PDA

View Full Version : Level Editor

ColtCrazy
2nd Nov 2002, 05:14
Is their a level editor for Hitman 2?
Or will their be one? And when will it be out?
:)

The Captain
2nd Nov 2002, 05:24
Heck, I'm just waiting for some new interesting MODs, so I can get more "games" that use rag doll physics. Out of everything that I love of Hitman 2, that's what I love the most. :D

Zaphod
2nd Nov 2002, 05:38
Colt - no info on a level editor yet. I do know that IOI was tentitavely planning one after Hitman 1, and then some third-party group was making one with IOI support, but both of those things fell through. I... I don't know how that applies to Hitman 2, but I wanted to make myself feel better by spewing forth the little that I do know. :)

I would hope they'll make one. It's a perfect game for it - it's a perfect palatte from which people can make mods and fan missions. Whether they do it or not... remains to be seen.

The Captain
2nd Nov 2002, 07:15
Concidering what I read about the Glacier engine off IOI's site, it seems it'd be very easy for fans to make modifications. I suppose it would require IOI releasing tools allowing users to manipulate the mod would be a bit of a neccessity too...

Of couse that never really ends up getting fans to make new games. Max Payne was released with the actual development tools yet I have yet to see a mod for that game (haven't actually looked however... :D). Ultimately it depends on whether or not fans out there can think of an original concept that motivates them enough to see it through to completion. All in all though, I don't really care. I just want more games with rag doll physics. :D

Salem4
2nd Nov 2002, 18:10
I really hope there will be a level editor and I would think that IO and Eidos would benefit from it as well as the gamers. Just think of Half-Life and Warcraft and how popular they are today. Much of this must be credited to their level-editors. I remember I looked high and low for a level editor for commandos when it was new, and hoped for a editor for hitman: codename 47.

Sneaker-styled mission-based games must be one of the most perfect group of games to make editors for, and most Hitman-players are smart and involved players (not coldblooded killers, as in for exaple max payne where the level editor was not used much.) who will probably do everything to make the game live on.

Zaphod
2nd Nov 2002, 18:31
I always compare the possibiltiy for fan missions to the Ridiculously Thriving editing community built around the Thief games. They've kept that (relatively small) game alive for 2 years.

Although, then you look at equally brilliant games like Deus Ex and No One Lives Forever, both of which have editing tools released, and neither of which has ever garnered any interest in mods or fan missions. So... it's a crap shoot, I suppose.

ColtCrazy
2nd Nov 2002, 22:19
I was surfing the net on info on the level editor for Hitman 2. Then I found this interview at 3D Action Planet for Hitman 2 just before the game got released.

"3DActionPlanet: The Hitman community was saddened greatly to hear about the cancellation of Edit4o7, the unofficial level editor. With the complexity of the gameplay, do you see Hitman/Hitman 2 as an editable game? Are there any plans to release an official editor after the release of Hitman 2?

Jens Peter Kurup: I was impressed with the work effort that Edit4o7 put into the project, and I feel sorry that an editor didn't emerge for Hitman 1. But Hitman 2 is paramount to our company and we want to keep focus on the new version of Glacier to make Hitman 2 the game we want it to be. Hitman 2 is surely an editable game, and I believe that the Hitman community will produce great gaming moments. Their minds seem twisted enough."

If you want to see the rest of the interview the link is below.
Click Here (http://www.3dactionplanet.com/features/interviews/hitman2/) :)

Salem4
7th Nov 2002, 18:46
Any more news on the level editor? Maybe some of us should ask someone in Eidos or IOI if they know anything? Does anyone of you have any contacts in either of the companies?

Salem4
11th Nov 2002, 19:02
Still no news on the editor? Too bad.

pooch
12th Nov 2002, 23:41
I think level editors will slowly fade away. There was an article in a gaming mag that mentioned this. They mentioned that most fans just don't want to take the time anymore to develop new levels. Gaming companies instead are going to bring back "mission packs", that were really heavy back in the Quake days. They mentioned that gaming developers were excited about mission packs because of the excellent profit that could be made IF the original release was a success. But, it got combersome and time consuming, so they released tools. But, technology has helped them proceed with mods faster, allowing the time-factor to be reduced significantly. So...be on the lookout for mission packs, hopefully for Hitman 2!!

ColtCrazy
12th Jan 2003, 20:07
It's been a while since I have posted something about the editing of Hitman.

Click on the link below to learn about an Editor for Hitman One and Two.

It's about 95% Complete and may be out around March or even earlyer.

Cilck on the damn link!

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~hitman47/ikonboard/forums.cgi?forum=5

Saba
16th Jan 2003, 02:42
I only hope they don't delay this like the game.

ColtCrazy
16th Jan 2003, 18:45
Well they almost have it complete. They have to go to IO for a meeting to clear a few things up. But thanks to Xmas they had to delay the meeting for a few weeks... Anyway, info is on the their forum.

Xcom
27th Jan 2003, 18:37
Originally posted by Zaphod
I always compare the possibiltiy for fan missions to the Ridiculously Thriving editing community built around the Thief games. They've kept that (relatively small) game alive for 2 years.

Although, then you look at equally brilliant games like Deus Ex and No One Lives Forever, both of which have editing tools released, and neither of which has ever garnered any interest in mods or fan missions. So... it's a crap shoot, I suppose.

Thief is unique game which almost introduced a completly new game genre. Deus Ex did not (despite it being an excellent game). NOLF even less. IMHO, any kind of tools is better than no tools at all.

Saba
27th Jan 2003, 22:16
I think Hitman has, arguably, invented a genre of its own. Like Thief, this game also has its own fair share of diehard fans. I think a level editor will do rather well.

On the other hand, No One Lives Forever was the sort of game you'd finish quickly, enjoy, and leave behind. It had little replay value beyond a few notable missions, and didn't really encourage much creativity in its gamers as Hitman and Thief did.

Hitman is just the sort of open-ended game that encourages this sort of creativity. Believe me, a level editor will do REALLY well with Hitman. I can imagine tinkering with the game for hours when or if the level editor is released.

Salem4
24th Mar 2003, 15:44
When/if the level editor finally comes, i hope you will make a thread about it and make it sticky so it is impossible to miss it.

I really need the editor.

Sincerely,
The retired Salem4

Muzman
24th Mar 2003, 19:07
This has the whiff of 'small fry' about it. That is, IOI in their newfound riches no longer has the time or the inclination to do anything about it. There's probably even a touch of 'It's ours. get your grubby mits off it' (more a trait of publishers than developers usually, but you never know).
It's just too easy not to give a damn. Don't get your hopes up.