PDA

View Full Version : Global Young Leaders Conference

Jade
2nd Nov 2002, 20:52
today i've received a letter from school saying i've been nominated for this. i think it's great, although i've never heard of it, so i don't exactly know what it's about... i've received a brochure too, but i'm still a little confused about the whole thing.
do any of you people know about this, could you maybe tell me some more about it?
thx!

John Carter
3rd Nov 2002, 02:34
http://www.cylc.org/gylc/overview/index.html
Official Site

http://www.bedfordschool.org.uk/news/global.htm
UK newspaper report

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2002/12251.htm
Last year's event from the perspective of the US State Department

Sponsoring organization seems to have several programs, including a summit of global young leaders rather than a conference in Australia.

Sponsoring organazation claims support of at least 25 countries.

Based on running a Google search of the phrase, young people from all over the world (India, UK, other nations) who are listed as scholarship winners or having achieved some other distinction list attendance at this conference as one of their experiences.

Program itself sounds very interesting for an intelligent young person.

I believe you had to be nominated by one your educators in school, you might ask if anyone in the Maltese education organization sent in your name.

Bottom line: Sounds like a good experience.

Carter's bad joke, from an "old man" with memories of a different world: If I hadn't read the material on the web, I'd say it sounded like some Commie front organization. As it is, it seems to be some Cappie front organization. ;)

You'd be able to interact with a varied group of other young folks of promise in intellectually stimulating circumstances, and that would be good any way you look at it. I'd advise you to critically evaluate any thought processes introduced to you there, not necessarily with suspicion, but with the understanding that everyone has an agenda of some sort, and you need to make up your own mind about what you hear rather than accept everything at face value.

Having provided you some sources of info, I'd like to ask a small favor of you in return, for research in the writing of a TR fanfic I've not completed for the past 2 years: In what exact building or cemetary in Valletta is located the crypt of Jean de la Vallette, 49th Grandmaster of the Knights of St. John Hospitaller, who sucessfully defended Malta from the huge Ottoman invasion force of Sultan Sulieman the Magnificent? I believe it is in the Church of Our Lady of Victories. If so, approximately how far away is that building from Fort St. Elmo on the entrance to Valletta harbor?

Jade
3rd Nov 2002, 08:11
thank you so much for your researching and opinion! i still have to go through it, but thanx!!!

as for your request, i found this on a maltese website:
"The heroic Grandmaster died on 21st August 1568. He was buried in the church of Our Lady of Victories (where the foundation stone of Valletta (Malta's capital city) was laid in 1566 by La Vallette himself)." i hope that's what you were looking for.

as for the distance, it's about 800-1000 metres, it's not far anyway, but if you want a more exact distance just tell me and i'll figure it out.
if you want to know how to get there, the easiest way is to, when standing at st. elmo facing the centre of valetta, go left into 'merchant street' and go straight on. the church is at the end of the street.

good luck with your writing!!!

John Carter
4th Nov 2002, 02:41
Thank you very much, Jade, that is precisiely the information I needed. Best of luck to you in your educational activities!