PDA

View Full Version : I am really afraid ...

Godfather
2nd Nov 2002, 02:31
Next year, not only will there be another sequel to the Tomb Raider-franchise, The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment day will also get a sequel. I have seen footage of TR:AOD and it looks great, so I'm not worried about that.

But I most certainly AM about the third installment in the Terminator-saga. IMHO, the first two Terminator-films are instant classics and amongst the greatest of the greatest action-movies ever made! The first one's dark, mysterious, original and thrilling with a fantastic storyline and a most unexpected plot. And the second one is (along with The Matrix) arguably thé most important film when it comes down to special effects. Terminator 2 (or T2) isn't as dark and mysterious anymore as T1, but that's a good thing. Some of the best sequels ever made have changed the original formula of its predecessor in an original way to eventually come up with something equally fantastic! Terminator 2 is a GREAT action-movie simply because it's an original, interesting and above all clever film which proves that not all action-films have stupid plots.
I think I just hope that T3 isn't going to be like Jurassic Park 3: a very straightforward and -insulting-to-the-series, utterly dumb and mega-commercial and therefore typical Hollywood-production made for the money rather than for the fans in which it destroys the magic around the original setup of the previous films. If this film isn't an excellent picture, I'll be disappointed. :mad:

Anyway, my question to you is:

Do you think that T3 is gonna make a fantastic movie or just another "pretty good" action movie which'll then lower the total quality of the entire Terminator-saga? Any sort of thoughts, ideas or even commentary are more than welcome!

Goodbye

TombRaiderChik
2nd Nov 2002, 03:13
i dont think its gonna b brilliant and all i just think itll end up being just one of those other action movies.

DaveJ
2nd Nov 2002, 08:48
Do you think that T3 is gonna make a fantastic movie or just another "pretty good" action movie which'll then lower the total quality of the entire Terminator-saga?

If this were all it took to topple your opinion, then the first two films can't have been as good as you thought.

I'm just looking forward to seeing Kristinna Loken kicking arse again.

Jade
2nd Nov 2002, 13:15
Originally posted by Godfather I think I just hope that T3 isn't going to be like Jurassic Park 3: a very straightforward and -insulting-to-the-series, utterly dumb and mega-commercial and therefore typical Hollywood-production made for the money rather than for the fans in which it destroys the magic around the original setup of the previous films. If this films isn't an excellent picture, I'll be disappointed. :mad: me too!
T1 and T2 were exellent! and i'm pretty sure it won't be what you just said

Godfather
3rd Nov 2002, 00:05
Originally posted by DaveJ

If this were all it took to topple your opinion, then the first two films can't have been as good as you thought.

Could you explain a little more about what you just said? I don't think I really understand what you mean here ... :(

DaveJ
3rd Nov 2002, 08:58
Originally posted by Godfather

Could you explain a little more about what you just said? I don't think I really understand what you mean here ... :(

Whether T3 is excellent or crap should have no bearing on the merits or otherwise of the first two Terminator movies.
They have already proved themselves.
Beverley Hills Cop 3 being crap doesn't hamper my enjoyment or appreciation of the first Beverley Hills Cop movie, for example.

Godfather
3rd Nov 2002, 13:02
Aaaah, that's what you meant. Well, actually you're right, DaveJ. I mean: I would be very disappointed if T3 turned out to be nothing more but an everyday action-movie, but in the end I'd neglect it and focus on the first two.

By the way: I don't know if you liked Jurassic Park and The lost world, but after I had seen the third Jurassic Park, I promised myself (since it wasn't by far as good as the first two) NOT to go crazy over this and simply NOT to buy it on DVD and eventually neglect the third one like it had never been made. I liked the fight between the T-rex and the Spinosaurus though; that was cool. It was also the only decent thing about the film.

Thanks for telling me this. You don't know how important it was that someone reassured me that T1 adn T2 have simply become untouchable throughout their glittering & glammering career! ;)

C ya!

Mackie
4th Nov 2002, 18:52
well since Red Dragon completely sucked ass...THAT'S RIGHT I SAID IT!!!!!!! T3 will follow the path of defeat

DaveJ
4th Nov 2002, 19:14
Red Dragon further clouds the issue by being a prequel and a remake...not a sequel.

Prelude
5th Nov 2002, 14:55
Father….I mean DaveJ has a good point here, alien 4 wasn’t as good as 1 and 2 but I still have the whole series and it didn’t diminish my opinions of the first films. However in disagreement I was horrified at the second The Crow film to be made, I started to watch it and then had to turn it off. For me it was a disgrace to the excellence of the first film, and was a prime example of trying to 'cash in' on something that had worked before, and failed miserably. Maybe my opinions on this are clouded somewhat becos I happen to think The Crow is the best film of all time. As for T3, T1 and T2 are two of my favourite films, and while T2 was a great movie and was cleverly written, it still left me thinking there were questions unanswered, but I can’t deny as a stand-alone movie it was very enjoyable. I can’t help thinking T3 will follow the same path, while it will probably be a good movie, I will still be left thinking, ‘yeah but how? That doesn’t make sense?’

Before you all jump on me and say ‘just enjoy the film dude’ that’s all very well but to me if a film doesn’t make sense and leaves me with an ‘unfinished business’ feeling then I’m sorry I can’t just enjoy it. (unless your talking about Monty Python of course :p )

God Father I wouldn’t let this frighten you however, they are scarier things ‘out there’ believe me I’ve seem some them. Every morning when I wake up and look into the mirror there is this most hideous discussing repulsive form that appears and stares back at me, after several cups and tea and a few cigarettes it seems to disappear, weird.

Godfather
5th Nov 2002, 23:10
Originally posted by Prelude
Godfather I wouldn’t let this frighten you however, they are scarier things ‘out there’ believe me I’ve seem some them. Every morning when I wake up and look into the mirror there is this most hideous discussing repulsive form that appears and stares back at me, after several cups and tea and a few cigarettes it seems to disappear, weird.

Hmmm, strange. Ever tried to fight it ... kill it even maybe? :D

DKSM
5th Nov 2002, 23:15
Originally posted by Godfather

Hmmm, strange. Ever tried to fight it ... kill it even maybe? :D

We all try to kill it, but it hurts us while we try. Wierd, but it seems we are part of it. It is us. We are one, but seperate. Sounds like a good Star Trek episode. :p

Polar_Andromeda
6th Nov 2002, 02:21
The same thing happened w/ the Batman movies. The first 2 were fantastic, but it all went downhill w/ the releasing of Batman: Forever and Batman & Robin.

Godfather
6th Nov 2002, 23:20
Originally posted by Polar_Andromeda
The same thing happened w/ the Batman movies. The first 2 were fantastic, but it all went downhill w/ the releasing of Batman: Forever and Batman & Robin.

Well, the third one was weak but it was the fourth one that was just AWFUL!! I mean: I thought George Clooney was great in "From dusk till dawn" and SUPERB in "O brother, where art thou?", but in Batman 4 he was just a total, walking joke of an actor there. The same goes for Ahnuld who made an even bigger fool out of himself than he has ever done before ...

DaveJ
7th Nov 2002, 09:08
Joel Schumacher says he was under increasing pressure from Warner Bros to stick as many characters and gadgets in the last two Batman movies as possible, so that they could "be sold to the Toy market."

I think his hands were tied.

rocconorth
7th Nov 2002, 09:29
Originally posted by Prelude

God Father I wouldn’t let this frighten you however, they are scarier things ‘out there’ believe me I’ve seem some them. Every morning when I wake up and look into the mirror there is this most hideous discussing repulsive form that appears and stares back at me, after several cups and tea and a few cigarettes it seems to disappear, weird.

Thanks a lot dear!!! What do you expect me to look like in the morning? I need to put my "face" on too.:D

Godfather
8th Nov 2002, 21:40
Originally posted by DaveJ
Joel Schumacher says he was under increasing pressure from Warner Bros to stick as many characters and gadgets in the last two Batman movies as possible, so that they could "be sold to the Toy market." I think his hands were tied.

Maybe so, but I still think George Clooney as Batman is one of the worst casting decision ever made in the history of big-budget action-fantasy movies! :(