PDA

View Full Version : Windows problem

Chiefdreams
17th Nov 2002, 00:03
It seems lately that when I exit Thievery my computer crashes and then when it reboots I get a "dived overflow error" or "Windows protection error" and it takes all kind of work to get it to boot again. I even tried re-installing windows but no help. The next thing to do is to reformat but I realy don't want to go there.
I'm just whining here folks......arrrgh!

Huntress
17th Nov 2002, 01:54
Argggghhhh me too for you Chief!!! I'm so sorry to see your having such difficulties :( Can you run Scandisk, etc...or do you have a diagnostics proggie? I assume you must have checked your devices manager to see if everything is still OK there...all componets still installed and recognized properly? Nothing "unknown"...I'm surely no techie but just suggesting a little in case something overlooked ;) I know you said you tried reinstalling Windows...whatever ver. that is but sometimes other things can get out of whack that you don't expect would for whatever reason. I wish you the best in finding the answer soon...we all know how frustrating that can get! Ta and Good Hunting!

LeatherMan
17th Nov 2002, 02:32
You are in a bad situation there Chief.

Have you recently installed any new hardware or software? updated drivers (particularly video/sound)? Have you scanned for viruses, using the latest virus definitions?

I would suggest running msconfig (Start>Run>msconfig) and using Selective startup or Diagnostic startup to troubleshoot (read Help for info).

Good luck.

BmanRogue
18th Nov 2002, 02:39
you may want to check with the folks over at http://www.annoyances.org/
they really seem to have alot of good Windows info.

Good luck,

Vanguard
18th Nov 2002, 06:22
Since you get an kernel error on a subsequent reboot, the first thing that I'd look at would be the drivers used for the mass storage device(s); i.e., the drivers for your hard drives whether IDE or SCSI.

Are the hard drives attached to the motherboard IDE ports or to a daughtercard IDE controller? The daughtercards have to load their own BIOS during bootup and require drivers separate from the mobo IDE drivers, and are often installed as though they are SCSI devices (i.e., the IDE daughtercard drivers go classified under the SCSI devices in Device Manager).

I have the Promise Ultra100 daughtercard IDE controller. It does manage on rare occasion to get "hung" in that an error on the drive (which is a critical subsystem) will manifest itself on a warm reboot. Promise's drivers also have a compatibility problem with a Windows built-in SCSI (scsiport.sys, I think) that still exists in their latest version driver but is more stable than prior driver versions. The only way to fully reset the Promise controller is to power cycle the computer.

Are you using a VIA motherboard? If so, have you installed the VIA 4-in-1 driver package?

If your hard drives are attached to the mobo IDE ports, are you using the busmaster drivers provided by the mobo vendor or the generic ones included in Windows?

Is your BIOS setup for Auto in detecting the devices on its IDE ports (i.e., the hard drives)? Or are specific cylinder, track, and sector settings entered there? Is LBA (large block addressing) mode enabled?

Chiefdreams
18th Nov 2002, 14:53
All good suggestions.
I have the latest 4 in one's, no daughter card.I'm useing the drivers in the VIA 4 in 1. (Bus master) and I used auto select in bios and LBA.
I have discovered that it seems only to be connected with Thievery. The computer hangs or crashes sometimes while playing or after I quit playing the computer crashes and restarting is a nightmare. Perhaps it's DirectX81b or Whatever. I disabled 3D sound but that made no change.

Vanguard
18th Nov 2002, 16:31
Windows pends up disk write operations as part of its caching. Disable the Windows caching and you'll see just how slow are even the fastest IDE drives. When the system crashes, all those pending disk writes are lost.

Do you have other background programs running. Some are more capable of recovering after a system crash than others. You might want to use msconfig to disable all startup programs and see if you can deliberately make Thievery crash your system. Then check if it reboots okay without all the old programs loading on Windows startup.

I don't play Thievery so I do not know if it loads something in the boot files (config.sys and autoexec.bat) or on Windows startup. If it does, perhaps a file that it reads is the one that got corrupted or truncated on the crash and it is failing on loading on Windows startup.

Chiefdreams
18th Nov 2002, 16:33
Thanks, I'll try that, however I'm leaving on a 6 day trip but I'll try that probably Sat night. Thanks again.