PDA

View Full Version : TR4 can't cope with my level!

Dan the Jazzman
17th Nov 2002, 23:35
I think I've been working too hard...

My level is nearly finished (just another two or three rooms yet) but I think it's too big for the TR4 exe to take... I added a bit more and converted it but when I loaded it it crashed back to the desktop! So I panicked but managed to get it to work again by deleting some other rooms I wasn't using. So I tried it again and it worked fine (I think..)

Then I experimented with adding some more rooms to see how far it would go before cutting out again. I noticed that when it gets near the limit I can't trigger more than a few enemies at once (and I need to trigger several in some places). I don't think this should be a problem- from what I've tried I think I'll be able to finish the level before running out of space/memory/whatever. I think it's related to the number of polygons- I have 104 rooms and a few flipmaps. Deleting a flipmap I didn't like very much seemed to help a lot.

Although if anyone has had this problem before I'd be grateful for any information as to what's causing it and how I can avoid it. I've still got some building work left and I'd like to know if I'm pushing the boundaries here.

On a lighter note, my level IS nearly finished, and should be released within a week or two. It's set in the lesser colony of Atlantis and Lara is searching for a second scion. Well, I'm still working on a story for it or something. I've tried to recreate the sort of puzzles and atmosphere from TR1 as closely as possibly, since that's my favourite. And there are some effects I've created which I promise you'll never have seen before in a custom level and you'd never expect with the TR4 engine (I'll say no more but I'll probably release a proper WAD file with something in it afterwards ;) ) Anyway, look out for it, I've worked hard on it and I promise you'll enjoy it!!

Ps. I'll get a screenshot ASAP

Collin
18th Nov 2002, 00:18
If you feel you are limited by the limitations, you can always split the level up. ;)

cornchild
18th Nov 2002, 00:24
I cant wait to see some screenshots.

Dan the Jazzman
18th Nov 2002, 18:56
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/31101397/bc/Shared/__hr_1.jpg?bcbSU29Ar3IDEj83

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/31101397/bc/Shared/__hr_2.jpg?bcbSU29AZCAKwWY3

Heh, I lowered the resolution to take those. More coming soon, hopefully!

I also wrote some music based on the TR1 themes for it too! It's going to be great! :) :) :)

MountainDewNut
18th Nov 2002, 19:04
:eek: That looks great!

cornchild
18th Nov 2002, 21:53
I can not see the screens.