PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for controller to use?

Boulderados
2nd Nov 2002, 00:40
My roommate has Hitman 2 for his PS-2 and this is one awesome game! Great job!

Unfortunately the PS2 often disapears into his bedroom so I purchased the PC version of the game. I'm not thrilled using the keyboard/mouse controlls and would like to get a Game Pad Controller for this kind of game. I'm usually a Strategy or Flight Sim kinda gamer.

I was hoping someone could give me their suggestions/ experiences with different controllers on the PC so I can decide which to get. I found no recomendations from EIDOS. Are there any?

Thanks all!

The Captain
2nd Nov 2002, 04:39
There are plenty of dual shock controler clones out there for the PC. Look for one of those. Though I would suggest you just get used to the key board and mouse. It really is worlds better, though this game does play a lot like a console title.

Also, you can get PS/PS2 'jumpers', which allow you to connect and use your PS or PS2 controllers on your PC. Even plenty out there which allow you to use multiple formats, from N64 controllers, to X-box and Dreamcast contorllers.

RedLegg
2nd Nov 2002, 11:35
The reason for "no recommendation from Eidos" is that we do not recommend using one.

The Captain
2nd Nov 2002, 12:55
Because WASD kicks your ass!!! :D

Seriously, it does. Mouse Keyboard is the best. Just keep practicing at it. Once you get used to it, and go back to a controller or joystick, you'll be in love and there will be no turning back. I can hardly stand to play shooters on consoles anymore.

ScriptZ
8th Nov 2002, 01:29
yea i was wondering how to hook a performance gamepad 6 up to make it work with hitman 2 all it has in the options is keyboard/mouse and i really dont like these configurations so if some one could help me out it would be much appreciated thanx....

Saba
9th Nov 2002, 04:13
Hitman 2 should be played as all First Person Shooters were meant to be played and should be played--with a mouse and keyboard. It's much easier with these; I'm sure you'll realize this in due time yourself. Don't waste your money on a new controller, or your time trying to adapt to the one you have.

NeoMaticMan
26th Jan 2003, 05:27
Hitman 2 should be played as all First Person Shooters were meant to be played and should be played--with a mouse and keyboard. It's much easier with these; I'm sure you'll realize this in due time yourself. Don't waste your money on a new controller, or your time trying to adapt to the one you have.

Saba, you talk as if you made the game youself or for that matter, EVERY first person shooter. Who says ALL PC first person shooters were meant to be player or should be played with a mouse and keyboard? So, consumers arent allowed to have preferences? Or are you too broke to purchase a controller or any console system?

Well us people with lives prefer using a controller and its poor business on Eidos' part for not having controller support for this title.

If anyone out there has found a way to use a controller with Hitman 2, please let me know it it was done. I would truly appreciate it.

Saba
26th Jan 2003, 06:16
Welcome to the forums.

Before I say anything, let's take a few seconds to calm down and return to our senses.

Inhale...

Exhale...

Excellent. Now lets talk about the last post and what went wrong.

I did not make Hitman, and would like to assert that I never sounded that way in my last post. I only suggested--that's right, suggested--that PC first person shooters should be--scroll up and check--played with a mouse and keyboard.

I also mentioned that they were meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard. Believe it or not, first person shooters were first designed for PCs before some developers began designing them for consoles as well. The fact that you can POINT AND CLICK--a major concept--makes first person shooters MUCH EASIER. TRY IT. Hitman 2, in fact, was coded primarily for PC, and the previous game was released only on that platform, contrary to unpopular belief. I understand that this might be difficult for you to understand, and I can go into great detail with this, but frankly, I don't have time. God, I should be finishing my Calculus homework.

Furthermore, Neo, I never once even HINTED that consumers cannot have their own preferences. I respect your, and everyone else's opinions on this forum, despite the fact that I do not respect you. If you feel it is easier to play Hitman 2 with a controller, please do so. But you can take my word, and RedLegg's, and use a mouse and keyboard to play the game. Remember, Hitman 2 was NOT EVEN INTENDED FOR USE WITH A CONTROLLER. "ONE WHO KNOWS." DID YOU READ THAT?! Hook up a controller and you'll see for yourself.

To make my post a bit easier to understand, I thought I might address your post point for point:

Saba, you talk as if you made the game you[r]self or for that matter, EVERY first person shooter.
I did not speak as if I made the game meself (in more than one way). I only stated an opinion and a fact. If that bothers you, too bad.

Who says ALL PC first person shooters were meant to be player or should be played with a mouse and keyboard?
I did.

So, consumers aren[']t allowed to have preferences?
Of course they are. And I sincerely respect that. In fact, in stating that Hitman 2 should be played with a mouse and keyboard, I was stating a preference of my own. I wish you would respect that.

Remember your senior Economics in high school? Companies serve to cater to their consumers' preferences. The vast majority of gamers (game consumers--makes sense, doesn't it?) prefer the mystical keyboard/mouse combo. Don't expect Eidos or any publisher, for that matter, to add controller support for you, of all people.

Or are you too broke to purchase a controller or any console system?
Low blow, my friend. You stooped quite low to take it too. I own a Microsoft Sidewinder (waste of money) and a Guillemot Thrustmaster (God, that sounds sick), if that raises my financial standing, which I use for SPORTS GAMES! YES, I SAID SPORTS GAMES! NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH F-I-R-S-T P-E-R-S-O-N S-H-O-O-T-E-R GAMES!

Well us people with lives prefer using a controller and its poor business on Eidos' part for not having controller support for this title.
Another low blow. I'm very disappointed that so few people have lives, by your standards. You need to raise the bar. Eidos did not release the game with controller support because they realized that that would be TRULY UNNECESSARY. FIND ONE PUBLISHER THAT RELEASES A FIRST PERSON SHOOTER WITH CONTROLLER SUPPORT AND I'LL BUY A HUNDRED COPIES OF THEIR GAME AND BURN THEM.

If anyone out there has found a way to use a controller with Hitman 2, please let me know it it was done. I would truly appreciate it.
If this person exists out of your imagination I would be sincerely surprised.

Disclaimer: I am an experienced gamer, and recommend, without intending any insult to you, that first person shooters are much easier to play when you are equipped with a mouse and keyboard.

Forum: A public meeting place for open discussion.
A medium of open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper or a radio or television program.
A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts and often including audience participation.

Read that carefully.

NeoMaticMan
27th Jan 2003, 06:28
~edit~
What about reposting your post but this time without the flaming?

snuffalupagus
18th Mar 2003, 04:33
when i debate on getting a pc game or any game i first judge on how the playablitly is with the controler and user friendly it is before anything else if i have to sit there and stump around looking for the right button or key during the game and not easy to access then the game in my view sucks , even if the graphic and ect. is great. i guess im taking this game back to the store. thats one thing i hate about pc game

Sup_W
31st Mar 2003, 05:32
These should work for yeah.

http://www.softpile.com/Utilities/Miscellaneous/Opinions_07493.html
http://www.zophar.net/joy.html

BTW I've been using a trackball and stick since Doom. And it's always the same story between WASDers and sticker:D So forget about it and play how you want to.;)