PDA

View Full Version : My Second Playthrough For Rise, Can't Get Into It, Is That Bad?

Lara_Fan_84
8th Feb 2017, 02:13
I know most people here have probably played this game 10 times or more. I wanted to play the game again, mostly to have the experiences with Jacob again. The game was easier the second time since I knew what to do but I've gotten to the part where Lara figures out Jacob is the prophet. I'm ready to be done with this play through though.

The first game I have replayed about 10 times or more. I can't get enough of it. I did like the story but there's something about this second game that stops me from going forward. Maybe it's the story line since I know what happens but that doesn't make sense since I knew what happened story line wise in the first game.

I'm not really apologizing or anything like that. I know it's my game and I can do what I want with it. I basically want to know if anyone else has experienced this?

a_big_house
9th Feb 2017, 16:07
I completed TR9 twice and gave up on the third playthrough, on Rise I didn't finish the second playthrough (addimtadly I got stuck on the helicopter battle near the end the second time, but still)

I think what bugged me with my second go at Rise was that although the story was okay (for the most part), getting to each story segment took too long.
Like you would have a story 'moment' then have to traverse through 2 hubs to get to the next part of the story, whereas in TR9 the story kept moving with Lara as she moved across the island.
That's not a complaint about the size of the game, but more about "I want to get to here, why do I have to climb up there, over there, down there and around that, to get there" - The hubs acted as more of an obstacle in Rise, than TR9.

Lara_Fan_84
9th Feb 2017, 22:35
I completed TR9 twice and gave up on the third playthrough, on Rise I didn't finish the second playthrough (addimtadly I got stuck on the helicopter battle near the end the second time, but still)

I think what bugged me with my second go at Rise was that although the story was okay (for the most part), getting to each story segment took too long.
Like you would have a story 'moment' then have to traverse through 2 hubs to get to the next part of the story, whereas in TR9 the story kept moving with Lara as she moved across the island.
That's not a complaint about the size of the game, but more about "I want to get to here, why do I have to climb up there, over there, down there and around that, to get there" - The hubs acted as more of an obstacle in Rise, than TR9.

Yeah the helicopter battle was the most frustrating part in the game for me. I died a lot. I agree it did take longer to get from one place to another in the new game but she had more places to go instead of just an island in TR9. But, the island was pretty big too.

Maybe the reason why I stopped playing is because I didn't care as much for the story. I think I liked the story in the first game better.

Tallantis
11th Feb 2017, 00:01
Yeah I played Rise on XBOX after the release, I got TR on PC after the first release and again with 20th Years Celebration. Still waiting to finish it on PC. First I left it because the PC version had some issues, later on I couldn't get into it. It is maybe because I hated the finale with the railaction. It is a fine game but missing some soul like the older games.

Metalrocks
11th Feb 2017, 06:54
nope, its not only you. i had no issues with the helicopter at all. rather aggravated how tedious it was. i have tried to play it a second time but i stopped playing it once i was in russia. syria is the only level i really enjoyed since it touches on the classic tomb raider, but gets pushed aside with grey filter landscape and one action set piece after another. more clearer in my review.

i havent touched TR for a year now. the only time i have played it, was when the manor dlc came out. but then i was done with it too. even deleted it because i really didnt enjoyed it than 9. i have start playing the LAU titles again. at least there the action is nicely spread out instead of every fifth step and way more colourful, creative puzzles, diversity of traps, so as far better music that doesnt sound all the time dark and monotone. i cant recall a single piece of music in rise that sticks out. just playing the thailand level again in underworld, with the bright, beautiful landscape and the relaxing, soothing music on top of it. so more joyful and worth playing it many times.

d1n0_xD
11th Feb 2017, 10:58
I don't know, I usually don't replay games for a year or two :D I only finished it once, maybe I'll replay it by the end of the year, but I feel like replaying Mass Effect :D

Valenka
13th Feb 2017, 01:08
I think it's just a matter of being bored with it. There are some games I absolutely love, but can't bring myself to complete another play through—yet there are games that I have played 10+ times without so much as a yawn. Rise of the Tomb Raider is one I've completed three times, but I haven't touched it since. As much fun as I had, I just have no interest in playing through it again any time soon.

It doesn't mean the game is bad. I've just had my fill for now and there's numerous other games I need to complete, and then Mass Effect Andromeda launches next month and I'm sure I'll be on that for a long time.

Lara_Fan_84
13th Feb 2017, 23:31
Off topic but I read recently I think on a TR wiki or something (don't know exactly) that Sam was supposed to die in the first game. I guess the people who made the game changed their mind at the last minute. I think it would have been better if she died only because it doesn't seem like she's coming back in the other games, because her character wasn't important enough. I'm glad Jonah came back I missed him. I think it would have made for a dramatic ending for the first game if Sam died, although I don't know if Lara would've been able to leave the island, because I'm not sure if Himiko would have been angry still so maybe the storms would have continued.

On topic, I think you guys are right I just got bored with it. I pretty much planned on playing Rise just to see Jacob again and I know after Lara realized he was the prophet there was no point in playing. I did want to see the final cut scene but I can see that online.

Tihocan
14th Feb 2017, 02:15
I think most people abandon their second playthrough, even with games they really enjoy. I love the Gears of War series but have never completed a 2nd run.
I play PS4 RotTR occasionally, after having completed it on Xbox360. I'm just past the part where Lara rescues the tribe and fights a bunch of bad guys in the ruins.
I still enjoy the combat (after the delay was fixed) and really am just messing about.

Error96_
15th Feb 2017, 00:12
The first game I have replayed about 10 times or more. I can't get enough of it. I did like the story but there's something about this second game that stops me from going forward. Maybe it's the story line since I know what happens but that doesn't make sense since I knew what happened story line wise in the first game.

I'm not really apologizing or anything like that. I know it's my game and I can do what I want with it. I basically want to know if anyone else has experienced this?

I think it is more that with story-line based games that you have kind of done it and it feels more hard work to go again. I have done both reboot titles three times and will probably be a long time till next playthrough. On first playthrough I liked them more than the earlier Crystal TR's. However I have played Legend and the LC titles far more times through. The reboot titles (and TRU) have too many secrets rather than fewer, better hidden ones and the hub based system feels less replayable than a level based format.

Off topic but I read recently I think on a TR wiki or something (don't know exactly) that Sam was supposed to die in the first game.

Reboot writer Rhianna Prachett said that the original ending to TR(2013) was to kill off Sam in a reboot. Apparently it was written that way but the game testers said that the game was too depressing with all the crew being killed so they rewrote it last minute though Rhianna wasn't right impressed with changing it. I haven't got the link to the interview though but kind of agree with Rhianna that the end felt a little fudged.

Lara_Fan_84
18th Feb 2017, 01:36
I think it is more that with story-line based games that you have kind of done it and it feels more hard work to go again. I have done both reboot titles three times and will probably be a long time till next playthrough. On first playthrough I liked them more than the earlier Crystal TR's. However I have played Legend and the LC titles far more times through. The reboot titles (and TRU) have too many secrets rather than fewer, better hidden ones and the hub based system feels less replayable than a level based format.

Reboot writer Rhianna Prachett said that the original ending to TR(2013) was to kill off Sam in a reboot. Apparently it was written that way but the game testers said that the game was too depressing with all the crew being killed so they rewrote it last minute though Rhianna wasn't right impressed with changing it. I haven't got the link to the interview though but kind of agree with Rhianna that the end felt a little fudged.

Thanks for the confirmation. I wasn't really sad about any of the characters dying in the first game, because I thought they were sort of boring characters except Roth that was sad I cried. Thanks for the confirmation though. :)

Bridgetkfisher
1st Mar 2017, 04:00
Biggest problem for me and what killed many TR communities around the world was the complete insult to the character done in the reboot. The character now is uneducated, and literally printed out a fake college degree and used it to lie to her own father. These arent traits anyone can admire or look up to unlike the original Croft who was a world class Archaeologist, intelligent, athletic, working hard to be the best of the best. Now its more like the opposite, the character is average, dull, bland, by ripping off the whole hunger games thing of using a bow there is nothing iconic about the current character. Reboot Lara is so weak minded and fragile that she was literally shown in a therapists office crying about problems in life. Who would want to play any game like that?

The gameplay does match the intellect of the reboot character in many ways, rather than how original games focused on mental puzzle solving and finding clues, now its more about mindlessly killing anything that moves which comes off more like a cheap COD clone than anything unique to itself which defined the original series and made the character an Icon. In this game if a player is ever confused or cant find something, they literally just hit a button making reboot lara go into super psychic mode knowing where everything with some kind of predator like vision to see through trees and objects, removing any sense of exploration which is sad since that part of adventuring was what made the games so great in the past.

Hope a new team or fresh ideas could return the series to its former glory, it seems many people there never even completed a single original Tomb Raider game, which may explain why the series got so off track destroying everything that made the original great since they cant know what made the series great if they never even finished the games? It would be awesome if SE or if CD could find some way to just let everyone sit around for a week coming to work but only to play the original TR games. Maybe even livestream it since many in the community would love seeing the team struggle through those puzzles like we did, all hating it while doing it, but that satisfaction at pulling it off is the best feeling :D

pauleddie22
6th Mar 2017, 20:08
I agree that there isn't much replay value in ROTTR. I did enjoy the delayed game on PS4 though when I was FINALLY able to get my hands on it last October 2016 - though it cannot be considered memorable as the early games are.

So far, I replay all TR games from Classic TR1 to TR Anniversary and start again. I do not play TR Underworld, TR Reboot and Rise of the Tomb Raider again. The entire Expedition Card usage in ROTTR is a bad idea. The only add on I did like was Croft Manor. It is a shame more of the Manor was not revealed for exploration or the Manor grounds like TRIII.

In ROTTR Cold Darkness DLC was ruined by Nadia's constant annoying interruptions every few minutes. Even Lara had to tell her to shut up at one point as she had enemies to fight. The constant helicopter noise too was very distracting. The infected attacked too frequently as well to the point of being tiresome and boring. The Chemical Plant puzzles were good though.

I think Crystal Dynamics should use their first release TR Legend and TR Anniversary (copy of TR1) as a guide as that will make sure it stays as close as possible to the Classic Tomb Raider level design and gameplay that made Lara such a gaming icon.

Gitb97
6th Mar 2017, 20:57
No I do actually agree with you. I haven't replayed it, well, I began to, then gave up. The last time I really enjoyed Rise was when the manor DLC came out - now THAT was fun, but the base game, meh. Loved it the first playthrough, got to the bit where Lara is in those icy caves for my second playthrough, and yaaaaaaawn.

It's funny cause if LAU became backwards compatible, you can guarentee I'd be playing it nonstop. I repeated that trilogy at least 10x + each.

Lara_Fan_84
7th Mar 2017, 00:21
I feel bad for complaining in a way, because the people who made the game worked so hard to make players happy. I know they can't please everyone. Mostly people begged for swimming and Croft Manor which we got. I couldn't care either way if we got swimming or not but it was nice to be in Croft Manor. I really got into Blood Ties and I really like the letter Lara reads from Winston about Lara locking him in the freezer which was an obvious nod to TR 3.

I know some people have complained about this reboot and how we're not raiding tombs and having the same type of adventure type game as the previous TR games and how Lara doesn't have the same knowledge she has in the other games. But, reboot should be pretty obvious. It should have been from the beginning. We all knew this was a younger version of Lara and that she had to build up her skills and eventually become the Lara Croft we know. I feel like she's already pretty knowledgeable in history like any relics you find she knows where it originated and what time period it was from, etc. I kind of like going through the journey with Lara in taking the steps to learn what she knows or what she's learning, etc.

Lara_Fan_84
7th Mar 2017, 00:25
I agree that there isn't much replay value in ROTTR. I did enjoy the delayed game on PS4 though when I was FINALLY able to get my hands on it last October 2016 - though it cannot be considered memorable as the early games are.

So far, I replay all TR games from Classic TR1 to TR Anniversary and start again. I do not play TR Underworld, TR Reboot and Rise of the Tomb Raider again. The entire Expedition Card usage in ROTTR is a bad idea. The only add on I did like was Croft Manor. It is a shame more of the Manor was not revealed for exploration or the Manor grounds like TRIII.

In ROTTR Cold Darkness DLC was ruined by Nadia's constant annoying interruptions every few minutes. Even Lara had to tell her to shut up at one point as she had enemies to fight. The constant helicopter noise too was very distracting. The infected attacked too frequently as well to the point of being tiresome and boring. The Chemical Plant puzzles were good though.

I think Crystal Dynamics should use their first release TR Legend and TR Anniversary (copy of TR1) as a guide as that will make sure it stays as close as possible to the Classic Tomb Raider level design and gameplay that made Lara such a gaming icon.

I agree about being able to explore Croft Manor more, because 90% of the rooms were boarded up. I would have liked to have seen Lara's room, the kitchen with a freezer you can open, maybe a luxurious bathroom but again it seems that the storm destroyed most of the house but I feel like Crystal Dynamics took the easy way out of Croft Manor. I know there was still a lot to explore and find letters and journal entries and learn more about Lara's father but if they decide to make another Croft Manor it would be nice if there was more to explore and interact with.

reignfyre77
19th Mar 2017, 16:29
Wow.... thanks for the major spoiler asshat. I haven't finished the game yet but was curious about the second playthrough. You didn't need to mention the bit about Jacob in you 2nd sentence with no warning whatsoever. Who is moderating here?