That is AWESOME.

Looks like no exclusive this time either (well I hope) as Playstation exec mentioned during Game Awards that Tomb Raider is coming.
That's good to hear. Publishers should try to do less of the Bad Things (extended exclusives, non-cosmetic loot boxes, etc). Too much drahma.

BlueSkiesXXV
9th Dec 2017, 09:27
Great stuff!!! Finally a bit of news :).
I know that there is still a movie in the works, but I was starting to think that TR as a gaming franchise was done.

Lara_Fan_84
10th Dec 2017, 23:54
I am excited for this game and that the series has been successful enough for the games to continue being made. I just hope it won't be Playstation VR exclusive. I don't plan on getting a PS VR. I was bummed when I found out they are making a sequel to Until Dawn and it is pretty much a prequel but it's PS VR exclusive.

KManX89
12th Dec 2017, 18:35
This one might be made by Eidos Montreal if early leaks is anything to go by. (https://kotaku.com/name-of-next-tomb-raider-leaks-because-guy-had-it-open-1788419554)

Keep in mind: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag was revealed in much the same manner when Ubisoft Montreal employees were discovered with a presentation for the game onboard an airplane a few years ago, so it could very well turn out to be true. It makes sense for CD to hand it off since they're already tied up with the Avengers game and potential future Marvel games (X-Men?) or a new Legacy of Kain, especially since Eidos were pretty much the owners of TR until SE bought them out.

Mike_B
13th Dec 2017, 10:32
Eidos Montreal already worked on TR in the past, if I recall they did some of Tombs in Rise? Hard to say though who is working on what without official announcements. I don't think we know the studio head count of both CD or EM so it's hard to guess based on that too.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by your last sentence but CD was already part of Eidos before the SE aquisition and Eidos Montreal was founded after I think.

[Edit]

What we do know is that multiple western dev studios are assigned to the Marvel IP(s).
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-11-27-east-meets-west-yosuke-matsuda-on-growing-square-enixs-global-empire

[edit2]

Actually based on this interview: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-11-22-its-not-hitman-without-io-why-square-enix-set-the-franchise-free

Where the CEO says that Hitman wouldn't be Hitman without IOI, it wouldn't be too far fetched that they take the same view regarding the TR franchise, ie. TR wouldn't be the same without CD at the helm.

KManX89
13th Dec 2017, 13:56
^Right, but at the time, CD was merely an internal studio of Eidos, the parent company. CD still retained in-house development rights since both studios were acquired by SE, but the implication now according to the leak is that Eidos (now an in-house studio of SE) might be in charge of developing the next game.

It's possible CD might still be involved in some way, but it could just be in an oversight role similar to Eidos Montreal helping out with the Avengers game (and RoTTR). SE signed a multi-game deal with Marvel, the second of which is a Guardians of the Galaxy game which has been helmed off to EM, their other Western studio. There have also been rumors circulating that CD is working on either a new IP or new Legacy of Kain for some time, and they'll certainly be tied to the third Marvel game (rumors suggest an X-Men game (https://www.cbr.com/facts-and-rumors-avengers-game/)), so their hands are full ATM.

It definitely lends credence to TR3/SOTTR being handed off to EM as does the manner in which it was leaked (PP presentation from a guy onboard a Montreal train reminiscent of AC:BF's leak).

a_big_house
14th Mar 2018, 12:51
Stolen from the Facebook page;

MARCH 15TH, 2018 6:00AM PDT
width=350

Also the TR website has been updated and there's hidden goodies in the source code... *cough*releasedate*cough*

EDIT: As a side note, I'm going to be in the cinema watching the movie when this happens. I will be leaving screaming.

Rai
14th Mar 2018, 16:39
Looking forward to seeing what the new Shadow of the Tomb Raider forum will look like.:nut:

This forum needs a jumping or excitement emote.

Apparently a 10 second teaser is being shown before the movie.

a_big_house
14th Mar 2018, 20:17
Looking forward to seeing what the new Shadow of the Tomb Raider forum will look like.:nut:

This forum needs a jumping or excitement emote.

Apparently a 10 second teaser is being shown before the movie.

Like the current one :whistle:

:lol:

I've heard about the teaser! I've forewarned my friend that if they show a teaser I will likely pee myself.

dark7angel
14th Mar 2018, 22:21
Finally some news on the new game!

I've seen some screenshots from that 10 sec teaser and it looks like we're going to Yucatan, Mexico! There were some Mayan pyramids, some lush jungles... the quality of the photos wasn't very good, but it looked quite atmospheric.

I'm very curious to know if this new game will feel different from the previous two, since Eidos Montreal has taken over development, or if it will stick with the same formula.

Hopefully, this will bring this forum back to life...

Tihocan
15th Mar 2018, 01:23
So it appears some goose accidentally leaked the release date on the TR page. :D

"tagline":"Shadow of The Tomb Raider is the climatic finale of Lara's origin story. Available September 14th 2018"
The "finale" part makes me wonder - is this the last TR game? Or is this the last game before we get the "Old School" sassy Lara back?

Rai
15th Mar 2018, 08:14
I'm like 90% certain it means the final part to the origins trilogy. I'm sure we'll see more of RBLara, just that she'll be fully a tomb raider accepting of who she is and going on adventures just for herself.

I wouldn't expect RBLara to suddenly turn into old school sassy Lara at all, or for RBLara to end and classic Lara to make a return, though I suppose what happens after Shadow depends on Shadow's success. But if SotTR succeeds, RBLara will remain, just as a fully confident raider. I suppose CD or EM may tweak the gameplay formula to help keep it fresh, I dunno :p.

dark7angel
15th Mar 2018, 14:05
Here it is:

oXXUmbZqfR4

I'm a little disappointed it's just a tiny teaser and we have to wait over a month for the full reveal...

d1n0_xD
15th Mar 2018, 17:13
Damn, this forum is not as alive as it used to be xD

KManX89
15th Mar 2018, 19:07

Nope, it's still pretty barren even after the SotTR teaser. Maybe it'll be back to normal after we get the full reveal, but I wouldn't get my hopes up too much.

dark7angel
15th Mar 2018, 20:00
Some additional information about Shadow:

- SOTTR Gameplay Demo Will Debute at Tribeca Film Festival (https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/tribeca-film-festival-shadow-of-the-tomb-raidr/)

For the seventh year in a row, video games will have a presence at the Tribeca Film Festival. And it sounds like those in attendance will get a good look at a particularly exciting AAA title that was very recently announced — Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

On April 27 at 4 p.m. ET, Square Enix’s Crystal Dynamics team will take the stage to discuss the reboot series that has brought on a Lara Croft resurgence thanks to the quality of both 2013’s Tomb Raider and 2015’s Rise of the Tomb Raider. Senior game director Daniel Bisson, franchise creative director Noah Hughes, writer Jill Murray, senior brand director Rich Briggs, and actress Camilla Luddington (who voices Lara) will be in discussion with Geoff Keighley (producer of The Game Awards). The panel will debut an “exclusive extended gameplay demo” of Shadow of the Tomb Raider, the third entry in the current Tomb Raider series that launches September 14 on PS4, Xbox One, and PC.

Driber
15th Mar 2018, 20:20
New section is up - https://forums.eu.square-enix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=459

No kidding.

https://i.imgur.com/oEMYqpJ.png

;)

KManX89
17th Mar 2018, 13:27
New section is up - https://forums.eu.square-enix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=459

No kidding.

https://i.imgur.com/oEMYqpJ.png

;)

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here, it was dead long before then. :p

And I see it hasn't changed even after the SotTR announcement.

a_big_house
17th Mar 2018, 14:49

And I'm not sure why you're always complaining.
Do you really expect people to flood to the forums over a 10 second very dark video?
We all knew it was going to be called Shadow, the only thing they did was reveal a reveal date.

I'd also like to point out that if you google "Tomb Raider forum" this place is the second option - I imagine most people will be heading to the first.

Anyway.
Teaser was good, had to slow it down to look at some of the details (like the axe in the background behind the armed guy). Looking forward to seeing more!

Driber
19th Mar 2018, 08:04
I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here, it was dead long before then. :p

The point that went over your head is that we have a bunch of people here complaining about low traffic while not doing anything about it themselves.

Here we have the very first teaser trailer released after years of silence and the only post made on the forum by Dino is about the state of the forum, nothing about the trailer, nada, zip, zilch.

Surely you can see the irony there. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. It's like, to use an analogy that should be right up your ally, feminists complaining about "not enough women in STEM" all the while not choosing a career in STEM themselves and all of them going for gender studies instead, contributing to the "low" number of women in STEM :p

Exactly :lol:

Where are all your posts about the game since the announcement, KMan? Let's have a looksy here....

https://i.imgur.com/UX2fyfQ.png

Wow, a grand total of ZERO :rasp:

And I'm not sure why you're always complaining.
Do you really expect people to flood to the forums over a 10 second very dark video?
We all knew it was going to be called Shadow, the only thing they did was reveal a reveal date.

There's that, too, yeah.