PDA

View Full Version : You can make your textures look so much better.

Data
23rd Nov 2002, 14:16
If you have Photoshop, the following will enhance your textures.

Use a filter called 'plastic wrap', it should be in the first list of filters in the filter menu. Experiment with this and your textures will look wet, and glisten.

Before altering the size of textures to 64x64, set the dpi to 300 and then the size to 64x64 (or 128x128). this will result in better resolution at the smaller size, and in game, will look so much more realistic.

To get rid of the wallpaper effect, use the 'offset' feature. Whilst in this mode, use the 'stamp' tool to edit out the appearance of graphic lines. However, do this before altering the size down to 64x64.

Also, you can use the 'High pass filter' to eliminate areas in your texture that are too much of a contrast that gives the effect of wallpapering (repeated textures).

You may be able to do some of this with Paint Shop Pro.

If you have any other tips for textures, please post them here. :)

Litepulsar
23rd Nov 2002, 15:52
Good tips Data :)

I have some tips as well

For realistic textures when creating a level that's set in an ancient temple, cavern etc, try to get digital photographs of real places.... like if you're doing a South America level, there are loads of excellent digital pics on the web of Inca/Mayan/Aztec ruins, as well as their artifacts.

Then apply Data's tips above to make sure they fit and look ok in game :)

Using fabric sample textures (photos again) of real clothes also makes great looking outfits.

Dan the Jazzman
23rd Nov 2002, 19:33
Well, something slightly relevant to textures I found recently- If you press the ¬ key (it's next to the 1 on my keyboard) then you can rotate the triangle on the selected texture. I found that out after building a whole level and wondering how to do it! It's probably in the manual, though I never found it...

cornchild
23rd Nov 2002, 19:40
I've been using the editor for a while now and last month was when I found out by pressing the ctrl key you mirror the texture.lol I never seen that in the manual.

Thanks for the tips Data

eTux
23rd Nov 2002, 19:46
Originally posted by cornchild
I've been using the editor for a while now and last month was when I found out by pressing the ctrl key you mirror the texture.lol I never seen that in the manual.

It is written in the manual (in the first section I think) :D (but I admitt, can be easily overlooked)

Since I don't have the fancy programs my tip would be Irfanview, was and still is very usefull for many functions, and together with TES you can make some nice textures, of course those who have better programs will prefer those :)