PDA

View Full Version : Networking Probs. Need help

Thorin Oakenshield
14th Nov 2002, 00:12
I have my pc running win xp pro and my wifes running win2k pro.

Each pc can see the other and read shared files But:rolleyes: NOT internet sharing.
My pc connects to the net via DSL USB modem. I have enabled ICS. I made a setup floppy for ICS but this won't run on win2k.

On my wifes pc I set up an internet connection via LAN.

Any idea's please cos this is driving me crazy:mad: :rolleyes:

BTW both machines have 3com network cards.

LeatherMan
14th Nov 2002, 00:27
You need another NIC in the computer that connects directly to the internet. You are effectively setting up 2 networks here, internet and LAN, and you must keep them seperated. A good suggestion is to use different brands of NICs so you reduce confusion on which card is internet or LAN. Example: 3Com for LAN, Linksys for internet.

Another way is with a broadband router, which also acts as a firewall. If you go this route, you do not need to use ICS.

Thorin Oakenshield
14th Nov 2002, 00:58
Thanks Leatherman,
Why do I need 2 Nic's in my pc?:confused: And how should I set them up?
Thanks again;)

Komag
14th Nov 2002, 01:21
I use a DSL/CABLE Broadband Router - it works GREAT - the cable goes to my cable modem, then the network cable goes from the modem to the Router, and network cables go from there to both my computer and my wifes. It works GREAT and I've been very pleased. The only problem is that they aren't cheap - mine was a cheap one at just $60.00!

LeatherMan
14th Nov 2002, 01:46
Have a look at this article hosted by PracticallyNetworked.com (http://www.practicallynetworked.com/):

Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing (http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/)

Thorin Oakenshield
14th Nov 2002, 11:17
Thanks for the info guys;)

When my wife tries to connect she gets the cannot find..... in I.E.
Yet my pc connects to the net So something is trying to work:confused:

Leatherman, I didn't notice on that site anything about needing 2 nics:confused: I did notice a page for configuring win2k though. I've asked my bro if I can borrow his spare nic though, because ICS Help in XP does say use 2 nics.

Just to rub salt in my wounds my future bro in-law has a dsl network. 2 pc's, 1 nic each running win98 happily sharing internet connection. I think he also used WinProxy 4 software. I thought XP pro and win2k was the daddy for networking:confused: :rolleyes:

Time to buy a BB Router. I can get one for £50 but a new motherboard and gfx card come first!!!:D

Thanks again Guys;)

LeatherMan
14th Nov 2002, 13:46
Originally posted by Thorin Oakenshield
Leatherman, I didn't notice on that site anything about needing 2 nics:confused: I did notice a page for configuring win2k though. I've asked my bro if I can borrow his spare nic though, because ICS Help in XP does say use 2 nics.

Just to rub salt in my wounds my future bro in-law has a dsl network. 2 pc's, 1 nic each running win98 happily sharing internet connection. I think he also used WinProxy 4 software. I thought XP pro and win2k was the daddy for networking:confused: :rolleyes:

Time to buy a BB Router. I can get one for £50 but a new motherboard and gfx card come first!!!:D

Thanks again Guys;) The info about 2 NICs is somewhat difficult to find, but is there. This is what it says:

Preparing for ICS

The ICS server computer must have two network connections: one for the Internet, and one for the local area network. The Internet connection may be a dial-up (PPP or ISDN), cable modem, DSL, or other broadband Ethernet connection. The LAN connection may be a wired, wireless, or even a USB Ethernet connection.
(emphasis mine)The broadband router is a good idea, though, as it provides a firewall as well. It may also be easier to setup and make changes in the future.

As for your brothers setup, it may be the additional software that allows his sharing with one NIC only. Then again, he could be using a USB modem. :confused:

Thorin Oakenshield
14th Nov 2002, 16:20
Thanks for pointing that bit out LM I must have missed it. It's virtually what the ICS help said.

He is using a USB modem. It's the same as mine:confused: Oh well I suppose the wife can use my machine for the internet until I get a bb router.

I suppose I'll get twice as much spam now:rolleyes: :(

bravus
14th Nov 2002, 18:00
Thorin, if you have a USB modem you don't need two NICs: one would have been to connect to the other computer, and the other one to connect to the modem, but that connection is USB instead. Using the info in this thread so far you should have no hassles setting up ICS on that network with the hardware you already have, but I'd add my voice to the advice to pick up a (probably 4 port) router. It provides a heap more security (unless you put in a *lot* of research and work, connecting directly to the net from your Windows box is highly insecure) and also makes life simpler, and gives you room to grow the network. It's also lovely for just adding a laptop in and out of your home network, and mine also allows all our computers to share the one printer. They should be under 30 quid if you look around...

Bravus

Komag
14th Nov 2002, 18:51
Yeah, forgot to mention the ease of use in sharing the printer also. Plus, I plan to just hook up the XBox to it easily when (if) I get XBox Live :)

Peter_Smith
14th Nov 2002, 20:26
I think the router is the best solution. You don't need any internet sharing software or special setups. The router does it all (if you follow their easy setup instructions), including automatic dialling of the DSL connection. Get a router that uses address translation. This means that non-routable IP addresses for your computers are assigned by the router, so the computers themselves are unreachable from outside incoming traffic. The router, in turn, gets its IP address from your ISP. Two levels of DHCP. You can get incoming traffic only if you initiate the communication and it is in response to you. This means that the router also serves as a very effective firewall.

I use a Linksys four port router-switch. It cost about $60 at newegg.com. You don't need more ports than that on the router. You can daisy chain additional switches below the router if you need more ports.

Thorin Oakenshield
21st Nov 2002, 09:39
Thanks Guy's ;) I'll look out for a router with those spec's Peter ;)

Peter_Smith
23rd Nov 2002, 17:50
I made a typo above, just corrected. My router is a Linksys EtherFast Cable / DSL Router with 4-Port Switch, Model BEFSR41 ver. 2.

Thorin Oakenshield
24th Nov 2002, 21:03
Originally posted by bravus
Thorin, if you have a USB modem you don't need two NICs: one would have been to connect to the other computer, and the other one to connect to the modem, but that connection is USB instead. Using the info in this thread so far you should have no hassles setting up ICS on that network with the hardware you already have,...

Bravus

OK Still can't set ICS up.
Both machines now have xp pro, Mine is set up to connect directly to the net through the usb modem and the wifes is set up to connect through the network.

I used the network wizard to set it up and created the network floppy to configure the wifes machine. Still no dice:(

Should I manually configure the IP and DNS ? I have zonealarm running too but it found a new network.

LeatherMan
24th Nov 2002, 22:54
Make sure that you have TCP/IP protocol installed under your Network properties and that it is configured properly with your NIC. (I am running out of suggestions)

Can you share files between the two computers?

Thorin Oakenshield
25th Nov 2002, 16:19
I finally gave up on the idea. Then I came to it after a coffee and it was working:mad: I can transfer files and browse the net now:) Thanks for all your input ;)
Now I hope the wife will stop nagging:rolleyes: :D Yeah right!:D