PDA

View Full Version : Update Error

member_10192668
14th Aug 2012, 16:03
On the title screen I am just getting a black screen. Its responsive and once I hit the enter key it loads the opening movie just fine but as soon as it gets to playable section the backgrounds disappear and its just a black screen with the charactors on it. Any ideas?

Additionally my game won't update to 1.06. The updater gives an error each time it tries to.

member_10822883
14th Aug 2012, 17:15
Having the same issue, including with updating to 1.06.

member_10192668
14th Aug 2012, 18:03
Managed to update to 1.06, stole the files from my other computer and replaced the ones on my laptop but still having the same problem.

member_10822883
15th Aug 2012, 20:14
Is anyone else having trouble updating the game from the main menu? So far I'm stuck on v1.05 and otherwise non-prerendered graphics aren't showing up so there aren't any menus or models beyond character sprites.

btk6
15th Aug 2012, 22:14
I get to 34% and then it says, "error updater downloading faild."

Aileron-276983
16th Aug 2012, 08:50
Should I wait some hours or something like that to be updated?

I've played 1 hour already and didn't get any update in my online profile
btw finalfantasyviipc.com/en/profile/Fl4mech... (http://finalfantasyviipc.com/en/profile/Fl4mechampion)

XeruXQ-254140
16th Aug 2012, 09:50
I played 4 hours and no updates -.- uninstalled it and now have to play the 4 hours again .. :(

fauli-alpha-266716
16th Aug 2012, 09:59
Having the same problem here, found no answer. I've contacted customer support, but so far no answer.

@XerUXQ

Did this work? Does your online profile update properly after reinstalling?

XeruXQ-254140
16th Aug 2012, 10:22
No it doesn't! Do not uninstall it .. you'll regret it just as I did... I lost 4 hours of playtime.

lyk13
16th Aug 2012, 11:13
Mine updated yesterday but not today. But I had another problem on hand, not sure if it's related....

Ravoz
16th Aug 2012, 11:40
Mine updated yesterday but not today. But I had another problem on hand, not sure if it's related....

Can you confirm that you were logged into the game using a North American Log in when it updated?

When pressing the "View Online Profile" it sends you to your profile page, but it is using a European Square Enix page. I'm affraid that if you are logged into the game using a North American Log in it isn't syncing to the European Square Enix, where the Final Fantasy Online Profile is stored.

If you were logged in using a NA log in then that would suggest that the syncing of your profile is just slow. And that is fine.

When trying to log in to the game using the "Default Square Enix account" option the game doesn't recognize my email. I believe this is because again the game is trying to use a European Square Enix login. And thus I have to press the NA option for it to accept my log in. But if the NA log in option isn't syncing the game data with the European profile page then I give up. SO frustrating this game has been so far X_X

lyk13
16th Aug 2012, 11:45

Can you confirm that you were logged into the game using a North American Log in when it updated?

When pressing the "View Online Profile" it sends you to your profile page, but it is using a European Square Enix page. I'm affraid that if you are logged into the game using a North American Log in it isn't syncing to the European Square Enix, where the Final Fantasy Online Profile is stored.

If you were logged in using a NA log in then that would suggest that the syncing of your profile is just slow. And that is fine.

When trying to log in to the game using the "Default Square Enix account" option the game doesn't recognize my email. I believe this is because again the game is trying to use a European Square Enix login. And thus I have to press the NA option for it to accept my log in. But if the NA log in option isn't syncing the game data with the European profile page then I give up. SO frustrating this game has been so far X_X

Yeap, I confirmed. I was on NA all along. And I noticed the European page usage as well. It led to me experimenting with something and I'm not sure if that break the syncing.

I remember the sync was quite fast yesterday. Cloud saves still work luckily.

On the Default SE account, I created one and it's linked to the EU one. Yes, besides the game working for me, and also because I am not in America. I am actually from Singapore but I managed to purchase the game. This account issue confused the hell out of me that I sent a ticket in asking for some explanation.

Ravoz
16th Aug 2012, 12:51
My profile actually just updated. I was logged into the game using a NA log-in too. Thank goodness, I was so affraid I was about to start my third fiasco since buying this game yesterday!

lyk13, thanks for the update.

Hayabuza
16th Aug 2012, 13:18
my profile got updated as well

NA account here

I guess it just takes time to sync

just be patient and good lucky to everyone :3

member_10430031
16th Aug 2012, 14:03
I'm wondering if this is an anti piracy measure that's reporting incorrectly. I have the same issue on my work computer but my home PC updated fine and displays backgrounds and menus.

tir43l
16th Aug 2012, 17:57
my profile got updated as well

NA account here

I guess it just takes time to sync

just be patient and good lucky to everyone :3

I would venture to guess that SE did not realize how many people would be buying this and playing it, so their servers are probably getting hits at a very high rate per sec from all the saves that people would be doing, plus achievement syncing and everything else.

lyk13
16th Aug 2012, 20:51
My profile actually just updated. I was logged into the game using a NA log-in too. Thank goodness, I was so affraid I was about to start my third fiasco since buying this game yesterday!

lyk13, thanks for the update.

Hey bro, mine also updated when I checked 2hrs ago after a short playing session last night. Thank goodness.

Yes Christopher. Anyway I have a legit reason to be worried, kinda screwed up my accounts between NA and EU and thought NA will not sync anymore. x_x

lyk13
16th Aug 2012, 21:25
I am thinking there is an off time when the servers don't sync. I just played it a little and profile synced immediately. That was why my initial thoughts were that its immediate.

member_10039036
19th Aug 2012, 20:14
Having the same problem, won't run on my laptop but working on my desktop, everytime I try to update it says "Can't start Updater".

If I ignore and continue, I get the Square logo FMV, but when it gets to the opening segment the screen goes black. It's running, I can hear the sounds of switching the menu, but can't see anything.

What's the point of cloud saving my cloud if I can't play on multiple machines :\

dennisharrison
21st Aug 2012, 12:25
I was initially excited about being able to play Final Fantasy VII again for a trip through nostalgia with better graphics and sound.

ERROR: Can't start the updater is what I'm stuck on - with a Retry or Continue button. Retry will produce the same result, Continue will let me 'Play' the game - and The title screen is blank. I was able to start a new game, the intro movie plays, then I see the characters with no background.

From reading the forums (there is no official support procedure for resolution with this game is there?), I've gathered that Square knows 'something is wrong' and that 'some things' have been fixed.

na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139233... (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139233/29315567/Re:_FINAL_FANTASY_VII_PC_Downloads)

So, should I expect to be able to update to 1.06 now, or is this still a known problem?

Has anyone been able to update to 1.06?

Does it solve the missing menus and backgrounds issue?

Is there any other way to obtain the patched files?

Also, is there an official support channel for the product?

--
Dennis

member_10430031
21st Aug 2012, 13:56
Hey Dennis,

There's another thread on this issue with a few more posts:

na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235... (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29320655/Graphics_-_menu_and_backgrounds_showing_up_as_black)

Feel free to post there to bump and hopefully get a response from the devs. For me I have the game installed on two PCs. One of them was able to update to 1.0.6 and the menus work fine. The other gets the updater error you get and I have the same issues you do. I tried copying the files over from the pc that would update but that didnt seem to fix the issue.

Manaknight1980
21st Aug 2012, 22:57
I'm also having an issue updating the game.

When the launcher checks for updates, it just stops at 50% and says: "Error. Can't install the updater."

I can click continue to skip the the update and play the game, but I'd hate to miss a crucial patch.

Anyone else having this issue?

xianhatesyou
22nd Aug 2012, 19:30
This occured for me on my laptop (1st machine), but my desktop (2nd) it didn't. I don't think the anti-piracy angle plays out, I think it's the ample patches and versions of drivers on my desktop. I want it to work on this laptop, but pinpointing the gap is not so simple...

SuperDave
1st Sep 2012, 23:07
I get an error (Cannot Start Updater) every time I try to start the game. I have version 1.0.5. If I press continue, and then try to play the game, nothing happens. Any ideas?

SwiftFantom
16th Oct 2012, 14:22
This is what my launcher is doing, It doesn't change when i click retry and if i hit continue it fails to load my save game and everything is a black screen since i am 1.0.6 at home. If anyone has any insight into fixing this would be much appreciated.

postimage.org/image/c1ca105h3/ (http://postimage.org/image/c1ca105h3/)

Cloud92390-480272
28th Oct 2012, 17:04
I am having the same issue, I just installed the game on my Mac running VMware fusion after I installed it on my desktop which runs windows 7(no problems there), not sure if that would affect compatibility or if it is some kind of anti piracy measure but then what would be the point of having it on multiple machines?. Whenever the game starts it attempts to update but fails to do so to the 1.06 version(which I have on my desktop), when I hit continue I see the logo screen but all other menus are black and if I continue my save I just see cloud on a black screen, does anyone know if this is directly related to the updater or is it a known graphical error. I donloaded this game because I planned to be able to play it on all my machines but that went out the window with this error and so far I haven't found a working solution, the error always seems to occur on the second machine used to install the game if that helps. If any admins or devs can help I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

DeKnox
3rd Nov 2012, 10:38
Similar story here. Running Windows 7 on my Mac via Parallels 8, can't start the updater. FFVII loads, but then I get the 'failed to create a useful Direct3D device error.' I've verified that I've set Parallels to run my virtual machine with DirectX 9.0 rather than 10. I'm wondering if the updater that I can't connect to resolves the later Direct3D error.

Update: Updater fix for Parallels users here: http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139347/29369625/FIX_INSIDE:__Black_Menus__Graphics_in_OSX_Parallels

Still getting the Direct3D error though

SE-Chris
5th Nov 2012, 17:44
We apologize for the issues you are experiencing. However, the game was developed for PC's designed to run Windows. If you are are using a utility such as Boot Camp which enables you to run Windows on an Intel-Based Macintosh you may be able to get the game running. However, we can't offer much troubleshooting/technical support for these graphical and loading issues. That being said, the big step here is going to be uninstalling the application from your system and re-installing it; the goal being to allow the system to recreate all the file paths properly and retry any problem updates. In regards to a Direct3D error, we'd recommend downloading the most recent version of DirectX from the Microsoft Site (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35) and update your graphics drivers if possible.

jshantz
9th Nov 2012, 21:42
I am running a PC on Windows and I get a "Can't start the updater" error - please help

sigmajt
12th Nov 2012, 10:30
I am running a PC on Windows and I get a "Can't start the updater" error - please help

same issue here

SE-Chris
13th Nov 2012, 18:28
Could you give us a little more information on this issue:

<ul>
Was the game working at some point before this or is this the first time you've played?
Have you taken any steps to remedy or troubleshoot this yet?
Are you getting any other error codes when you're seeing this issue?
Is this when the game launches from the shortcut or after you click play?
Are you sure you are clicking on the Square Enix North America button before logging in?
[/list]

If the problem persists please reply to this thread and we will endeavor to assist you further.

rhrittmann
23rd Nov 2012, 14:29
So first it's stuck on updating.

Then it says my username doesn't exist?

What the hell SE? Fix your goddamned game.

SE-Chris
28th Nov 2012, 17:34
I am sorry to hear that you are having an issue with the game. If you are able to log into the game please make sure you choose the Square Enix North America option on the left-hand side of the viewer and then log in with the same information you used to log into this site. If you are still running into an update issue we would ask that you double-check your internet connection, wifi, firewall, and anti-virus/anti-malware options to make sure nothing is preventing the game from connecting to the server properly.

member_10633721
25th Jan 2013, 11:58
Today I realized that the game application can not connect properly and tells me there was an error downloading the update files. Then I get the option to retry or continue anyway.

I've tried to do several things I read as run the application as administrator, check my antivirus settings, select the blank proxy and then without proxy but all of these do not gave me results.

My questions are: Can this lead to corrupt saved games? Is it advisable to continue if the application is unable to access my account?

Grimoire
25th Jan 2013, 13:03
[Customer Support Contact Information (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139347/29631857/Customer_Support_Contact_Information)]

SE-Chris
25th Jan 2013, 20:01
You can definitely continue with the installation. The save games will be saved to your drive and then to the server so the connection should not affect the data itself unless the drive gets corrupted. It sounds like there is indeed a connection issue going on here an I would suggest directly connecting the system to the router via Ethernet to bypass any sort of firewalls, routers, etc. which may cause an issue. Secondly, try from another connection if possible and see if the issue persists. Basically once you get this sorted out you'll be good to go.

cheflongtoe
31st Jan 2013, 00:42
Hi, I just reinstalled FFVII after upgrading to Windows 8 from XP and was able to get it running.

I was having the "Can't intall updater" error and occasionally got a "Can't read input configuration file" error as well.

I went to the directory C:\Users\username\Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII and deleted everything in the FINAL FANTASY VII directory.

All of the files and folders in the FINAL FANTASY VII directory were generated when I launched the game and updating proceeded normally, and all my achievements and save games synced when I got into the game.

Hope this helps.

killyourtele
31st Jan 2013, 10:41
I am having the same issue, yet I am running on a native Windows 7. Directx is installed and updated, as are the drivers for all my devices and yet I am still getting the "Error - 100% - Can't start the updater" message when I first start the game.

SE-Chris
31st Jan 2013, 19:56
For all of you uninstalling from previous machines please make sure that you use the following command to make sure the uninstallation doesn't take up one of your installs. "C:/Program Files (x86)\Square Enix\Final Fantasy VII\FF7_Launcher.exe" /revoke

You will also want to make sure that there aren't any other programs running in the background which could prevent the game from connecting. The best way to do this is to use the MSCONFIG command in the run prompt to do a "cleanboot" with no other programs running. Lastly please try directly connecting the system to the modem or internet source if possible. Please reply back if you're still having an issue so we can start troubleshooting your system and connection.

SE-Chris
31st Jan 2013, 19:58
A few people have receive this message in the last day or so, we may have seen an outage by the look of all these posts. Can you please try directly connecting the system to your internet source via Ethernet and try the update again? The server seems to be running properly at the moment so please double check the other threads today to see if your issue has similar results. Thanks!