PDA

View Full Version : Lara Croft Salutes Veterans (custom piccy)

LarzBritsh
9th Nov 2002, 06:44
In honor of Veteran's Day, there is a custom picture I made. Lara salutes the fallen soldiers and soldiers still alive for their sacrifice to the United States.

Since this is Veteran's Day weekend, I feel that we all should be thankful for all that our veterans have done, and pay our tribute.
http://www.laras-levelbase.org/member/trtailor/images/LaraAmerica.jpg

AngieCroft
9th Nov 2002, 10:09
I don't like this topic! :mad:

Data
9th Nov 2002, 12:39
I personally can see no problem with this thread, however it is obvious that there is objection to it.
I will leave the thread open for now and will be monitoring it very closely; please keep it friendly.

GoranAgar
9th Nov 2002, 13:21
Originally posted by AngieCroft
I don't like this topic! :mad:
Being German myself I understand the thought and discomfort behind your reply as we get told over and over rightfully, that our army did horrible things in the past, so it makes it difficult to think of the concept "army" as a good thing. But please understand that most other countries do see their soldiers as honored defenders of their citizens and freedom. Today's German soldiers are performing the same duty now within NATO.

John Carter
9th Nov 2002, 16:29
Well, Larz, thanks for the thought, I know it is well-motivated and well-meant. Be aware that the bomber motif might not be appropriate in the minds of many of our international friends. Many of them are also culturally unused to being appreciative of those who defend their own freedoms. That's for them to work out, though, I have no objections to your sentiments.

I did say I'd not let Lara get overly politicized here though, so I'll lock the thread. What for us is a secular holy day is just some political US thing to many of our foriegn posters. I also suspect Lara isn't much into Veteran's Day, except possibly its UK equivalent. I'd recommend any general expressions of commeration of the day in the General Community Chat forum.

I myself am a combat veteran of the US 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault). I honor my comrades who sacrificed their lives and well-being, for I am fortunate to be whole in body and presumably spirit and mind.

Goran makes a good point down there. I personally trained on several occassions with Bundeswehr soldiers and found them very professional and good folks. Still, in that country, the tendency is to blame the unfortunately necessary profession for the evil of the political masters of long ago. If you Germans believe in your country as it now is, then believe in your soldiers, for they are you. There are many ways to ensure the extinction of human freedom and decency. To denigrate those who put their lives on the line in its defense is one of the surer ways, just like embracing racism or mindlessly chauvinistic nationalism.

Well, time to be off. I must drive several hours to honor many of my regiment's living veterans tonight. Enjoy your Veteran's Day holiday, Larz. :)