PDA

View Full Version : Episode 1: Awake Discussion

Det_Forrester
31st Aug 2017, 00:38
Seeing as how Episode 1 is about to debut, I figured now would be a good time to start a discussion thread for the premiere of Life is Strange: Before the Storm. While discussing, please, NO SPOILERS :D :thumb: And remember to have fun. :wave:

Det_Forrester
31st Aug 2017, 21:35
THOUGHTS:
Playing as Chloe Price is obviously different from Playing as Max Caulfield. For one, no magic rewind powers. So, I actually did have to live with everything I say and do without being able to rewind time and change my decisions. Knowing me, I always try to be as nice as I can throughout most of the time, and Chloe is known for being a bit of a devil most of the time. The way I see it, might as well try to be an angel the best I can. But, still not above making witty smartass comments when tempted.

I did like how Chloe's journal was about writing letters to Max, which she never sends. Looking through the text messages, seems like Max and Chloe actually did try to stay in touch. But that didn't last long. The Backtalk bit is real interesting. I was successful with each time I got to do it. It pays to be a good listener. (And read the subtitles.) I had seen the preview video that goes on in the Firewalk show and actually tried to go up the stairs after paying Frank for the pot to avoid conflict. But, unfortunately, the plot demands Chloe to accidentally spill the dude's beer on his shirt before going up the stairs. I tried.

Waking up in Chloe's room and deciding what to wear, I decided to go with the Classic Chloe look (since I pre-ordered it.) I was thinking about wearing the Firewalk shirt I stole from that guy at the Firewalk concert, but that pretty much screams, "Yes, mother, I did go to a live rock show on the other side of town". Just trying to keep Chloe out of trouble the best I can, even though most of the time it can't be help.

Chloe certainly knew other people in Blackhell- I mean, Blackwell. People Max never got to meet. Like Eliot (Or as I think of him, Chloe's very own Warren), Steph, Mikey, Samantha and that Blackwell security guard, Skip. Of course, there is Justin, Dana, Hayden and of course, the Queen B herself, Victoria.

Playing hooky with Rachel was pretty cool. I played along with her "two truths and a lie" game without trying to cheat. The best part for me was actually being to get to know Rachel this way. In the first game, we always hear "Rachel always liked that" or "Rachel wouldn't do this" and other stuff like that.

After that argument in the junkyard and Rachel left, not much to say except... CHLOE SMASH!! Okay, jokes aside, that was pretty emotional. I think I even saw Chloe's truck somewhere during the whole rage moment she had. But what really hit the nail was when Chloe found William's wrecked car in the middle of the junkyard. That got so sad so quick. Then Chloe has another dream of talking with William.

By the end of it, Rachel finally tells Chloe the reason she got so upset. That couple they saw making out under the tree; that was her DA daddy and she is pretty upset with dear ol daddy. When she set the picture of him on fire and tossed it in the trash bin, I was hoping that would be it. But then, she kicks it, causing the tree her dad and that lady he hooked up with were making out underneath earlier to catch on fire, and each time Rachel screams as she cried, the wind just suddenly started blowing around her. A real force of nature, this girl. I also liked the way the episode ended, with the characters looking up when they noticed the wildfire while seeing how they were doing at the time. What worries me is how it showed Mr. Amber's lady smoking while smiling at the fire. Might turn out to be "the big bad" of this game, like how Jefferson was in the first. And the 7-second preview showed someone trying to break into Chloe's room. Maybe taking that money wasn't such a good idea...

Anyway, this was definitely a first episode, and I am looking forward to the next one. I'll be replaying soon to find the rest of the graffiti marks I missed. As for my choices, I pretty much did more of thinking "what would I do" and less of "what would Chloe do".

MAIN CHOICES:
- I ran. I actually wanted to attack the two idiots, but then I thought that it would lead to Chloe getting a mark or something if she fought.
- I was kind to Joyce. She's Chloe's mother, I'm not gonna be mean to her.
- I defended Nathan. Maybe I shouldn't have, considering what he's doing and going to do. I guess the only reason I did was because Samantha asked me to.
- I told Rachel we are more than friends. It's no secret that how their relationship goes in the future.

ADDITIONAL CHOICES:
- I took the money. Like Chloe wouldn't actually take it.
- I purchased pot from Frank. No more loans he says. HA! Because Chloe won't own him $3000 in the future. Oh, wait...
- I read Joyce's self-help book. Seeing as how this was a choice, I suspect I'll be seeing this book again in the next episode.
- I put the photo of William on the dresser. I do wonder if Joyce will leave it there.
- I didn't slip money into Joyce's purse. Already gave it to Frank. Considering how that premiere scene played out, I guess it's good that I didn't.
- I told Eliot I would go to the play with him. Though, I'm pretty sure I may not keep that promise.
- I didn't listen to Skip's demo. I just finished my talk with him after talking about Justin. Next time, Skip. Next time.
- I didn't finish the table top game with Steph and Mikey. I thought it would take too much time and that I might miss out on something. But, like I told them, maybe next time.
- I sabotaged Victoria's homework. Yeah, I'll take any chance I can get to mess with Victoria. Suck it, Queen *****.
- I told Rachel I believe in love. I mainly said it to appease the teacher and the students.
- I shared earbuds with Rachel. Wanted to keep this friendship train rolling. (Pun intended)
- I jumped out of the train. Because, **** it. Chloe's never been one to turn down anything extreme. And I trusted Rachel.

Sergius0202
2nd Sep 2017, 00:23
I ve noticed an interesting bug - if you choose Classic Chloe outfit (pre-order bonus), there will no any sign of black eye on her face. Can anybody tell email of game support to tell them about bug?

PHub07
2nd Sep 2017, 03:35
Wow so this place totally died...

Tataboj
3rd Sep 2017, 09:07
I'm going to put some quick thoughts here, maybe I'll make some longer analysis if I feel like it. :P

It does feel like a Life is Strange game. Which is a huge relief for me. I was really scared about this game, especially considering that it wasn't Dontnod's and the creators' idea. I then read a few interviews and previews, but I still remained a little skeptical about it. Luckily, it really looks like Deck Nine knew (knows) what they were doing. The moment I opened her journal, I was sucked into the nostalgic feeling once again. Before I knew it, I was reading every single document and looking at every single object, just like old times. I don't really care that much about achievements, but I simply wanted to know every single Chloe's thought and get her to know that much better.

I'm happy with Chloe's character as well. I was afraid she was going to be "angsty and that's it", but her character is as complex as I hoped in this game, and yeah, quite relatable.

My main problem with this episode is the speed at which the relationship between Chloe and Rachel developed. They didn't talk to each other until yesterday night and now they're thinking about leaving Arcadia Bay together (even if just jokingly)? When I got the choice between "a real friendship" and "something more", I didn't know what to do, since I would say neither of them if I knew someone for less than a day, even if it would be someone like Rachel, so I chose the less "serious" decision (friendship), even though I do believe they were lovers at some point. The fact how quick it all was meant that the following scene didn't have as much of an impact to me as it could have.

Other than that and a few minor issues that aren't even worth talking about, I enjoyed Life is Strange: Before the Storm very much and can't wait to go to the world of Arcadia Bay again. Going back to Blackwell and talking to all its residents was such a great reminder of why I love Life is Strange in the first place, I really have to thank you for making this game.
Thank you, Deck Nine!

PHub07
3rd Sep 2017, 13:40
Im putting tags because I guess it has LIS 1 spoilers even though I highly suggest anyone play that first.

I agree with your concern. I even go as far as to say I think they were NOT lovers at some point. IMO LIS doesn't have anything in it that indicates that to be true. I always speculated if Rachel had rewind powers herself as EVERYONE seemed to love this girl and Chloe especially. I always got this impression that Chloe may have been in love with Rachel without even being entirely aware of it herself. Seeing Deck Nine basically rewrite that for the sake of this being a love story is really concerning to me MANDATORY love story incoming.

Whats funny about the junkyard scene is I recall seeing the footage of that prior to release and everyone would poke fun at how the person playing picked friendship. Like why would you do that when Chloe was clearly in love with Rachel? Kinda soured the whole thing though when I played it myself and realized its their FIRST TIME hanging out....making friendship feel like the "right" choice there even if the non controlled dialogue still heavily rushes the romance. I'm just hoping they don't find a way to crap all over the Frank and Rachel relationship which I now feel like might happen. Afterall LIS made it clear he really DID love her.

TwoTonTom
5th Sep 2017, 20:21
Im putting tags because I guess it has LIS 1 spoilers even though I highly suggest anyone play that first.

I agree with your concern. I even go as far as to say I think they were NOT lovers at some point. IMO LIS doesn't have anything in it that indicates that to be true. I always speculated if Rachel had rewind powers herself as EVERYONE seemed to love this girl and Chloe especially. I always got this impression that Chloe may have been in love with Rachel without even being entirely aware of it herself. Seeing Deck Nine basically rewrite that for the sake of this being a love story is really concerning to me MANDATORY love story incoming.

Whats funny about the junkyard scene is I recall seeing the footage of that prior to release and everyone would poke fun at how the person playing picked friendship. Like why would you do that when Chloe was clearly in love with Rachel? Kinda soured the whole thing though when I played it myself and realized its their FIRST TIME hanging out....making friendship feel like the "right" choice there even if the non controlled dialogue still heavily rushes the romance. I'm just hoping they don't find a way to crap all over the Frank and Rachel relationship which I now feel like might happen. Afterall LIS made it clear he really DID love her.

Personally, I felt from playing the first game, that Chloe and Rachel did have a romantic interest in each other. Tome, it shows how ambiguous the first game made this, that we can have so different opinions on this. Ultimately, I suppose the things we say and do in this game will determine the relationship they have. Absolutely love the first game so far.

Auric180
18th Sep 2017, 01:52
I like the dialogue how it's an obvious choice to make if ur Max, but when Chloe does it it's believable to see why people misunderstood her.

I feel like she's going to take the blame for what happens later.

Inconsistency?
- I didn't take the beer but she still lost her phone and ask how drunk she was.
I'm sure she can drink later with Rachael.
- I didn't steal the money but the "next time" scene is the same
Only guess I got is involving Frank. No I don't think he's the one demanding that. But he may be involved with it, thanks to Rachael and Chloe about a certain "escape plan"
Could be the same person who's tied to the shirt vendor.