PDA

View Full Version : help

Godfather
10th Nov 2002, 15:36
Does anybody know how I can change the extension of songs from cd's to mp3? You see: it's impossible to copy songs directly from different cd's onto one writable disc (unless someone else who actually knows something of computers can prove me otherwise)?

DaveJ
10th Nov 2002, 15:57
Its perfectly possible.
Which OS are you using?

Data
10th Nov 2002, 17:12
You can use CDEX, it will rip from CD directly to MP3. You can get it here (http://www.cdex.n3.net/)

Then, when you have all the tracks on your hard drive; burn the CD. ;)

DaveJ
10th Nov 2002, 17:23
If you had Windows XP it does all that nonsense for you.
You pop in your CD, it asks if you want to play it or copy it, you pop in a blank CD and copy to the empty folder that opens.
You barely have time to pop the kettle on in the meantime.

Godfather
10th Nov 2002, 17:24
FANTASTIC!!!!!! I'll use that right away. Thanks a lot! I'll let you know if I have any problems, ok?

Thanks.

DaveJ
10th Nov 2002, 17:27
I take it that means you're a 98 boy.

Godfather
10th Nov 2002, 17:46
Originally posted by DaveJ
I take it that means you're a 98 boy.

Err ... actually I have Windows ME.

Godfather
10th Nov 2002, 17:55
Originally posted by Data
You can use CDEX, it will rip from CD directly to MP3. You can get it here (http://www.cdex.n3.net/)

Then, when you have all the tracks on your hard drive; burn the CD. ;)

Err ... I have one question. When wanting to download this thingy, you have to options. I haven't chosen the zip-file yet, but I did choose the exe-file (immediate installation). When I do that, he asks that I select the preferred mirror. What should I do then? I mean: what on Earth is a mirror? (and don't tell me it's that square object that allows you to look at your own face, please. I know what a mirror is, but I've never seen a mirror on the internet actually. :D)

Anyway, I started babbling again. Thanks for your help.

DaveJ
10th Nov 2002, 18:02
ME...98...a few bug fixes and a different name...but basically the same OS.

A mirror is an alternate download site. You'd usually go for the one that is geographically nearest your present location.

Godfather
10th Nov 2002, 18:09
Haaaa, yes. OS stands for Operating System. I thought you meant the animal. (OS is the Dutch word for Ox) :D

So, with that mirror-thingy, I say none, ok?

DaveJ
10th Nov 2002, 18:10
No...you go for the one nearest you.
'None' will cancel the download.

Godfather
10th Nov 2002, 18:15
No...you go for the one nearest you.
'None' will cancel the download.

Ok, that makes sense because there's one that says Brussels - Belgium. But if I click on that one I'm guided towards an entirely new site. Should I search for the download button on that entirely new site or am I just too stupid to think for myself? :(

Anyway, this is the site that he gives me after I choose the option Brussels-Belgium in that mirror-section. Help me ... I know that I sound like a little kid who hurt his arm, but I'm kind of running around in circles here.

Nevertheless, I really do appreciate your help, DaveJ.

DaveJ
10th Nov 2002, 18:18
Originally posted by Godfather
Should I search for the download button on that entirely new site or am I just too stupid to think for myself? .

Yes and yes.
;)

Godfather
10th Nov 2002, 19:36
Yes and yes.
;)

:D Ok. I'm going to try now and if it doesn't work (or I am actually too stupid :D), well: then I'll be back!

Godfather
10th Nov 2002, 19:42
Oh, my God!! *laughing out loud with myself* :D :D :D

Am I stupid or what?!!! I am stupid!! You can say it out loud, DaveJ ... I'm soo ... grrrr.

Do you know what I was doing? I was constantly pushing on the wrong button. There were two buttons ... there was the button which would lead you to the host (hence that Belgian site which I constantly got when I wanted to download this program) and there was the actual program which you could easily download by just pushing the download button. I can't believe I didn't see this the first time.

Well, I've downloaded it. i'm going to install it right now and I'll be back to keep y'all posted. If it works, you won't hear from me anymore tonight, because I'm gonna copy all my songs which I bought on single-cd to one album just to make more room.

Thanks for your help and I hope I don't have to come back here (for further explanation; that is. :D)

Polar_Andromeda
10th Nov 2002, 21:07
Hey, I have CDEx. It's a pretty good program. I downloaded it originally b/c I wanted to edit some songs w/ Audacity, but when I copied the songs from my cds to my pc, windows would save them as windows media audio. Audacity can't edit that type, so I now use CDEx to extract my songs.

Godfather
11th Nov 2002, 01:13
IT WORKED!!!! Thanks everyone!!

Thank you very, very much Data for giving me this golden link. Thank you very, very much DaveJ for giving me the right explanation and thank you very much Polar_Andromeda for ... :confused: well ... for just being a member of this forum! :D

I've got now room for 20 more cd's in my cabinet.

C y'all ... bye now!!