PDA

View Full Version : For the love of Christ, shut Lara the hell up

Willprot
27th Mar 2017, 20:06
I'm finally playing through Rise of the Tomb Raider and it is an awful experience, LITERALLY, every single puzzle I come to Lara starts talking to herself in order to tell me exactly what I need to do to solve said puzzle.

It's like they only programmed the game for idiots, since it doesn't even wait 5 or 10 minutes to give the opportunity for the player to try and figure it out. I should simply be able to use survival vision to check out my surroundings and figure things out myself, if I need hints then I'll turn them on... or go to the damn internet.

Now I understand there are some people that may enjoy having their hand held every single step of the way through a puzzle in a game, and that's fine for them, however that defeats the entire purpose for me so give those of us who can do without and prefer not to have it a way to shut that **** off.

I'm fairly certain the first game was like this and I forgot but I won't forget again or buy another Tomb Raider game, "use the console", "raise the platforms", "find another cart"... it's absolutely ruining the game for me and my experience.

As it stands I have to try to anticipate when a puzzle is coming up and turn off subtitles and voice dialogs EVERY DAMN TIME, tedious and completely awful, this infantile treatment is not necessary some of us have common sense and like the challenge of a puzzle without help.

Error96_
27th Mar 2017, 23:52
On the Rise page there is a wishlist for the next game and stopping Lara giving away the answers to the puzzles is high up on it. It does annoy me when the puzzles get spoiled. I play on the harder difficulties and so I don't want too many hints.

chrisdaventry
28th Mar 2017, 06:17
Do yourself a favor and Never Ever play Tomb Raider Anniversary and Tomb Raider Legend and Tomb Raider Underworld, thats where the whole hand holding started and worse.

If you want Real Immersion and Proof to yourself you can play a Game without Any Hint whatsoever, play the Classic Tomb Raider Games from Tomb Raider 1 till Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness. Gameplay wise, you will NOT be disappointed i promise you.

Lara_Fan_84
28th Mar 2017, 23:59
I kind of got annoyed in the last game when she did that especially in the part where you had to break off parts of the elevator in order to get to the bottom floor. I think it's mostly so it's a reminder of what you have to do but I think she could have just said it once and you get it. Like, she says "got to find something to eat" and that's it, not every minute she says it as a reminder that you're supposed to look for food while you're aimlessly walking around not knowing what to do. That last part was a joke by the way.

mIcKyByRnE
2nd Apr 2017, 20:57
I have to say, I found your post rather amusing. :) I think the problem with Crystal Dynamics is that they're focused on the "realness of Lara"- whatever the hell that means (she's fictional). I have a problem with the repetitive animation/cutscene for every single relic you find, yet, when you replay a selected mission, she just picks them up with a simple animation, saving you about 3 second of your life. I'm not too sure why they're focusing on all these small irrelevant details that provide nothing to the 'gaming' experience.

As for 'survival insticts' and 'hints'- they're rubbish. Plain and simple.

Tecstar70
31st Oct 2017, 14:33
lol. post title made me laugh...