PDA

View Full Version : Not Enough Disk Space....bullcrap...yes I do

BrokenArts
10th Nov 2002, 19:58
OK trying to load Christine's Search for Leon. I get this error, "You have 6M of free disk space. Thief 2 requires 35M. Thief 2 cannot run. Baloney. I have 23.9 GB of free space. :confused:

Some missions will load, and some will not, Insurrection loaded fine. Again, some missions will load, and some will not. What do I do now? :(

BrokenArts
10th Nov 2002, 20:42
Ok I ran my system through a Defrag, some files could not be defragged and that FM was one of them. I got rid of it , including the save. When I was finished, I loaded up about 3 different FM's, and they all loaded properly.

I have never gotten a message like that before, stating that somethings could not be defragged. Anything I can do there? And why they can't be defragged.

theBlackman
10th Nov 2002, 21:35
1: Zero your virtual Memory.
2: REBOOT into SAFE MODE.
3: Run DEFRAG from the System menu while in SAFE MODE
4: When done REBOOT and reset your Virtual Mem to what you want.
5: TDP and TGOLD have trouble reading large HDD. They don't expect to see so much space.
6: Try adding about 40Meg of music or something and then load the FM's and the Thief game(s) again.
7: If they install properly, then remove the Misc 40 you used.

BrokenArts
10th Nov 2002, 23:23
Thanks tBM. :) I did do a defrag, it seemed to help. No problem loading the FM's now. But, you make me think further, I need more FM's in there!! :D Pack that baby full.

theBlackman
11th Nov 2002, 01:14
Did you do your defrag with 0000 Virtual MEM, and in SAFE MODE?

Because your Virtual Mem is a file, defrag can fail because it is in use. If it is zeroed out defrag will usually get all files that are scattered.

Also here is some more info on your load problem:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thief is saying it cannot play, because I do not have enough space, even if I have a lot of free disk space: how do I fix this?
Add another 40MB or so of data to your harddisk, it will solve the problem.
This problem happens because of the way Thief checks for free disk space. Since the part that does the checking is left over from when the drive size limit was 2GB, it only sees the first 2GB with any free space on it; when this problem happens, the 2GB it sees has less than 35MB on it. Adding data to the harddisk will get around this.

Peter_Smith
11th Nov 2002, 04:21
Or use Norton Speed disk instead of Windows defrag, if you have Norton Utilities. That defrags the swap space and puts it at the beginning.

Sneak
14th Nov 2002, 06:18
Hmm, I hope this doesn't mean that when I get a new 120 gig HD that Thief will think I don't have enough space.

Tell me it isn't true. I would be flat bummed if a new drive was too big for Thief DP and Gold!

Whenever I build or buy a new system, I may just keep this one too just in case. :)

Sneak
14th Nov 2002, 06:20
Oh and Peter,
I agree with you on Nortons Speed Disc! It does the swap file and organizes everything on the HD real well depending on how often you use or modify the programs you have. Is good stuff! :)

mOdEtWo
27th Nov 2002, 10:48
Originally posted by Sneak
Tell me it isn't true. I would be flat bummed if a new drive was too big for Thief DP and Gold!
It is a simple solution to this problem...

From the Thief Series General FAQ (TTLG.com)
Thief is saying it cannot play, because I do not have enough space, even if I have a lot of free disk space: how do I fix this?
Add another 40MB or so of data to your harddisk, it will solve the problem.
This problem happens because of the way Thief checks for free disk space. Since the part that does the checking is left over from when the drive size limit was 2GB, it only sees the first 2GB with any free space on it; when this problem happens, the 2GB it sees has less than 35MB on it. Adding data to the harddisk will get around this.

:)