PDA

View Full Version : Square Enix, please work on Facial Expressions for SOTTR

chrisdaventry
25th Mar 2017, 17:52
I'm not sure if this was posted before here, but I found this the other day. They made some edits on the Rise model (ignore the braid) I kind of like it This image isent from me, but Square Enix should Really work on Facial Expressions, especially when Lara is underwater or with the Breather.

http://i.imgur.com/Esrjipt.png

That look in her face on the right says: 'I am Lara Bloody Croft, yet the face on the left says I'm about to pee my pants and I miss my teddy bear.

Rai
26th Mar 2017, 22:49
I see you've brought the discussion over here too :p. Could try using the quote box, seeing as you're using someone else's words to describe the images ;).

Which I disagree with btw. Lara doesn't look at the level of scared to be peeing her pants or miss her teddy bear. Her eyes would be wider for starters. She's concerned, certainly, perhaps slightly scared, which is reasonable considering she's about to be charged by a bear. Just because she's gained some experience in facing danger in TR'13, it doesn't mean she's instantly going to be nonchalant with every dangerous situation. I think this is the mistake some people are making with Reboot/Rise Lara. They were expecting,if not classic, then classic-like Lara to emerge after just the one game. I assume whomever made the second pic was going for 'badass' and 'fierce', like there's a specific look to go for. Imo, she now looks pissed off, angry, which doesn't suit the situation. I would expect a more experienced, veteran raider like classic Lara to take a bear attack in her stride, to be determined and this would show in her expression. I just don't think this is suitable for Rise Lara just yet. Plus pic 2 Lara looks like she has too much mascara/eyeliner on. The hair looks better though.

This is one pic also. It ignores the many other situations Lara found herself in throughout the entire game in which Lara most certainly did look determined, angry, 'fierce' etc. So many times I've seen reboot/Rise Lara being judged as 'weak' or having 'weak' expressions, using pics like this as an example.

Additionally, Crystal/EM, should give Lara facial expressions they see fit the situation and appropriate to Lara's reaction. It's all in the context. I love that technology allows for Lara to have so many varied expressions. If she's scared or shocked, then that should be reflected in her face. Reboot Lara is a character who feels fear but overcomes it and still goes into situations head on.

chrisdaventry
27th Mar 2017, 11:19
Apparently im not allowed to quote links from other sites :)

Rai
27th Mar 2017, 12:07
No, but you can manually add a quote box. Highlight the sentence, then click the quote icon.

it will look like this. - Rai from TRF. :)

a_big_house
27th Mar 2017, 16:56
What.

The image on the left looks as good as it should be, she's shocked or startled. The image on the right she looks likes she's disgusted at something or about to drop the kids off at the pool. :lol:

As an additional comment, Lara's face (especially in the left photo) was mo-capped from Camilla. I'm not a fan of her voice, but she can certainly express well.

Lara_Fan_84
29th Mar 2017, 00:06
I don't understand you're complaint. She looks awesome with her facial expressions and to add to your complaint why do you want to see facial expressions with the breather when you're not even facing the camera? You're goal is to swim moving forward who cares how she looks.

Shaikh
29th Mar 2017, 13:15
It has to be done. Lara doesn't feel like alive or a human often. Peeps over at Naughty Dog is doing a great job with UC and TLoU. I wish the next TR's will fix that issue. But if Shadow is truly being made by Eidos Montreal, the chances are lower than usual in my opinion. :/

nawazish
4th May 2017, 16:40
Which I can't avoid negating btw. Lara doesn't look at the level of solidified to pee her pants or miss her teddy bear. Her eyes would be all the more wide for a particular something. She's concerned, totally, perhaps to some degree startled, which is sensible survey she's going as charged by a bear. Since she's heightened some dedication in going up against danger in TR'13, it doesn't mean she's in an impact going to be emotionless with each risky condition. I think this is the spoil several individuals are making with Reboot/Rise Lara. They were expecting,if not basic, then surprising like Lara to bode well the one beguilement. I expect whomever made the second pic was going for "revolt" and 'chafed', like there's a specific strategy to go for. Imo, she now looks irritated, baffled, which taking all things into account misses the mark for the situation. I would expect a more experienced, veteran apostate like baffling Lara to take a bear strike in her stroll, around be settled and this would show up in her look. I essentially don't think this is sensible for Rise Lara particularly. What's more pic 2 Lara appears just as she has ludicrously mascara/eyeliner on. The hair looks better regardless. This is one pic what's more. It ignores the distinctive specific conditions Lara ended up in all through the entire distraction in which Lara inspiration driving reality looked picked, enraged, "exasperated" et cetera. Such a party of times I've seen reboot/Rise Lara being judged as "sensitive" or having "slight" expressions, using pics like this for example.