PDA

View Full Version : +1

Sham
1st Nov 2002, 22:18
Yes, I expect that at least 80% of you must've seen the post subject decided to shout various expletetives and proceeded to prepare flames. The other 20% probably clicked the wrong link.

Greetings. My name is Sham. I'm a freelance writer, games designer et cetera. I also have great interest in modding, which leads me to the point (I heard you ghasp for breath, you):

What resource, besides the StrategyPlanet fansite, is there available for me to learn how to mod this thing. I think I've gotten the hang of level editing (the major breakthrough there was to realize that I really don't NEED an actual editor. Sometimes I suspect that I'd walk into doors if opening them wasn't ingrained).

Second, while I'm extremely brand-new to this community (and therefore completely devoid of all knowledge of the intricate details, quirks and customs small and old communities tend to develop. I frankly suspect I'll get poked, kicked, condomized or turned into a politician due to some silly little custom before the day is over), I am far from being new to the game. I bought it when it was relatively new, and have spent night and day shouting at people for buying Tomb Raider and Command & Conquer instead of StarTopia. I then got tired of screaming, as my throat was starting to swell, so I let do with picketing, then graffitti and now I simply just wear t-shirts with slogans and curses, to save me the strength. But having finished the game twice and after countless sandbox missions, I feel that I have at least *some* knowledge of the game (i.e. too short).

Yes, I'm going to stop now. Those that made it so far; Kudos. To the rest I say both sorry, and then mumble "morons". Of course, if you didn't make it this far, you didn't read this either (unless you are one of those people that read posts backwards, from bottom up), and I get to call you idiots without facing any complications.

Whee

Mucky Foot
1st Nov 2002, 23:46
Hiya. Welcome. We don't have too many strange list customs. I'm sure you'll pick it up as you go along.

The main places to look for modding stuff are:

Muckyfoot's page (http://www.muckyfoot.com/startopia/startopia.html) - see both the Mod FAQ and the modding guide.
StarTopia Post (http://www.strategyplanet.com/startopia/) - for all your downloading needs.
...and it's certainly worth downloading a few of the missions from the StarTopia Post and hacking them to bits to see how they work. Or indeed the built-in missions for that matter.

Hey - AlphaOmega - the Targatelli mission doesn't seem to be on your list of mods. I thought it was on our site somewhere, but now I look I can't find it.

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.

Arctic_Wolf
2nd Nov 2002, 00:50
Hello

cryptophore
2nd Nov 2002, 02:12
The mod FAQ is a good start. You can also learn abit by loooking at other folks mods.

There's also a lot of gotchas in there not mentioned in the mod guide that I wound up having to learn in my own.

Another good hint, is turn on the scriptinfo 'cheat' (type SCRIPTINFO while holding F11, and then hit alt-tab) and it will tell you if teres any errors in your mish file.

cryptophore
2nd Nov 2002, 02:41
Here's one not mentioned clearly in the MOD faq.

Expression parser can only handle two things at a time. a+b+c will generate a script error. You have to break it up with parenthesis, so for example it becomes: (a+b)+c

Boy that sucked figuring that one out the hard way.

Hand-E-Food
2nd Nov 2002, 02:45
Hand-E-Food pokes, kicks and ridicules Sham.

Just to set you at ease. That's probably the most you'll get. You'll find us to be a friendly bunch.

If you can program in BASIC, you should be set. There are some features that I would have liked to have access to (such as the current Comsensor/Laboratory/Security skill levels), but what they've provided is fairly comprehensive, if not a little inconsistent.

Hand-E-Food
2nd Nov 2002, 02:50
Originally posted by cryptophore
Another good hint, is turn on the scriptinfo 'cheat' (type SCRIPTINFO while holding F11, and then hit alt-tab) and it will tell you if teres any errors in your mish file.
Make that:

Hold F11 and type SCRIPTINFO. VAL will resond with a random message. Now press LeftShift+Tab and RightShift+Tab to scroll back and forth through the pages (not Alt+Tab which will take you to the desktop).

On that note, StarTopia will Alt+Tab without any problems if you do it from the main menu. It will take a while to recover when you go back in while it reinitialises the graphics, but it can be quicker than quitting everytime your script stuffs up.

MunkeeChum
2nd Nov 2002, 11:50
Hello there, I'm glad your here actually, our community's not dead yet :)

Welcome and happy modding :)

DMA57361
2nd Nov 2002, 11:56
Whay! Join in with the modding crowd! More modders mean more people may play the game. :)

One of the best think I found to learn was to rip appart someone elses mission to see what everthing does. I used the FAQ for when I didn't understand a command.

Anyway. Rip apart some custom missions to see how they work. I recommend mine (well I would, wouldn't I ;)) and Slinks - her's are what I ripped appart. :)

Also - as Hand-E-Food says. The SCRIPTINFO command is VITAL for debugging. You must starting using it now if you are to get used to it. It provides general script errors as well as values for any variable - so you can see what's going on.

Most other stupid anoyances have been mentioned. The "a + b+ c = ARGH PANIC ERROR" being an important one. Just remember the brackets. Also on this count, I'm pretty sure you cannot use decimal values, when I wanted to reduce a number to 75% I had to devide by 100, then multiply by 75. Odd, but hey - it worked.

Hmmm. Maybe with all this modders about MF will release some of the source code for the peeps / buildings? No? Darn. Worth checking.

Hand-E-Food
4th Nov 2002, 00:16
All variables are integers (zero decimal places). also, if you are multiplying and dividing, it's good practice to multiply first so as to avoid rounding off errors.

For example, to add 25% to a loan:

Set TotalPayment ((Loan * 125) / 100)

is better than:

Set TotalPayment (Loan * (125 / 100))

because (125 / 100) = 1.25 and after rounding it equals 1.00.

JSWY
8th Nov 2002, 14:34
Greetings! (Does V symbol)

Since you're here and hopefully full of creativity, you can join in some of our RPG's, take a look at the community board for all current details so far...

Meddling Grey
9th Nov 2002, 01:26
<cough-targatelli-cough>

http://www.muckyfoot.com/oldnews.html

Gemslug
9th Nov 2002, 14:09
Hello there.

AlphaOmega
9th Nov 2002, 20:51
Hey - AlphaOmega - the Targatelli mission doesn't seem to be on your list of mods. I thought it was on our site somewhere, but now I look I can't find it.
Hmm... Don't know how I missed it. I'll add it with the next update. Perhaps I would have known about it sooner if you guys answered your damn email!

*grumbles about never getting replys to important issues*