PDA

View Full Version : I need a tutorial on fixing the enemys from other tr's

cornchild
20th Nov 2002, 23:10
I need a tutorial on fixing the enemys from the other tr's. I have tried to build them several times in the past but have failed. ok so say I want to put the vci laser guy in the demi-god slot, so I copy down all of his animations and state changes, then I copy down the demi-gods animations and there state changes. (so I get this far) then I compare the two lists figure out which animations from the vci laser guy should be arranged. I arrange them in the right order and enter in the demi-gods state changes into the vci guys animations. Is this where I am wrong. Am I supposed to put the vci guys state changes in and his next animations. What am I doing wrong. One last thing what is the definition of a state change, you know what does it do I know that they point to certain animations but the animations are not related sometimes to the ones they are pointed to. Like a lara die animation its state change points to the breath animation.

I have asked for a tutorial several times but there were no replies.

import_craziej2k
21st Nov 2002, 04:14
I have the same problem :( I'd also like to have a tutorial on converting enemies

daniel
21st Nov 2002, 12:15
Hi,
hmm...well, I´ll explain it step for step, even the things you already know ;) (the tutorial is for trviewer):
First look what enemy slot might be the right one for your TRC guard. When I made the shiva statue I used the baddy2 slot because of the reason that the baddy2 is the only enemy who can defend himself with a sword. So no other slot would have fit for the temple statue.
After you have chosen the right slot export the enemy you want to convert as a TRMVBL and import it back in the tr4 slot you´ve chosen. Now open a tr4 level that has the enemy that is in the slot in TR4 (e.g. if you use the demigod2 slot, open a tr4 level where the demigod 2 is in). Then look for the dieing animation of the demigod and remember it´s number.
Then export the dieing animation form teh VCI guard as a 3ds file and import this animation into the demigod slot and replace it with the right number (e.g. the demigod dies with animation number 15. Then import the dieing animation and choose "replace with animation number 15"). All the other animations can stay in their place EXCEPT you´re using the baddy1 or 2 slot. For those 2 enemies ALL animations must be in the correct order. Next compare the state IDs. If the demigod´s walking animation has state ID 2 then give the walking animation of your enemy also the state id 2. Do this with all animations.
Next you have to link to the next anims. And this is where it gets complicated.
Ok, first use the speed, unknown, next anim and acceleration numbers from the tr enemy you want to convert. Don´t use the demigod´s.
Then you have to create the state changes. Use every number from the original enemy EXCEPT the state ID. If your enemy stands and should start walking, then use every number from the original enemy. But you have to use the state ID the demigod uses while walking. And you can only enter as many state changes as the demigod has with the current animations. Do this for every animation and you´ve finished your enemy. Godd luck.

cornchild
21st Nov 2002, 22:03
Thank you so much. I will try it I tried at first without the tutorial and alls I got was the guy walking forward with his legs dislogged vertically and he was like floating on air. Now with the tutorial I will try to create an ew enemy maybe I should start with something simple to learn how to make characters then I will move up to something more complicated.

thanks again.

one more thing when I go throught he demi-gods animations and several other characters some of them will not display correctly like you can see them flying rapidly all over the screen. So my question is how do you know what animation to put in its place. Do you simply put any animation with the same number of frames?

daniel
22nd Nov 2002, 16:26
Hi cornchild,
I also don´t knwo what those animations are. But it doesn´t matter in which slot the animations are in. Except the dieing animation-this animation must be put in the same slot(s) as the dieing aniamtion(s) of the demigod. The only case where every animation has to be in the correct slot like the dieing animation is if you use the baddy1 or 2 slot. Then it gets also more complicated, because if you save your TRMVBL at a wrong time you´ll ruin your work. BTW, export often a newm TRMVBL of your enemy because sometimes TRviewer doesn´t do all things right when saving.

cornchild
22nd Nov 2002, 20:48
Thanks so what you are saying is that the only animations that have to be in there origional order are the dieing animations say demi-god dieing aniamtion was 12 then all the other anims could be ina different order. Only the die would have to be in the right order. Ok so you said export it as a movable from right click menu in trviewer but the object does not have the same number of meshes as the demi-god so what do I do. or do I just put my vci guy in the demi-god slot and then export all his anims as different files. and them inport them into the new vci guy in the order I want them all except the dieing animation which has to go in the right slot and then put in the demi-gods state-ids for the right animations and finally use the next animation and acceleration from the vci guy. one more tihng what if the character I convert doesnt have a certain anim like the origional so say I want to make the vci cyborg int he skeleton slot but my vci guy doesnt have the rise up from ground anim do I simply put the anim I want in its place and put the state id of the skeleton in the box of the anim.

thanks

daniel
24th Nov 2002, 13:24
Hi,
I´m not exactly sure, but I think the number of meshes doesn´t matter when exporting/importing a TRMVBL. The only thign you mustn´t do is to uncheck the boxes when importing the TRMVBL. All boxes must be checked. Then import an aniamtion of your guard into the demigod slot and choose "delete all anims in the current moveable". Then you can import all the animations in the order you want :).
About the raise from the ground anim:
I haven´t looked at the skeleton so far and so I don´t know if the raising from the ground is an animation or if it´s hardcoded. If it´s an animation, you have to create such an animation with anim edit for your VCI guard. If it´s hardcoded I think it would be enough to put the state ID into an animation.
Oh, and by the way: I suggest to put the standing animation of a charakter in the same slot as the original enemy´s because many enemies in TR4 start with that animation when they are triggered.

cornchild
24th Nov 2002, 15:24
Thanks it is an animation maybe I could make an animation of the new badguy leaping out of a whole. Thaks for all your help.

TRWad
24th Nov 2002, 18:28
I'm busy on a tutorial how to make enemies working using wadmerger. It's very easy that way and the sounds are also very easy (you don't have to overwrite any sound). They are based on the way I made the following enemies:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10166

It will be available soon.

cornchild
24th Nov 2002, 18:50
Cool I will be looking forward to it I use the animation editor to create simple animating objects but now I will be able to make enemys too.

TRWad
24th Nov 2002, 19:12
It's not completely using the animation editor. The biggest part (changing the animation order) is done using the AI Editor. You just need to animation editor to fix some state ids and state changes, and of course to take a look at the animations before putting them in order (you need to know which animation is walking so you need to view them all).

daniel
24th Nov 2002, 20:42
Hi TRwad,
my posts refer to Trviewer, not to anim edit ;).

TRWad
24th Nov 2002, 21:39
Originally posted by Daniel
Hi TRwad,
my posts refer to Trviewer, not to anim edit ;).

But my post does! :D :D :D :D

This thread was about tutorials for fixing enemies, and not for fixing enemies using trviewer so I jumped (using SHIFT+ALT) in telling I'm making a tutorial for wadmerger. It's another tutorial that used the posibilities of the just released wadmerger 1.9 rev 4.

daniel
25th Nov 2002, 13:24
Hi Trwad,
ah..so THAT was what you mean :D. I interpreted your first sentence wrong. Some misunderstanding..why the hell must the entire world speak english..why not german? I´d much appreciate this :D.

TRWad
25th Nov 2002, 21:01
Originally posted by Daniel
why the hell must the entire world speak english..why not german? I´d much appreciate this :D.

Start anim edit and change the state id from english talking to german talking.

cornchild
7th Dec 2002, 01:23
Ok I thought I would try something simple. I made a Sophia in the harpy slot just for fun to see her fly and shoot blasts too. I did this because I realized that flying is just as state id of the harpy. I copied down the harpies anims and state ids. Next I copied down Sophia’s animations. Then I placed all the Sophia’s animations in the right order in the harpy slot, even though I know that you do not have to just the dieing animation. I placed them in the right order anyway so the state id's would be easier to enter. Then I made sure that the anims had the next anims,speed,acceleration of Sophia and the states of the harpy. When copying anims form sophia into the right order I realized that Sophia did not have anims like falling towards ground so I replaced it with her breathing anim I was not real worried seeings how this was a test enemy. So got all that done. I put her in a test level and loaded up tr. She flew up into the air and when I got close to her she lowered but she would not shoot she just sat their in a standing animation so I shot her and she landed she did not even play her dying animation. Do you think that I entered a wrong number even though I was cautious? Or could it be that I needed to raise her from the ground being that
she was in the harpy slot?

Thanks

Tomo
7th Dec 2002, 11:04
Start anim edit and change the state id from english talking to german talking.

I am shure it is not included in the life.exe
let us ask core-eidos for a new one :p :D

cornchild
7th Dec 2002, 19:24
Ok I think I know what I did wrong. I said she just floated in the air well that was probably becuase her next animation pointed to itself So I need to change it to attacking and then if it still doesnt work check the others.