PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP vs. ME/98/200???

Snickrep03
14th Nov 2002, 04:20
Whats the difference between windows xp and windows 98/ME/and 2000?

I hear that windows xp is basically windows 2000, but just with a nicer look. I have XP and I do not really like XP to tell you the truth. I don't care much for the nice style. I could go for a windows 95 look anyday :). I miss playing those old games :(

Should I upgrade to Windows Me or Windows 98 2nd edition? Are those O/S' good for games/newer games? Or do newer games require XP? Whats the difference between ME and 98?

DaveJ
14th Nov 2002, 09:07
You can't upgrade from XP to Me or 98. XP is the latest version. The others are a step backwards...a big one.

Stick with it...its the most stable Windows version yet (no crashes on mine for over a year since I installed it!)

You can change the look of XP to resemble the old windows scheme, (right click desktop, go to properties/Themes and choose windows classic from the pull down list) and you could possibly get your old games to run under compatibility mode.(right click the shortcut for the game, go to properties/compatibility)

Windows Me and 98 are basically the same OS with a few bug fixes.

Stick with XP...especially for those newer games.

I wouldn't go back to 98 or Me if I was paid to.

THE True Lara
14th Nov 2002, 10:23
Doesn't the loss of DOS bother you?

GoranAgar
14th Nov 2002, 11:05
I think the only DOS command he knows is 'format'.

DaveJ
14th Nov 2002, 13:47
Its still there if you need it...which I never did.

Snickrep03
14th Nov 2002, 14:25
I've been using XP for two years now. I don't plan on upgrading because I know you can't. But I am building my own pc and customizing it over the net. I don't really like XP. I would rather go for something more simple. Also I hate the new XP look. I would rather have ME and 98 and also there is a program that lets you change the design of windows. This program is for me/98/2000/and xp.

DaveJ
14th Nov 2002, 17:31
There are loads of skinning applications to let you change the look of windows...windowblinds being one of the most popular.

But you can change the look of windows xp as described above.

But to sacrifice the stability of xp just because of its appearance is a little extreme...not mention possibly self-defeating.

If you like a simple look, there are a million and one options in xp you can turn off to make it more simplistic.

Snickrep03
14th Nov 2002, 19:06
I understand you are trying to help. but I know about changing the looks to classic windows and adusting the performence. I just don't like the way XP runs games. Sorry if I did not make that clear earlier. I just need to know if new games will work with windows ME? How do games run on WME? But then again, maybe I should stick with XP. Please post your thoughts. :)

DaveJ
15th Nov 2002, 08:43
Bottom line:
I experienced many crashes with games under Windows 98 and Windows Me....the blue screen of death was a more common sight than the actual game was.

I've not had a game crash on me in over a year now since I installed Windows XP upon its release. I've not had any difficulty installing a game on it either....even the TR games work fine on it.

As time goes on, every new game will be optimised for XP, and less and less will be compatible with older OS'. Some already don't work under Windows 95.

It makes sense to be future proof, I personally can't see the logic in wanting to go back to an older, unstable, outdated OS.

Your other option is a dual boot system, letting you choose to boot in either Windows 98 or XP.

Edit: When you say you don't like the way "XP handles games"....what do you mean specifically

The Gamester
15th Nov 2002, 17:10
:rolleyes: It depends on what you run on your computer system. Windows XP is based on the Windows NT platform. It wasn't designed to run games, just applications. When Windows XP first came out, there were a lot of hype over it. Microsoft claim it was the most stable Windows ever and it is backward compatiable. In other words, it can run computer programs older than 1995. I found this to be false. XP can't run DOS based programs. Not even in its compatability mode. It can simulate DOS functions but that is as far as it can go. Although XP do experience crashes less often these errors, sometime fatal, could still occur. XP Home Edition will run games certified by Microsoft to run on Windows 2000 or later. Any games with a release date of 1995 or earlier is out of luck. Personally I perfer Windows ME. Despite its critical flaw of suffering fatal errors, this version of Windows can run almost every conceivable program since Windows 95's release. If there is going to further Windows releases I hope Microsoft techs will take this into consideration. :rolleyes:

DaveJ
15th Nov 2002, 18:10
Doubtful...technology should move forwards, not get stuck in the past.

Its like expecting your DVD player to be able to play your old Betamax tapes.

(I know dual video machines exist....don't go there.)

Snickrep03
15th Nov 2002, 21:33
are there any other windows visual changers besides windows blinds? Any other products that Stardock does not make?

DaveJ
16th Nov 2002, 08:34
Type "windows skinning" on a good search engine, like Google.
;)

DKSM
16th Nov 2002, 17:35
Let me shed some light on topic. (Hopefully I won't shed hair as well ;))

I recently got XP because of computer problems with 98. I have two computers, and only one box for the internet(digital cable). I did not like the idea of running wires through my house as I didn't know how long I would keep the computers in the spot, nor do I like people working in my house, so I got a Linksys Wireless connection that wirelessly connected to my computer upstairs. This was also good as I could connect my computer to the printer too, so I only needed one printer.

Sadly, it didn't work well under 98, so I needed to upgrade to XP. XP worked great. No problems and my connection went from "Ok" to "Excellent". The look is great, the stability is great, games run great on it. I have nothing bad to say about it, except that I wish I had gotten it sooner.

Netslider
16th Nov 2002, 22:18
I like the menus and visuals of windows xp, but I don't like it at all because it has many imcompability problems:
some games that I own don't work with it(some of them are even just 1 year old), some trle tools don't work, DIV2(you might not know it but it is a game programing language that is similar to Pascal, but optimized for games) Games Studio doesn't work, even the autorun from some cd's don't work, and many others don't work at all or fully.
Ofcourse there is the compability mode, but that never worked for me.
I'd prefer to have windows 98 rather than windows xp.

Dad
17th Nov 2002, 04:41
Originally posted by The Gamester
:rolleyes: It depends on what you run on your computer system. Windows XP is based on the Windows NT platform. It wasn't designed to run games, just applications. When Windows XP first came out, there were a lot of hype over it. Microsoft claim it was the most stable Windows ever and it is backward compatiable. In other words, it can run computer programs older than 1995. I found this to be false. XP can't run DOS based programs. Not even in its compatability mode. It can simulate DOS functions but that is as far as it can go. Although XP do experience crashes less often these errors, sometime fatal, could still occur. XP Home Edition will run games certified by Microsoft to run on Windows 2000 or later. Any games with a release date of 1995 or earlier is out of luck. Personally I perfer Windows ME. Despite its critical flaw of suffering fatal errors, this version of Windows can run almost every conceivable program since Windows 95's release. If there is going to further Windows releases I hope Microsoft techs will take this into consideration. :rolleyes:

I could not have said this better.
The way to go is to create a Dual Boot system, just add a second HD with ME on it for the games that won't play on XP.
Second of all IF you want security for your financial data then XP on a NTFS partition and ME/9x can't see it.

JunoJIm
17th Nov 2002, 06:09
Interesting... I built a new puter, and loaded my old Win98SE on it - runs everything from Wolfenstein thru NOLF, no probs...

Also, I got a very nice HP T45 printer cheap, from a friend who was tired of trying to get it to work with her XP... sooo, I like XP too...

Snickrep03
17th Nov 2002, 06:26
so you can have to operating systems at once? I can have XP and then switch to ME if I want to play games? How do I do this?

DaveJ
17th Nov 2002, 09:32
Ask for a dual boot system when ordering your OS.

One with XP, one with 98/Me.

As a further aside, it amazes me how many people forget to look for updated drivers when something 'refuses to work' under XP....
;)
I think we will pretty soon hit a crossover point wherein people with older OS' won't be able to run newer games.

LadyLC
17th Nov 2002, 11:29
Originally posted by DaveJ
As a further aside, it amazes me how many people forget to look for updated drivers when something 'refuses to work' under XP....

....and for your further amazement, I was one of those many who suffered a crippling crash that left me cursing XP and its creators, until I found out that all I needed to do was download a free driver from the Canon website for my incompatible printer, and my vocabulary went back to a U rating:D

Godfather
17th Nov 2002, 12:28
What I wanna know is whether it's still possible to play Tomb Raider I with the latest Windows-versions? I don't think Tomb Raider II and III will have a problem to run with the latest and future windows-versions, but Tomb Raider I works through DOS or something like that. I would very much like to know actually. Is a special program required to be able to play the first Tomb Raidre-game or will it always be possible? :confused:

JunoJIm
18th Nov 2002, 05:16
I hear there's something called Glidos, that makes it look better - any expert help out there ???

I'm keeping an old puter, just to run old games - why throw it / them away ??? (until something comes out that makes them seem like Pac Man - LOL)

V_Croft
18th Nov 2002, 15:04
I have XP Home Edition and I'm very satisfied. Very stable, I absolutely love the new design plus I can run all games easily with compatibility... As a matter of fact, all the new games do support XP.

Josi
18th Nov 2002, 20:55
hi,
I'm thinking about getting xp because I'm having more and more problems with '98. Now I'm sharing the internetconnection with my son (wireless) and he's using '98se. Can this cause problems with the software? I really would like to know if xp on one pc and '98se on the other could be a problem (maybe not but I don't know anything about this) Does any of you know?

DaveJ
19th Nov 2002, 09:10
Should be OK josi....XP is easier to configure for networking than 98....but they should still be compatible.

Josi
19th Nov 2002, 14:11
thanks Dave :) I was just worried about spending a lot of money for even more trouble :D

Nena
27th Nov 2002, 23:07
I recently got a laptop xp is in it. I think xp is crapy i dont like it that much at times is confusing but ill better stick with it.

DaveJ
28th Nov 2002, 08:49
And to think...they simplified its interface (optionally) to make it more user-friendly.....

TheBoo
28th Nov 2002, 13:13
Bottom line:
I experienced many crashes with games under Windows 98 and Windows Me....the blue screen of death was a more common sight than the actual game was. (edited quote)

Just to show that any combination of problems (or the lack thereof) can happen, I've not had the BSOD even once as long as I've had my PC with Win98se (2 years). I'll wait for my next pc purchase to upgrade my OS.

RaiderKiller
2nd Dec 2002, 14:32
You want my input? Probably not but ur gonna get it anyway!

Quit following the pack!!!!!! Just cos M$ wondows is the most know doesnt mean its the best. Under windows i have run 98se with no probs at all but to be honest with latest patches ive got alo of games to run under Linux *dreams of day when the penguin crushes M$ like an ant*
Try different things experiment and lose XP unles u want M$ knowing everything aobut u including all your internet fantasies ;)

DaveJ
2nd Dec 2002, 15:07
Nobody has adequately explained to me exactly what Microsoft are supposed to do with all this private information they allegedly glean from XP users...or indeed from anyone who accesses the internet with cookies enabled.

Do they gather round a monitor at the Microsoft Xmas party and have a private s****** over John Hughes from Walthamstow who visits Nursesinleather.com?

GoranAgar
2nd Dec 2002, 15:30
This is because we don't know exactly. But when you register your Windows online there is additional unexplained communication, when you open your Windows Media Player, there is additional unexplained communication. I don't care what he is doing with the information he is sucking from my machine, but it is none of his business what I am watching on my computer or having installed on my system. I don't tell Audi or Ford where I drive my car and where I get my gasoline. And I have curtains in my windows for the same reason you have.

Try to read something about that TCPA chip, Digital Rights Management and the Palladium "Security" System. That is most certainly not an idea he had last week.

DaveJ
2nd Dec 2002, 15:44
So its all for Bill Gates to personally peruse?

GoranAgar
2nd Dec 2002, 15:56
So its all for Bill Gates to personally peruse?
I don't know. And I am pretty sure I don't want to know.

BTW, Dave, your webcam fell down. I put it back on it's place. ;)

DaveJ
2nd Dec 2002, 16:47
Thanks for that.... I got bored looking at your carpets....

Lara's_brother
2nd Dec 2002, 21:08
Why not have XP & ME I've got both on one computer. XP PRO on one partition & ME on another this works very well as each serves their own purpose