PDA

View Full Version : I'm Confused ????

Lady in Black
3rd Nov 2002, 21:13
You guys like to talk alot about making FMs for Thief. But, what is a FM exactly? I know some of you answered that for me already but I just don't get it. Is there a customize Thief Levels? Or do you just create stories about Garrett taffering around? I'm a bit confused.:confused:

TRoosevelt_26
3rd Nov 2002, 21:39
A Fan Mission. We use LGT/S' DromEd to make them and you use ThiefLoader or DarkLoader to play them.

theBlackman
3rd Nov 2002, 22:32
Originally posted by Lady in Black
You guys like to talk alot about making FMs for Thief. But, what is a FM exactly? I know some of you answered that for me already but I just don't get it. Is there a customize Thief Levels? Or do you just create stories about Garrett taffering around? I'm a bit confused.:confused:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/old-ubb/ Go here. Open Fan Missions and how to play.

Komag
3rd Nov 2002, 23:24
My whole website is dedicated to Fan Missions :)

TRoosevelt_26
3rd Nov 2002, 23:26
If you have the connection to download instead of get CDs from Komag (good option, though!), this is a good place to download FMs. (http://thief1.math.uh.edu/thief/missions/)

bravus
4th Nov 2002, 03:02
With the greatest respect to all of the above helpful people, I'm still not sure the responses above will allay Ms in Black's confusion, so I shall make my best attempt. :)

Fan Missions are complete missions that are played using the Thief (or Thief 2) game, and set in the Thief world. They are made using the same tools that were used to make the Original Missions (OMs) that form the commercial games, but are built for the love of it by dedicated fans. Many of the greatest builders of FMs read and post here.

To play FMs you will need a freely downloadable piece of sfotware called Darkloader. Once you have downloaded and installed it, and downloaded an FM, you use Darkloader to install the FM. Then if you open up Thief, instead of the original missions you will start the Fan Mission.

There are a huge number of FMs, in different styles, and different sizes, and different degrees of skill. Some of them are available at the sites listed above, and many of those sites also include ratings that give you some sense of how good - or at least how popular - a certain FM is.

Hope that's useful, and by all means if you've finished the OMs try the FMs!

Bravus

Peter_Smith
4th Nov 2002, 05:08
Hey Miss Black. I suggest that you lose that signature. Check the forum rules for the reason.:)

bravus
4th Nov 2002, 14:52
LOL - it'll be a pity to see it go, 'cos I think she's trying for cute rather than raunchy, but depending on how you call it I can see at least 3 and maybe more contraventions of the Rules in that sig... ;)

I think you can probably fix it, LiB, by removing the written tag line and the copyrighted Lara image. It fits the size restrictions (less than 150 high by 450 wide), and I don't think the image is too suggestive by itself (others may differ in their interpretation). Edit: you may also want to save the graphic as a gif or jpg: at 35k in size the bmp is just over the limit too.

Definitely just a very friendly and 'on your side' reminder, ma'am! ;)

Bravus

TRoosevelt_26
4th Nov 2002, 15:13
I realize the copyright issue is there, but I know Eidos allows great latitude in Lara Croft signatures on the Tomb Raider boards and I believe it is an unwritten custom to allow such things.

Lady in Black
4th Nov 2002, 16:53
Not that I'm trying to disobey the rules but what exactly is the problem? Is it it's size? The picture itself? Or was it the moral that came with it?

Are you trying to say it deals with the size, Bravous?

Lady in Black
4th Nov 2002, 16:58
Never mind I see what you're trying to say.

Peter_Smith
4th Nov 2002, 17:06
It's not a copyright issue, Lady in Black. Please e-mail me if you want a more detailed explanation, which I would be pleased to provide.:)

Chiefdreams
7th Nov 2002, 00:08
I never got to see it. :(

Lady in Black
8th Nov 2002, 20:53
Oh well. Like Peter said to me, you probeley wouldn't make the picture out anyways.:)

Chiefdreams
8th Nov 2002, 21:18
Trust me, if anyone could, I would.

Lady in Black
8th Nov 2002, 21:21
I wish I could show you it but I can't. Peter and the other moderators will kill me.:(

Chiefdreams
8th Nov 2002, 21:39
:O