PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider - growing old?

Veron20
11th Nov 2002, 18:36
Lara Croft is starting to feel the tooth of time. Agree? More and more surely think Lara's golden days comes to an end. What are your experiences? Is Lara placed in a booth nowadays??

DaveJ
11th Nov 2002, 18:52
Happens to all of us eventually.

If Core do a good job with AoD, however...her Golden days may still be ahead of her.

MountainDewNut
11th Nov 2002, 19:05
I believe that Lara's days are begining with custom levels such as Tomb Raider A by Psiko, The Rescue, Saudia Arabia. I'm creating my own Tomb Raider Game, entitled Tomb Raider: The Jade Moon (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5454), which is another set of custom levels that will hopefully be a hit.

Jade
11th Nov 2002, 19:22
lara is more or less 'immortal' because TR is so popular and i think her success will continue, even after AOD. my guess is that there will be more games - maybe even with kurtis if he's liked...

LARAMANIAC
11th Nov 2002, 21:51
Excuuuuuuuuuuuse me!!!!!!!!!! Didn't you know Veron20 - life doesn't even begin until you are over 30 dear!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/angel09.gif

Deekman
12th Nov 2002, 01:46
Some might even say 40!
http://www3.eboard.com/eboard/boards/10/67/99/SkustingsFlagEmporium/att-587897/40plusclub.jpg

Dad
12th Nov 2002, 01:59
And with age comes wisdom!

EddyBones
12th Nov 2002, 02:41
Originally posted by Dad
And with age comes wisdom!
Except in the case of Ozzy Osbourne.

Anyhow, I haven't yet beaten all the games and the Golden Age of Tomb Raider [in my mind] probably wont come to me throuh any of those. I need something new. A new control system, a better story. I believe I'll be very happy with the arrival of AOD.

thanhkim
12th Nov 2002, 17:54
Lara is like the finest french wines as she gets older she gets better. I wouldn't worry Lara has many years ahead of her, when she starts getting domesticated and having kids then I'd worry. Besides she doesn't have one grey hair on her head that will come after aod. Man she will be white by then. :D

Godfather
12th Nov 2002, 20:15
Originally posted by thanhkim
Lara is like the finest french wines as she gets older she gets better.

Bad analogy ... coz I don't like wine and I looove Lara Croft. :D

DaveJ
13th Nov 2002, 08:57
So Lara buys you an Orange juice when you take her out?
She loves the sauce, man....

Deekman
13th Nov 2002, 13:57
Originally posted by Godfather
Bad analogy ... coz I don't like wine and I looove Lara Croft.

Whaddaya mean bad analogy?
Are you saying that Lara doesn't get better with age?
Just because you don't like wine doesn't mean that that a good wine doesn't
get better with age.
Although a taste for wine might get better with a person's age.
I really hated wines, too, until very recently. Only the past five years or so.
And even at that I'm not a big wine fan. And even then only some wines.
Gimme a good cold beer any day and I'm happy.:p

Veron20
14th Nov 2002, 11:42
What's that supposed to mean?

DaveJ
14th Nov 2002, 17:34
I guess it means he disagrees with you.

The Gamester
15th Nov 2002, 17:27
:rolleyes: Frankly I think Lara is getting better as she get older. Look at all the past comic superheros. Comics had been around since the late thirties and still going strong. They had now entertained and drove the imagination of more than three generations and they will continue to do so for a long time to come. Lara Croft is the first female interactive action hero. With the introduction of the latest CGI technology she will just get better, sexier and smarter than ever before. Maybe Core Design and Eidos will drop the Tomb Raider subtitle and just call her future adventures as "The Adventures of Lara Croft?" Only time will tell. Long live the Queen! :rolleyes:

total_inferno
24th Nov 2002, 22:04
as posted by some one very early in this forum ... lara is 37-39 years old right now... i calculated it was .. 39... no wonder on the ofiical site it says shes borns on feb 14 th without the year... hmmm... when AOD is out lara would be 40... wich is still the beggining of ones life..
as I say ... "the longest day you'll ever live is the day you are living right now"

meaning... that lets see.. take me for example .. I lived about 13 years a little less... the most I think I ever lived is today.... and tommorrow I would think that day would be the longest.. but hey,.... you get the point;)

Cyber_Punk_303
24th Nov 2002, 22:29
It's not the games that make lara. It's the character. If Lara has inspired you in any way she will never leave that engrained part of your mind.

Lara may be erroding commercially, but not to her fans.

LARAMANIAC
24th Nov 2002, 23:04
Originally posted by Cyber_Punk_303
It's not the games that make lara. It's the character. If Lara has inspired you in any way she will never leave that engrained part of your mind.

Lara may be erroding commercially, but not to her fans.

Well said Cyber_Punk_303!!!! Here, here!!!! Some of us will still probably be here in the years when Lara Croft, the computer game character, has long since departed her Core death. That is to say long after they stop bringing out new Tombraider games - I rue the day!!! I am not one of the people who cannot understand that Lara is a computer game hero but, I am one of the people who loves her and the game. I'm sure I will still be playing Tombraider in another 10 years that is to say - when my life is most definitely going to begin - in my forties!!!!
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/angel09.gif

Data
24th Nov 2002, 23:07
Originally posted by The Gamester
Maybe Core Design and Eidos will drop the Tomb Raider subtitle and just call her future adventures as "The Adventures of Lara Croft?"

I believe Core Design would like to dispense with the 'Tomb Raider' title, however Eidos would not.

Personally IMO the games are and always will be Tomb Raider, it is what we expect, even if Lara Croft is no longer raiding tombs.

The name Lara Croft however, is now synonymous with an icon, a celebrity name, a house hold name, and I believe her name alone is insufficient as far as the games are concerned. If you remember, the first Tomb Raider game was 'Tomb Raider starring Lara Croft'.

Lara Croft without Tomb Raider would be like a full English breakfast without the fried bread......... there, I have said it.

DaveJ
25th Nov 2002, 09:05
Some icons are timeless, and its best not think of the logic behind it.

James Bond was in his mid 30's when the first Bond film was released 40 years ago....making him around 75 now.

Just go with it...'free your mind and your arse will follow', as Bono once said.

Deekman
25th Nov 2002, 13:40
Even Superman and Batman are still 30ish.

Godfather
25th Nov 2002, 20:46
Originally posted by DaveJ
Just go with it...'free your mind and your arse will follow', as Bono once said.

I don't think it was Bono that said this ... unless you're talking about a U2-song that I'm not familiar with. But there's this great rocksong sung by three very zzzzexy black beauties (who just might be sisters too; I should think) and ... well: they sing exactly what you came up with. Don't know the name of the band though.

Collin
25th Nov 2002, 20:51
Ah, yes, you're thinking of En Vogue. They wanted to sing that, but the record company wouldn't let them, and they had to change it to 'Free you're mind and the rest will follow'. :D
Don't know who said it first, but can anyone really know? :confused:

DaveJ
26th Nov 2002, 09:01
Bono said it as part of a Grammy/MTV award acceptance speech once.

I wouldn't have attributed a quote to him in error.

Prelude
26th Nov 2002, 20:07
Originally posted by DaveJ

She loves the sauce, man....

yeah she's a raging sauce fiend, just like me :D