PDA

View Full Version : Let's discuss: Voice Acting in FINAL FANTASY

sqex_3549569
11th Aug 2012, 16:37
Only a handful of titles in the entire FINAL FANTASY library have used Voice Acting, but with the current generation and next generation systems rarely leaving out this storytelling tool, what aspects of voice acting have you liked/disliked, championed/disdained, cheered/jeered in previous titles and what would you like to see going forward?

---

More, I am saying would you pay for the International versions of the games?

Also, would you like Japanese voice OPTION for future FF's?

For those that don't know, usually SE, after overseas release, eventually release an international version. These often contain many extra features that almost make them new games. For example FFX, and XII international. Unfortunately Square doesn't seem to want to release these overseas, bar FFX international in the PAL version.

Now also, I bolded the word option for the original voices to emphasize that it is dual audio, meaning, there is a English track also, and you don't have to use the Japanese, if you don't like it and can switch.

For me YEAH! I would definitely rebuy the international version of FF games for their extra features, and I would also like a Japanese voice option, to replay the game in, after I beat it :)

So what about you?

member_10159804
11th Aug 2012, 18:31
If the FFX HD remake ends up being the international one, I'd most certainly get it. I sure want to try to take on the Dark Aeons.

member_10074094
11th Aug 2012, 18:32
I would personally buy and play these, but to be honest I don't see American's rebuying a game that they already bought, expecially if the international version is released a few months or years after the original. There isn't enough money to be made to be worth it to SE

DerekMaverick
11th Aug 2012, 18:58
I just think they shouldn't even make a international or Final mix version. If it's that important, PUT IT IN THE FIRST GAME! I don't like how they make new versions but being a sucker, yes I would buy them.

Azure
11th Aug 2012, 21:59
Dissidia Final Fantasy 012 , FF XIII and XIII-2 have Asian Version ( English Text and japan Voice ) . FFXIII-2 asian Version release before US and EU version and It had new DLC at the same time with JP Version so as long as their games is not release in Nintendog system ( because region lock ), we will have FF games with japan voice and English Text in the future

onigiri619
11th Aug 2012, 22:27
Topic More, I am saying would you pay for the International versions of the games? Also, would you like Japanese voice OPTION for future FF's? For those that don't know, usually SE, after overseas release, eventually release an international version. These often contain many extra features that almost make them new games. For example FFX, and XII international. Unfortunately Square doesn't seem to want to release these overseas, bar FFX international in the PAL version. Now also, I bolded the word option for the original voices to emphasize that it is dual audio, meaning, there is a English track also, and you don't have to use the Japanese, if you don't like it and can switch. For me YEAH! I would definitely rebuy the international version of FF games for their extra features, and I would also like a Japanese voice option, to replay the game in, after I beat it :) So what about you?

They should hire you for being the messaih of brilliant ideas cuz i agree whole heartedly.

Automaton
11th Aug 2012, 22:35
They're capable of doing it.

You only need to look to Star Ocean: the Last Hope International to see proof. Japanese voice, menu text and UI.

Yes, it's something I'd like to see, and possibly buy-- especially where Final Fantasy games are concerned.

member_10078668
12th Aug 2012, 01:56
I just think they shouldn't even make a international or Final mix version. If it's that important, PUT IT IN THE FIRST GAME! I don't like how they make new versions but being a sucker, yes I would buy them.

Wholeheartedly agree. (Except on the whole buying them again, which I don't have the extra cash for.)

But I would like it if future FFs have dual audio in case they pick bad voice actors/actresses for the English version. Nothing ruins a game quite like bad voice acting.

DerekMaverick
12th Aug 2012, 13:33
I don't think I remember them ever having a bad voice actor/actress but yus, the option needs to be included with english subs.

Exentryk
12th Aug 2012, 20:47
I feel that all Final Fantasies should come with the original Japanese Audio option, and with English Subtitles. I watch all animes with Japanese audio and English subs and no reason why Japanese games should be any different. Having said that, the English Voices and the accents in games don't bother me that much.

sqex_3549569
12th Aug 2012, 21:04
Ahh, well I like the English track very much too *cough Balthier*cough :) However, sometimes I think it is very refreshing to hear the other voices, even if the English ones are fine. To be honest though, for FF13, the Japanese is much better IMO than the English. But as for the others, both are almost as good to me.

And really there is no reason to omit it either. I like you think, it should come with it, if possible, in it.

DerekMaverick
12th Aug 2012, 21:34
@Z

Really? I thought that the English actors where MUCH better than the JP actors. Sazh and Snow sound really weird, but that's just my opinion. Not trying ta be a yerk.

member_10078668
13th Aug 2012, 04:07
I don't think I remember them ever having a bad voice actor/actress but yus, the option needs to be included with english subs.

*coughTiduscough*

DerekMaverick
13th Aug 2012, 11:00
I actually didn't think that Tidus was all that bad. I can understand why people would have a problem with it though.

Ashetaka
13th Aug 2012, 11:26
I would warmly welcome the option to have the ability to switch to an English dub with the original japanese voice work. I found the English voice actors they hired to portray classic characters from Final Fantasy VII in Advent Children to be borderline atrocious. For this reason, anytime I go to watch the film, I keep it in Japanese.

In any future releases/remasters SE plans to do, I feel having the option to alter the VO language to be quite pivotal.

sqex_3549569
13th Aug 2012, 12:27
@ DerekMaverick

Sure! I understand it is your opinion :) IDK, you are right Snow and Sazh English is better. I agree with that. I think I said that out of liking Lightning's Hope and Vanille's lol in Japanese. Fang is indifferent to me in both languages. But you are definitely right about Snow and Sazh IMO

So, pretty much everyone one here so far, agrees, it should stay. And what the person above said, I do think it is an important feature, especially for those of us that replay the game. And there really aren't that many translation changes, as I watched FFX in Japanese with English subs, and if my knowledge is correct, they are literally saying the same thing in Japanese that was dubbed, unlike Anime where the lines are completely different in each version.

DerekMaverick
13th Aug 2012, 16:19
They do tend to stay towards the same lines just translated and fixed to make the english sound more clear and concise. But the earlier Ted Woolsey translations are not the same! :D

ximacintoshix
14th Jan 2013, 23:25
I've always wondered how much better X through XIII-2 would have been with japanese voices instead of the english voices. I can't stand watching anime with english voices, and the newer naruto games usually have a DLC of a japanese voice option.

moooka
15th Jan 2013, 01:17
There's one version of XIII and also XIII-2 that has that option (English text, Japanese voices). I am talking about this:

www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70... (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-3sck.html)

www.play-asia.com/Final_Fantasy_XIII2_En... (http://www.play-asia.com/Final_Fantasy_XIII2_English_Chinese_Subtitles_Version/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-4f7c.html)

They are out of print though, but there's this kinda expensive dual pack:

www.play-asia.com/Final_Fantasy_XIIIXIII... (http://www.play-asia.com/Final_Fantasy_XIIIXIII2_Dual_Pack_English_Chinese_Version/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70-59ux.html)

One of the Asian versions of Lightning Returns will also have the same treatment.

Goma999
15th Jan 2013, 01:31
I've always wondered how much better X through XIII-2 would have been with japanese voices instead of the english voices. I can't stand watching anime with english voices, and the newer naruto games usually have a DLC of a japanese voice option.

Always said the same thing, poor english acting, but FFX wasen't that bad, compare to XIII and didn't bother with XIII-2. I wish they still kept it silent, like the old ones, prefer reading them threw with no voices.

imagen what they would sound like, keep that in your imagenation.

Grimoire
15th Jan 2013, 04:03
[options for subs in games (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139231/29596119/options_for_subs_in_games)]

Popcicle
4th Feb 2013, 20:10
Only a handful of titles in the entire FINAL FANTASY library have used Voice Acting, but with the current generation and next generation systems rarely leaving out this storytelling tool, what aspects of voice acting have you liked/disliked, championed/disdained, cheered/jeered in previous titles and what would you like to see going forward?

member_10660568
4th Feb 2013, 22:18
The battle commentary in FFX and FFX-2 is perfect. It sets the mood, contributes to characterization, and makes grinding a lot more fun.

Auron's confidence, Tidus' naivety, Rikku's perkiness, Yuna's innocence, Lulu's level-headedness, and Wakka's goofiness all come out with the voice acting and make the characters that much more endearing.

Voice acting is more than just a technological advance, it is a way for characters to express themselves and give you a window to their souls!

Personal favorite from FFX = Auron: "Enough." And from FFX-2 = Rikku: "I'm gonna whack you good!"

KIEI916
5th Feb 2013, 00:47
For voice acting I am one who loves the original voice acting. (japanese) Not to say there is anything wrong with the english cast, but It feels at times to me(just my opinion) that the original japanese cast can portray more emotion at times when the english voice may not quiet get it. That may come from hearing more often than not in watching the anime that I do the original voices, thus I'm more used to hearing things done in japanese. I know of many people who enjoy the english cast, and that is fine.

It would be nice to be able to ,in future games, select between the diffrent languages. So that those of us who enjoy the original cast can do just that,and those who would prefer the english cast can do that as well.

Of all the voice casts for final fantasy My favorite would be FFXII. The voices did seem to go well with the characters in the english version,(though I still prefered the japanese version). I know that the voices seemed to have english style accents, but that seemed to go well with how it played. It gave balthier a sort of sophistication that he may have lacked if done in a normal tone. Fran to me seemed more mysterious becuase of how she spoke, and that gave the watcher the belief that she was mature, and knowledged.

Of final fantasy X It has been so long that I don't remember the voices that well, or maybe they just weren't that memorable (my opinion) I didn't dislike the voices of ffXIII, but again it seems as though they didn't really stick with me much. Maybe it's that when I see the trailer's when they first come out, usually it's in japanese so then I become acustom to hearing it that way. The most memorable thing I have for ffx is when I saw a japanese trailer for it. Tidus was doing a narative while to zanarkand was playing in the backround. It was beautiful, and one of the reasons I decided to purchase the game(though I usually buy most ff's that come out)

As I have said, I am used to hearing the voices in japanese, so to me alot of the times once I hear the english cast, I am disappointed. again it's not to say they are doing a bad job at all, just that to me it doesn't feel as real as it could. there have been other games not done by square enix, that I have quiet playing all together becuase of the voices, so at least that hasn't happened yet with a ff.

oh and on a final note, FFXIV. I honestly didn't like the voices much at all, or at least some of them. I struggled to turn down the volume, and missed some beautiful music, all becuase I coudn't stand to hear the voices anymore.

thank you for listening, and again everything stated above was purely my opinion. thanks again ^ ^

Grimoire
5th Feb 2013, 03:55
Japanese voices with english subtitles - na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235... (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29628907/Japanese_voices_with_english_subtitles)

options for subs in games - na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139231... (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139231/29596119/options_for_subs_in_games)

Which English voices would you like to see the most in Type-0? - na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235... (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29633073/Which_English_voices_would_you_like_to_see_the_most_in_Type-0)

A dual language voice option would be much appreciated, ssu!

SREPCfg-363537
5th Feb 2013, 08:22
Usually i don't give much importance to voice acting, but the industry of videogames need to evolve, surely i prefer japanese original voices,

but because i'm italian, i wish to an italian voice acting too....(i know that's not ever possible).

moooka
5th Feb 2013, 08:34
Voice acting is not really that important to me, maybe my standards aren't very high, I am more interested in the gameplay itself. I look at it as a good addition though. For the past Square Enix games, voice acting was mostly very well done. Square Enix hired talented voice actors especially in Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy games.

loony_bob
5th Feb 2013, 15:38
I adore good voice acting, although I know that my standards are different to others. I couldn't stand Tidus/Yuna/Seymour, but I adored Snow/Sazh/Vanille. Snow in particular is probably my favourite so far. Balthier was pretty great, too.

If you want to know the favourite voice acting I've ever seen in a game, it's that of The Longest Journey / Dreamfall (particularly the latter). Still, XII, XIII & XIII-2 were all just fine for me. Some people will always dislike certain voices and accents, that's normal... but as far as the acting ability goes I've yet to really see a huge problem in recent years. So, good job?

Hala
5th Feb 2013, 16:11
Cloud's Japanese voice (especially the performance) is way better than the English one which is- in my opinion-sounds lifeless and always at the same rhythm no matter what emotion the spoken line is trying to convey.

FatSqueek
6th Feb 2013, 09:09
XII had good voice acting. It also had good writing.

hyne--
6th Feb 2013, 13:59
My favorite games mostly don't have voice acting and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be my favorites if they had it. No voice acting allows for more imagination and emphasizes the background music. Making a game with no voice acting can evidently result in a good product, while a game with bad voice acting can most definitely ruin what might otherwise be a good game.

That said, I enjoyed Final Fantasy XII's voice acting the most, it was amazing. Voice acting in Final Fantasy XIII sounded bad to me so I went for the Asian version of the game. It was a great decision as the voice acting didn't bother me at all (apart from Dajh), something that would be a great obstacle if I opted for the English version. Voice acting in other Square Enix games was generally fine. Dissidia Final Fantasy had both great and awful voice acting. The Japanese version was mostly good, but some of the English voices are much more suting. The English version on the other hand, while it had some spectacular voice choices, it also had some absolutely horrid choices. That's the bane of voice acting, the good only adds to what already is a good character, while the bad can completely ruin a good character.

It would be great if you provided both voice tracks in your releases--if not straight out of the box, then via DLC at least.

alanman178
6th Feb 2013, 19:51
XII had good voice acting. It also had good writing.

I agree. I think FF12 has the best voice acting of the numbered series. I don't remember rolling my eyes at all during my playthrough. lol The only thing I didn't like about the game was the License Board. I thought SE could've done a little better with it. Maybe with "Job License Boards" that offered certain bonuses depending on which Job you had equipped. Anyway, the voice acting was superb IMO.

FatSqueek
6th Feb 2013, 21:54
The VAs for XIII were talented, but they couldn't save it from that script.

elsonSCCP
8th Feb 2013, 15:03
Options for Japanese and English voice could be good for me,just like the last game i played Lost Odyssey for xbox 360,i love the japanese voices on Final Fantasy.

keikoku01
14th Feb 2013, 22:24
I really love the release of FINAL FANTASY XIII and FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 Asian Version with Japanese voice and English subtitle. I hope Square Enix will do some re-release to old product in Asian Version for the title :

FINAL FANTASY X International
FINAL FANTASY X-2 International + Last Mission
FINAL FANTASY XII International Zodiac Job System
DIRGE OF CERBERUS -FINAL FANTASY VII-
CRISIS CORE -FINAL FANTASY VII-
DISSIDIA FINAL FANTASY
FINAL FANTASY Type-0

in japanese voice and english subtitle. I want to hear the original voice of Zack, Cloud, Tidus, and Vaan but I really don't understand the Kanji if the Menu Language in Japan.

Oh, and I hope Square Enix will re-release or porting FINAL FANTASY V , VI, XII Revenant Wing, Tactics Advance, Tactics Advance 2: Grimoire of the Rift, Before Crisis : FINAL FANTASY VII, and Dirge of Cerberus: Lost Episode for PS3, PSVita, PSP, or the upcoming PS4 (with Japanese voice and English subtitle for XII Revenant Wing).

As for Cloud, Squall, and other protagonist of FINAL FANTASY appear in Kingdom Hearts series, I hope they will re-release the series in Asian Version too.

I hope in 25th anniversary they will make the fans happy :D

Long live Square Enix

Grimoire
15th Feb 2013, 02:49
[General Forum Guidelines (/go/thread/view/139233/29068965/General_Forum_Guidelines)]

[Please use the search function placed at the top of the forum to see if your questions have already been answered. If there happens to be a thread with similar topics, please divert your questions to that particular thread.]

[options for subs in games (/go/thread/view/139231/29596119/options_for_subs_in_games)]

[Let's discuss: Voice Acting in FINAL FANTASY (/go/thread/view/139235/29759519/Lets_discuss:_Voice_Acting_in_FINAL_FANTASY)]

KrelboynekidZidane
26th Feb 2013, 23:30

I agree with most people that XII has the best acting.

But I also would like to ccmpliment the casting directors for Final Fantasy X. I think Wakka's voice was YOUR MAN for that part. Wakka kind of looked like a pacific islander mixed with caucasian. He kind of remembered me of George Lopez' voice a little bit. James also did a good job playing the cool kick back jock type.

I personally also want to compliment Vincent Martella for doing a fine job as HOPE. A lot of people might have found his voice irritating. But his voice was NOT irritating. He is what a 16 year old boy who lost his mom is supposed to sound like. Maybe, Operation Nora, might have not been realistic. LOL. I hope people could see that his character was played really passionately and genuninely. I think Vincent Martella made some good acting "choices" where he wanted his character to go. It is hard to cry, especially on queue.

Summary: Best Actor Performing in a FF video game.

James Arnold Taylor: Tidus (He also gets additional brownie points for being diplomatic with his fans)

Vincent Martella: Hope

All background voices: Final Fantasy XII

Gideon Emory: Baltheir (nice, manly man shakespearean voice)

KrelboynekidZidane
26th Feb 2013, 23:56
I was reading the other admin's post about acting, and it gave me the idea about commenting about who you would like to hear in the next Final Fantasy series that has NOT been DEVELOPED.

Here are some of my ideas/characterizations:

Callan Mcauliffe: He is a very brilliant and versatile actor who can do american nasal voices as well as Ausse (australian) voices. He was the kid who played Sam in "I am Number 4." I think he could pull off some medevil type of voice that is both mature and young at the same time.

Patrick Stewart: He'd probably ask for 25 million dollars and say what the heck is Final Fantasy! Is is some kidish game? I will not partake in it. What jonathan frakes is in it? Okay, cast me......... Patrick Stewart is a very good shakespearean actor, who can pull off anything.

Jeremy Irons: His voice is just sends chills down my spine. Just think if he played the bad guy.

Nathan Kress. While, Nathan may be less popular, I think he is good at playing his character type, which is a young guy who is playful. IF Final Fantasy casted Nathan Kress, that final Fantasy would be a major cash cow and sell tons of units. His voice may not be appealing to some adults, but if he plays a teenager, he will be right for the part. I also would like to see him expand his horizons a little more. He would be good as a supporting character type. Maybe a kid in a village? Very talented young man.

Keir Gilchrist: Again, he is the Nathan Kress kind of type. Young man. If Nathan was not available, use Keir.

Phillip Quast. He is one of the best Javert's ever to graced the stage in a Les Miserable showing. REally deep. He says things with a strong
conviction. He knows what he wants.

And of course, whoose dream is it not to be casted in a Final Fantasy video game? I wish I could play a minor character. It would be any fans dream. Is it not?

..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />

Mitsuki
27th Feb 2013, 19:26
The battle commentary in FFX and FFX-2 is perfect. It sets the mood, contributes to characterization, and makes grinding a lot more fun.

Auron's confidence, Tidus' naivety, Rikku's perkiness, Yuna's innocence, Lulu's level-headedness, and Wakka's goofiness all come out with the voice acting and make the characters that much more endearing.

Voice acting is more than just a technological advance, it is a way for characters to express themselves and give you a window to their souls!

Agreed.

Voice-acting is more than just reading the script. While I agree that FFXII had some great VAs overall, I personally found it to be dull. But it's the type of environment they were in as well, so I didn't see a lot of that vibrant energy in FFXII that I saw and loved in FFX. It's a matter of personal taste too. I prefer to hear the personality that the VA is giving life to into that character. FFX had a wide variety to go with, so it stood out to me the most.

FatSqueek
28th Feb 2013, 07:30
But it also had Tidus.

alanman178
1st Mar 2013, 20:27
Yea, the only problem I had with Tidus was his voice. I didn't much like his voice in the Japanese version either. It was his voice I liked the least of all the voices in the game. It figures, the voice I liked the least had to be the one that was heard the most due to Tidus being the main character. lol Oh well.

FatSqueek
1st Mar 2013, 22:52
Vaan is better than Tidus.

new_tradition
2nd Mar 2013, 22:12
I actually never really had a problem with Tidus' VA. His dialog and early game personality (along with his daddy complex) created scenes that made me go "ugh" at times, but the actual voice? I thought it was fine. I thought FFX debued amazingly well as the first FF game with full voice work, and in general, one of the earlier PS2 games with great VA work to boot.

FatSqueek
3rd Mar 2013, 00:11
X had decent talent behind it, but the recording technology used was poor. XII was similar, only the talent more than made up for the tech.

ProtosHeis
3rd Mar 2013, 07:56
Politics makes any thing intriguing. FF12 had that and more. It's the only final fantasy game I know of that was mostly score 10 out of 10 in gamer mags. Very very mature theme and I enjoyed it all. You guys should release the glorious game in HD also in my expert opinion. The voice acting was the best overall the accents and phrases that was use was one of a kind. To me Square Enix fall off after the release of then next generation of consoles.
I want to play a Final Fantasy game is all I'm conveying to this thread. I want exploration and huge rare and very difficult enemies to fight. Items to gather to create a chance to create a Ultima weapon for the first time in my life. I'm not new to the series but I will be new to your mmorpg that will be released soon.
This will be my second mmorpg that I played in my life. I would like to see voice acting in your Final Fantasy XIV:A Realm Reborn to go with the cutscences to living it up alot.

FatSqueek
3rd Mar 2013, 11:33
I like this new guy. Play Vagrant Story. You'll like it.

LennethLionK3
6th Mar 2013, 00:41
It's my opinion that SE has done very well with choosing thier VA's. The only voice I particularly didn't enjoy was Vaan's, although that may be stemmed from my distaste of his character in general. If anything, context and direction could have been a little better for me in a few instances. For example, Snow and Serah's reunion in FFXIII-2 should have been more heart warming and had more "fireworks", for it seemed a little bland in my eyes.

I believe FFX's approach to introduce the world and it's environment thru Tidus' dialog, being affected by Sin's poison, was very clever and easier for people to immediately feel connected to the game's chacters and storyline, and to be able to follow it with ease.

On the other hand, FFXIII takes a different approach and throws you into a world that takes time and patience to fully understand with its dialog, however, to me, it makes the game more fluid and raises its replay value.

I do believe the VA seems to have fallen off slightly with each new FF game, but only in the direction of tempo in the dialog during certain scenes.

As for my favorite character, I love how Yuna's VA portrays her character as a shy yet determined individual, and the way she subtly tries to hide her depression of thier long journey to Zanarkand from her guardians by keeping an upbeat attitude, although they can see right thru it. Something that would have been very hard to convey thru text alone.

member_10012998
7th Mar 2013, 14:35
Overall I guess I would prefer not to have voice acting. The SE games that have it are ok but sometimes they get a character with such a annoying voice, Rikku anyone? And it ruins it for me, so now I have that voice of that character in my head always. When you read the character text without voice acting you tend to make better voices in your head for the characters I think. But overall I don't mind, it seems every game now is doing this and it is becoming the norm.

member_10628951
7th Mar 2013, 18:34

For me its kind of hit or miss. So I will go through the games I did like and why I liked them:

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - I liked everyones voice acting in this game. It felt believable. The script felt like it was written for people to voice. All the actors did their part and put emotion in their voices when it mattered. It didnt feel like they were reading of a piece of paper. Every cutscene felt like a reward to watch and listen to.

Final Fantasy X - This game was done very well in the voice acting department. There are a few points in the game where I cringed (Titus Laugh Scene will forever haunt my dreams), but overall it was a very solid effort.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Bad script writing and narritive aside, I thought the actors who voiced Caius and Noel did a very good job at bringing those characters to life. They really "understood" their characters and the archtypes they fell into. Hope's voice actor was better that time around too.

Hope for Future Installments:

From what I have heard from the Japanese voice actors from Final Fantasy Versus XIII, you guys are on the right track. I really cannot think of anyone at the moment who could voice Noctis but I am sure you guys can find that person. Lets try to avoid high pitched people though ;).

member_10168025
13th Mar 2013, 17:04
I have mostly enjoyed the voice acting. Many people have had their complaints but every person is different and I'm glad these types of things are portrayed in-game.

From the newest voices like Noel Kreiss, Serah Farron, to Hope Estheim, back to Fran, Penelo, Tidus, Rikku, Paine, and even further back, bringing voices to previously voiceless characters such as Squall Leonhart, Cloud Strife, etc. I think they each have their own peronality in the voice its self, and the voice seems to fit the character very well.

The only complaint I have had is the voices in FFXII seemed like they had a pretty bad recording studio, or the transfer into the game caused some kind of distortion, they just sounded kind of off.

Invicta_Caelus
18th Mar 2013, 15:27
I don't really mind if a game goes either way with Voice Acting or just text in popup boxes. The only thing I want is commitment to whatever is chosen. I started playing FFIX again the other day and I couldn't care less that I was reading since I read faster than most voice acting anyway. As long as the communication is dedication to the character and the story, it doesn't really make a difference. If it is executed well then it should still be immersive and engaging.There should not be a lot of off sync and/or typos. And in regard to something I've been seeing in other companies games recently, there should under no circumstances be times when a scene cuts it's self off because of a some unknown sync faliure and skips over story. (I'm through will a certain assassin franchise)

There was only one game recently that I've played (I haven't played many however) that has had really good voice acting, but a lot of the game was essentially an Anime anyway.

I thought the voice acting in X, XII and XIII were fine, but I would agree that something was slightly off in XII

destruction7
22nd Mar 2013, 13:23

Personal favorite from FFX = Auron: "Enough." And from FFX-2 = Rikku: "I'm gonna whack you good!"

You are forgetting Cutscenes acts.

member_10162287
6th Apr 2013, 22:13
I am probably in the minority here that I prefer English VO over Japanese. As an Asian I grew up on Japanese animations, and I did find early English adaptations a little awkward and preferred Japanese. But in recent years I find myself leaning more towards English VOs, even with games that offer both voice tracks. SE has a pretty good track record so far. I agree with most people here, that FFXII has the best English voices. XIII and XIII-2 are also good.

Sometimes I really wonder why people hate a certain English voice. Take Vanille for example, I listened to both English and Japanese voices, and they sounded exactly the same. It almost seems like hating for hating's sake. Is it because they can understand the English dialogue and not Japanese so that makes the Japanese more tolerable? I don't know...

BTW, I love the care and details SE puts into lip synching :)

Grimoire
7th Apr 2013, 03:07
Hmm...I personally think that her Japanese voice sounds cuter and more "honest", for some reason...and several Japanese gamers I have talked with about FFXIII (who have completed both versions) think so as well. Well, to each their own.

FatSqueek
7th Apr 2013, 10:38
Too squeaky need less squeak.

Grimoire
7th Apr 2013, 10:50
Fat Squeak?

member_10718990
7th Apr 2013, 10:57
For me the voice acting is half of the character, also I would like to work on this...record my voice in a Final Fantasy game......

alanman178
7th Apr 2013, 11:05
This just popped in my head: What do you guys and gals think about Seymour's voices in the JP FF10 and NA FF10? Personally, I preferred his JP voice because, it sounded more 'villainous'. My friends and I thought he sounded like a spoiled 'snob' in the NA version.

SoulEaterQUEEN
7th Apr 2013, 13:14
Honestly, I really need the voice acting to be there to make the characters come to life. I personally love how Final Fantasy X had pulled that off wonderfully; there were some characters that I would love to listen to them over and over again (the old man with his stories for example). It really makes the character's personality really shine.

I do agree that it can also destroy the character completely, or make them more dull/less likeable. For example, I was too overwhelmed with the voice acting in Final Fantasy XII - there were way too many accents, and it was hard to really distinguish character's personalities. I was also not too impressed with Final Fantasy's XIII voice acting either (it wasn't bad, but it could have been better) mainly because the accents for Fang and Vanille were way too weak to shine, and I just wasn't a fan. I do enjoy Lightning, and Snow's voice acting though, it helps bring their character's to life (although I still think Lightning could be a bit more comical).

FatSqueek
7th Apr 2013, 19:37
Fat Squeak?

das erste und einzige

Grimoire
8th Apr 2013, 02:20
Echt toll.

Speaking of which, what do you all think of other language dubs?

FatSqueek
8th Apr 2013, 10:35
Echt toll.

Speaking of which, what do you all think of other language dubs?

English because acting.

gyigyo2
15th Apr 2013, 02:08
I think FFX and FFX-2 USA have a terrible voice acting especially tidus when he "laugh" thats big lol like a duck.And when tidus and yuna laugh together pffffff.Seymour voice is like a gay man...Well FFXII was great FFXIII was great too.

FatSqueek
16th Apr 2013, 12:57
Don't insult gay people by comparing them to Seymour.

gyigyo2
17th Apr 2013, 12:03
Don't insult gay people by comparing them to Seymour.

Ohh sorry.

Rathorne
7th May 2013, 00:32
Voice Acting is critical. It is a tool that is still somewhat new to Square Enix. One that Square Enix has not mastered yet.

Take for example, FF6 and FF7. Both games were outstanding without voice acting. However, making a game today without voice acting is just not an option. Yet the challenge remains. Think of how you felt when your favorite book was brought to the big screen? Did you love it, hate it, or somewhere in-between. Point is, without voice acting the player can add their own interpretations to every character and how they may sound in their own mind. Much like when one is reading a book and envisioning how a scene may look that the book is attempting to describe. In other words, ommiting the voice acting allows every person to make up their own voice for them. Make sense?

Long story short, strong voice acting is absolutely critical in today's games and very unforgiving if done incorrectly. It must be spot on, it matters more than one might think. The more believable a character is, the better this will aid the game to push it to the next level.

Last point, remember the last time you went to the cinema's and watched a really poor movie? Was it because the characters couldn't deliver? Were their roles weak or poorly acted? Look at Pixar movies for superb voice acting. WoW, those guys really know how to bring a character alive. Square Enix can achieve this as well.

The Good

In my opinion, FF12 had very good voice acting overall. Every character was fun and most importantly rarely annoying. FF12, much like FF6 and FF7, felt more mature in many ways. Voice acting is also important when it comes to battles and a character may grunt, shriek, or say some sweet line, all adds or detracts from that character.

The Bad

FF13 Voice acting was strong in many ways, but also weak in others. To me, Vanille is the most annoying character in the FF series. This is primarily due to annoying voice acting / sounds. Especially her voice acting during a battle. I understand that she was meant to be perky girl, but just fell short in the end. During battles especially, Vanille became really repetitive and annoying, beyond child like in my opinion.

This is something that cannot be overlooked. It can greatly taint a game.

Thanks for reading.

Rathorne

Fastbreak111
27th May 2013, 02:22
PLLLLEEEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEEEE Square-Enix quit teasing me and give me a release date on the Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster, the suspense is killing me!!!!! If it is not announced at E3 I will probably eat my PS2 version's case:(

FatSqueek
27th May 2013, 10:23
I can't wait to play FFX: The Same as the First Edition.

Fastbreak111
27th May 2013, 13:10
I can't wait to play FFX: The Same as the First Edition.

That would be why its called an HD Remaster...........

FatSqueek
27th May 2013, 16:50
So by definition it's a waste of money.

wizzardofizz
19th Jun 2013, 12:43
Personally, I think the English voice acting in FFX could've used some work. And by that, I mean that half the lines weren't even said in a tone that made contextual sense. FFXII had MAJOR improvements. From the sounds of it, FFXV will have incredible voice acting. That being said, I think the voice acting is just icing on the cake as far as a Final Fantasy game goes. If it weren't, pre-X wouldn't still be so popular.

Neroprototype
22nd Jun 2013, 14:27
I honestly want them to include the option of using Japanese voices in the upcoming games. ESPECIALLY in FFXV because they're using some big time voice actors in it in the Japanese version. And in all honesty, I feel when something gets dubbed, it loses some of its original context and a lot of English voice actors need some more acting work, imo. FFXIII's voices were okay in general, but I didn't really like Lightning's acting.

Another thing is that there are a lot of things said in Japanese that can't really be translated to English. It's just a language barrier. Thus, another reason why I want the Japanese voice option. NIS America includes the option to choose Japanese voices. And I love them for it. It'd be great if Square-Enix allowed the option as well.

Sjtblood93
23rd Jun 2013, 12:27
How does someone become a voice actor for square enix games

member_10726604
27th Jun 2013, 21:26
hmmm

Grimoire
30th Jun 2013, 06:17
[General Forum Guidelines (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139233/29068965/General_Forum_Guidelines)]

[Please do not make a simple post just for the purpose of "bumping" a thread. Also avoid simple posts that don’t add constructive information to the thread, for example: “first”, “.” to signify agreement, or even “/agree”. Consider always adding more information or your personal touch on each response.]

member_10162287
7th Jul 2013, 12:27
I honestly want them to include the option of using Japanese voices in the upcoming games. ESPECIALLY in FFXV because they're using some big time voice actors in it in the Japanese version. And in all honesty, I feel when something gets dubbed, it loses some of its original context and a lot of English voice actors need some more acting work, imo. FFXIII's voices were okay in general, but I didn't really like Lightning's acting.

Another thing is that there are a lot of things said in Japanese that can't really be translated to English. It's just a language barrier. Thus, another reason why I want the Japanese voice option. NIS America includes the option to choose Japanese voices. And I love them for it. It'd be great if Square-Enix allowed the option as well.

Yes, but unless you understand Japanese, I suspect the subtitles will be following the English translations instead of the "true" Japanese content, as is the case with all of the games that offered dual audio tracks. Also there is the problem of lip synching.

Mr.Schwinn
7th Jul 2013, 16:38
In a recent interview with Game Director Tetsuya Nomura (which you can see right here (http://gearnuke.com/nomura-san-gets-interviewed-at-japan-expo-speaks-about-kh3-and-ffxv/)),they asked him if they would include Japanese voices in the game and this is an excert of what he said:

TN: "If you guys really want THAT kind of request very much from all the fans and all the community side and everything, it would probably be best to tell Square Enix."

So it is up to us guys.

If you want to see this upcoming FF title with Japanese voices included ; It is up to us the fans to make it happen.

Petitions, Fourms post, Twitter ,and Facebook is the a multitude of way to make it possible.

Lets go for it!

-

The G asian

EDIT: Here is the link to sign up to the Petition (https://www.change.org/petitions/square-enix-of-america-include-the-japanese-soundtrack-in-final-fantasy-xv-2). We can make a Change :)

member_10140028
7th Jul 2013, 17:33
Personally I rather have English voices because I don't like reading while playing a game, it takes my eyes away from the action to read. I have noticed though there has been a lot of people wanting this so I think that they should include in the game an option to have English or Japanese voices so that it would please everyone.

Grimoire
8th Jul 2013, 03:20
Interview with Tetsuya Nomura finaland.com/?rub=site&page=news&id=4865 (http://finaland.com/?rub=site&page=news&id=4865)

Finaland & FFDream: Question about this place, we are in Japan Expo, there are more than two hundred thousand people there, loving japanese culture so much. We actually watch anime in original version and we watched Final Fantasy VII Advent Children Complete only in japanese.

Can we hope to get the original japanese voices for Final Fantasy XV in Europe.

Tetsuya Nomura: That all depends of the capacity of the disc. The two main reason are the disc space and also the lip sync, because if we’re making the game, with the characters speaking in english but with the voices in japanese, the lip sync would not match. Even though you’d prefer having the japanese voices?

Finaland & FFDream: Yes, actually, please, we have a solution for you, can you think of a limited edition with only japanese voices and french text, would it be possible to do that?

Tetsuya Nomura: You really want this that much?

Finaland & FFDream: YES YES YES we really want japanese voices.

Tetsuya Nomura: (laughs) You’ll have to say this YES YES YES to Square enix though for not to me. If you guys really want THAT kind of request very much from all the fans and all the community side and everything, it would probably be best to tell Square Enix France or Square Enix Europe to make that happen. Square Enix France of Europe could speak to Square Enix Japan and it probably could make it happen, but we’ll see.

Finaland & FFDream: Thank you !

Grimoire
8th Jul 2013, 03:25
[LET'S DISCUSS: VOICE ACTING IN FINAL FANTASY] na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235... (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29759519/Lets_discuss:_Voice_Acting_in_FINAL_FANTASY?pg=6)

Interview with Tetsuya Nomura finaland.com/?rub=site&page=news&id=4865 (http://finaland.com/?rub=site&page=news&id=4865)

Finaland & FFDream: Question about this place, we are in Japan Expo, there are more than two hundred thousand people there, loving japanese culture so much. We actually watch anime in original version and we watched Final Fantasy VII Advent Children Complete only in japanese.

Can we hope to get the original japanese voices for Final Fantasy XV in Europe.

Tetsuya Nomura: That all depends of the capacity of the disc. The two main reason are the disc space and also the lip sync, because if we’re making the game, with the characters speaking in english but with the voices in japanese, the lip sync would not match. Even though you’d prefer having the japanese voices?

Finaland & FFDream: Yes, actually, please, we have a solution for you, can you think of a limited edition with only japanese voices and french text, would it be possible to do that?

Tetsuya Nomura: You really want this that much?

Finaland & FFDream: YES YES YES we really want japanese voices.

Tetsuya Nomura: (laughs) You’ll have to say this YES YES YES to Square enix though for not to me. If you guys really want THAT kind of request very much from all the fans and all the community side and everything, it would probably be best to tell Square Enix France or Square Enix Europe to make that happen. Square Enix France of Europe could speak to Square Enix Japan and it probably could make it happen, but we’ll see.

Finaland & FFDream: Thank you !

EternalAmbiguity
8th Jul 2013, 11:53
I wish there was someone to say "YES YES YES" to Tetsuya about a PC version of the game, rather than just dubs.

jurai-pr
9th Jul 2013, 04:55
Yeah I want too japanese voices only. Dont want to hear english voices they kill the voice of the character like Anime voice in english. I heard Naruto in english and i say WTF and even made me bored.

Nomura say: That all depends of the capacity of the disc.

I dont think that be a problem we can download the voices if we dont get the voices on the disc in the next update something like that. I hope Square-enix do that. Onegai :D

mike_ptbr
14th Aug 2013, 22:05
Yes, we want japonese voice, please square-enix, also don't forget the PC version :D

GranteedEV
23rd Oct 2013, 16:12
Some FF games, like IV, IX, XII, and XIII, I wouldn't care about English vs Japanese. The setting and atmosphere are "bland" enough that

Others, like FFVII, FFVIII, FFX, and FFXV to me seem like they WANT to be in Japanese. I think they will just come across as awkward in English and while I respect people who don't want foreign languages and subtitles in their spoken dialogue, that shouldn't be a way of punishing other purchasing buyers who feel alienated.

If not that, then offer dual audio as downloadable content. Please, square enix.

SangHee
23rd Oct 2013, 16:47
I totally agree about outsiders (that is, non-Japanese) getting the option for Japanese voice overs in FF games. I totally love Mayuko Aoki as Yuna and the rest of the cast in FFX sound better for me, too. Games like Resonance of Fate had this option and it was awesome, I hope S-E would do us this great favor.

Gotta say, in all fairness, that I preferred Caius from FFXIII-2 in English, though. Liam O'Brien voiced him spot on. Only enforces the argument for us to be able to choose. The games have subtitles anyways and today with blu-ray media S-E can't say it wouldn't fit on the game disc.

moooka
21st Nov 2013, 12:27
Lightning Returns will have Japanese voice overs as DLC (free for the first two weeks)
http://gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/205381/

Grimoire
22nd Nov 2013, 11:01
Lightning Returns: FFXIII out now in Japan (http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/lightning-returns-ffxiii-out-now-japan)!
Lightning Returns: FFXIII Special Effects Trailer & DLC Update (http://na.square-enix.com/us/blog/lightning-returns-ffxiii-special-effects-trailer-dlc-update).

KrelboynekidZidane
3rd Jan 2014, 00:25
Although all american voice versions of Final Fantasy have been top notch artist, some characterizations may come out whiny or emo. Vaan and Tidus may seem like they have non-sexy kiddish voices (west coast nasal); however, since lots of kids have nasal voices it fits the characters perfectly since Vaan and Tidus are teens.

These caucasian voice actors could have easily have been asian american voices. If you hear Vaan say "he will tan our hides," doesnt sound like an asian American voice?

My favorite VO would be Phineas Flynn. LOL. Just kidding. However, Vincent Martella has the best voice for nasal hope in XIII when hes a teen (almost sounds like he was wearing braces), and then Lightning Returns Martellas voice is mature sounding, dropping the younger Hope. But man oh man, I could hear Martellas voice when he was pissed at Snow. Now, thats what I call an actor!! You get a 5 star rating in my book and a billion cp points. Now, go back to the Walking Dead. Hope rules.

I do want to mention Vanile. Her character gets bashed on alot. However, considering she is from the U.K., she did a great job hiding her English accent trying to sound Jappanese--hence the higher pitched sounds. For this, I think the English actress should get a pat on the back.

On the adult side, XII had the best V.Os.