PDA

View Full Version : Elevating a room above another ..

isis
18th Nov 2002, 20:56
This might be a difficult question to explain but here goes. Why is it you can sometimes position a room over another room (in order to create a door), right click on the raise room button and the upper room automatically raises to the correct height (i.e. if the ceiling of the bottom room is 12 the upper room's floor automatically becomes 12) - but then other times you try the same trick and the upper room elevates way beyond what it should, so the floor would become something daft like 60? (and if you forget to check that the elevation is correct and try and connect a door you get huge chimney like structure - weird).

I've looked in the manual and there's nothing in there. I thought maybe it was because there were other rooms below the lower room but no, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. :confused:

Data
18th Nov 2002, 22:22
In order to connect two room vertically, the floor of the upper room should be the same as the ceiling in the lower room:

upper room = 20 ceiling - 10 floor
lower room = 10 ceiling - 0 floor

If you do this any other way, you will get anomalous results.

TenChen
18th Nov 2002, 23:05
To raise the room by 1 block LEFT click on Room + & -
and do as data explains

When you RIGHT click It moves the current room to The Highest Ceiling and the Lowest Floor In the Whole Project,

This way you can build a tower/pit of rooms with out constantly LEFT clicking
(I don't think everyone knows this trick :p )

Data
18th Nov 2002, 23:08
Originally posted by TenChen

(I don't think everyone knows this trick :p )

Correct TenChen, however my ever dexterous digits are more than up to the challenge :D

TenChen
18th Nov 2002, 23:16
Originally posted by Data
Correct TenChen, however my ever dexterous digits are more than up to the challenge :D

I belive its over 4 million clicks per second ? I bet you get though a few mice a month :p

isis
19th Nov 2002, 13:59
When you RIGHT click It moves the current room to The Highest Ceiling and the Lowest Floor In the Whole Project,

This way you can build a tower/pit of rooms with out constantly LEFT clicking
(I don't think everyone knows this trick :p ) [/B]

Tenchen - are you saying that if you have a project of say 20 rooms, all different heights that right clicking would position a room automatically to above the highest room or below the lowest room regardless of the height of the room beneath/above the room you are elevating?

eTux
19th Nov 2002, 14:31
Not exactly, this is how and what happens

If you have a new room next to a stackings of rooms where the ceiling of the stacked rooms is 60, and right clock on the +, it automatically lifts the new room so high, so the floor level would fit with the ceiling level of the highest room nearby (very usefull if you really need to stack that room to those) If you will put the new room in a place where there are no rooms nearby, the raise room option will move the room only 1 click higher. If you have rooms nearby that are higher than your desired elevation, better rely on the good ol' left click ;)

Hope this is clear enough :)

isis
19th Nov 2002, 20:57
Hi Etux - thanks for replying ! When you say "nearby" though, do you mean the room you are raising or lowering is overlapping or touching or not touching but very close to another room? I'm not sure if this makes a difference but it might.

I have just done a bit of experimenting with my project which has loads of rooms. I created a new room and placed it over another room which was not connected to any of the other rooms, right clicked and it went up to the correct height above that room. I then placed the new room over a room in the connected rooms and again it went up to the correct height, I tried with several others and it lowered or raised to the correct height until I came to one which had a floor of -15 and a ceiling of -7. I right clicked on the lower room button and my new room went down to floor -44 and ceiling -32 which is way out. I then went round to the other connected rooms I had tried and again the new room was going up or down too far. I then tried with a loose room and it elevated to the correct height. I went back to the room where it first went wrong (with floor -15 and ceiling -7) right clicked on lower room button and the room went down to the correct level.

Well this is more or less how it happened, but the upshot is the room where it first went wrong later worked correctly.

I'm wondering if something I did when it went wrong somehow knocked out the editor's "calculator" so it miscalculated but then taking the room back to a loose room resets the calculation.

I wonder why they don't put things like this in the manual? Did I see somewhere someone doing an unofficial manual with new things added? If so maybe we should put this in there too.

TenChen
19th Nov 2002, 21:22
I have noticed the way it can be off at times, and assumed it was because it was elevating it to the higest and lowest points in the whole PRJ, maybe its just a glitch that happens and wasnt worth mentioning in the actual manual

isis
20th Nov 2002, 20:40
Yes Tenchen I suppose it could be just a glitch or there might be rules on how to use it, i.e. say if a room is higher at one end perhaps the editor calculates the average between the height at one end and the other and puts it in the middle (although why I don't know). Only the people who made the thing probably know the answer and they ain't telling!

Which brings me to another thought - why is it Core and Eidos are so reluctant to provide support for the editor? I know it's been discussed before and I'm not being antagonistic here, it's just that well if I had created a game and editor like TRLE and it was my "baby" I'd get such a kick out of knowing people were using the thing I'd be more than happy to share my knowledge. I dare say people like TRWad and Turbo Pascal feel the same way about their programs, when people ask questions about them, at least they know we're interested. Or maybe I'm just being sentimental. ;) But really although a lot of problems are solved by the forum members and we are able to find the answers ourselves, sometimes there are things that only the makers of the program would know. Would it really be such a big thing for them to stop by now and again and say "well actually the answer to that is ....".

Just a thought. :D